Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,334 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:26 AM

Why Does The Federal Government Have To Declare Public Holidays? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Does The Federal Government Have To Declare Public Holidays? (1311 Views)

Fg Declare Public Holiday Tomorrow / FG Declares Public Holidays To Celebrate 2018 Eid-El-Kabir / FG Declares Friday, Monday Public Holidays (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does The Federal Government Have To Declare Public Holidays? by Blue3k(m): 9:51pm On Apr 29, 2021
Why does the federal government have to declare public holidays? All these holidays could easily be legislated permanently if it hasn't been already. Why declare the holiday when the government can just set the list of public holidays in stone removing the need for these declarations?

Front page: Lalasticlala Mynd44

Re: Why Does The Federal Government Have To Declare Public Holidays? by Blue3k(m): 10:00pm On Apr 29, 2021
I don't see the need to declare holidays especially when everyone has access to a calender. Workers day is the same date every year just like Christmas and Boxing day. I'm sure you're phone would tell you incase you forget.
Re: Why Does The Federal Government Have To Declare Public Holidays? by Golden057(m): 10:07pm On Apr 29, 2021
When you see Nigeria government busy with documents, making announcement, holding meetings and involving in different issues, you will first think Nigeria is a serious country �
Re: Why Does The Federal Government Have To Declare Public Holidays? by gasparpisciotta: 10:17pm On Apr 29, 2021
Backward mentality wey even the Colonial masters don throway....
Re: Why Does The Federal Government Have To Declare Public Holidays? by Jesuschristus: 10:57pm On Apr 29, 2021
Its good they declare,I didn't even remember may 1st na holiday till it was declared
Re: Why Does The Federal Government Have To Declare Public Holidays? by samwash(m): 11:13pm On Apr 29, 2021
Believe me not everybody that has calendar that these special days/dates are marked on it.
And not everybody has a an Android phone that has a synchronize calendar.
It's still good & ok for the government to still anonce the declaration of public holidays for some of us to remember. Remember some public holidays don't have a particular date on the calendar.
Just like a reminder.
Re: Why Does The Federal Government Have To Declare Public Holidays? by jonnathaniheme: 11:14pm On Apr 29, 2021
Misplaced priority
Re: Why Does The Federal Government Have To Declare Public Holidays? by Bodexman(m): 11:16pm On Apr 29, 2021
Blue3k:
I don't see the need to declare holidays especially when everyone has access to a calender. Workers day is the same date every year just like Christmas and Boxing day. I'm sure you're phone would tell you incase you forget.

Some bosses won't intentionally give their staffs a break if it was not announced by the government.
Re: Why Does The Federal Government Have To Declare Public Holidays? by Bodexman(m): 11:18pm On Apr 29, 2021
jonnathaniheme:
Misplaced priority

Not necessarily so.

We have been using town criers in our villages since the ages to pass information across to the villagers, so what the government is doing now is the modern day version of town criers.
Re: Why Does The Federal Government Have To Declare Public Holidays? by Blue3k(m): 12:51pm On Apr 30, 2021
Bodexman:

Some bosses won't intentionally give their staffs a break if it was not announced by the government.

If it's the law they won't have an excuse. The government doesn't announce every other other law.

gasparpisciotta:
Backward mentality wey even the Colonial masters don throway....

Do other former colonies do this?
Re: Why Does The Federal Government Have To Declare Public Holidays? by helinues: 1:08pm On Apr 30, 2021

Government declaration make it official..

Some bosses are not interested in giving their workers such break .

And also the holidays that the date fall on weekends , only government can declare when to have the holiday
Re: Why Does The Federal Government Have To Declare Public Holidays? by Blue3k(m): 1:25pm On Apr 30, 2021
helinues:

Government declaration make it official..

Some bosses are not interested in giving their workers such break .

And also the holidays that the date fall on weekends , only government can declare when to have the holiday

If it's the law they won't have an excuse. The government doesn't announce every other other law. Lastly the United States solved the weekend problem with a common sense rule. This isn't some sort of enigma especially in the internet age.

Re: Why Does The Federal Government Have To Declare Public Holidays? by helinues: 1:29pm On Apr 30, 2021
Blue3k:

If it's the law they won't have an excuse. The government doesn't announce every other other law. Lastly the United States solved the weekend problem with a common sense rule. This isn't some sort of enigma especially in the internet age.

