Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,877 members, 7,802,826 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:43 PM

Difference Between Religion And Tradition. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Difference Between Religion And Tradition. (1808 Views)

Similarities Between Religion And Cults. / Conflict Between Religion And State / The Difference Between Religion And Jesus Christ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Between Religion And Tradition. by johncallidon(m): 7:30am On May 02, 2021
Happy Sunday to everyone of us in this forum.

Pls. Nairalanders, there has been some thing troubling my spirit and has put me in a state of confusion.

firstly, I was made to understand that Christianity was brought to us from the #WHITES And I respect that.

Secondly, Some said that Our tradition is full of diabolic things i.e Idolatry BUT looking at the evil things found in the church and how some people commit so many unspeakable things all in the name of serving the Lord. it's giving me a second thought.

NOw, my question is WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN RELIGION &TRADITION.

N.B: Abeg make una forgive my blunder, English no b my mother tongue.
Re: Difference Between Religion And Tradition. by ictjobber: 7:38am On May 02, 2021
Religion is nothing more than a tool that’s been used over centuries to manipulate people.. A tool of control and power... Thats why we all worship the Gods of our colonial masters... Tradition on the other hand is the ome nala of a land (Even Britain get their own tradition) it is usually transmitted from generation to generation
Re: Difference Between Religion And Tradition. by Lighthouse50: 8:59am On May 02, 2021
Tradition was formed or created by men to set a standard of living and it was created by the ancestors of each ethnic groups. Religion in the other way is the standard God himself created for the safe living of his people.. There are many gods that set different standard of living for their worshippers. Example is if you have a fowl you rear, the fowl tends to live its life as it pleases but if you the owner feels that life is not good enough, you can start training the fowl on the best method you want it
Re: Difference Between Religion And Tradition. by johncallidon(m): 9:01am On May 02, 2021
ictjobber:
Religion is nothing more than a tool that’s been used over centuries to manipulate people.. A tool of control and power... Thats why we all worship the Gods of our colonial masters... Tradition on the other hand is the ome nala of a land (Even Britain get their own tradition) it is usually transmitted from generation to generation
Re: Difference Between Religion And Tradition. by johncallidon(m): 9:02am On May 02, 2021
ictjobber:
Thank You.
Re: Difference Between Religion And Tradition. by johncallidon(m): 9:04am On May 02, 2021
Lighthouse50:
Tradition was formed or created by men to set a standard of living and it was created by the ancestors of each ethnic groups. Religion in the other way is the standard God himself created for the safe living of his people.. There are many gods that set different standard of living for their worshippers. Example is if you have a fowl you rear, the fowl tends to live its life as it pleases but if you the owner feels that life is not good enough, you can start training the fowl on the best method you want it
Thanks alot.
Re: Difference Between Religion And Tradition. by paxonel(m): 9:19am On May 02, 2021
johncallidon:
Happy Sunday to everyone of us in this forum.

Pls. Nairalanders, there has been some thing troubling my spirit and has put me in a state of confusion.

firstly, I was made to understand that Christianity was brought to us from the #WHITES And I respect that.

Secondly, Some said that Our tradition is full of diabolic things i.e Idolatry BUT looking at the evil things found in the church and how some people commit so many unspeakable things all in the name of serving the Lord. it's giving me a second thought.

N.B: Abeg make una forgive my blunder, English no b my mother tongue.
people commit unspeakable things in the name of tradition too, not only in religion. Infact, it has been proven tradition in religion is what has made evil pronounced in religion.

For instance, the belief that one Jesus will come and rapture people someday was an European traditional fictious belief which was carried over into African religious beliefs and it is affecting Africans negatively today. Meanwhile the Europeans have overcomed such beliefs a long time ago and they are developed today.

And why is such beliefs affecting Africans today?
If you look at it, people are not interested in fighting of their rights and live a quality life here in Africa because they believe that everything is vanity, that it is useless living quality that will be destroyed someday by the coming of rapture, so they are so scared inherently
Re: Difference Between Religion And Tradition. by johncallidon(m): 12:48pm On May 02, 2021
paxonel:
people commit unspeakable things in the name of tradition too, not only in religion. Infact, it has been proven tradition in religion is what has made evil pronounced in religion.

