Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,904 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:45 AM

Is It A Sin If A Christian Has A Tattoo On His/her Body? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It A Sin If A Christian Has A Tattoo On His/her Body? (24869 Views)

Only One Christian Has Played For Egypt National Football Team / Is It A Sin If Married Couple Have Different Sex Style / Born Again Lady Removes Her Tattoo With Hot Iron (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It A Sin If A Christian Has A Tattoo On His/her Body? by Nobody: 10:43am On May 09, 2021
Tufifteen:
Lev. 19: 26 You shall not eat anything with its blood. You shall not practice augury or witchcraft.
19:27 You shall not round off the hair on your temples or mar the edges of your beard.
19:28 You shall not make any gashes in your flesh for the dead or scribe any marks upon you: I am the Lord.

Some of the Levitical laws do not make a lot of sense to people today. Remember, the Hebrews were a pretty barbaric people, barely bronze-age. They had trouble dealing with iron, even though many of the peoples around them could handle the advanced material!

But the Israelites were in danger of being assimilated into the nations around them. So many of their laws were for no other reason than to produce a certain kind of eccentricity. It was, in effect, “the other guys do this, so we won’t” kind of reactionary thinking.

Mind you, the prohibition against witchcraft and fortune telling was very consistent with the Hebrew faith of One God. Not eating blood was consistent with that position as well, since God demanded blood as a sacrifice to him, though that did deprive the people of a nutritional source that other peoples took advantage of.

But the hair? No trimming the beard or cutting the hair from the temples? That was simply to distinguish them from other nations and make them stand out. A Hebrew going through the neighboring nations would be immediately recognized. This was a way to keep Hebrews from surreptitiously worshipping at pagan temples. Everyone would know! And if a Hebrew trimmed his beard or otherwise made himself less conspicuous among the nations, everyone at home would know he’d been up to no good.

Nothing like making people stand out as a way to exercise Control.

And again, in verse 28. No marking. No cutting as a remembrance of the dead. To the Hebrews, there was no afterlife. There was this life, God, and in the future there would be their descendants and God. And they would always be a people who stood out.

That is the way many fundamentalist Christians act in today’s world. The church teaches them to make themselves peculiar, weird, and very recognizable. This helps control their behavior and limits their social contacts.

This is an example of synecdoche. Synecdoche is a figure of speech wherein a key feature is used metaphorically to represent the whole. The passage mentions haircut, but it is really talking about paganism.

In context the passage is saying not to be involved in pagan practices of witchcraft. Apparently the Canaanites would shave around the ears and upper beard as part of some sort of cultic ritual. "Corners of the beard" seems to indicate shaving it partially into a goatee shape. Goatee was popular with Egyptians.

Some people have interpreted this to mean don’t shave those areas because it will

Among many ancient peoples of the East, including the Israelites, a beard was cherished as an evidence of manly dignity. God’s law to Israel prohibited the cutting off of the “sidelocks,” the hair between the ear and the eye, and the extremity of the beard. (Le 19:27; 21:5) This was doubtless because among some pagans it was a religious practice.

It was customary for men to wear beards, even before the Law covenant was made. While the Hebrews did not make monuments with figures of themselves, many monuments and inscriptions have been found in Egypt, Mesopotamia, and other Middle Eastern lands,

Leviticus 19:27 KJV, "Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard". What is the meaning of it?
In Leviticus 19:28, its say you must not have markings. The verse just before that one says you must not shave your beard. So, why do Christina agree with Leviticus 19:28, while at the same time disagreeing with Leviticus 19:27?
It says in Leviticus 19:19 - "Keep my decree: Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material". Why do Christians not obey this?

Leviticus 19:27

27 “‘Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard.

No Mohican hairstyle(today Nigeria called gallace) and beard; why?

For God to have told the Children of Israel to abstain from this practice it will be for good reason.

Perhaps all their neighbors dressed that way. He wanted them to be different
Maybe it was part of some worship o
Leviticus 19 verse 27 (below) in Aramaic Old Testament (known as Aramaic Peshitta Tanakh) is different compared to other Old Testament versions.

Leviticus 19 verse 27 (Aramaic OT) - “You shall not let the hair of your head grow great and you shall not mar the corner(s) [or edge(s) or side(s)] of your beard [or chin].”

The meaning of Aramaic word ”Pta” (also pronounced Phta) include edge, corner, side.

Aramaic word “Dqna” can mean “the beard” or “the chin.”

Levitical law was a lot of things. 592 points if I recall right.
"Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard."

Specifically this is instruction about how to groom you hair, for men it would seem.
The law not only kept the Jewish people in line, but also set them apart as a society and it was a society you DID NOT have to be a part of. Also you could convert into.

It was a voluntary membership society for all but the youngest of peoples in it. It was their law for their time for their people. It was a really long testament as to the perfection G

This passage varies somewhat between versions … KJV reads:

Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard.

It is generally held to mean that you have to keep your sideburns and beard. The idea seems to have been to distinguish Jews from local gentiles… which would be consistent with the tone of other dress and grooming rules in Leviticus.

