Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,969 members, 7,799,298 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:36 PM

Sick Man Slumps, Dies In Bank In Rivers; Denied Access To Money For Treatment - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Sick Man Slumps, Dies In Bank In Rivers; Denied Access To Money For Treatment (57836 Views)

Man Slumps And Dies By Roadside In Port Harcourt (Photos) / Man Slumps & Dies In Delta State (photos) / General Hospital Ambulance Dumps Sick Man On Drip Along The Road - Twitter User (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sick Man Slumps, Dies In Bank In Rivers; Denied Access To Money For Treatment by LOVEGINO(m): 7:05am On Apr 28, 2021
juman:
In simple terms, he went to bank to beg for money.
But the bank rejected his begging and didnt give him any money.

If he had money in his bank account, easy to withdraw from it.
are u OK?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sick Man Slumps, Dies In Bank In Rivers; Denied Access To Money For Treatment by ALLNIGERIANSMAD(m): 7:11am On Apr 28, 2021
rexlims:
Our banks be forming alpha and Omega.
D man's blood is on dat bank and its staff.
FCMB again?? After collected people's wife, they will still hold peoples money, Why didn't they burn that bank
Re: Sick Man Slumps, Dies In Bank In Rivers; Denied Access To Money For Treatment by shegzydave(m): 7:16am On Apr 28, 2021
abatically:

Does ur alajo have insurance? Is it not the same bank the alajo will go and save the money? Ok let's say ur alajo takes the money to his house and doesn't use bank, one day when he gets robbed what would happen to ur money? I'm pretty sure he has no insurance.
Well u are very right, I sir know he also will bank all the money for real and about the insurance... He has insurance because is not a local alajo, he has been registered with CAC and has insurance too wch he has all the details at the card he gave us plus also having different staffs that cover different axis....
Re: Sick Man Slumps, Dies In Bank In Rivers; Denied Access To Money For Treatment by pocohantas(f): 7:33am On Apr 28, 2021
Okortor:
Gm, no one is arguing with u but we should learn to choose our words carefully. What do I mean?
"You were articulate but not constructive".
I wish you a productive day.

No one said you are. I wish you more banking experience today. Take care... wink
Re: Sick Man Slumps, Dies In Bank In Rivers; Denied Access To Money For Treatment by NLPoliceWoman: 7:35am On Apr 28, 2021
RTR

1 Like

Re: Sick Man Slumps, Dies In Bank In Rivers; Denied Access To Money For Treatment by Jodera: 7:39am On Apr 28, 2021
pocohantas:
Access to which money?

What is the correlation between taking his own money and bringing his NOK?

I know Nigerian banks could be crazy, but they tend to give preference to the aged, sick and/or pregnant women. Something doesn’t add up.
The story doesn't add up and it's highly incoherent.

1.. He died cos he is sick
2... He died cos he is hungry
3... He brought his next of Kin and he is still refused access to his money.

The reason why the bank didn't allow him access to HIS own money and why they're asking for affidavit is completely not stated in the story. The reason why he brought his next of kin and the bank still refused is highly unknown too.
But trust Nigerians not to ask questions but jump into conclusion.

The story just look mumbled-jumbled to me. They should tell us what actually happened

3 Likes

Re: Sick Man Slumps, Dies In Bank In Rivers; Denied Access To Money For Treatment by bolex4ril: 7:43am On Apr 28, 2021
Omo, we ned to calm down small o.

I know nigerian banks do give preference to the old, definitely there must be an issue either documentation or something.

And this story don dey get two version.
Shebi they said the son got the money and took his father to the hospital, before returning again
Re: Sick Man Slumps, Dies In Bank In Rivers; Denied Access To Money For Treatment by summerflame(m): 7:46am On Apr 28, 2021
Xenry:
Well, I'm amazed at how things keeps getting worse day in, day out in Nigeria!

All thanks to the APC governments
Re: Sick Man Slumps, Dies In Bank In Rivers; Denied Access To Money For Treatment by IAMPEDRO: 7:57am On Apr 28, 2021
Insidenaija:
Nigerians on social media have expressed outrage after a video of an unidentified man slumped and died in front of a bank in Rivers state went viral newspremises reports.

