Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,334 members, 7,780,875 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:42 AM

What Do You Think Is The Most Famous Name In Your Tribe. - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Do You Think Is The Most Famous Name In Your Tribe. (16221 Views)

The Famous Mkpokiti Dance In Anambra (Photos) / Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe / Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do You Think Is The Most Famous Name In Your Tribe. by Nobody: 4:01pm On May 05, 2021
AngelicDamsel:
CHUKWU or CHI precedes many names in igbo.

In Ogoni tribe, Rivers. I think the most popular name is Mensua...... meaning who knows tomorrow.

MensuayeBari....... Only God knows tomorrow.

Just like the igbos, Bari precedes most names in Ogoni.
Bari means God.

Boredom o

Yes. (paternal)
Ogoni and Ijaw are close then
Re: What Do You Think Is The Most Famous Name In Your Tribe. by OlawaleBammie: 4:06pm On May 05, 2021
wallrichy:
Wale
Dele
Ade
Femi
Kola

Waagbayi jare
Olawale is the head always grin
Re: What Do You Think Is The Most Famous Name In Your Tribe. by Danz123: 4:07pm On May 05, 2021
Charliewyt:
Nnamdi Kanu.

Sunday Igboho.

Abubakar Shekau, Pantami and Gumi.

where you wan put Buhari...... no name popular reach that name right now for hausa
Re: What Do You Think Is The Most Famous Name In Your Tribe. by Danz123: 4:12pm On May 05, 2021
itsekiri......... JOLOMI in short Oritse anything urohobo...... TEGA in short oghene anything ijaw...... Laifa.... or Tamara anything
Re: What Do You Think Is The Most Famous Name In Your Tribe. by Emperormartin(m): 4:13pm On May 05, 2021
In the northern part of Abia state leave Kalu, kamalu, kalunta and kanu for them.
These people don't joke with their ancient names
Re: What Do You Think Is The Most Famous Name In Your Tribe. by Classickj(m): 4:17pm On May 05, 2021
Calabar names Okon Akpan Bassey Ekaete Ubong
Re: What Do You Think Is The Most Famous Name In Your Tribe. by WoundedLamb: 4:21pm On May 05, 2021
For men, Pierre meaning Peter or stone.
For Ladies, Chantal meaning stone as well.
Re: What Do You Think Is The Most Famous Name In Your Tribe. by Emperormartin(m): 4:27pm On May 05, 2021
michaellovaldo:
For us here in Germany it's Muller cheesy cheesy grin
Auch Bernd
Re: What Do You Think Is The Most Famous Name In Your Tribe. by vincentjk(m): 4:33pm On May 05, 2021
Benue and tiv na onee lo
Re: What Do You Think Is The Most Famous Name In Your Tribe. by BabaIbo: 4:34pm On May 05, 2021
GBOLAGBURUGBURU:

How will you say chigozie is more popular than Emeka.
I can consider chinedu or even obi, but not chigozie.

Emeka and Chigozie comparison is probable sha.
What about Chibuzor/Chijioke?

The bottom line is Emeka is not the most popular Igbo name.
All these names are popular but saying Emeka is more popular is wrong.

Yes, they are surnames that is why I left them out.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Is The Most Famous Name In Your Tribe. by Emperormartin(m): 4:40pm On May 05, 2021
Armanipounds:

Really? Anyway my surname is Ene but am not from Idoma, am from Enugu, Nkanu to be precise.
Ene is Enugu and Benue name
Re: What Do You Think Is The Most Famous Name In Your Tribe. by toprealman: 4:43pm On May 05, 2021
athaboi:
Chioma no popular pass ONYINYE
Emeka no popular pass Uche
Whoever is responsible for your mileage reduction must be called Uche right?
Re: What Do You Think Is The Most Famous Name In Your Tribe. by Sleekfingers: 4:46pm On May 05, 2021
wallrichy:
Wale Dele Ade Femi Kola

how is ADE a name ?
Re: What Do You Think Is The Most Famous Name In Your Tribe. by philfrey08: 4:47pm On May 05, 2021
Oshokalo:
anybody wey dey answer emeka is a born fraudster 419,if u get emeka for ur office it is either him dey chop u small small or him dey target amount to take japa

I am Emeka ooo
I am innocent ooooo

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Is The Most Famous Name In Your Tribe. by GBOLAGBURUGBURU(m): 4:59pm On May 05, 2021
BabaIbo:

Emeka and Chigozie comparison is probable sha.
What about Chibuzor/Chijioke?

The bottom line is Emeka is not the most popular Igbo name.
All these names are popular but saying Emeka is more popular is wrong.