Are those other laws holiday related?
Re: Why Does The Federal Government Have To Declare Public Holidays? by LibertyRep: 1:31pm On Apr 30, 2021
A school proprietor was once reported to have said he has no workers in his school but labourers, hence workers day does not concern him.
...and of course, no holiday was granted the teachers and the students.
Re: Why Does The Federal Government Have To Declare Public Holidays? by Blue3k(m): 1:31pm On Apr 30, 2021
helinues:

Yes they are in America. Employers aren't mandated to observe Federal holidays.

helinues:

LibertyRep:
A school proprietor was once reported to have said he has no workers in his school but labourers, hence workers day does not concern him.
...and of course, no holiday was granted the teachers and the students.

Interesting story but nobody should be surprised. Don't schools usually handout academic calendars detailing these things. Did anyone report him for breaking any law or are these holidays not mandated by the FG?
Re: Why Does The Federal Government Have To Declare Public Holidays? by helinues: 1:35pm On Apr 30, 2021
Blue3k:

Why should we be copying everything about western world?

America have so many structures to support their fixed holiday not like African countries...

African countries determine their holidays by the current events in their country... Ghana, Kenya, South Africa.
Re: Why Does The Federal Government Have To Declare Public Holidays? by Blue3k(m): 1:40pm On Apr 30, 2021
helinues:

Why should we be copying everything about western world?

America have so many structures to support their fixed holiday not like African countries...

African countries determine their holidays by the current events in their country... Ghana, Kenya, South Africa.

I didn't say copy it because of America does it. I said do it because it makes sense to cement these fixed holidays permanently into law. I brought up America because you couldn't figure out what to do if a holiday falls on weekend by yourself. Also I never said they need to get rid of the power to declare a public holiday.
Re: Why Does The Federal Government Have To Declare Public Holidays? by helinues: 1:41pm On Apr 30, 2021
Blue3k:

I didn't say copy it because of America does it. I said do it because it makes sense to cement these fixed holidays permanently into law. I brought up America because you couldn't figure out what to do if a holiday falls on weekend by yourself. Also I never said they need to get rid of the power to declare a public holiday.

African countries determine their holidays by the current events in their country... Ghana, Kenya, South Africa

Did you miss that part?
Re: Why Does The Federal Government Have To Declare Public Holidays? by Blue3k(m): 1:44pm On Apr 30, 2021
helinues:

Did you miss that part?

No, did you miss this part? If there's a need to declare a holiday the power still exist. I'm taking about Nigeria and the fact they're declaring fixed holidays like workers day, Christmas and boxing.

Also I never said they need to get rid of the power to declare a public holiday.
Re: Why Does The Federal Government Have To Declare Public Holidays? by Blue3k(m): 11:06pm On Apr 30, 2021
Even the moveable holidays could be legislated on. Moveable date doesn't mean unknown because humans have mastered astronomy thousands of years ago. This is why I can tell you when Ramadan starts in 2025. The actual issue is sitting the moon.
Re: Why Does The Federal Government Have To Declare Public Holidays? by Blue3k(m): 12:57pm On May 07, 2021
Bump
Re: Why Does The Federal Government Have To Declare Public Holidays? by helinues: 5:54pm On May 13, 2021
Blue3k:

No, did you miss this part? If there's a need to declare a holiday the power still exist. I'm taking about Nigeria and the fact they're declaring fixed holidays like workers day, Christmas and boxing.

What would you say about this current Holiday declaration?
Re: Why Does The Federal Government Have To Declare Public Holidays? by Blue3k(m): 6:27pm On May 13, 2021
helinues:

What would you say about this current Holiday declaration?

My opinions haven't changed. Refer to my previous comments on lunar holidays.
Re: Why Does The Federal Government Have To Declare Public Holidays? by helinues: 6:38pm On May 13, 2021
Blue3k:

My opinions haven't changed. Refer to my previous comments on lunar holidays.

While I said events during the time would determine when to give public holiday. It's just an announcement we shouldn't take forever to make
Re: Why Does The Federal Government Have To Declare Public Holidays? by Blue3k(m): 7:17pm On May 13, 2021
helinues:

While I said events during the time would determine when to give public holiday. It's just an announcement we shouldn't take forever to make

I don't see how your statements dispute the fact these holidays can be legislated into law easily. What point are you trying to make?
Re: Why Does The Federal Government Have To Declare Public Holidays? by Blue3k(m): 2:34pm On Apr 29, 2022
Might be a good idea for fiscal reasons. There's no reason to have too many paid holidays. Public workers get paid at tax payers expense so they should pretend to be productive at least.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Anambra 2021: Confusion As PDP Holds Parallel Primaries / Don’t Allow Obaseki Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts, Oba Of Benin Urges FG / The Shameless Lies Of Tonye Barcanista And Hatred For South West

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.