Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,738 members, 7,802,235 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:22 AM

My Experience With Havard's Web Programming Course (CS50W) - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / My Experience With Havard's Web Programming Course (CS50W) (2231 Views)

Kogi Chief Of Staff, Pharm. Asuku To Train 200 Youths On Web Programming, ICT / Extreme Programming Course And Certification / Complete Android Programming Course (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience With Havard's Web Programming Course (CS50W) by GeoAfrikana(m): 7:17pm On Apr 29, 2021
August last year, I enrolled for Havard's CS50W: Web Programming with Python and JavaScript.

To be honest, the course was far from easy. It was supposed to take 3 months but I spent 6 months.

The course featured six projects including one final project.

Project 0: Search
Design a frontend for Google search. This took me two months to complete. It requires just HTML and CSS. I used bootstrap to support my weak CSS.

Project 1: Wiki
Design a wikipedia-like web app. The app must allow users to enter data in markdown format but should display as HTML. So your backend must convert markdown to html.
There are about five more specifications.

Project 2: commerce
Design a e-commerce website that allows users sign in, upload a product for auctioning, bid on a product. Once the product owner closes the auction, the highest bidder should automatically be declared winner.

Project 3: Mail
Design an app that enables users send and read mail.
The app must be a one-page app. Meaning that there should be no page throughout the whole functionality of the app.
So you must use Asynchronous JavaScript loading (Ajax).

Project 4: Network
Design a social media app that lets users create posts, edit posts and like posts.
It should also be a single page app and must use pagination.

Project 5: Capstone
This is the final project. No rigid specification except that it must be different from all other past projects in the course. Also, it must make use of at least two models (Django developers know this).
I built a quiz app that that enables visitors create an account, sign in and logout.
Registered users can take the quiz. Users who have above a certain score can submit questions.
I the quiz page uses Ajax so once you submit a question, it displays another question without reloading the page.
The app also uses the inbuilt Django admin to enable superusers approve a submitted question among other functions.

This Youtube playlist shows the demonstration of each of my projects:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL__WA5iiRT528Lwzr1l-tBDRZREArcnEm

My tips and advise
1. It's not going to be easy. In fact it looks impossible but it's possible. At some time you'll be clueless but the clue will always come later.

2. Sometimes you might need to take some days off to watch videos on youtube.

3. There are notes on the website. Read the notes.

4. Pay. If you're taking it for free, you might not be serious. However, apply for scholarship to reduce the cost.

5. You don't need to be extraordinarily brilliant. You just need to be perseverant.

Good luck.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience With Havard's Web Programming Course (CS50W) by GeoAfrikana(m): 7:18pm On Apr 29, 2021
Lalasticlala, what do you think.
Re: My Experience With Havard's Web Programming Course (CS50W) by Cybercop2002: 7:44pm On Apr 29, 2021
pls how and where can i get the course and las las how much or is it free
Re: My Experience With Havard's Web Programming Course (CS50W) by misterjosh(m): 8:00pm On Apr 29, 2021
@ op
I guess you have been coding for a while before undergoing the course?

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Havard's Web Programming Course (CS50W) by GeoAfrikana(m): 9:31pm On Apr 29, 2021
Cybercop2002:
It's available on Edx.org. I applied for scholarship so I got a big discount and eventually paid just below 4k.

Re: My Experience With Havard's Web Programming Course (CS50W) by Cybercop2002: 9:37pm On Apr 29, 2021
GeoAfrikana:

It's available on Edx.org. I applied for scholarship so I got a big discount and eventually paid just below 4k.
thanks pls share me the link and how many language will i be taught , will they teach me html css and js
Re: My Experience With Havard's Web Programming Course (CS50W) by GeoAfrikana(m): 9:43pm On Apr 29, 2021
misterjosh:
@ op
I guess you have been coding for a while before undergoing the course?

Yes, I have. The course is intensive and isn't meant for absolute beginners. It's supposed to be taken after CS50: Introduction to computer science.
In CS50 you'll learn:

- how computers work (binary)

- how to think like a computer using a game called 'scratch'

- before going to C, a low level programming language

- you'll also learn a high level programming language like python.

I once took CS50 but didn't complete it.

But if you've learnt basic python before then you're good to take CS50W.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Havard's Web Programming Course (CS50W) by GeoAfrikana(m): 9:50pm On Apr 29, 2021
Cybercop2002:
thanks pls share me the link and how many language will i be taught , will they teach me html css and js
They'll teach you

- HTML,
- CSS,
- Bootstrap (a frontend framework that reduces the CSS you write)
- GIT and Github
- JavaScript
- Python
- SQL
- Django (a backend framework for building apps with Python)
- basic Reactjs
- Testing
- scalability and security

Here's the link
https://learning.edx.org/course/course-v1:HarvardX+CS50W+Web/home

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience With Havard's Web Programming Course (CS50W) by misterjosh(m): 10:55pm On Apr 29, 2021
GeoAfrikana:

Yes, I have. The course is intensive and isn't meant for absolute beginners. It's supposed to be taken after CS50: Introduction to computer science.
In CS50 you'll learn:

- how computers work (binary)

- how to think like a computer using a game called 'scratch'

- before going to C, a low level programming language

- you'll also learn a high level programming language like python.