According to an eyewitness, Uwaifo Obiano who share the video on Faceebok, the man died due to the unfriendly attitude of the new generation bank staff.

[url=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YmbQoKBtL0][/url]

Newspremises gathered that the deceased was allegedly denied access to hold money since Friday 23rd of April 2021, even when he came with his next of kin. He was asked to go to the court to get an affidavit even though courts are not in session due to the ongoing strike.

The man was said to have collapsed and died due to hunger, after not being allowed to withdraw, a young lady and two men came to the scene demanding that the bank opens the access door so they could deposit the man’s remains in the banking hall.

According to the young lady who spoke in tears, the man tears the victim was her father, adding that the man was sick and had come to the bank to get money for his treatment.

Source: https://newspremises.com.ng/outrage-as-man-slumps-and-dies-in-front-of-a-bank-after-allegedly-not-being-allowed-to-withdraw-his-money-video/
Bank name pls
Re: Sick Man Slumps, Dies In Bank In Rivers; Denied Access To Money For Treatment by obstead200(m): 7:59am On Apr 28, 2021
BennyDGreat:

Some bankers are non-challant.

They ought to have sent someone to check on the man outside and hasten the process of withdrawal. It's human life here

Many people just lack Emotional Intelligence.
exactly.

That is how situations like this is handled. You send a teller to go outside and transact with the sick man.

Moreover 60k is a very little risk. Whatever loss that crystallises out of the transaction (assuming it is fraudulent) can be quickly and silently borne by the bank. It is a small price to pay for showing empathy.

This is what a risk based management is all about. U don't HV to apply the whole rule book where the cost and time spent in applying the rules to the letter Supercedes the intended benefits

But FCMB and access bank are notorious for this act of being too careful, without empathy for customers.

FYI, I used to be a control officer in FCMB and this is what I always recommend in situations like this
Re: Sick Man Slumps, Dies In Bank In Rivers; Denied Access To Money For Treatment by unite4real: 8:05am On Apr 28, 2021
habsydiamond:
It's only in Nigeria that one will support to save money in the bank to collect it will be problem thats if they don't reduce the money as charges... Even if u won withdraw through some atm na wahala... If u won come enter bank na to die there remain...

Pension is worse. After contributing throughout your work life, You will need amadioha to claim part of your money
Re: Sick Man Slumps, Dies In Bank In Rivers; Denied Access To Money For Treatment by obstead200(m): 8:06am On Apr 28, 2021
bolex4ril:
Omo, we ned to calm down small o.

I know nigerian banks do give preference to the old, definitely there must be an issue either documentation or something.

And this story don dey get two version.
Shebi they said the son got the money and took his father to the hospital, before returning again
according to the narrative, the issue with documentation is a slight difference in the name. But as long as other things check out, facial ID and signature, I think 60k is a small risk
Re: Sick Man Slumps, Dies In Bank In Rivers; Denied Access To Money For Treatment by ofiko123(m): 8:11am On Apr 28, 2021
Very sad, RIP to him..
Re: Sick Man Slumps, Dies In Bank In Rivers; Denied Access To Money For Treatment by obstead200(m): 8:14am On Apr 28, 2021
dominique:
Let's try and push emotions aside before passing judgement on some cases. Is the account his personal account? Why does he need a next of kin to withdraw from his account? There are a lot of sketchy details here but it pretty obvious that the account does not belong to the man. Perhaps a late spouse or sibling. In that kind of situation, you need to follow due procedure. No bank in the world will ever grant to access to funds from someone else's account because you're sick or hungry or whatnot. If it's his personal bank account, once his BVN data and signature checks, he would have withdrawn his money without issuesm
his NOK came for the money because he was too sick to come. His NOK was asked to bring the sick man. He did so. Then there appears to be a slight issue with the name (I don't know how that came about sha). But if the above is right, then I feel this issue would have been handled differently. Moreover 60k is a small risk.

Even as a former Staff of FCMB (finbank side) I had a very nasty recent experience with the bank when I came to reactivate my old salary account and use it for online transactions, instead of going through the hassles of opening a new account. Even after doing all the needful, they refused me access to the money I directly and immediately transferred into the reactivated account, citing arrangement of name as the issue. Asking me to go get another birth certificate and all that.