For instance, the belief that one Jesus will come and rapture people someday was an European traditional fictious belief which was carried over into African religious beliefs and it is affecting Africans negatively today. Meanwhile the Europeans have overcomed such beliefs a long time ago and they are developed today.

And why is such beliefs affecting Africans today?
If you look at it, people are not interested in fighting of their rights and live a quality life here in Africa because they believe that everything is vanity, that it is useless living quality that will be destroyed someday by the coming of rapture, so they are so scared inherently
wonderful! Now I understand.
Re: Difference Between Religion And Tradition. by Kobojunkie: 2:18am On May 03, 2021
Lighthouse50:
I don't agree! undecided

God did not create a way for "safe living" but instead He came with an agreement, a contract, to sign with individuals Interesting in living in His Kingdom. undecided

The religion that is built , by men, around God however, is operated by men using doctrines and commandments set down by men as standard for "safe living ". undecided

God never asked to be worshipped in the way that your religions do...He never asked anyone to clap and sing in his name or to gather to preach sermons in his name. In God's term, "worship" simply implies to trust and obey the terms and conditions of the contract or agreement that God has made with individual man. undecided

The religious ceremonies you see in churches and cathedrals have nothing to do with what God asked for. undecided
Re: Difference Between Religion And Tradition. by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:48am On May 03, 2021
johncallidon:
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN RELIGION &TRADITION
Religion and tradition is a belief in a spiritual reality (often including at least one deity), accompanied by practices or rituals pertaining to the belief. Sadly in most cases this often comes with myths and fables that has no positive impact on the practicers of such beliefs.
Faith on the other hand is the assured expectation of what is hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities that are not seen.
So from inception all the nations on this planet were practicing religions/traditions passed onto them by their ancestors whether it's yielding positive results or not.
But when faith arrives with the life and ministry of a first century young Jewish carpenter named Jesus of Nazareth, many right thinking persons began seeing the difference between religion/tradition and FAITH. Unlike religion/tradition that's only upheld without any positive result in the gathering of adherents FAITH began yielding positive results like LOVE JOY PEACE PATIENCE GOODNESS GENTLENESS FAITH MILDNESS and SELF-CONTROL in the gathering of adherents.
However there were demons (spirits) backing up religion/tradition to keep adherents under their control so these demons in a bid to continue ruling amongst humans deliberately disguised as angels of light pretending to be working for FAITH whereas they only changed their identity, they're still the same demons backing up lies (myth) upheld by adherents of unprofitable religions/traditions.
Today God has intervened by sending a mighty spirit being to gather all obedient and faithful people under one Organization for the sake of FAITH while thousands of groups around are still practicing religion/tradition.

God said in a book called "Bible" :
In the final part of the days, The mountain of the house of Jehovah Will become firmly established above the top of the mountains, And it will be raised up above the hills, And to it peoples will stream. 2 And many nations will go and say: “Come, let us go up to the mountain of Jehovah And to the house of the God of Jacob. He will instruct us about his ways, And we will walk in his paths.” For law will go out of Zion, And the word of Jehovah out of Jerusalem. 3 He will render judgment among many peoples And set matters straight respecting mighty nations far away. They will beat their swords into plowshares And their spears into pruning shears. Nation will not lift up sword against nation, Nor will they learn war anymore. Micah 4:1-3

So to distinguish between those practicing worthless religion/tradition and people of FAITH God said we living in the last days will notice a global family of peace loving worshipers taking shape in our eyes {Matthew 5:13-16} people from different races, skin colours, languages, status, educational background and classes coming together to form one big and happy family of peace loving worshipers, they will not allow racism or politics to cause a division amongst them, they will settle all their differences, they will destroy all weapons of war, they will no more enrol in any military forces neither will they think of wars again.

