Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,819 members, 7,802,627 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:44 PM

Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! (19055 Views)

What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 / Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? / Top5 Jobs That Pay More Than Medicine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Nobody: 4:28pm On Apr 27, 2021
sequel to this thread , https://www.nairaland.com/6525528/mum-insists-medicine-nothing

....I've had a similar encounter which im inundated to share .
I grew up in a loving family tbh there wasn't a case of tyranny or blackmail ,my parents just try to give you enough reasons why you should do certain things until you run out of arguments to buttress why you don't think their discisions is or was rather the right one

anyways I had passion for technical drawing during the course of secondary school ,I was one of the best students in that art form ,however my first jamb which I registered and had applied architecture was a disaster, although I could remember vividly we was in a friendly competition as to who would secure admission first coupled with the pressure of writing waec and neco

I think I discovered nairaland during that time because we scout the internet throughout the night with our illegal phones looking for who would send the waec expo ,shit was wild tbh

long story short after being shown the realities of the job market in nigeria and using alot of relatives as examples loooool ..I finally settled for medicine..im an average student ,that is to say I've to work hard befor I get good grades ...,not naturally high IQ for those who care about the neurological aspect ,thats what it is

wrote jamb 5 times and now I'm here ..did I regret studying med? ..never did, there are challenges but whatever it is ,it would be worth it .

the job market for medical sci graduate is wide and one does not have to be at the hospital everyday to have that fulfilment ,some of my seniors are now teachers in the dept .
thing is medicine just propels you to a second class citizen immediately you graduate
as far as ones parents would fully support them to study medicine I don't see reasons why they should refuse that offer ,shit is expensive anyway .

whatever you do in nigeria ..passion is never enough ,just do what works ,this isn't anyway deride people who have followed their passion and made it

there's always a percentage lads .

NB I didnt edit this ,time no dey!

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by venmotors(m): 6:56pm On Apr 28, 2021
33bandit:
sequel to this thread , https://www.nairaland.com/6525528/mum-insists-medicine-nothing

I grew up in a loving family tbh there wasn't a case of tyranny or blackmail ,my parents just try to give you enough reasons why you should do certain things until you run out of arguments to buttress why you don't think their discisions is or was rather the right one

anyways I had passion for technical drawing during the course of secondary school ,I was one of the best students in that art form ,however my first jamb which I registered and had applied architecture was a disaster, although I could remember vividly we was in a friendly competition as to who would secure admission first coupled with the pressure of writing waec and neco

I think I discovered nairaland during that time because we scout the internet throughout the night with our illegal phones looking for who would send the waec expo ,shit was wild tbh

long story short after being shown the realities of the job market in nigeria and using alot of relatives as examples loooool ..I finally settled for medicine..im an average student ,that is to say I've to work hard befor I get good grades ...,not naturally high IQ for those who care about the neurological aspect ,thats what it is

wrote jamb 5 times and now I'm here ..did I regret studying med? ..never did, there are challenges but whatever it is ,it would be worth it .

the job market for medical sci graduate is wide and one does not have to be at the hospital everyday to have that fulfilment ,some of my seniors are now teachers in the dept .
thing is medicine just propels you to a second class citizen immediately you graduate
as far as ones parents would fully support them to study medicine I don't see reasons why they should refuse that offer ,shit is expensive anyway .

whatever you do in nigeria ..passion is never enough ,just do what works ,this isn't anyway deride people who have followed their passion and made it

I agree with u bro
In my case I wanted to study vet but my parent said either u do pure medicine or we are not paying ur fees

I cried, I talk
I thank God today, I don't regret it one bit
I'm the encouraging my junior bro to study medicine, thats how much I love it

18 Likes

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Nobody: 9:14am On Apr 29, 2021
venmotors:

I agree with u bro
In my case I wanted to study vet but my parent said either u do pure medicine or we are not paying ur fees

I cried, I talk
I thank God today, I don't regret it one bit
I'm the encouraging my junior bro to study medicine, thats how much I love it

seriously ..alot of my class mates were pressured into it too ..including i but ive nit seen anyone grovelling about hating it ..

in nigeria passion for a vocation is not ev3rything ..one would need more than that

7 Likes

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:46pm On Apr 29, 2021
post=101169122:
Honestly,
We do feel that kids should be exposed to a wide variety of things - academic, cultural, artistic, social etc,
But they need to also have time to just socialize, play or do nothing.

A lot of the kids that we see who have been overscheduled and pressured academically are stressed and miserable.
They may lack social skills because they don’t have the chance to interact with peers.
They are only engaging in these activities because they are being forced to and are under terrible pressure to excel believing they will disappoint their parents or be punished if they don’t.