I am too busy for such bullshit. I just left my 10k for them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sick Man Slumps, Dies In Bank In Rivers; Denied Access To Money For Treatment by dangotesmummy: 8:18am On Apr 28, 2021
rexlims:
what is irritating me is that WHY CAN'T THEY NAME AND SHAME THE BANK?

IS THE BANK STILL SUPPOSED TO BE FUNCTIONING?

HOW ARE THE STAFFS BETTER THAN BANDITS AND FULANI HERDSMEN
Re: Sick Man Slumps, Dies In Bank In Rivers; Denied Access To Money For Treatment by Nobody: 8:23am On Apr 28, 2021
Jodera:
The story doesn't add up and it's highly incoherent.

1.. He died cos he is sick
2... He died cos he is hungry
3... He brought his next of Kin and he is still refused access to his money.

The reason why the bank didn't allow him access to HIS own money and why they're asking for affidavit is completely not stated in the story. The reason why he brought his next of kin and the bank still refused is highly unknown too.
But trust Nigerians not to ask questions but jump into conclusion.

The story just look mumbled-jumbled to me. They should tell us what actually happened

You are talking like you weren't born in Nigeria.

You want to know why the bank was wasting his time.

The answer is that they are good at wasting people's time.

What else?
Re: Sick Man Slumps, Dies In Bank In Rivers; Denied Access To Money For Treatment by dangotesmummy: 8:23am On Apr 28, 2021
EyezofGod120:
Make dem close that bank
exactly

But today is monday.we know how nigeria is,they might Kuku have opened the bank for customers
Re: Sick Man Slumps, Dies In Bank In Rivers; Denied Access To Money For Treatment by dangotesmummy: 8:26am On Apr 28, 2021
HellVictorinho:

What else?
I won't be surprised if the guy is a bank staff

This why some angry thugs burn down buildings because they're socially excluded and not even given access to their entitlements
Re: Sick Man Slumps, Dies In Bank In Rivers; Denied Access To Money For Treatment by 9jaRealist: 8:33am On Apr 28, 2021
Insidenaija:
Nigerians on social media have expressed outrage after a video of an unidentified man slumped and died in front of a bank in Rivers state went viral newspremises reports.

According to an eyewitness, Uwaifo Obiano who share the video on Faceebok, the man died due to the unfriendly attitude of the new generation bank staff.

[url=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YmbQoKBtL0][/url]

Newspremises gathered that the deceased was allegedly denied access to hold money since Friday 23rd of April 2021, even when he came with his next of kin. He was asked to go to the court to get an affidavit even though courts are not in session due to the ongoing strike.

The man was said to have collapsed and died due to hunger, after not being allowed to withdraw, a young lady and two men came to the scene demanding that the bank opens the access door so they could deposit the man’s remains in the banking hall.

According to the young lady who spoke in tears, the man tears the victim was her father, adding that the man was sick and had come to the bank to get money for his treatment.

Source: https://newspremises.com.ng/outrage-as-man-slumps-and-dies-in-front-of-a-bank-after-allegedly-not-being-allowed-to-withdraw-his-money-video/

He supposedly died of hunger, but his next-of-kin who went to the bank with him couldn’t buy him roasted corn?
Meanwhile, the daughter immediately devotes more energy and attention to social media than she apparently did to her dad.

RIP Old Dude, your own FAMILY failed you.

>
Re: Sick Man Slumps, Dies In Bank In Rivers; Denied Access To Money For Treatment by 9jaRealist: 8:34am On Apr 28, 2021
pocohantas:
Access to which money?

I know Nigerian banks could be crazy, but they tend to give preference to the aged, sick and/or pregnant women. Something doesn’t add up.

Bless you!
>
Re: Sick Man Slumps, Dies In Bank In Rivers; Denied Access To Money For Treatment by Jodera: 8:53am On Apr 28, 2021
HellVictorinho:

What else?
Lol... I'm in Nigeria and that's why I'm asking questions. I know so many people have ugly experiences with banks, but I've hardly seen anyone/staff of a bank treating sick, very elderly or pregnant women anyhow esp at to extent of not allowing such person (him/her) into the bank.

