Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,026 members, 7,799,507 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:55 PM

Germany To Start Returning Benin Bronzes From 2022 - Art, Graphics & Video (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Germany To Start Returning Benin Bronzes From 2022 (15212 Views)

Previously Unseen BENIN BRONZES Resurface In Europe And America! / Previously Unseen Benin Bronzes Resurface Around Europe And USA! / Germany To Return 7000 Benin Artefacts To Nigeria In October, Build Museum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Germany To Start Returning Benin Bronzes From 2022 by AreaFada2: 9:35pm On Apr 30, 2021
gaddafe:

What is actually different from the copy and the original? is it not the same person that did the copy and original? How much have the so called copy generated for the state so far? Don't get me wrong I'm also happy about the development but it's really not worth the effort considering the numerous challenges facing us now
Dude, if you go to top museums of the world like Louvre in Paris, you will know how millions go to see Mona Lisa. Copies of Mona Lisa are everywhere but nobody cares about them. Try to understand how art and culture works regarding paintings, sculpture and other art works. You cannot compare a copy of Picasso, Monet, Van Gogh, or works by Michangello to cheap copies.
Re: Germany To Start Returning Benin Bronzes From 2022 by NaMe4: 9:36pm On Apr 30, 2021
Sunkyapogee:
2022...return to Nigeria or Biafra?

Wetin concern Benin with Biafra?
Re: Germany To Start Returning Benin Bronzes From 2022 by AreaFada2: 9:37pm On Apr 30, 2021
gaddafe:

What is actually different from the copy and the original? is it not the same person that did the copy and original? How much have the so called copy generated for the state so far? Don't get me wrong I'm also happy about the development but it's really not worth the effort considering the numerous challenges facing us now
Dude, if you go to top museums of the world like Louvre in Paris, you will know how millions go to see Mona Lisa. Copies of Mona Lisa are everywhere but nobody cares about them. Try to understand how art and culture works regarding paintings, sculpture and other art works. You cannot compare a copy of Picasso, Monet, Van Gogh, or works by Michelangelo to cheap copies.
Re: Germany To Start Returning Benin Bronzes From 2022 by gaddafe(m): 9:49pm On Apr 30, 2021
AreaFada2:

Dude, if you go to top museums of the world like Louvre in Paris, you will know how millions go to see Mona Lisa. Copies of Mona Lisa are everywhere but nobody cares about them. Try to understand how art and culture works regarding paintings, sculpture and other art works. You cannot compare a copy of Picasso, Monet, Van Gogh, or works by Michelangelo to cheap copies.

Oga the reason people visit Paris to see those sculptures is because Paris is safe. If you're told there is a high chance of you being kidnapped in Paris,will you still go there? Are our museums currently loaded with fake materials? How many people visit our museum to see the other original materials we have? This adventure will be a fruitless one. And as someone already said above that the few ones they've returned have been converted to private property. expect something like this
Re: Germany To Start Returning Benin Bronzes From 2022 by planetx: 11:14pm On Apr 30, 2021
I have always said they will start rushing to return Africa's stolen artifacts not out of the goodness of their heart but because they know what time it is.
Re: Germany To Start Returning Benin Bronzes From 2022 by musicwriter(m): 12:08am On May 01, 2021
victorazy:

How are u sure the ones they are planning to return are actually the real stuff not duplicate?

Who knows grin
Re: Germany To Start Returning Benin Bronzes From 2022 by calcal: 2:24am On May 01, 2021
Sincerely, it is safe in that place.
Re: Germany To Start Returning Benin Bronzes From 2022 by calcal: 2:26am On May 01, 2021
NaMe4:

Wetin concern Benin with Biafra?

Where Benin belong?
Re: Germany To Start Returning Benin Bronzes From 2022 by NaMe4: 3:33am On May 01, 2021
calcal:

Where Benin belong?