I once took CS50 but didn't complete it.

But if you've learnt basic python before then you're good to take CS50W.

AiIt, thanks a lot.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With Havard's Web Programming Course (CS50W) by Diction10nairal: 8:40pm On Aug 08, 2021
Cybercop2002:

CS50w is absolutely free.

The certificate is also free (except you want a verified certificate, then you have to pay some amount )

#cheers
Re: My Experience With Havard's Web Programming Course (CS50W) by GeoAfrikana(m): 2:33am On Aug 10, 2021
Diction10nairal:

CS50w is absolutely free.

The certificate is also free (except you want a verified certificate, then you have to pay some amount )

#cheers
I never knew this. Thanks for sharing.

Anyways, I'm glad I paid. Perhaps, if I didn't pay, I wouldn't have been motivated enough to finish it.
Re: My Experience With Havard's Web Programming Course (CS50W) by LikeAking: 10:52am On Aug 10, 2021
GeoAfrikana:
August last year, I enrolled for Havard's CS50W: Web Programming with Python and JavaScript.

To be honest, the course was far from easy. It was supposed to take 3 months but I spent 6 months.

Design a frontend for Google search. This took me two months to complete. It requires just HTML and CSS. I used bootstrap to support my weak CSS.

Design a wikipedia-like web app. The app must allow users to enter data in markdown format but should display as HTML. So your backend must convert markdown to html.

Design a e-commerce website that allows users sign in, upload a product for auctioning, bid on a product. Once the product owner closes the auction, the highest bidder should automatically be declared winner.

The app must be a one-page app. Meaning that there should be no page throughout the whole functionality of the app.

Design a social media app that lets users create posts, edit posts and like posts.

This is the final project. No rigid specification except that it must be different from all other past projects in the course. Also, it must make use of at least two models (Django developers know this).
I built a quiz app that that enables visitors create an account, sign in and logout.
Registered users can take the quiz. Users who have above a certain score can submit questions.
I the quiz page uses Ajax so once you submit a question, it displays another question without reloading the page.
The app also uses the inbuilt Django admin to enable superusers approve a submitted question among other functions.

My tips and advise
1. It's not going to be easy. In fact it looks impossible but it's possible. At some time you'll be clueless but the clue will always come later.

4. Pay. If you're taking it for free, you might not be serious. However, apply for scholarship to reduce the amost.

5. You don't need to be extraordinarily brilliant. You just need to be perseverant.

Good luck.

congrats

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Havard's Web Programming Course (CS50W) by GeoAfrikana(m): 6:39pm On Aug 11, 2021
LikeAking:

congrats

Thanks so much. I really appreciate this.
Re: My Experience With Havard's Web Programming Course (CS50W) by Deicide: 11:32pm On Aug 11, 2021
I also applied for the course but I didn't do anything cause of data problem grin
Re: My Experience With Havard's Web Programming Course (CS50W) by dollarsplenty(m): 6:05am On Aug 12, 2021
Geoafricana, can we talk about GIS privately.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Havard's Web Programming Course (CS50W) by seansifo(m): 6:31pm On Aug 12, 2021
GeoAfrikana:

My tips and advise

4. Pay. If you're taking it for free, you might not be serious. However, apply for scholarship to reduce the amost.

Good luck.

Thank you very much for sharing OP. Please I would loved to take the course. Please where and how can I apply for scholarship in other for me to pay less.

Thanks
Re: My Experience With Havard's Web Programming Course (CS50W) by GeoAfrikana(m): 8:44pm On Aug 12, 2021
seansifo:

Thank you very much for sharing OP. Please I would loved to take the course. Please where and how can I apply for scholarship in other for me to pay less.

Thanks
It's available on EDX.
Re: My Experience With Havard's Web Programming Course (CS50W) by Diction10nairal: 8:36am On Aug 16, 2021
GeoAfrikana:

I never knew this. Thanks for sharing.

Anyways, I'm glad I paid. Perhaps, if I didn't pay, I wouldn't have been motivated enough to finish it.

You are welcome bro. And congratulations on finishing cs50w.

I actually did cs50x before moving unto cs50w.

If you do not mind me asking, after cs50w, what did you do next?

(1) (Reply)

Developing Accounting Application Using MS Excel And Access / Do People Actually Graduate From ALX SE Program? YES THEY DO!!! / Which Nigerian Gateway Service Is The Best For An Ecommerce Website

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.