Yes, they are surnames that is why I left them out.
Well your submission is respected but my standpoint is from my personal and day to day experience.
It's easier for me to move into a new place or environment and see more than one Emeka when compared to chijioke or chibuzor.
Re: What Do You Think Is The Most Famous Name In Your Tribe. by Aleem26(m): 5:05pm On May 05, 2021
AngelicDamsel:
CHUKWU or CHI precedes many names in igbo.

In Ogoni tribe, Rivers. I think the most popular name is Mensua...... meaning who knows tomorrow.

MensuayeBari....... Only God knows tomorrow.

Just like the igbos, Bari precedes most names in
Ogoni.
Bari means God.

Boredom o

I work in Onne port but my wife is from Gokana Ogoni

Yes. (paternal)
Re: What Do You Think Is The Most Famous Name In Your Tribe. by Jackmj(m): 5:07pm On May 05, 2021
Cindy222:
ENE is very popular in my language,I am idoma by tribe. Guess what? My name is Ene too��

What of oche
Almost all the idoma guys I know are oche

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Is The Most Famous Name In Your Tribe. by Jackmj(m): 5:09pm On May 05, 2021
Tiv = Male =sesugh Female =Doo
Re: What Do You Think Is The Most Famous Name In Your Tribe. by harmony75: 5:13pm On May 05, 2021
For Igbos Obi, Chi in every family lolz chidinma, Chima etc Yoruba Ayo there's Ayodele,Ayodeji in every Yoruba family!
Re: What Do You Think Is The Most Famous Name In Your Tribe. by sammugbes(m): 5:29pm On May 05, 2021
Bvmsson:
AMEH is very popular to the igala tribe.
not sure about it, it's ojonugwa, arome, okpanachi
Re: What Do You Think Is The Most Famous Name In Your Tribe. by labelle123(f): 5:41pm On May 05, 2021
ADA for female
Obinna for male
Re: What Do You Think Is The Most Famous Name In Your Tribe. by Theevilone(m): 5:42pm On May 05, 2021
athaboi:
Chioma no popular pass ONYINYE
Emeka no popular pass Uche

Ur not right EMEKA is the most popular name in igbo land even in films books etc

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Is The Most Famous Name In Your Tribe. by Bintexy(f): 5:43pm On May 05, 2021
URHOBO

Elohor
Efe
Ese
Tega
Ufuoma
Onome
Tobore
Aghogho
Akpevwe
Re: What Do You Think Is The Most Famous Name In Your Tribe. by Vivian16: 5:54pm On May 05, 2021
CHINONSO OBINNA IFEANYI NGOZI ADA
Re: What Do You Think Is The Most Famous Name In Your Tribe. by BabaIbo: 5:57pm On May 05, 2021
GBOLAGBURUGBURU:

Well your submission is respected but my standpoint is from my personal and day to day experience.
It's easier for me to move into a new place or environment and see more than one Emeka when compared to chijioke or chibuzor.

You're right, it's all based on personal opinion.

Just like my side, my observations are based on my personal experience.

Hope your day went well, enjoy!
Re: What Do You Think Is The Most Famous Name In Your Tribe. by femi4: 6:13pm On May 05, 2021
GBOLAGBURUGBURU:
What do you think is the most famous masculine and feminine name in your ethnic group. Or other ethnic group if you may.

Well I'm Igbo so I think
Emeka for males
Chioma or Chidinma for female.

Then if I am permitted for Yorubas I think Femi and Funke.

Whilst Hausa I am guessing Musa.
All hausa fulani girls are Aisha
Male : Mohammed

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Is The Most Famous Name In Your Tribe. by owbabs: 6:59pm On May 05, 2021
Prefixes

Ola
Olu
Ade
Ogun
Ayo
Re: What Do You Think Is The Most Famous Name In Your Tribe. by Ndipe(m): 7:02pm On May 05, 2021
Akpan (popular surname)

First names may be

Mfon and Ekaette (ibibios)
Re: What Do You Think Is The Most Famous Name In Your Tribe. by udemzyudex(m): 7:04pm On May 05, 2021
eyamensah:
'Ekaete' and 'Okon' for the Efiks and Ibibios

Okon ans Ekaete? in this 21st century?

I don't think you're from Akwa-ibom, you better post what you know and stop f00ling around.
Re: What Do You Think Is The Most Famous Name In Your Tribe. by cayorday89(m): 7:14pm On May 05, 2021
Yoruba, na TOPE of different varieties..
Akwa Ibom.... UDUAK and AKPAN.
Igbo, beautiful ONYINYE
Hausa. MUHAMMED and AISHA
Re: What Do You Think Is The Most Famous Name In Your Tribe. by GYBABA(m): 7:19pm On May 05, 2021
For Igbo tribe, I think Emeka & Uche for male

Ada & Ngozi for females.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? / Oluwo Of Iwo, Akanbi, Threatens To ‘Arrest’ Magistrate / Yoruba People And insults

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.