Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,947 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:37 PM

Help! My 07 Accord V6 Guzzles Fuel Like A Drunk - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Help! My 07 Accord V6 Guzzles Fuel Like A Drunk (6616 Views)

UP / Very Sharp Accident Free 07 Accord 4 Grabs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!! / Naija Used Range Rover Hse 2005 And 07 Accord Naija Used For Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! My 07 Accord V6 Guzzles Fuel Like A Drunk by biggiyke(m): 1:33pm On Apr 25, 2011
guys, my "check engine" lights came on recently and i had it scanned. it indicated a fault code of P2647 "Rocker Arm Actuator Stuck On". my local mechanic knows nothing about that part in an engine and i dont wanna risk trial n error methods.

my question is what is the function of the rocker arm and where is it located in the engine? can it lead to higher fuel consumption rate? if its d culprit, what can i do?

by the way, i service my car regularly with Mobil1, iv changed oil filter/air filters when due too. neva changed the platinum plugs but my mechanic says its ok.

replies are appreciated in advance.
Re: Help! My 07 Accord V6 Guzzles Fuel Like A Drunk by Operation(m): 2:56pm On Apr 25, 2011
Hi,

I did a quick search and found this posted by a honda tech,
Just so you have an idea of whats going on. I wouldn't use a local mechanic at all, either do it yourself or go to a large mechanic/dealer and pay the extra cash - so that you will still have a working car.

DTC P2647: Rocker Arm Oil Pressure Switch (VTEC Oil Pressure Switch) Circuit High Voltage
The first step in diagnosing that code is to check oil level. There is a diag test to check the switch which I'll give you but you would need Honda scan tool. I would have the code cleared and see if it returns with the oil full.
Hopefully this answers your question and you accept. Positive feedback is appreciated and please let me know if I can assist you with anything else.
Check the engine oil level. Is the level OK? YES - Go to step 2. NO - Adjust the engine oil to the proper level, then go to step 14.
Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
Clear the DTC with the HDS.
Do the VTEC TEST in the INSPECTION MENU with the HDS. Is the result OK? YES - Intermittent failure, system is OK at this time. Check for poor connections or loose terminals at the rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch) and the ECM/PCM. NO - Go to step 5.
Check the result of step 4.
VTEC Switch Failure
VTEC Switch Open
VTEC Switch SIG Line Open
VTEC Switch GND Line Open
Is the test result any of the above?

YES - Go to step 6.

NO - Check for poor connections or loose terminals at the rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch). If it is OK, replace the rocker arm oil control solenoid (VTEC solenoid valve), then go to step 14.
6. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
7. Disconnect the rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch) 2P connector.
8. At the rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch), check for continuity between rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch) 2P connector terminals No. 1 and No. 2. Is there continuity? YES - Go to step 9. NO - Replace the rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch), then go to step 13.
9. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
10. Measure voltage between rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch) 2P connector terminal No. 1 and body ground. Is there battery voltage? YES - Repair open in the wire between the rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch) and G101,then go to step 13. NO - Go to step 11.
11. Measure voltage between ECM/PCM connector terminal B11 and body ground. Is there battery voltage? YES - Repair open in the wire between the ECM/PCM (B11) and the rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch), then go to step 12. NO - Go to step 19.
12. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
13. Reconnect the rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch) 2P connector.
14. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
15. Reset the ECM/PCM with the HDS.
16. Do the ECM/PCM idle learn procedure.
17. Check for Temporary DTCs or DTCs with the HDS. Are any Temporary DTCs or DTCs indicated? YES - If DTC P2647 is indicated, check for poor connections or loose terminals at the rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch) and the ECM/PCM, then go to step 1. If any other Temporary DTCs or DTCs are indicated, go to the indicated DTC's troubleshooting. NO - Go to step 18.
18. Monitor the OBD STATUS for DTC P2647 in the DTCs MENU with the HDS. Does the screen indicate PASSED? YES - Troubleshooting is complete. NO - If the screen indicates FAILED, then go to step 1 and recheck. If the screen indicates NOT COMPLETED, go to step 16 and recheck.
Update the ECM/PCM if it does not have the latest software, or substitute a known-good ECM/PCM.
Check for Temporary DTCs or DTCs with the HDS. Are any Temporary DTCs or DTCs indicated? YES - If DTC P2647 is indicated, check for poor connections or loose terminals at the rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch) and the ECM/PCM, then go to step 1. If any other Temporary DTCs or DTCs are indicated, go to the indicated DTC's troubleshooting. NO - If the ECM/PCM was updated, troubleshooting is complete. If the ECM/PCM was substituted, replace the original ECM/PCM.
Re: Help! My 07 Accord V6 Guzzles Fuel Like A Drunk by kuntash: 8:42pm On Apr 25, 2011
I ve not own or driven a Honda b4, but the internet says that code is related to an oil pressure switch, I am worried for you about ur mechanic, the engine would obviously be too complicated for him,