This will serve as a sign that FAITH is at work in our own time and whoever want to become God's friend will join them as part of God's people! Zechariah 8:23

May you have PEACE! smiley
Re: Difference Between Religion And Tradition. by johncallidon(m): 6:57am On May 03, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

Religion and tradition is a belief in a spiritual reality (often including at least one deity), accompanied by practices or rituals pertaining to the belief. Sadly in most cases this often comes with myths and fables that has no positive impact on the practicers of such beliefs.
Faith on the other hand is the assured expectation of what is hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities that are not seen.
So from inception all the nations on this planet were practicing religions/traditions passed onto them by their ancestors whether it's yielding positive results or not.
But when faith arrives with the life and ministry of a first century young Jewish carpenter named Jesus of Nazareth, many right thinking persons began seeing the difference between religion/tradition and FAITH. Unlike religion/tradition that's only upheld without any positive result in the gathering of adherents FAITH began yielding positive results like LOVE JOY PEACE PATIENCE GOODNESS GENTLENESS FAITH MILDNESS and SELF-CONTROL in the gathering of adherents.
However there were demons (spirits) backing up religion/tradition to keep adherents under their control so these demons in a bid to continue ruling amongst humans deliberately disguised as angels of light pretending to be working for FAITH whereas they only changed their identity, they're still the same demons backing up lies (myth) upheld by adherents of unprofitable religions/traditions.
Today God has intervened by sending a mighty spirit being to gather all obedient and faithful people under one Organization for the sake of FAITH while thousands of groups around are still practicing religion/tradition.

God said in a book called "Bible" :
In the final part of the days, The mountain of the house of Jehovah Will become firmly established above the top of the mountains, And it will be raised up above the hills, And to it peoples will stream. 2 And many nations will go and say: “Come, let us go up to the mountain of Jehovah And to the house of the God of Jacob. He will instruct us about his ways, And we will walk in his paths.” For law will go out of Zion, And the word of Jehovah out of Jerusalem. 3 He will render judgment among many peoples And set matters straight respecting mighty nations far away. They will beat their swords into plowshares And their spears into pruning shears. Nation will not lift up sword against nation, Nor will they learn war anymore. Micah 4:1-3

So to distinguish between those practicing worthless religion/tradition and people of FAITH God said we living in the last days will notice a global family of peace loving worshipers taking shape in our eyes {Matthew 5:13-16} people from different races, skin colours, languages, status, educational background and classes coming together to form one big and happy family of peace loving worshipers, they will not allow racism or politics to cause a division amongst them, they will settle all their differences, they will destroy all weapons of war, they will no more enrol in any military forces neither will they think of wars again.

This will serve as a sign that FAITH is at work in our own time and whoever want to become God's friend will join them as part of God's people! Zechariah 8:23

May you have PEACE! smiley
Amen! Thank you for taking out your time to reply my thread.
Re: Difference Between Religion And Tradition. by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:29am On May 03, 2021
You're welcome Sir!

God introduced Himself to mankind in general through the pages of the book called "Bible", He revealed how religion started and where all the peoples got their different gods.
That's why He kept emphasizing on the point that He is the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Of course He is the Creator of all but not everyone is worshiping Him.
Today He has separated His worshipers from all other peoples practicing religion/tradition, the sign you will notice is religionsts/traditionalists will never know PEACE in their gathering as long as they're from different races there will always be wars devastating their oneness, but people belonging to FAITH will be so united that everyone will confirm that they LOVE themselves! John 13:34-35

Today the people belonging to faith are known as JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES! smiley

johncallidon:

Amen! Thank you for taking out your time to reply my thread.
Re: Difference Between Religion And Tradition. by Lighthouse50: 6:15pm On May 03, 2021
Kobojunkie:
I don't agree! undecided

God did not create a way for "safe living" but instead He came with an agreement, a contract, to sign with individuals Interesting in living in His Kingdom. undecided

The religion that is built , by men, around God however, is operated by men using doctrines and commandments set down by men as standard for "safe living ". undecided

God never asked to be worshipped in the way that your religions do...He never asked anyone to clap and sing in his name or to gather to preach sermons in his name. In God's term, "worship" simply implies to trust and obey the terms and conditions of the contract or agreement that God has made with individual man. undecided

The religious ceremonies you see in churches and cathedrals have nothing to do with what God asked for. undecided
so whats the agreement and contract as im interested to sign in
Re: Difference Between Religion And Tradition. by Kobojunkie: 8:19pm On May 03, 2021
Lighthouse50:
so whats the agreement and contract as im interested to sign in
The New Covenant, Jesus Christ, the Law in the Kingdom of God, that is the Contract agreement between God and individuals. Jesus Christ is the embodiment of God's Law to people of all nations and this through His teachings(Truth) and His life, an example to all who will accept/submit to and obey the Truth of God. undecided