Also, this story isn't clear enough, it was reported in such a way to blame the bank just to draw reader's sympathy to the deceased(which isn't bad) and anger towards towards the bank(which is bad without any justifiable reason).

The key details to know why the bank are at fault are these

1.. What made the man not to have access to his money?
2... What killed the man? Was it sickness? And did the bank staff knew he was sick and still acted wickedly
3... Was it hunger also? How hungry was this man that it caused his death.
4... Why did he bring his next of kin(is it even necessary to bring your NOK just to withdraw your OWN MONEY), yet the man was refused access to his money.

This are the details the news refused to provide which I'm skeptical about the true story. They should tell us what actually happened let us know.
Re: Sick Man Slumps, Dies In Bank In Rivers; Denied Access To Money For Treatment by Bryan88(m): 8:55am On Apr 28, 2021
rexlims:
I SWEAR!!!
Re: Sick Man Slumps, Dies In Bank In Rivers; Denied Access To Money For Treatment by edoairways: 9:06am On Apr 28, 2021
pocohantas:
Access to which money?

Fcmb Port Harcourt branch messed up big time
Re: Sick Man Slumps, Dies In Bank In Rivers; Denied Access To Money For Treatment by johhbekeboh09: 9:22am On Apr 28, 2021
emetisuccess:
I don't really save in my bank now adays, i do make use of piggyvest to save.

How does it work?!
Re: Sick Man Slumps, Dies In Bank In Rivers; Denied Access To Money For Treatment by charixel: 9:29am On Apr 28, 2021
drgideon:

Mr man
Rules are rules
Which bank starts pension payment without court Affidavits?

Even at that not at point they know the man is at point of death. abi awón eyan ti n fi iku séére
Re: Sick Man Slumps, Dies In Bank In Rivers; Denied Access To Money For Treatment by Psoul(m): 9:43am On Apr 28, 2021
pocohantas:
Access to which money?

You are thinking well.
Let us forget about sentiment here and pity.
What kind of money did the man want to withdraw that made the bank deny him access to for about 3 days?
What kind of withdrawal will require Next of Kin?
I beliv, it is not just a normal withdrawal.
Probably, that may be the money of a dead relative they want to withdraw.
You can't walk into the bank and request for such money and get it that same moment no matter the kind of condition u are putting up as a reason for that withdrawal.
Banks don't on that way.
There are policies which must be strictly adhere to.

It is pathetic that the man died, but the bank should not be accused of bn responsible for his death.
They should have used the time they spent in the bank to solicit for help from somewhere else instead of looking for a help where they can not easily get it.

What if the bank give the money to the man, let's assume that it was a money left by a deceased relative and tomorrow, there comes a problem that the money was not supposed to be given to that man but another member of the family. Same ppl that want to crucify the bank staff are the same that will say, that is how foolish our bankers behave. Giving someone else's money to a wrong person.

That man may not even have any ID card or any identification to prove that he is related to the deceased relative(assuming the money is from a deceased relative).
Re: Sick Man Slumps, Dies In Bank In Rivers; Denied Access To Money For Treatment by Psoul(m): 9:45am On Apr 28, 2021
EyezofGod120:
Make dem close that bank

On what bases.
Do u make good use of ur brain at all?
Re: Sick Man Slumps, Dies In Bank In Rivers; Denied Access To Money For Treatment by Psoul(m): 9:53am On Apr 28, 2021
DoctorDree:
Those shitty cashiers that are only doing there IT for bank and they will firming staffs and even the staffs that only looks good in uniform and nothing to show for it will be acting like they have achieved it all in life,now what?? Will they now allow the family of the man withdraw the money or not??

Which money do they want to withdraw?
Have u asked urself dat question.
It's a pity that the man died, but can u take a break and ask, what kind of money will one want to withdraw that the bank will refuse him for 3 day and ask for Next of Kin and require him to go to court to swear affidavit.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Can A Lady Flatten Her Big Tummy??? / Fertility Clinics In Lagos Pay N50k For Sperm - Doctor Tells Masturbators / Muslim Women Exercising In Hijab In Saudi Arabia Gym

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.