just search for the repair manual online, look for the switch , if possible , replace. then rescan , also ask ur mechanic to clean ur throttle head with this spray cleaners, he should open the air inlet vacuum and clean thoroughly,,, this might help with ur fuel consumption, there are also some injector cleaners u pour inside ur tank in a bid to cleaning ur nozzles , it has worked for me, best of luck
Re: Help! My 07 Accord V6 Guzzles Fuel Like A Drunk by Ikenna351(m): 9:31pm On Apr 25, 2011
biggiyke:

guys, my "check engine" lights came on recently and i had it scanned. it indicated a fault code of P2647 "Rocker Arm Actuator Stuck On". my local mechanic knows nothing about that part in an engine and i dont wanna risk trial n error methods.

my question is what is the function of the rocker arm and where is it located in the engine? can it lead to higher fuel consumption rate? if its d culprit, what can i do?

by the way, i service my car regularly with Mobil1, iv changed oil filter/air filters when due too. neva changed the platinum plugs but my mechanic says its ok.

replies are appreciated in advance.

The Rocker arm is located in the Cylinder head. Its attached on the Camshaft and it controls the Inlet & exhaust valves to open and close via the engine timing. Yes, faulty rocker arm would cause rich fuel economy (engine will drink fuel like fish grin grin). It appears your engine needs valve job.

Ikenna.
Re: Help! My 07 Accord V6 Guzzles Fuel Like A Drunk by biggiyke(m): 8:12am On Apr 26, 2011
thanks guys for your response. im quite enlightened. i guess i just have to take it to Honda Place. last time i was there to change gear oil, they almost bit my head off!!!
any ideas on how much it'll cost to get this fixed, cos honestly im thinking of disposing the ride and getting a 4-cylinder of same model
Re: Help! My 07 Accord V6 Guzzles Fuel Like A Drunk by Ikenna351(m): 8:32am On Apr 26, 2011
What!!? A 4 what!!? Hmm! You are not serious.

What makes you think that the cause of the rich economy is because its V6? Even I4 engine would as well drink fuel like hell, if its having fuel economy issues

The more the cylinders, the less stress on the engine, especially when on a long jourrney. Its a long distance vehicle, not a city car!

Fix what you have. Even the I4 has its own headaches too.

Ikenna.
Re: Help! My 07 Accord V6 Guzzles Fuel Like A Drunk by Operation(m): 12:52pm On Apr 26, 2011
anyway man, if u do go to the dealership try and print out the trouble shooting steps above and had it to the one of the guys doing the diagnostics, he should know whats hes doing and even better have the service manual, It seems that apart from a lot of checking and rechecking and scanning the part thats mainly faulty or could be faulty would be the rocker arm oil control solenoid. Which i gather can get damaged with too much or too little oil, so this should be the very first thing you check. As long as the oil is between the min and max there shouldnt be a problem.

If you can solve the problem with the trouble shooting method above, then I dont think it will be too expensive. You will pay for the scanning, and the solenoid if its replaced and a small amount of labour,

as Ikenna said "A 4 WHAT!?!!?" dont go back to an I4 ---thats insanity! smiley
Re: Help! My 07 Accord V6 Guzzles Fuel Like A Drunk by sultaan(m): 1:24pm On Apr 26, 2011
Actually this is not the first time this fault is being posted on this site, its been a PITA searching for some threads onces in a while.

