Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,341 members, 7,808,203 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:38 AM

Curfew In North Affects Prices In South - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Curfew In North Affects Prices In South (7724 Views)

Aliyu Congratulates Buhari, Declares Curfew In Niger / Fayose Imposes Dusk To Dawn Curfew In Ekiti / Governor Yero Imposes 24 Hour Curfew In Kaduna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by AbuMaryam1(m): 1:15am On Apr 23, 2011
ekt_bear:

What we need is to make capital more available to farmers. Farm unions, agricultural co-ops. Bigger farms (no more of this one man/family scraping some tiny plot of land, or several tiny plots somewhere.) More technology.

Don't really need the north to farm, just need to farm more productively.
Mhm! what you dont understand is, is not making farming lucrative that matters, but you cant trnsform your soil PH from it acidity to alkaline, number natural failure, Despite that most of your younger generation are criminals they prefer kidnapping, breaking and entering, you see it will cost the government of southern nigeria huge amount to deal with the situation. You still need a visa to come down to zaria and buy tomato for your consumption which will cost you much money, ha ha ha , nna na wa o!!!! Great Arewa Republic.(GAR)
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Ystranger: 1:21am On Apr 23, 2011
ekt_bear:

^-- We don't need a large # of people farming, lol. We just need to shift from primitive farming techniques to modern ones. 40% or so of the economy is agriculture, but a lot of that is a guy with a hoe laboring by himself over a field. Not using a tractor, fertilizer, chemicals, etc.
The PDF I posted is for commercial farming, which again doesn't require as many people.
I'm GLAD that people are moving off of the farm. Hopefully those old farmers will sell of their farmlands so we can consolidate and have huge, efficient farms.
Moving off of the farms is a good thing. . . the US already went through this process

I totally agree with you that  if Nigeria is to be reckoned among the truly advanced and prosperous nations of the world, measures must
be introduced that would considerably reduce the number of people engaged in farming and at the same time absorb those
displaced from the farmlands. This must, however, only follow after an improvement of the efficiency  and productivity of the farming population through the introduction  of modern and scientific methods of farming throughout the country, which is totally lacking right now. As of now, at this point in our history/development, what we need is more people pending when we can mechanize. That is the advantage the North has over us in the South.

Right now, the majority of the population is not investment conscious, so the government, either directly or through its agencies, would have to stimulate and increase agricultural productivity . Something I dont think this government is willing to do, for the ROI on agriculture isnt as buoyant or lucrative as importing refined 'oyel' from Obodo-Oyinbo.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by ektbear: 1:21am On Apr 23, 2011
Abu-Maryam:

Mhm! what you dont understand is, is not making farming lucrative that matters, but you cant trnsform your soil PH from it acidity to alkaline, number natural failure,
As the PDF I linked to shows, the soil in the south is suitable for growing tomatoes. The issue is not PH. Just more plant diseases in the south than I guess the dry savannah. Those diseases reduce yield, not don't reduce it to zero.

Plus, Kwara State and most of the middle belt is Savannah.

And if that doesn't work. . . we import from any # of the following countries that produce enormous amounts of tomatoes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tomato_production

Great Arewa Republic.(GAR)
Sai Great Arewa Republic
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Ystranger: 1:23am On Apr 23, 2011
ZnO:

The North will also depend on the South (or get from elsewhere) for the following
Plantains, banana, oranges, Yam, rice, cassava palm oil (okay they will eat g/nut oil lol)

Frankly, it takes a couple of Igbo importers to flood southern Nigeria (or at least Igbo land if the country is dividing) with food produce as a stop gap. Meanwhile large scale food cultivation goes on. In parts of the East, namely Imo and Anambra, land will no longer be an issue because we (the Igbo intelligentsia) will introduce landless farming to augment land still abundantly available in Ebonyi, Enugu and Abia.

The days land dictate agriculture are coming to an end.

[size=18pt]ROFLMAO[/size]

You just copied that from me. There is nothing like Igbo intelligentsia investing in agriculture.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by ektbear: 1:30am On Apr 23, 2011
Ystranger:

I totally agree with you that  if Nigeria is to be reckoned among the truly advanced and prosperous nations of the world, measures must
be introduced that would considerably reduce the number of people engaged in farming and at the same time absorb those
displaced from the farmlands.
Agreed. Ideally, you suck them off of the farm into manufacturing.

This must, however, only follow after an improvement of the efficiency  and productivity of the farming population through the introduction  of modern and scientific methods of farming throughout the country, which is totally lacking right now. As of now, at this point in our history/development, what we need is more people pending when we can mechanize. That is the advantage the North has over us in the South.
Err, not sure I understand what you are saying here.

