Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,011 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:02 AM

4 Reasons Why I Don’t Take Christians Seriously. - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 4 Reasons Why I Don’t Take Christians Seriously. (2965 Views)

Don’t Take COVID-19 Vaccines - Oyedepo Tells Church Members / 4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist / TB Joshua: 'I Don’t Have Any Bank Account, I Don’t Keep Money' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 4 Reasons Why I Don’t Take Christians Seriously. by LordReed(m): 9:50pm On Apr 30, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

Now, the ridicule flies in, Clearly Showing No Road for you to Escape! grin

Save your sanctimonious BS for someone else. When you were spewing your bigoted nonsense you felt in the right, now you are on the receiving end you are crying crocodile tears.
Re: 4 Reasons Why I Don’t Take Christians Seriously. by Image123(m): 10:35pm On Apr 30, 2021
LordReed:

They obviously aren't but disobeying this crayfish law means you will not be able to "come into the presence of the lord" and be deemed "unholy". Not an insignificant consequence in this scheme.

Still don't make it a moral law. Those laws were mainly for their health and hygiene, and there has to be a semblance of seriousness and punishment attached to disobedience else it won't be taken seriously.
Re: 4 Reasons Why I Don’t Take Christians Seriously. by 1Sharon(f): 1:36am On May 01, 2021
Image123:

What sort of joker are you guys, is this passage a command of God?

Nope but it's in the holey buybull
Re: 4 Reasons Why I Don’t Take Christians Seriously. by Image123(m): 7:43am On May 01, 2021
1Sharon:

Nope but it's in the holey buybull

Meditate on the bold until you understand.
Re: 4 Reasons Why I Don’t Take Christians Seriously. by LordReed(m): 8:14am On May 01, 2021
Image123:

Still don't make it a moral law. Those laws were mainly for their health and hygiene, and there has to be a semblance of seriousness and punishment attached to disobedience else it won't be taken seriously.

There is no health consequence for eating crayfish or shrimp or crab or lobster so it was a pointless restriction except as a way to further cultural norms.
Re: 4 Reasons Why I Don’t Take Christians Seriously. by Image123(m): 8:46am On May 01, 2021
LordReed:

There is no health consequence for eating crayfish or shrimp or crab or lobster so it was a pointless restriction except as a way to further cultural norms.

Good that you have taken the point, no need deviating i think.
Re: 4 Reasons Why I Don’t Take Christians Seriously. by LordReed(m): 11:04am On May 01, 2021
Image123:

The point was/is the law or Word of God is an unchanging leveller and standard for ALL. And that eating food is not a moral law.

And I don't care if its a moral law or not, it changed. No set of laws will remain unchanging for ever.
Re: 4 Reasons Why I Don’t Take Christians Seriously. by Image123(m): 11:30am On May 01, 2021
LordReed:

What point? My point was/is, laws change, there is no set of laws that is unchanging or infallible.

The point was/is the law or Word of God is an unchanging leveller and standard for ALL. And that eating food is not a moral law.
Re: 4 Reasons Why I Don’t Take Christians Seriously. by Image123(m): 7:31pm On May 01, 2021
LordReed:

And I don't care if its a moral law or not, it changed. No set of laws will remain unchanging for ever.

Duh, the moral law of God remains an unchanging leveller forever and ever.
Re: 4 Reasons Why I Don’t Take Christians Seriously. by Image123(m): 10:15pm On May 01, 2021
FatherOfJesus:
Christians never give right answers

Since you found it hard telling if you're a Christian, in the meanwhile find some time to listen to this. And i suppose Reed should do same too. It's of help to you guys if you are not busy attacking the messenger and other such fallacies instead of trying to listen and learn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1XJ7DeR5fc
Re: 4 Reasons Why I Don’t Take Christians Seriously. by LordReed(m): 7:43am On May 02, 2021
Image123:

Duh, the moral law of God remains an unchanging leveller forever and ever.

Oh Like the one where it was morally OK to stone people for adultery?
Re: 4 Reasons Why I Don’t Take Christians Seriously. by Image123(m): 9:27am On May 02, 2021
LordReed:

Oh Like the one where it was morally OK to stone people for adultery?

Stoning adulterers is not a law, is it? It was a judgment/punishment. Stop trying hard yet again to deviate. We are talking about laws for ALL humans, laws that guide our actions.
Re: 4 Reasons Why I Don’t Take Christians Seriously. by LordReed(m): 10:49am On May 02, 2021
Image123:

Stoning adulterers is not a law, is it? It was a judgment/punishment. Stop trying hard yet again to deviate. We are talking about laws for ALL humans, laws that guide our actions.

Punishments are dictated by law, there is absolutely no reason to attempt a distinction.

Laws are made by communities and in our times by nations. There is nothing like laws for all humans, at least not yet so you are one desperate to deviate.
Re: 4 Reasons Why I Don’t Take Christians Seriously. by Image123(m): 1:12pm On May 02, 2021
LordReed:

Punishments are dictated by law, there is absolutely no reason to attempt a distinction.

Laws are made by communities and in our times by nations. There is nothing like laws for all humans, at least not yet so you are one desperate to deviate.

