Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,868 members, 7,802,799 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:50 PM

Hunger Will Take You Places Satisfaction Won't - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Hunger Will Take You Places Satisfaction Won't (207 Views)

Nigerian Law School Places 5-Year Ban On Datti Ahmed’s Baze University / What Are Those Courses You Won't Advise Anyone To Study In Nigeria? / NUT Laments As Teachers Die Of Hunger In Kogi Due To Non-payment Of Salaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Hunger Will Take You Places Satisfaction Won't by ImahGabi22(m): 7:45pm On May 03, 2021
I’ve always disliked asking my parents for money right from when I was in SS1. No, it wasn’t that I had huge bucks of my own or pride but because I didn’t want to depend on them again.

You may be wondering, why would a 14-year old not want to lean on his parents and get the necessary support?
You see, I wasn’t just any 14-year old, I was one whom needed to make a difference and contribute financially to the family.

I had this desire because I saw the challenges that were happening in my family, one of which was being thrown out of my apartment and having our properties stolen.

So, what did I do?

I was quite brilliant and decided to start teaching my mates class work they didn’t understand. I charged them N300 per session and had up to 3 students per day. Although some didn’t attend, I was able to buy take care of my little expenses. Some days I had extra and gave my mom to support herself and buy stuffs at home.

This worked quite well but I needed to level up. During this time, I noticed the struggle my parents faced while trying to pay my school fees and decided to relieve her of the burden totally.

How? I couldn’t raise the over N50K that was needed to pay my school fees but my school offered a scholarship program for the best student. Alas, I found a way to help my mom.

I studied like crazy. Had zero social life, focused on my books and went absolute introvert. It got to a point, I didn’t even go out during break-time.

All because I NEEDED that scholarship!
After that semester, guess what?
Home boy bagged the scholarship, coming out FIRST in the three terms.

Now, why am I telling you this…

In one sentence, and I owe this sentence to the book Sweet Sixteen, “HUNGER WILL TAKE YOU PLACES, SATISFACTION WON’T.”

If you enjoyed this post, do leave a comment and like. Thanks!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hunger Will Take You Places Satisfaction Won't by HealerH: 11:17pm On May 03, 2021
You just confused me. grin

I thought I was reading your experience as a 14 year-old student only to see you start talking about semesters. Plus 50K school fees. You're from a poor family and you pay 50k in your junior secondary school?

My recommendations in financial motivational books.
1. Richest man in Babylon
2. Rich Dad, Poor Dad.
3. 48 Laws of Power.

(1) (Reply)

The Application Wearable Computers In Tropical Disease Management / Jamb Registration:possible Postponement Of The Examination / What Are The Most Important Supplements That Can Boost Your Immunity?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.