Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,228 members, 7,780,432 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:10 PM

Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites (5870 Views)

Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites / Ritual Rites Held To Welcome Oba Of Lagos And His Staff Of Office / Traditional Marriage Rites Ceremony Of Umudioka Town, Dunukofia Lga Of Anambra S (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites by TAO11(f): 3:48pm On May 09, 2021
gregyboy:
We have so many word for child this is one example
Ovbi, owokan, omo
Even the word “omo” in the Binis’ usage is not used in a general or common sense.

It is reserved particularly for the free-borns, e.g. the royal Yoruba lineage of Benin.

Cc: babtoundey, fregeneh

2 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites by gregyboy(m): 4:18pm On May 09, 2021
TAO11:
“Omo” is reserved for the free-borns, e.g. the royal Yoruba lineage of Benin.

Tao11 are still on weed.... smiley, i thought we talked about you stopping

America has spoilt you.... You need to be brought back to Africa asap
Re: Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites by TAO11(f): 4:18pm On May 09, 2021
gregyboy:
I keep beating you at this everytime dont you get tired

I left politics thread longtime again away from paid political zombies and tribal bigot thinking
Culture thread another thing i like and thought it would be more interesting to talk on, and there people like you resides lieing machines

I will see be leaving culture thread from you lots fully back to politics and fucking be cuting those political zombie heads when i arrive

I have done enough good on culture
Dear @Fezz:

The actual questions I had put to you in reply to your comment is as shown in the screenshot below.

Your fellow dummy here has volunteered to assist you in answering those questions.

Are you of the opinion that his incoherent rants here actually address any aspect of my questions to you??

If YES, then please point out how. Thanks.

Re: Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites by TAO11(f): 4:21pm On May 09, 2021
Fezz:
[s]It is well known that there was a pregnant woman who was meant to be sacrificed to the Yoruba gods for roaming the streets during a particular festival. Her life was spared because she was pregnant and she was told to dedicate her unborn child to serve the yoruba gods. She eventually gave birth and dedicated her child to serve the Yoruba gods. This child later became the chief priest that worked under oduduwa. His job was to fetch herbs and look after the shrine when oduduwa was busy doing other things. This child was named "Ooni". This was the first time the name "Ooni" was used on Yoruba land... But just take a look at these disgraceful fabricators on nairaland claiming that Ooni was derived from Oghone, presumed to be the same person as Oghene. Just imagine the concoction of fables put together by the Yoruba revionists. This is a shame. Lol[/s]
All (including your version) are debunked already. But see attached.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites by TAO11(f): 4:29pm On May 09, 2021
gregyboy:
[s]Tao11 are still on weed.... smiley, i thought we talked about you stopping

America has spoilt you.... You need to be brought back to Africa asap[/s]

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites by gregyboy(m): 5:01pm On May 09, 2021
[quote author=TAO11 post=101526235][/quote]

Re: Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites by TAO11(f): 5:04pm On May 09, 2021
gregyboy:

America has spoilt you.... You need to be brought back to Africa asap[/s]
gregyboy come up with something (e.g. the usual nonsense) — at least try to save Benin kingdom from me. grin
Re: Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites by gregyboy(m): 5:10pm On May 09, 2021
TAO11:
gregyboy come up with something (e.g. the usual nonsense) — at least try to save Benin kingdom from me. grin

Lol, you cant even save yourself from weed werey
Re: Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites by TAO11(f): 5:19pm On May 09, 2021
gregyboy:

Lol, you cant even save yourself from weed werey[/s]
This is NOT how to save Benin kingdom from me. You’re making matters worse. Try something else.

Re: Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites by gregyboy(m): 5:26pm On May 09, 2021
TAO11:
This is NOT how to save Benin kingdom from me. You’re making matters worse. Try something else.