Think carefully Reed. We were discussing about moral laws that affect all humanity. You said that before the Bible, there were laws. i said the Bible agrees to such but that those laws are made by unstable human conscience. The Word of God is a universal and unchanging leveller. Then you began to bring up fish which was rightly shot down as not being a moral law or of the same class. Clearly, we have been talking about laws that affect all i.e applicable to all, what all should do, considered as good or bad. The standard as it were on morality, your relationship to one another and to God. So when we say no stealing, no killing, no adultery etc, these are things affecting men(humans) morally and for all times. If man's views fluctuate concerning them, God's Word does not.
So when you take it to another angle of punishment for breaking the law, that is a different thing not applicable to all. We are not all judges or courts, except you are subscribing to jungle justice. Punishment for disobeying the law was not what we were discussing, we were discussing the law itself. Stop deviating.
Re: 4 Reasons Why I Don’t Take Christians Seriously. by LordReed(m): 2:02pm On May 02, 2021
Image123:

Think carefully Reed. We were discussing about moral laws that affect all humanity. You said that before the Bible, there were laws. i said the Bible agrees to such but that those laws are made by unstable human conscience. The Word of God is a universal and unchanging leveller. Then you began to bring up fish which was rightly shot down as not being a moral law or of the same class. Clearly, we have been talking about laws that affect all i.e applicable to all, what all should do, considered as good or bad. The standard as it were on morality, your relationship to one another and to God. So when we say no stealing, no killing, no adultery etc, these are things affecting men(humans) morally and for all times. If man's views fluctuate concerning them, God's Word does not.
So when you take it to another angle of punishment for breaking the law, that is a different thing not applicable to all. We are not all judges or courts, except you are subscribing to jungle justice. Punishment for disobeying the law was not what we were discussing, we were discussing the law itself. Stop deviating.

The laws before the Bible were only applicable to the communities that made them so can I be saying they applied to all humans?

The law itself must contain punishment for its disobedience or else it has no force. Can you take any law and excise it of it's punishments and still think you have a law? The law is a totality, you are the one deviating, calling it ceremonial law, moral law and trying distinguish between a law and the punishments it prescribes. I am talking of law as a whole, you want to take parts of it.
Re: 4 Reasons Why I Don’t Take Christians Seriously. by Image123(m): 2:33pm On May 02, 2021
LordReed:

The laws before the Bible were only applicable to the communities that made them so can I be saying they applied to all humans?

The law itself must contain punishment for its disobedience or else it has no force. Can you take any law and excise it of it's punishments and still think you have a law? The law is a totality, you are the one deviating, calling it ceremonial law, moral law and trying distinguish between a law and the punishments it prescribes. I am talking of law as a whole, you want to take parts of it.

i didn't say that the laws before the Bible were applied to all humans, OF COURSE NOT. i say just like you say that there were laws before the Bible. And that the Bible attests to same. But that the huge difference is that the Bible laws(what we've being referring to as moral laws) is a Universal and Unchanging Leveller forever.
Evidently, the law is different from the punishment as you have agreed. The law is what we are talking about, not the punishment. If your personal opinion is that a law must/can not be separated from its punishment, that is your personal opinion. You are free to have it. However, it is not so in the Bible and in reality. An offence can have different punishment and fines. i don't make the separations, you surely have heard these things before this current discussion. i only remeind you of them to give you a true perspective. Are you aware that some countries did away with(or try to) the death penalty. Are those crimes that carried the penalty done away with or the punishment was changed?
Re: 4 Reasons Why I Don’t Take Christians Seriously. by GracieX3(f): 6:38am On May 05, 2021
Jashub:
It is better to be a Christian than to be a atheist that stands for nothing other than confusion.

It is a recorded fact that atheist have never contributed to human development, rather, they have been the caused of some horrendous killings in human history. Take communist China and former Soviet union for example: Mao and Satalin single-handedly order for the execution of more than 100million of their own people. This number far outweighs any form of human eradication perpetrated by all religions put together.

Another thing to point out is atheist do not have a sense of morality to claim as a standard to support their belief system. Till date, no human code of conduct is founded on atheism rather, they are founded on Christian religious doctrines. Which makes one wonder if Athesim really has any value at all to mankind.

Atheism has contributed absolutely nothing to mankind in terms of development and moral standards. Rather, they have been the cause of some very disturbing ways of thinking. For example, atheists believe we exist by accident ; that everything in the universe is a cosmcosmological mixing of random stuff that gave rise to an ordered universe. This style of reasoning is not only illogical, but it smells of complete stupidity

The irony here is that you have spouted so much ignorance about atheism that you have become the morally depraved character that you are out against.

1. First of all, christianity alone has done much damage to the world more than any other belief or non belief. They were pioneers in many forms of torture (see catholic treatment of heretics). They were pioneers of large scale warfare- see the crusades. Furthermore, Hitler was not an atheist- he believed in some sort of Aryan christian God. Also, Stalin, despite being an atheist, was a product of harsh christian treatment from the repression when he attended a seminary.

2. Atheists have contributed a lot to science and technology. Most scientists in the west are atheists or agnostics. Steve Jobs is an atheist while Bill gate is a deist. Zuckerberg was an atheist but now religious.

3. I am an atheist and I do not believe that we came by accident. What I believe is that we dont know the origin of life. That is a fact. Nobody knows

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The 10commandments And Law Of Moses, Are They The Same Law? / Karma: Is It Real ? / Usual Suspects(nuclearboy,deepsight,noetic,madmax And Co.) On Suffering.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.