Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,514 members, 7,808,877 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:26 PM

3 Really Simple Factors To Check When Choosing Your Book Cover Design - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 3 Really Simple Factors To Check When Choosing Your Book Cover Design (312 Views)

How To Make N400,000 Steady Monthly Income With Your Book / Which Is The Better Back Cover Design For My Short Story / I will Design A Book Cover For ₦1000 (Portfolio Inside) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Really Simple Factors To Check When Choosing Your Book Cover Design by Nobody: 9:58am On May 05, 2021
As an author, one of the most exciting things when it comes to publishing your book is having your cover design (personally, I get excited at this stage as a graphic artist cheesy)

But then, a lot of authors usually rush into it and as a Graphic Artist, I can say over the years, I've met authors who don't give a damn about your design, on the other hand too, I've seen a handful of picky ones who want everything according to detail cheesy

However, as an author you might to take into consideration some really simple but important factors when designing your cover design or choosing from a set of inputs if you hired a Graphic Artist especially considering the time it took you to put the book together.

So let's go right into it!
Three factors to consider when choosing a design or designing yourself...

1. YOUR AUDIENCE: You definitely wrote your book with a specific audience in mind; the same applies when choosing a design for your cover.

Your readers should be able to identify immediately with the work.

You should consider what images, typography and composition styles that will resonate with your readers.

A book that is based on personal health and nutrition may attract readers with images that relate to the benefits of exercise, which gives the reader a feeling of ‘you can do it too – if you buy this book’.

A great way to get started is to do your market research – have a look to see what sells in your genre, and what doesn’t. As a Graphic Artist, I've worked with lots of publishers who would be survive m specific concerning the kind of fonts, colour or images they want. It shows a level of research

(2) The Style of Imagery that will reflect your story the most

Choosing an image to use on your cover is a daunting task. There are multiple styles of imagery you can use on your cover – the most important being photographic, illustrative or vector based.

Although Non-fiction have less opportunity to play around with imagery as it is much more literal, Fictional books have more opportunity to be abstract and expressive.

Choosing imagery can be a daunting task for Graphic artists as much as when self-designing

It's known generally that A Picture is worth a Thousand Words cheesy, so getting that imagery that speaks your mind might be a lil bit stressful, bear that in mind

3. What Will Make My Book Stand Out Above The Rest in its genre?

To appeal to your target readers you want your book to look similar in style to others in its genre, as then readers will be drawn to your cover.

However, you don’t want to blend in with the rest of the bookshelf – you want to stand out. Designing your cover at thumbnail size helps to give you the eye for having maximum impact, even from a far distance. Another method is to take your book cover design a step further than most by avoiding genre-generic images, using an image that will bring intrigue and draw a reader in wanting to know more. An example of this would be using an image of an empty staircase for a psychological thriller – take a look at these examples. Thinking outside the box is the rule of play here

So here you have it guys, factors to consider when designing yourself or choosing a design for your book title as an author.

Do you need help with an upcoming project, feel free to reach out and Let's discuss...
Contact's on signature

I wish you good-luck on your next project

© Elev8 Design Hub
Re: 3 Really Simple Factors To Check When Choosing Your Book Cover Design by Nobody: 4:31pm On May 06, 2021
Get your audience looking from the cover of your book to the page 1!

Now, you don't want them shying away from all that Great content only because of the cover.

We're here
I help authors draw their audience into the book with the cover for a living

Give your book that edge and help it stand noticed among several books!

Reach out to Elev8 Design Hub today, let's help you get started on your next project

We promise quality, we deliver quality...!
Re: 3 Really Simple Factors To Check When Choosing Your Book Cover Design by Nobody: 3:40pm On May 07, 2021
Whether you're publishing your book to a local market or online, you'd still have to take care of your book

Many of you know about Wattpad, Inkitt, Okadabooks etc

You know how competitive the platforms are not to talk about local markets

Just as important as your Title is, the book cover design has to have undergone meticulous crafting to bring you the desired results which is get people looking from the cover to your page 1, you don't want people looking off to the next book after being turned away by poor or boring title coupled with poor or low quality graphics

Give your book the edge in a competitive market today...

Hire a professional!

Hire creativity!
We are Elev8 Design Hub
Re: 3 Really Simple Factors To Check When Choosing Your Book Cover Design by Nobody: 9:30pm On May 08, 2021
Good evening guys

Meanwhile, if you have questions, you can reach out here https://www.nairaland.com/6543561/book-cover-question-enquiry-thread#101486034 and I'll answer them publicly

If you want to ask privately, my contact's on my signature, (WhatsApp only)

Peace!

(1) (Reply)

Ẹdẹ / Niche Blog Writer / How to protect the hair curls from the dying and bleaching process

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.