Here is lin to first problem your fix might be same since an expert who did your oil change could have tug on it.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-417399.0.html

Look for this connection near oil filler cap either one of the wires is loose or, you may have to change that sensor.

Start with oil level check first, you said you used mobile 1, but are you using the right weight 5w20.

If you believe they actually changed your gear oil?!(ATF) I wil be suprised they have ATF-Z1.

Re: Help! My 07 Accord V6 Guzzles Fuel Like A Drunk by biggiyke(m): 2:35pm On Apr 26, 2011
thanks guys for your efforts. here is a picture of my engine, i need to know where this rocker arm is, cos i cant exactly match the engine picture that sultaan posted to mine.
as per the v6 vs i4 engines, i rest my case until i get this fixed. mind u, i had a corolla 05 (bank type) before i bought this. and at 100,000km, it still moved ok. this accord v6 was just a trial after hearin a lot about the performance of v6 engine. and now this . . . . . . . .

Re: Help! My 07 Accord V6 Guzzles Fuel Like A Drunk by sultaan(m): 4:09pm On Apr 26, 2011
Look for it ( a loose connector) in the spots circle, should be on passenger side on engine, you should see a green plastic on the part just .

Its really not a bad/uncommon fault, imagine the car uses 5w-20, and mech added 20w-50, its too heavy at operating temp, so you might not have enough oil pressure to actuate up your vtech arm then you get a fault.

If you changed oil recently, what weight did you use and did you check the level?

Loo at all connections on the engine and mae sure they are all good, clear codes if it comes bac change
Re: Help! My 07 Accord V6 Guzzles Fuel Like A Drunk by biggiyke(m): 10:04pm On Apr 26, 2011
thanks sultan. iv not rily paid attention to the oil used by my mechanic for servicing until my last service. i personally bought Mobil1 which i think is 0w-20. so if its oil pressure and iv had it corrected, whats d next step?
Re: Help! My 07 Accord V6 Guzzles Fuel Like A Drunk by endmoll(m): 11:02pm On Apr 26, 2011
biggiyke:

thanks sultan. iv not rily paid attention to the oil used by my mechanic for servicing until my last service. i personally bought Mobil1 which i think is 0w-20. so if its oil pressure and iv had it corrected, whats d next step?
Sorry bro for what you are going through with your car. I don't know why Honda products appear to be problematic when they arrive in Nigeria.
I have had issues with Honda on so many occasions,if not mine it will be my friend or a relative of mine. The only advice i will give you is to go to this Honda market in Constain,there is a guy there who specializes in Honda and he does not touch any thing in your car without diagnosing the fault,he will diagnose your car and tell you to go buy the parts your self and if you don't get the best he will tell you to take it back.
If you have the time you can go check him out and you will never regret doing so,he has my recommendation any day any time.
He is very hardworking and most time that i have been there he has about 50 cars waiting to be attended to and every body always leave with a smiling face.
Hope my contribution helps. Kpele!
Re: Help! My 07 Accord V6 Guzzles Fuel Like A Drunk by biggiyke(m): 7:01am On Apr 27, 2011
endmoll:

Sorry bro for what you are going through with your car. I don't know why Honda products appear to be problematic when they arrive in Nigeria.
I have had issues with Honda on so many occasions,if not mine it will be my friend or a relative of mine. The only advice i will give you is to go to this Honda market in Constain,there is a guy there who specializes in Honda and he does not touch any thing in your car without diagnosing the fault,he will diagnose your car and tell you to go buy the parts your self and if you don't get the best he will tell you to take it back.
If you have the time you can go check him out and you will never regret doing so,he has my recommendation any day any time.
He is very hardworking and most time that i have been there he has about 50 cars waiting to be attended to and every body always leave with a smiling face.
Hope my contribution helps. Kpele!

thanks endmoll. so how do i get in touch with this Honda guy? any contact details?

(1) (Reply)

The Neatest Ever 01 Camry Available For Sale / 2004 Toyota Avensis ( Automatic ) / Registered Volkswagen Golf 3 1994 @ N530,000.00 Call 08023416552, 08139040039

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.