Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,787 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:35 PM

Software Engineer Who Work Remotely For Intl Corps, Would You Like To Relocate? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Software Engineer Who Work Remotely For Intl Corps, Would You Like To Relocate? (709 Views)

Should I Relocate Or Work Remotely As A Developer? / Are You A Programmer Or App Developer Who Wish To Work Remotely For A US Company / LIfe Of A Software Engineer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Software Engineer Who Work Remotely For Intl Corps, Would You Like To Relocate? by Landnaira5: 10:27pm On May 07, 2021
Say you had the opportunity to move to a stable first world European country with a decent cost of living and low taxes. In the Shenzhen region? Would you travel?

Why or why not?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Software Engineer Who Work Remotely For Intl Corps, Would You Like To Relocate? by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:34pm On May 07, 2021
Honestly if I was earning 10k USD a month remotely in Nigeria and I get a relocation offer for 5k USD a month to a country in Europe, North America, south America or developed countries in Asia I won't think twice before moving. Not everything in life is about money. Sometimes you have to sacrifice for your future generations.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Software Engineer Who Work Remotely For Intl Corps, Would You Like To Relocate? by Landnaira5: 11:02pm On May 07, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
Honestly if I was earning 10k USD a month remotely in Nigeria and I get a relocation offer for 5k USD a month to a country in Europe, North America, south America or developed countries in Asia I won't think twice before moving. Not everything in life is about money. Sometimes you have to sacrifice for your future generations.

Good call. But the truth is there's a lot of countries in Europe where all you need is 1,200 euro salary from a job to move, and you don't need to give up you 10k a month package for a lower offer. You get a visa with your remote job, the pandemic has opened up many opportunities for people.

I was speaking to someone I know who works remotely, she said she'll rather stay in Nigeria. So I'm just trying to see if that is the common reasoning amongst people.
Re: Software Engineer Who Work Remotely For Intl Corps, Would You Like To Relocate? by tosinhtml: 11:02pm On May 07, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

For me it's not even about future generations but job security, once you get fired on your remote job. It's difficult to get another one. Sometimes it might take you upto 5 months even with years of experience.

If you relocate to the UK for example, as an average engineer. You will get at least 3 recruiter messages every month on LinkedIn.

100% job security guaranteed.

1 Like

Re: Software Engineer Who Work Remotely For Intl Corps, Would You Like To Relocate? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:03pm On May 07, 2021
Landnaira5:

Good call. But the truth is there's a lot of countries in Europe where all you need is 1,200 euro salary from a job to move. I was speaking to someone I know who works remotely, she said she'll rather stay in Nigeria. So I'm just trying to see if that is the common reasoning amongst people.
Really 1200 euros. Omho that's low. I don't think anyone pays that not even in poor European nations to Devs. Salaries in Poland that's amongst the poorest in Europe are like 15000 polish zloty which comes down to 3500 euros a month. Yeah some people will stay but seeing the trajectory of Nigeria it will be a foolish thing to do.
Re: Software Engineer Who Work Remotely For Intl Corps, Would You Like To Relocate? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:05pm On May 07, 2021
tosinhtml:

For me it's not even about future generations but job security, once you get fired on your remote job. It's difficult to get another one. Sometimes it might take you upto 5 months even with years of experience.

If you relocate to the UK for example, as an average engineer. You will get at least 3 recruiter messages every month on LinkedIn.

This is also something I was telling a colleague. A lot of young Devs working remote are only thinking of the now. What happens 5 years from now. What happens in your 30s will you still be chasing remote jobs. It's mentally exhausting honestly. It's better to move to a better place and build a real career than this remote jobs honestly.

2 Likes

Re: Software Engineer Who Work Remotely For Intl Corps, Would You Like To Relocate? by Landnaira5: 11:06pm On May 07, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Really 1200 euros. Omho that's low. I don't think anyone pays that not even in poor European nations to Devs. Salaries in Poland that's amongst the poorest in Europe are like 15000 polish zloty which comes down to 3500 euros a month. Yeah some people will stay but seeing the trajectory of Nigeria it will be a foolish thing to do.

Absolutely, most people earn much more than that. But the minimum income to qualify for the visa is about 1000 euros. The actual figure is lower than 1k but 1000 to be safe. I was shocked when she said she'll stay in Nigeria.
Re: Software Engineer Who Work Remotely For Intl Corps, Would You Like To Relocate? by Landnaira5: 11:09pm On May 07, 2021
tosinhtml:

\

Not forgetting the fact that when you are in Europe you get access to more remote opportunities compared to Nigeria. Also, companies in Europe or UK are more likely to want to file from you vs when you are in Nigeria.

I used to live in the EU, and when I applied to 10 jobs I'd get at least 6 interviews. since moving to Nigeria, if I get 2 it'll be a miracle. Same qualifications btw.
Re: Software Engineer Who Work Remotely For Intl Corps, Would You Like To Relocate? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:14pm On May 07, 2021
Landnaira5:
\

Not forgetting the fact that when you are in Europe you get access to more remote opportunities compared to Nigeria. Also, companies in Europe or UK are more likely to want to file from you vs when you are in Nigeria.

I used to live in the EU, and when I applied to 10 jobs I'd get at least 6 interviews. since moving to Nigeria, if I get 2 it'll be a miracle. Same qualifications btw.
It's not just Europe even south Americans get. I think it's because one the infrastructure in this countries good light and super fast internet and then strong passport if there's ever a need for an engineer to be on-site at the company. These guys just need a flight ticket but you a Nigerian will need a visa which there's a 99 percent probability of not getting and then the bad internet and light.

(1) (Reply)

Please Help I Need A Tech Internship !!!!!!! / You Can Now Register A Company In The USA For Free / I Give Up, Am Not Doing Again?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.