God is God of Laws and since the beginning in Genesis there are about 7 Covenants that God has made with various men and peoples. Jesus Christ is the last of these Covenants. Unlike the Covenants before Him, Jesus Christ comes to us with a light yoke and an easy burden. undecided
Much like the previous Covenant God made with the people of Israel, Jesus Christ is what I call a complete Covenant complete with Blessings, Curses, laws or commandments, seals, eligibility criteria, ceremony, promises, and even a Kingdom of His own, all this described in much detail in the 4 Gospels(Matthew, Mark, Luke and John). undecided

Jesus Christ,the agreement exists directly between God and the individual signee, not groups , so those who follow groups and religions are out of luck as this journey is one to be walked through alone. Each person is expected to listen only to Jesus Christ and Jesus Christ alone through out every step of this journey. For Jesus Christ is the only Teacher/Master/authority and Shepherd over all those who belong to Him. He alone is mediator undecided

And the key to successfully fulfilling the terms and conditions of the contract is not prayer but instead obedience. Though everyone who believes is given the ability to become a Son of God, it is only those who submit to the terms and conditions of the contract, in obedience, that move on to indeed become Sons of God. And those who continue in full submission and obedience will do works of righteousness(God's) through His own Spirit, which He installs, alongside that of Jesus Christ's in everyone who fully commits the contract that is Jesus Christ through obedience - there is no other way. undecided

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Religion And Tradition. by Lighthouse50: 6:02am On May 04, 2021
Mr kobojunke, you are right.. One more thing is the name Jesus. I read thats not Christ's name. They said the translation of the name to english altered the power of the name. Its like having one in ,mind and calling another. They said his name is Yeshua and old testament referred him as Joshua.. What can you say to this
Re: Difference Between Religion And Tradition. by Kobojunkie: 6:20am On May 04, 2021
Lighthouse50:
Mr kobojunke, you are right.. One more thing is the name Jesus. I read thats not Christ's name. They said the translation of the name to english altered the power of the name. Its like having one in ,mind and calling another. They said his name is Yeshua and old testament referred him as Joshua.. What can you say to this
God sent Jesus Christ as His Covenant to bless the Nations with. If the pronounciation of the name mattered so much as far as the agreement is concerned, God would have throughly announced this even through His prophets of Old, or given us several clues to ensure it is retained even as it is translated over several languages world over. undecided

No matter what translation used, the name still gets prayers answered and persons healed. So I think those who obsess about the name and its proper pronounciation obsess over the wrong things. What matters is not how you say His name but whether or not you submit to and obey His teachings and commandments or not...that alone is the key to unlocking the promises locked within the New Covenant that is Jesus Christ. undecided

In short, obedience is the key to the Kingdom of God; and obedience is the key to becoming a Son of God. Obedience is the key to holiness/perfection and obedience is the key to righteousness. No one can enter into the Kingdom of Heaven without continuing in obedience to the commandments and teachings of Jesus Christ,the New Covenant Law in the Kingdom of God. undecided

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Religion And Tradition. by Dtruthspeaker: 7:26am On May 04, 2021
johncallidon:

When you put the question this way there is no difference between religion and tradition, for they are both mean the same thing which is "Regular Practice of a person or people" eg it is traditional/religious to go to club every Friday night or watch football!

But if you ask the difference between the tradition of Christianity and the tradition of the people called Custom, then there is a difference!
Re: Difference Between Religion And Tradition. by johncallidon(m): 12:07am On May 05, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

When you put the question this way there is no difference between religion and tradition, for they are both mean the same thing which is "Regular Practice of a person or people" eg it is traditional/religious to go to club every Friday night or watch football!

But if you ask the difference between the tradition of Christianity and the tradition of the people called Custom, then there is a difference!
owky, Now I understand better.
Thanks and God Bless.

(1) (Reply)

Demonic Clothes Has Invaded The Market: The Current Trends Among The Youths / Why Must Christians Suffer? / Only God Is Dependable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.