Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,447 members, 7,808,598 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:01 PM

Help Me Define My Career Path - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Help Me Define My Career Path (11137 Views)

Does Your Business Define Who You Are? / Define Your Career Life With One Word - See Funny Answers. / How To Further My Career In Canada With Nigeria HND (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help Me Define My Career Path by SpaceAngel: 3:04pm On Apr 28, 2021
I'm not sure how the educational system works these days, but I advice you to take the path that will lead you to getting a good first degree in electrical/electronic engineering. Geology/Geophysics will narrow you chances in future, also don't put your future in oil. An electronic/electrical also works in the oil industry but you have to think of the future. A whole lot of courses we have now will be irrelevant in the future. Electronic/electrical will still be relevant to a great extent.
No matter the University you attend make sure you get at least a 2:1, the name of the institution is secondary. Good grades will enable you to be invited for interviews in case you are interested in employment and also enable you to go for higher educational qualification in case you want to study further.

Goodluck.
Re: Help Me Define My Career Path by bragamycin: 3:21pm On Apr 28, 2021
pathfinder123:
Urgent Advice needed. I have upper class in electrical electronics (ND level) 3.02cpa.

The course was not accredited in time but It has been accredited last year and I have obtained the certificate.

While waiting at home, I opt for geophysics at a university.

Should I continue with the geophysics, note, I am at 200 level. OR get a direct entry form and go into electrical electronics engineering proper?.

I can do well with numbers and Physics.
Secondly, which of these training school is popular in the oil and industry:
1 Gabson Professional School of Safety and Engineering Ltd,
2 Mudiame Welding Institute Limited,
3 Skytraine International Limited,
4 BOMI Steel and Pipeline Engineering Company Limited.

Which of them can offer me an American society for welder certificate (AWS).

Thirdly which skills are the most in-demand in the oil sector currently?

I need your honest advice please because I am in a fix.

Finish ur geophysics and try to gain skills in GIS.. if geophysics is a four year course, biko if u have time, u can add that ur EE..
Re: Help Me Define My Career Path by Durklil: 4:30pm On Apr 28, 2021
Google it
Re: Help Me Define My Career Path by saajus: 4:32pm On Apr 28, 2021
First, what do you like? I believe you know what Geophysicists do and you know what Electrical Electronics Engineers do. Again, what do you like?

In my personal opinion, Electrical Electronics make you more broad cos you can decide to diversify into Computer Engineering, Software/firmware developer, Power, Telecom Engineer. Geophysics is a bit limited in opportunities in this part of the world but it will expand your brain. It is a very fantastic course. Electrical Electronics will open you to several opportunities.

Remember, your first degree does not determine your career path. The first degree only sets you up. You will determine what you want to be. The question again, what do you like? If you are young, switch. Even if you don't switch, you are good. Just know what you want. Trust me, the first degree is just the beginning of education.
Re: Help Me Define My Career Path by rowosky(m): 4:48pm On Apr 28, 2021
izzyybothe17:

Met and Mat isn’t bad . Huh
Please can you tell me why.
Re: Help Me Define My Career Path by maritime1: 5:42pm On Apr 28, 2021
Since you are building yourself towards working in oil sector by attaining (AWS), meaning you are building towards becoming QA/QC( Pipeline welding inspection). My advice just continue banging the certification by going to skytrainne and add ASNT (America standards of Non-destructive testing), get your bosiet and OSP( offshore safety permit). If you still have the resources, add Rope access to it. Mehn, School is just a scam. With just that your OND In electrical backed with the certification, you will be earning not less than 1meter every month. I have couple of friends with just WAEC degree but have all those certification that have build mansion. Put more energy in attaining those certification than going back to get degree.

1 Like

Re: Help Me Define My Career Path by femi4: 6:07pm On Apr 28, 2021
pathfinder123:
My heart goes out to those who have contributed to this thread. I will take every piece of advice to heart. No one who has contributed useful advice here will make mistake in life.
I have met my HOD, he gave me two conditions 1 if my GPA is still in the Ist class level, He will not let me go. 2. He will advise me to go to electrical electronic If I were his boy because I am good with numbers.
Don't Dull....It's elect elect or nothing. We do more than numbers anyway
Re: Help Me Define My Career Path by pathfinder123: 6:42pm On Apr 28, 2021
flexyrule:
The risk and suffer-head there too much abeg
Why did you say so?
Re: Help Me Define My Career Path by flexyrule(m): 8:04pm On Apr 28, 2021
pathfinder123:
Why did you say so?
Because there are other things you can do in life that'll produce the same output (or even better) without you going through plenty of risk and stress.
Re: Help Me Define My Career Path by ayenale1(m): 9:34pm On Apr 28, 2021
Im a geologist but end up a teacher and i have geophysics folks who are bankers and teachers few are currently doing their masters...my brother my kind advise is go for EE or anything engineering don't ever go near anything Geo
Re: Help Me Define My Career Path by izzyybothe17: 4:03am On Apr 29, 2021
rowosky:

Please can you tell me why.

For me , it’s a plus for you. For materials, application ranges and spans across the polymer industries , mining , structural as you have ideas about strength of materials and co , even the aerospace sector . And for the metallurgical part allows you entry into all sectors dealing with extraction and purification of metals .

It’s a nice course and I’m sure you gonna find it interesting . Metallurgy and materials engineering is quite okay and great �
Re: Help Me Define My Career Path by shegun4sur: 5:04am On Apr 29, 2021
pathfinder123:
Urgent Advice needed. I have upper class in electrical electronics (ND level) 3.02cpa.

The course was not accredited in time but It has been accredited last year and I have obtained the certificate.

While waiting at home, I opt for geophysics at a university.

Should I continue with the geophysics, note, I am at 200 level. OR get a direct entry form and go into electrical electronics engineering proper?.

I can do well with numbers and Physics.
Secondly, which of these training school is popular in the oil and industry:
1 Gabson Professional School of Safety and Engineering Ltd,
2 Mudiame Welding Institute Limited,
3 Skytraine International Limited,
4 BOMI Steel and Pipeline Engineering Company Limited.

Which of them can offer me an American society for welder certificate (AWS).

Thirdly which skills are the most in-demand in the oil sector currently?

I need your honest advice please because I am in a fix.

You're asking the right questions.
Never miss the opportunity to get all the certifications you need to enhance your proficiency.
Except a bachelor's degree is compulsory, which it is, those certifications give you a better edge.
Get someone in the oil and gas sector to be your mentor.
Re: Help Me Define My Career Path by rowosky(m): 8:36am On Apr 29, 2021
izzyybothe17:

For me , it’s a plus for you. For materials, application ranges and spans across the polymer industries , mining , structural as you have ideas about strength of materials and co , even the aerospace sector . And for the metallurgical part allows you entry into all sectors dealing with extraction and purification of metals .

It’s a nice course and I’m sure you gonna find it interesting . Metallurgy and materials engineering is quite okay and great �
Okay thanks boss
Re: Help Me Define My Career Path by samx4real(m): 10:48am On Apr 29, 2021
Use your school fees money rent one shop and use your tuition fee take equip am with minerals or clothes.

Business don start be that...

Thank me later.

School na scam oh, after graduation you go need to know somebody when know somebody when know somebody before you go get work oh.

I don talk my own.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Going Back To School At Age 34 / An Intensive Three Days Training On 3D Epoxy Flooring / What Is The Best Career?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.