Go sitdown afonja

I know you get this kind wicked mark for face

Re: Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites by TAO11(f): 5:28pm On May 09, 2021
gregyboy:
[s]Go sitdown afonja
I know you get this kind wicked mark for face[/s]
Is that not Oba Esigie as a baby receiving his Iwu facial marks?? Hehehe cheesy grin

Save Benin kingdom from me NOW! cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites by fregeneh(m): 8:14pm On May 09, 2021
gregyboy:

We have two words for some things in benin

Unlike the yorubas that have one word for a thing with different spellings

Coconut = evin new( benin)
Coconut = kokodia (old benin)

Ass= onisan
Ass ikebe

Child= omo
Owokan (small child, youngest child)

So basically child is omo which was loaned to the yorubas through benin military expansion
Its that omo/child that I'm asking you where did you foredadies get it from?

2 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites by gregyboy(m): 8:26pm On May 09, 2021
fregeneh:

Its that omo/child that I'm asking you where did you foredadies get it from?

Its a benin word

Omomo = baby

The word found its way into yoruba lexicon through benin military conquest of the west
Re: Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites by fregeneh(m): 8:43pm On May 09, 2021
Hahahaha the same way
Ogun
iyemoja
olokun
ayelala
IFA
obatala
etc found their way into Yoruba lexicon through benin imaginary military conquest right?
gregyboy:

Its a benin word

Omomo = baby

The word found its way into yoruba lexicon through benin military conquest of the west

3 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites by macof(m): 11:48pm On May 10, 2021
Fezz:

Stop deceiving yourself. What does Oduduwa mean in yoruba? It has no meaning whatsoever unless your fabricators starts adding prefix and suffix to the name before it begins to make any sense in Yoruba language. On the other hand, Oduduwa is a typical Benin name. Izoduwa decided to settle with the name 'Oduduwa" because even though his name was corrupted to Oduduwa, the name still made perfect sense to him because he knew the meaning in Benin dialect. That is why he kept "Oduduwa" as his title name.

I will never understand how a human being can be daft enough to say Oduduwa has no meaning in Yoruba but does in Edo only to go ahead to show that it actually has no meaning in Edo grin
"Oduduwa" is not "Izoduwa". "Odu" and "Izo" are not the same thing. You don't just throw away a part of the name like that and add something unrelated.. Doing exactly what you mean @bold

Accusing Yoruba of what you were about to do in the next sentence
This only shows that the people who came up with the story in the 70s were intellectually deficient

4 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites by Nobody: 10:08pm On May 11, 2021
gregyboy:

Mechunu
Juliusmalema

Mechie Onu not Mechunu...

Lol.

I have told you that I will gladly teach you igbo language only one condition.
Re: Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites by Ideadoctor(m): 5:45am On Jun 22, 2021
gregyboy:

The was never the first ruler title, it has always been oba

The ogiso the benins mentioned to europeans in the 1600Ad were one of their mythical faiy tale stories

The benin tradition doesnt even belive in heaven they believed in the world that existed here on earth, they believed the oba who is a supereme God throne was on earth

They didnt believe in heaven which could have been result of contact with europeans over time for them to be having that thought

I believed with the europeans interaction over time during the ancient period made them to start associating A God to the heavens

Which birthed ogiso narrative

You need to understand the benin traditional belive system to get my point here

The ethnographer who took the history of ogiso narrative by benins could have even influenced the benin people on assumptions of a sky king...like Jesus

Without any further bothering

Just know there was never ogisos who really ruled bini, it is a bini myth you need to read bini ancient text writing by europeans to know this

The bini people started by migrating to their present location and they once lived in fragmented clan and each clan rose to be stronger with leaders protecting their clans, but they were so much dissatisfaction coming from the rulers the various benin clan, and man called eweka rose up from a particular clan and fought wars with the other clans defeated their leaders and formed an autonomous kingdom, after a while some clans wanted to succeed and they were attacked and defeated and there was a need to form a central government were the oba was supreme

Now oba eweka from my research would be the founder of benin kingdom and was the first oba

Ogiso were mythical talks because the benin religion does not believe in heaven they beleive on life at earth that is on land and and sea after death, the European contact was likely what made them consider life on air

Have you seen this bronze casting

The bronze shows my illustrations

The oba holdimg a leopard signifying is contol over the fofest (land) and the oba holding a fish signifying sea

There was nothing show an heavenly beign dominated the oba in heavens

If you really need a discussion buzz me up
werey! You still dey run mouth. Bini this bini that. You no dey tire? Lie Is your area of specialization. Omode.
Re: Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites by Ideadoctor(m): 5:46am On Jun 22, 2021
TAO11:
Even the word “omo” in the Binis’ usage is not used in a general or common sense.

