Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,021 members, 7,803,432 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:09 PM

Addressing The Myths Of COVID-19 Vaccine - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Addressing The Myths Of COVID-19 Vaccine (154 Views)

Don't Believe In Myths Of Opioid Addiction Treatment / NCDC Reacts To News That There Are 472 Confirmed Cases Of COVID-19 In Nigeria / 3 Myths On Pimples You Believe But Are Not True (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Addressing The Myths Of COVID-19 Vaccine by premkumer262: 2:17am On Apr 28, 2021
The Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) Plateau Council recently organised training for its members to enlighten them about the COVID-19 vaccine. The sensitisation became necessary because of the conspiracy theories popularised since the vaccine was imported.The training designed to equip journalists as information managers with appropriate information to properly educate the people was facilitated by the state House of Assembly Committee on Health.
Dispelling the myths
Mr Daniel Listick, chairman of the committee dispelled the rumour that the vaccine has chips and changes DNA composition.“The vaccine does not contain chips as people are saying. People say the vaccine will change their DNA and cause infertility, there is nothing like that. All these myths are not true, “ he said.He said building the capacity of journalists in partnership with the House would play a significant role in improving their reporting skills in disseminating appropriate information to the public on the disease.“After taking the vaccine, I was okay, but others may have reactions; however, there are experts on ground who know what to do”, he said.Also, various speakers at the launch of the vaccine debunked the conspiracy theory and appealed to the people to make themselves available.
Lalong reads riot act
Gov Simon Lalong said the conspiracy theories being propagated especially in the social media is aimed at discouraging people to accept the vaccine.According to him, he and his wife, his deputy, religious and traditional leaders took the vaccine to show example and dispel fears of various myths attached to it.“It is important to note that the vaccine has been approved by the European Medicines Agency and the World Health Organisation, based on global clinical trials, involving 23,000 participants.“In addition, Nigerian regulators such as National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) evaluated the vaccines upon arrival in the country.“All of these evaluations have concluded that the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine is safe and effective.“Let me reiterate that no one would be compelled to take the vaccine as the administration is totally voluntary.“However, I wish to remind our citizens that the law criminalising the denial of COVID-19 in Plateau state is still in force.“Therefore, those who want to engage in spreading conspiracy theories and mobilising others against taking the vaccine would not be allowed.“I want to reassure our people that as your governor, I will not subscribe to anything that would harm you or affect your well-being; rather, my number one priority is to ensure your safety and good health,“ he said.
The clergy lend their voice
Rev Fr Polycarp Lubo, the State chairman, Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) who spoke, said that those who had COVID-19 disease can testify of the hardship they experienced.He said that the arrival of the vaccine certified by NAFDAC would address the challenges posed by the scourge.“We should encourage those people who are doubting to come and receive the vaccine. I think vulnerable people should be considered first,’’ he said.Similarly, state chairman of Jama’atu Nasril Islam, Alhaji Muhammadu Muhammadu, said he received the vaccine to demonstrate leadership by example.He decried the proliferation of many misleading information on the vaccine and assured the government that leaders would continue to support their policies and programmes.Prof Edmund Banwat, the chief medical director, Jos University Teaching Hospital (JUTH), said the vaccine administered to political leaders is a bold step to address the myths surrounding the vaccine and show it is safe.“If it is not safe, these political leaders would not avail themselves to take the vaccine. The vaccine is critical to end the pandemic, ‘’he said.Mr Williams Wadzingi, Plateau Coordinator, World Health Organisation (WHO), said enlightenment is critical to the success of the vaccination.

(1) (Reply)

Low Potassium In The System / US Birth Rate Lowest Ever: Report / Chronic Prostatitis Treatment Time Varies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.