Right now, the majority of the population is not investment conscious, so the government, either directly or through its agencies, would have to stimulate and increase agricultural productivity .
Who said we aren't investment conscious? It just requires lots of money to do right. And the loans are not available at good rates. There is an existing program where you can get the AMAZING rate of 9% (iirc?), but you need to have $3 million (or so) in capital to qualify. And the mentality of most Nigerians isn't to go into business with others to raise capital, partner up, etc. They want to do a one-man operation.

Something I dont think this government is willing to do, for the ROI on agricultural isnt as buoyant or lucrative as importing refined 'oyel' from Obodo-Oyinbo.
The return on investment for farming is pretty solid. Rice farming will get you about a 30-35% ROI, for example. That is a very good return.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by ZnO: 1:40am On Apr 23, 2011
Abu-Maryam:

Wow! Ignorance
You can transform an acidic soil readily into alkaline soil. What is the purpose of calcium oxide?
In any case, not every crop requires alkaline soil
It is the North that will suffer because eventually the south will produce enough food to feed itself using modern knowledge. Then the North will beg the south to buy their food because they need money for other necessities.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by AljUche: 1:42am On Apr 23, 2011
ZnO:

The North will also depend on the South (or get from elsewhere) for the following
Plantains, banana, oranges, Yam, rice, cassava palm oil (okay they will eat g/nut oil lol)

Frankly, it takes a couple of Igbo importers to flood southern Nigeria (or at least Igbo land if the country is dividing) with food produce as a stop gap. Meanwhile large scale food cultivation goes on. In parts of the East, namely Imo and Anambra, land will no longer be an issue because we (the Igbo intelligentsia) will introduce landless farming to augment land still abundantly available in Ebonyi, Enugu and Abia.

The days land dictate agriculture are coming to an end.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

igbo what grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy ohanrze or what cheesy cheesy
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by ZnO: 1:47am On Apr 23, 2011
Alj Uche:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

igbo what grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy  ohanrze or what cheesy cheesy

Ohaneze will be talking politics and socio-economics
Technocrats like me will be talking R&grin (if you know what that means) to move Igboland forward.
It is not my fault that the North (hausa/fulani/kanuri) has refused to modernize.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Nadanbata: 1:54am On Apr 23, 2011
Who cares let them import from Benin and Cameroon? cheesy cheesy
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by ZnO: 1:59am On Apr 23, 2011
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by AljUche: 2:02am On Apr 23, 2011
ZnO:

Ohaneze will be talking politics and socio-economics
Technocrats like me will be talking R&grin (if you know what that means) to move Igboland forward.
It is not my fault that the North (hausa/fulani/kanuri) has removed to modernize.
grin grin grin grin grin o'boy R&grin can mean anything

technocrat my backside grin grin grin grin i just hope u are not part of the igbo interle.,.cha,.,ia cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by emmke(m): 12:09pm On Apr 23, 2011
actually benue, plateau, nassarawa, kogi in that order, produce the buck of food stuffs in nigeria, so am sure we wont miss the hausas. I just only hope that we middle belters wont be marginalised in ur hypothetical southern nigeria. Thank u.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by namfav(m): 12:23pm On Apr 23, 2011
let them pay more for the food angry
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Danasco(m): 12:25pm On Apr 23, 2011
See how important we are to each other? i pray this come to an end sha.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by ibedun: 12:47pm On Apr 23, 2011
Love these banters

Knowledge is nothing until applied

Potential is nothing until used and results created

Listen to my southern brothers and sisters mouthing off

Until and Until the south ACTUALLY start producing those tomatoes, onions, beef etc please give credit where its due.

For now BUHARISTAN (lots of credits to whoever coined this word) deserves much credit.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Arosa(m): 12:50pm On Apr 23, 2011
ZnO:

Abu-Maryam:

Wow! Ignorance
You can transform an acidic soil readily into alkaline soil. What is the purpose of calcium oxide?
In any case, not every crop requires alkaline soil
It is the North that will suffer because eventually the south will produce enough food to feed itself using modern knowledge. Then the North will beg the south to buy their food because they need money for other necessities.
grin grin grin True that! grin grin grin
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Johnpaul2k2(m): 12:51pm On Apr 23, 2011
This is someone's child and also another lovely man's wife to be,
Wicked hausas and buhari and bakare and some uneducated idi.ot in northerner including devlish fo.o.l. God will never forgive them. Amen

Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by 190: 1:03pm On Apr 23, 2011
why is there coffin in the north