There's no link between Edo State and Biafra culturally or linguistically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cx9-1QbHnI

IF any form of regionalism is achieved, Edo would either be part of its (Old) Western region from which Mid-Western region was carved out in 1963 or would be part of a neo-region comprising present-day 'South-south' States.
Re: Germany To Start Returning Benin Bronzes From 2022 by kraftysprouts: 4:22am On May 01, 2021
The UK stole these and shared it with their Allies
Re: Germany To Start Returning Benin Bronzes From 2022 by AreaFada2: 9:49am On May 01, 2021
gaddafe:

Oga the reason people visit Paris to see those sculptures is because Paris is safe. If you're told there is a high chance of you being kidnapped in Paris,will you still go there? Are our museums currently loaded with fake materials? How many people visit our museum to see the other original materials we have? This adventure will be a fruitless one. And as someone already said above that the few ones they've returned have been converted to private property. expect something like this
Well, we cannot just give up and not try. I go to museums wherever I go. Including 9ja and I see people there too. Do we close airports, shopping malls, bus garages and other places because one might be kidnapped or killed? I think not.

All aspects of Nigerian economy are underutilised including finance, manufacturing, tourism, mining, education and agriculture. Despite herdsmen killing farmers, we cannot give up our cocoa, plantain or oil palm plantations or stop farming altogether. That would be defeatist.
Benin can begin to push tourism with cultural festivals, the moat, artwork and the New museum in the offing. Waiting for monthly oil money allocation from Abuja as it is now is not sustainable.
Thailand has tourism police /volunteers who patrol tourist spots. They don't have two heads or 4 hands in Thailand. We can do same.
Re: Germany To Start Returning Benin Bronzes From 2022 by Onitola2: 9:54am On May 01, 2021
Liposure:

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/458638-germany-to-start-returning-benin-bronzes-from-2022.html
imagine coming to our land, enslaving our forefathers , forcing us to change our religion and then stealing our dieties (apart from many other things ) to sell them abroad, then telling us to thank God we've been saved.
Re: Germany To Start Returning Benin Bronzes From 2022 by Nobody: 10:35am On May 01, 2021
What of the money gained from exhibiting the artifacts on Gernan soil? They should license the Germans to make euros from the exhibits. They can use licensed duplicates in a sharing agreement. The originals come back to Nigeria.
Re: Germany To Start Returning Benin Bronzes From 2022 by gaddafe(m): 1:15pm On May 01, 2021
AreaFada2:

Well, we cannot just give up and not try. I go to museums wherever I go. Including 9ja and I see people there too. Do we close airports, shopping malls, bus garages and other places because one might be kidnapped or killed? I think not.

All aspects of Nigerian economy are underutilised including finance, manufacturing, tourism, mining, education and agriculture. Despite herdsmen killing farmers, we cannot give up our cocoa, plantain or oil palm plantations or stop farming altogether. That would be defeatist.
Benin can begin to push tourism with cultural festivals, the moat, artwork and the New museum in the offing. Waiting for monthly oil money allocation from Abuja as it is now is not sustainable.
Thailand has tourism police /volunteers who patrol tourist spots. They don't have two heads or 4 hands in Thailand. We can do same.

My answer to your last sentence is "why have we not done it"?
Nobody is saying we should shut down the country because of killings. but what you're saying is like putting the cart before the horse. It is not rubbish but you cannot be developing tourism when there is insecurity everywhere. Let's face it, there is no country that really makes money from tourism from the local population. You have to attract foreigners.
If you tell yourself the truth, do you think foreigners will be willing to visit Nigeria even if we gather all the sculptures in the world here? Even we who are citizens here are afraid to move around not to talk of foreigners.
Re: Germany To Start Returning Benin Bronzes From 2022 by victorazy(m): 1:16pm On May 01, 2021
musicwriter:

Who knows grin

Trust oyibo at ur own peril grin
Re: Germany To Start Returning Benin Bronzes From 2022 by Bedrooomsecret: 1:19pm On May 01, 2021
The story of how they stole these artifacts is purely intimidation. They came to intimidate the blacks with their weapons. If you watch the movie "Invasion" you will see how these white men invaded Benin Kingdom, killed several persons. Displaced the Oba and sent him to Calabar. Stole all the artifacts.
I just watched it on Tribe station this morning.
One thing that got me in the movie was when the king said "The white men came to show us that the color of his skin is different from the color of his heart"
Re: Germany To Start Returning Benin Bronzes From 2022 by sazycul: 1:36pm On May 01, 2021
UGBE634:
EDORODION!!
Evhanta
Re: Germany To Start Returning Benin Bronzes From 2022 by ofiko123(m): 3:45pm On May 01, 2021
Nice one....we will wait until 2022..

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Thought-provoking Satirical Illustrations By Pawel Kuczynski / Picture Editing With Photoshop (post Your Edited Picture) / 3,000 Nigerians To Learn Animation Tech

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.