We understand that many parents see their children as a reflection of themselves and feel the only way for them to ever be successful, or to be more successful than they are, is to excel in school.
Unfortunately, it takes more to succeed in life than good grades.

Naija parents, we hope you learn one or two things from the above.

We Rise!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Marvieduke(f): 5:46pm On Apr 29, 2021
Studying medicine was difficult and I hail those that studied that course because you guys are the real deal to life. Cheers to all doctors and nurses all over the world.

98 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by sofeo(m): 5:46pm On Apr 29, 2021
Ok.
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Nobody: 5:47pm On Apr 29, 2021
33bandit:

seriously ..alot of my class mates were pressured into it too ..including i but ive nit seen anyone grovelling about hating it ..

in nigeria passion for a vocation is not ev3rything ..one would need more than that
.. including I?
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Skillsnigeria: 5:47pm On Apr 29, 2021
hmmm
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by ictjobber: 5:47pm On Apr 29, 2021
No parent want their kid to suffer..
Passion doesn't pay bills in Nigeria, but a good degree does. And the only good degree in Nigeria na MBBS, others na nonsense — The oga pata pats of them all na BL (BACHELOR OF LAW).

35 Likes

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by bigdammyj: 5:47pm On Apr 29, 2021
Noted
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Offpoint1: 5:47pm On Apr 29, 2021
Now I understand why Nigeria and ALL black nation is backward... their love for money.

98% of Nigerians go to school because of MONEY A.K.A JOB.... No selfless drives, no drives to invent things that will register their names on a golden book.
The whites knows how money driven the black nations are, that's why they keep luring them out and buy them off.

DOCTOR pays WELL
ENG. PAYS well

This pay well, that well....

Nigerians parents wants you to make up for their failures, it has nothing to do with LOVE.

66 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by obonujoker(m): 5:48pm On Apr 29, 2021
Rubbish.

Engineering is a lot better than Medicine... Versatility in all area of life rather than to be confined to one paradigm of thought grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by chinchonglee(m): 5:49pm On Apr 29, 2021
Nonsense!
Do you know who second class citizens are

4 Likes

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Ihatethemods2: 5:50pm On Apr 29, 2021
Wow
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by babansamu(m): 5:50pm On Apr 29, 2021
Nice thread op. Passion isn't all your heart should follow in choosing a career. Chose for hard getting courses. The harder the better. Try and try till you get it because your future depends on it

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Mindlog: 5:50pm On Apr 29, 2021
Having someone who have no innate passion for medicine in medical school is not to the best interest of all.

5 Likes

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by HEAVEN4444: 5:51pm On Apr 29, 2021
hmm
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Nobody: 5:51pm On Apr 29, 2021
the best course to study in University especially in an age where degrees are worthless is medicine. A doctor can never be hungry. there are always jobs for Doctors, and there are always good countries that need doctors and pay well. You want to emigrate to another country?...the best qualification you can have is a medical degree. There is no advanced country in this world that does not need Doctors.

One added benefit is I doubt you need connections to get a job as a doctor in Nigeria as much as in other professions. People automatically accord you a certain reverence or respect one they know you are a doctor......no matter how stoopid you really are ( I know many very foolish stooopid doctors). Doctors are probably the only profession left that still automatically command some level of genuine respect from society no matter what country you are in the world.....people no longer respect politicians and Religious leaders.

31 Likes

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Nobody: 5:51pm On Apr 29, 2021
Foolish post.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Ekakamba: 5:52pm On Apr 29, 2021

Between Buhari and Minister of Health, who him parents love pass?

grin tongue

3 Likes

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by McStoic(m): 5:52pm On Apr 29, 2021
33bandit:

Adonbilivit ho haa! Anyways for me, I would rather study pharmacy than medicine. Reason being pharmacists achieve more in shorter periods after graduation than doctors. Pharmacy can thrive anywhere but a doctor needs some sort of synergy and help to make it soon.
Apart from the Federal Hospitals where doctors are heavily pampered right from their days of housemanship to consultancy, pharmacists are already on the move with or without the hospitals after their internship.

I have many pharmacy friends who are into sales representative stuff, retail and different kind of supplies. They supply drugs to different locations with different demands. Also, once you have drugs, an illness is half cured. And there are consultant pharmacists who are good in what they do that you may not readily need a doctor. Those pharmacology and pharmacodynamics versed guys etc.

As for those saying doctors are in high demand abroad, even so are other health professionals. A consultant doctor friend once revealed that majority of the doctors who travel abroad are those who have been sitting for their consultancy exams repeatedly and not passing it, they moved overseas. I know someone who spent about 5 years but couldn't get his consultancy. He is now in Saudi Arabia. Several of them are in UK too.