Did people die there undecided
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by muhsin(m): 1:14pm On Apr 23, 2011
Thats Nigeria. Leave us as we are. Simple.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by martyns303(m): 1:22pm On Apr 23, 2011
look at this aboki's' feeling important, i'll tell u how its going to be. Now picture with me, the north goes of, the south will feel it heavily for, say 3-4 months, the middle belt will then need to step up their production capacity. I see my igbo brothers importing food items like crazy, to keep up the demand. Then over 1000000000000 foreign farmers and companies begging to come and invest in the south. And the most interesting part, 90% of Nigeria's revenue comes from oil, now imagine that money being available to only 75 million people (75 million North gone), that means more money, more infastructure, more development, better education (oh the aboki's don't like education either way-boko haram). Now i'll tell you what will happen to the North, their market will be so flooded wit tomatoes that 30 bags of tomatoes will be sold for N1000 or less, farming won't be interesting to the farmers anymore. These aboki's will just farm and eat the farm product, atleast they will survive but that will be about it, just farm and eat. Don't even mentioning exporting, to where? How many seaports do they have? They want to use jumbo jets, who dash them. Them go surfer come black pass kiwi polish.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by ohemmanu: 1:35pm On Apr 23, 2011
martyns303:

look at this aboki's' feeling important, i'll tell u how its going to be. Now picture with me, the north goes of, the south will feel it heavily for, say 3-4 months, the middle belt will then need to step up their production capacity. I see my igbo brothers importing food items like crazy, to keep up the demand. Then over 1000000000000 foreign farmers and companies begging to come and invest in the south. And the most interesting part, 90% of Nigeria's revenue comes from oil, now imagine that money being available to only 75 million people (75 million North gone), that means more money, more infastructure, more development, better education (oh the aboki's don't like education either way-boko haram). Now i'll tell you what will happen to the North, their market will be so flooded wit tomatoes that 30 bags of tomatoes will be sold for N1000 or less, farming won't be interesting to the farmers anymore. These aboki's will just farm and eat the farm product, atleast they will survive but that will be about it, just farm and eat. Don't even mentioning exporting, to where? How many seaports do they have? They want to use jumbo jets, who dash them. Them go surfer come black pass kiwi polish.

Can't just stop laughing grin
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Sarahluv(f): 1:48pm On Apr 23, 2011
Now is the time for the South to pay more than lip-service to developing agriculture. Happenings in the North should not continue to affect the prices in the South, going forward.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Ystranger: 1:52pm On Apr 23, 2011
Sarahluv:

Now is the time for the South to pay more than lip-service to developing agriculture. Happenings in the North should not continue to affect the prices in the South, going forward.

What are you doing to help the south in this regards?
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by ak47mann(m): 2:15pm On Apr 23, 2011
Sarahluv:

baby we are working on it tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Ystranger:

back off angry angry angry angry
martyns303:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin i don die
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Nobody: 2:20pm On Apr 23, 2011
Necessity is the mother of invention. Just split the phocking country and every other thing will fall into place for the south as long as there's oil money. UAE and other gulf states don't have good lands for faming yet their citizens live decent lives.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Sarahluv(f): 2:28pm On Apr 23, 2011
Ystranger:

Making hay while the sun shines. Gonna start some fish farming when I return to the south ( where I have some land available for me)
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Sarahluv(f): 2:30pm On Apr 23, 2011
ak47mann:

baby we are working on it tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue back off angry angry angry angry grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin i don die

It really has to be a matter of following elaborate policies with regards to the agricultural development. Nice looking out.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by mrmayor(m): 2:33pm On Apr 23, 2011
Who  cares if food prices go up? Certainly not Europeanized/Americanized Sheltered Nairalanders, hell No! Why should you care? the " Abokis" have nothing on you!

It affects low income families, Okada drivers, Nurses, Teachers, Civil Servants and a host of Nigerians. Like it or not the Muslim Sharia North feeds the South.

I hate to admit it but Nigeria is not splitting any time soon
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by EzeUche3(m): 2:35pm On Apr 23, 2011
^^^

Speak for yourself. The only region that is somewhat impacted by the prices is the SW. The East does not rely on the North for the majority of the food.

People value their lives more than some little increase in food.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Ystranger: 2:44pm On Apr 23, 2011
^^^

Learn to keep quiet fool

You are 23 yrs old. You have never lived in Nigeria. So STFU and let people with brains and experience talk.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by EzeUche3(m): 2:45pm On Apr 23, 2011
Ystranger:

^^^

Learn to keep quiet fool

You are 23 yrs old. You have never lived in Nigeria. So STFU and let people with brains and experience talk.

Who the helll do you think you are talking about you demonic animal?

Do not confuse me with ekt_bear you stupiddd arse bastardd.

People think you should be banned. Do not get upset with me, because all of Nairaland consider you a souless pig.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by ak47mann(m): 2:46pm On Apr 23, 2011
EzeUche__:

Who the helll do you think you are talking about you demonic animal?

Do not confuse me with ekt_bear you stupiddd arse bastardd.

People think you should be banned. Do not get upset with me, because all of Nairaland consider you souless pig.

shocked shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tribute To DIG Haruna John: / An Okada Man (hausa) Stabs A Trader To Death (igbo) Naij.com / Akinlade’s ‘lazy’ petition shameful to Democracy –APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.