It is reserved particularly for the free-borns, e.g. the royal Yoruba lineage of Benin.

Cc: babtoundey, fregeneh

Tao11 weldone, it has been long.
Re: Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites by Ideadoctor(m): 5:54am On Jun 22, 2021
d

2 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites by gregyboy(m): 7:51am On Jun 22, 2021
Ideadoctor:
werey! You still dey run mouth. Bini this bini that. You no dey tire? Lie Is your area of specialization. Omode.

Ozwor,

Yoruba defender
Re: Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites by gregyboy(m): 7:54am On Jun 22, 2021
Ideadoctor:
listen boy, look around you, in the words you speak, in things you see, in clothes you wear, it is Yoruba. Yorubas are great in the past, in the present and more greatness is coming to us in the future. We are like the sun that all eyes see, we are beyond the shores of Africa, we are the root of the faith of many, the anscenstors of billions and the source of your royalty. [s]Benin would forever be under the hold of oranmiyan our father, the great conqueror of the barbarians [/s](ogisos).

You're still living in your own, dresms i hooe you wake up soon amd realize it

Yorubas are cowards, their population have been a blessing to them nothing more

Re: Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites by Ideadoctor(m): 7:59am On Jun 22, 2021

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites by Ideadoctor(m): 8:12am On Jun 22, 2021
gregyboy:

Nope you funny because ypu dont think, you see only what people want you to see

I read the obvious message on screenshot before i sent it, i thought you would see beyond what was written and get my message

But you still need to be spoon fed

I pity the benins of this generation

Even to defend the history our ancestor made they cant....

If i was select true binis people like ur kind would be out listed
(laughs) liars don't agree. Since you lots had decided to base your judgement on lies you will always contradict each other.
Re: Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites by UGBE634: 5:53pm On Jun 22, 2021
Juliusmalema:

I have since stopped replying weak argument.

Edo origin...Edo ancestry...Is Nnaemeka an Edo word?

Is Ifeanyi an Edo word? Do you even know the meaning?

Is there anything like obi in Edo?

But we have oba both in Edo and Yorubas.
Tunde, Rotimi, Olusegun, segun both in Edo and Yorubas....history Oduduwa...

This is logic, sound plus visible at that.
It is not a general thing for Edos to bear Yoruba name. Most Edos don't bear it, you will only find such phenomenon among Edos that are bordered by, those who grew up in and those whose mum are yorubas. As an Edo man you can't interpret those names except with the exceptions I mentioned above who as a result of those circumstances are Bilingual.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites by UGBE634: 8:46am On Jun 23, 2021
"NAN reports that Odudua rite is a ceremony used to commemorate the return of Oranmiyan, the son of Odudua, to his biological land of Benin."

Malema you forgot this.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites by Nobody: 7:31pm On Jun 23, 2021
UGBE634:
It is not a general thing for Edos to bear Yoruba name. Most Edos don't bear it, you will only find such phenomenon among Edos that are bordered by, those who grew up in and those whose mum are yorubas. As an Edo man you can't interpret those names except with the exceptions I mentioned above who as a result of those circumstances are Bilingual.

Bilingual means a lot existed. Even chief staff to Governor obaseki or is it SSG has a Yoruba name.

The interconnectivity remains the reason the history is conflicting but one thing we know is that Edo and yoruba are same people.
Re: Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jun 23, 2021
UGBE634:
"NAN reports that Odudua rite is a ceremony used to commemorate the return of Oranmiyan, the son of Odudua, to his biological land of Benin."

Malema you forgot this.

Leave what was reported but facts that both divide only tries to promote themselves.