The OP is one reason there is so much bitterness existing between doctors and other health professionals. For people like him, it's usually a status thing. I know some village guys who read medicine in school because their families were hell bent on having a doctor as a status symbol. Against someone whose parents allowed to naturally chose medicine as a course, you will see different exhibition of class, temperament, and carriage etc. IT'S VERY WRONG TO CHOOSE A COURSE FOR YOUR CHILDREN AGAINST THEIR NATURAL ABILITIES AND POTENTIALS..

Let me just stop here.

19 Likes

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by na2016: 5:52pm On Apr 29, 2021
obonujoker:
Rubbish.

Engineering is a lot better than Medicine... Versatility in all area of life rather than to be confined to one paradigm of thought grin

Have you ever been outside of Nigeria? Medicine is high up there and can't be compared with engineering. Doctors are hot cake in most developed countries.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by onegig(m): 5:52pm On Apr 29, 2021
You are an exception not the norm.

This writeup is absolutely false and has no scientific backing behind it.

5 Likes

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by nauto: 5:54pm On Apr 29, 2021
grin
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by DrDax: 5:55pm On Apr 29, 2021
33bandit:

Over-indulged and over-pampered kids who know nothing about life and what awaits them will soon come here with their "woke" arguments.

May we not bite our fingers in pain of regret.

I say, study the medicine, and afterwards go and pursue your passion later.

6 Likes

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by GreenWire(m): 5:56pm On Apr 29, 2021
that was true til Nigeria situations changes childrens Destiny.. yahoo undergraduate medical student everywhere.. Lord have mercy of this our generation...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Nobody: 5:56pm On Apr 29, 2021
You've spoken well.

I dropped a comment on that topic too. I don't remember the exact words I used but I said something about doctors being poorly paid in Nigeria but in a country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king...

In a country where graduates earn 50k a month, the one who earns 200k is the boss.

Both are poorly paid but one is more poorly paid than others.

However, you failed to address the main issue in your post:

You made the decision to read Architecture and later, medical science ON YOUR OWN and not because your mom or pop forced you to. The brother of the fellow in question is being forced by the mom

I understand children may sometimes need counselling but parents should never impose their decisions on their kids, particularly with education, marriage and career.

They may guide and show their kids the "way" but if the kids refuse to follow that path, let it be.

You've done your part. Let them do theirs, else it may end badly, like this guy who spent 10 years reading Medicine in Unilorin before leaving to study Mass Coms in Unilag.

He graduated with a first class in Mass Comm, so he clearly wasn't a dullard, but in the interview, he said his dad forced him to read medicine.: http://motherhoodinstyle.net/2017/01/17/87044/

Forcing a course on a child is a double-edged sword that always ends in "I told you"

The only difference is who's saying it...

The kid will say it if he fails

And the parents will say it if he succeeds

Do you call a shark weak because it cannot hunt on land?

Or you call a lion ineffective because it cannot hunt underwater?

Everyone has their potential and it is best they stick to it. The issue here is not the dude. It's the mom.

As a parent, you can never know your kid's interests and potential even if you think you do. The kids may not know them either but as with everything in life, they'll always find it on their own.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Nobody: 5:56pm On Apr 29, 2021
33bandit:

OP I agree
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by obonujoker(m): 5:57pm On Apr 29, 2021
na2016:

Have you ever been outside of Nigeria? Medicine is high up there and can't be compared with engineering. Doctors are hot cake in most developed countries.

In advanced and technological countries, no one jokes with engineering... Engineering is placed on the same pedestal as Medicine

3 Likes

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Kestolove(m): 5:57pm On Apr 29, 2021
95% are jobless cause dey didn't study medicine, op u damn ryt

5 Likes

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Rich4god(m): 5:58pm On Apr 29, 2021
Op... I agree with you on this. I saw the thread of a guy complaining that his mom wants his jnr brother to study medicine. He doesn't know that what the mum is doing is best for him.

Even me sef, at times I feel that if I had know, I would have studied medicine or medical related courses. I have too many reason to give, but I no get strength to write.

99 percent of my friends who are doctors are practising outside Nigeria. In fact as a doctor, it's very easy for you to leave Nigeria and get a job outside.

Just last Sunday, I over heard a doctor on phone telling a fellow doctor that "e b like say Saudi Arabia na him be the next option now"...

According to him, Saudi Arabia are seeking for doctors, those of them that knows their way will know how to tap into that opportunity.

3 Likes

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by bigpicture001: 6:00pm On Apr 29, 2021
Doctors dey learn where programmers dey oooo

Am seen and believed

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Relevant Is CIBN Certification In Nigeria/globally / My Boss Nags Each Time Its Time To Pay Salary. Please Advise Me. / Would You Tell Your Spouse Of Salary Increase

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.