It only means they are one.
Re: Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites by UGBE634: 8:54pm On Jun 23, 2021
Juliusmalema:

Bilingual means a lot existed. Even chief staff to Governor obaseki or is it SSG has a Yoruba name.

The interconnectivity remains the reason the history is conflicting but one thing we know is that Edo and yoruba are same people.
And I have told you they are not in the majority. An Edo man cannot and is not suppose to be able to interpret Yoruba names. The fact you see them in Yoruba land does not mean they make up the majority at all. people from communities in Uhuwonde, Orhiowmon, ikpoba okha, oredo, Egor cannot do not come with those names except they have Yoruba mothers. There are Over 200 bini speaking communities in the two Ovia local government areas. But you only get to see them in their numbers in about 8 of them bordering ondo state. Taiwo akerele is not from Bini, he is from the northern part of Edo. Those Edoids groups that directly borders akoko in ondo state. You know this thing with proximity, sometimes you take up the language of your host as a second language in order for you to survive for the purpose of trade, interaction and all especially when your neighbours are in the majority and you are far from your host. We are not the same at all. As these yoruboid groups are to Binis and other groups in Edo state so is Ekpon to Esan. Ekpon bear Igboid names, some of them in Ekpon because they are Bilingual and their second language is close to Ika. It is only Ekpon that can interpret those names, and Ekpon is a minute part of Esanland. One can't say because Ekpon is Bilingual and is Igboid, the whole of Esan is one and the same with Igbo.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites by SirNewtonNG: 12:37pm On Feb 20, 2022
Fezz:

Oduduwa is the title name of Ekalederan. In Benin a king is always known by his title name once he becomes king. Why don't you call Oba Ewuare by his real name, I'm sure you don't even know his real name. Ekalederan's name changed to Oduduwa once he became king and that is why he's known as Oduduwa till today and he's celebrated with that name.
Oduduwa has no meaning in Yoruba unless you disect his name into pieces like you guys always do, but Oduduwa is a pure Benin name, we don't need to break it down into pieces or add anything to his name before it has a meaning.

Oduduwa has no meaning except when you dissect i into pieces Wth What sort of contradictory nonsense is this. How can a word that can be broken down etymologically with meaning not make any sense or have meaning as a whole. Tao11 where una dey see this your mumu bini miscreant children. Awon ode lawon leyi o
Re: Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites by SirNewtonNG: 12:39pm On Feb 20, 2022
gregyboy:

Ekaladerhan turned Oduduwa after 1960

Because the original Oduduwa by the benins in 1906 to the europeans was never Oduduwa

Oba erediawa was the one who turned Ekaladerhan story from an indigenous binin prince who died in the benin port of ughoton

And methaphosed him to oduduwa with his book lunch after his ascension....

Cc: Fezz

Fess

Confusion in their camp grin
TAO11

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites by BabaRamota1980: 5:43pm On Feb 21, 2022
Ctorch:
Oba of Benin, Oba Ewuare II, has announced the date for the outdoor celebration of Ugie Odudua ceremony.

This is contained in a statement, signed by Mr Frank Irabor, Secretary, Benin Traditional Council (BTC), and made available to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Benin on Friday.

Irabor said the ceremony will begin on Tuesday and last seven days at the Oba palace ground in Benin.

NAN reports that Odudua rite is a ceremony used to commemorate the return of Oranmiyan, the son of Odudua, to his biological land of Benin.

The spiritual ceremony is also used to thank God, and ancestors as well for the spirits of the land for the Oba’s successful ascension to the throne of his forebears.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/05/oba-of-benin-announces-date-for-outdoor-ceremony-of-odudua-rites/?fbclid=IwAR0HQGiBlHEzBJFH1hs-3SHoZIcFZ1MmluBg005KUoT1zWzxGjADK8r0qto

Op, can a person have a biological land? This story get K- leg like Kellogs.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Congolese Woman Sets Herself On Fire In Protest Against Racism (Pics) / ARE CERTAIN KIDS BORN WITH DREADLOCKS? / Why Do They Hate Been Called Yoruba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.