My fear with today christains is that most of them don't know the God they serve by having a personal relationship with him. Their knowledge of him is either what they have heard people say (pastors and believers alike) but not what they experience themselves. If you have experience God you would know the exact reason he gave those instructions and if they are valid and applicable in our society than making your conclusions based on someone's else biased perception to the verse.

It is not the place of man to decide what is sin by himself in anyway but to look inwardly and know if what he is doing is pleasing to God James 4:17 (Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin)

When it comes to religious grey area since no one has met God in person it only requires personal assurance by the holy Spirit himself just as everyone salvation is personal.

Lastly to such question I can't give my answer because it becomes a doctrine and might be misleading to someone else faith in Christ

I can boldly say I know my stand on the subject matter please as believers I employ you to pray to the holy spirit to reveal the reason behind the instructions I just cited the previous verse because modern day christains always carry a clean shave and criticize the marking of the body without knowing that they are actually breaking the first instructions by not leaving their beard unshaved.

We all need the Holy Spirit more than ever to reveal the true reason for such instructions without disregarding whether it was the old testament or new testament because Christ came to make all things complete and later sent the holy Spirit to teach us all things and mysteries way deeper than this
Re: Is It A Sin If A Christian Has A Tattoo On His/her Body? by Nobody: 10:44am On May 09, 2021
Happy Sunday People.

So, i have a suggestion:
I think the word "Christian" should be replaced with the word CHRIST-LIKE.

So to rephrase the question:

Is it CHRIST-LIKE to have a Tattoo on
your body?
Re: Is It A Sin If A Christian Has A Tattoo On His/her Body? by Dachris72(m): 10:53am On May 09, 2021
Yes.... it's wrong following the doctrine of a Christian to put or have tattoos on his/her body...the Bible makes us to understand that our body is the temple of the Lord....so to no reason or whatsoever should you have a tattoo on your body.
Re: Is It A Sin If A Christian Has A Tattoo On His/her Body? by AdakaBoro8(m): 11:19am On May 09, 2021
my sister u will make heaven bcux Jesus love u and accounted for only ur heart.. dont mind nigerian pastors, they are like pharisees and teachers of the laws..
Re: Is It A Sin If A Christian Has A Tattoo On His/her Body? by ifyakanu(m): 11:24am On May 09, 2021
DanceVille:

2. I'm a believer of Christ, strong and faithful to him. But I wish to have an image of my dad/ mum or son/daughter because of the much love I have for him/her, does that still changes me to been an unbeliever in christ

Luke 14:26, " If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his [own] father and mother [in the sense of indifference to or relative disregard for them in comparison with his attitude towards God] and [likewise] his wife and children and brothers and sisters [yes] and even his own life also he cannot be my disciple".

It will not stop you from being a Christian but with the word of Jesus are you a good disciple. Are you that willing to overlook the love for all those you would want to tattoo and leave your body as a living sacrifice unto God (Roman 12:1)
Re: Is It A Sin If A Christian Has A Tattoo On His/her Body? by georgecalix07(m): 11:30am On May 09, 2021
According to the Bible

It is a sin
Re: Is It A Sin If A Christian Has A Tattoo On His/her Body? by solonubinho(m): 11:33am On May 09, 2021
So if a person had a tattoo before becoming born again, does it mean he carries a sin in perpetuity? You people should quit asking these foolish Sunday questions.
Re: Is It A Sin If A Christian Has A Tattoo On His/her Body? by Emperor88(m): 11:34am On May 09, 2021
Uyi168:

Religion demonizes almost everything.

Of all the issues in the world, it's tattoos you Christians and your God wants to hold people accountable for..

Too much sense will not kill you....The so religious ones are killing, telling lies, committing adultery/fornication, greedy/corrupt and people will leave all that and be debating on tattoos and alcohol...pls you guys should receive sense for once na.

2 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin If A Christian Has A Tattoo On His/her Body? by Johel(m): 11:35am On May 09, 2021
DanceVille:
Happy Sunday Folks! Blessed one in Jesus name Brethren.

This keeps bulging my mind because have seen some believers that have tattoos on their body and they are strong believers. They have the tattoo when they are unbelievers but after they converted to been a believer, the tattoo still remains because it's a permanent one.

Assuming I have the tattoo of my mother or father or my son/daughter on my body and a strong believer of Christ, does that makes me an unbeliever or does that mean that I need to get the tattoo erased before I can make it to heaven.

I remembered when we were been preached to by pastor then that God says we shouldn't have any form of tattoo on our body, christ sees it as sin.

But the issue now is, let's look at this two different scenarios;

1. I have a tattoo when I was an unbeliever, but converted to a believer and there's no way I can erased the tattoo, does that still makes me an unbeliever?

2. I'm a believer of Christ, strong and faithful to him. But I wish to have an image of my dad/ mum or son/daughter because of the much love I have for him/her, does that still changes me to been an unbeliever in christ?

Brethrens, please let's contribute to this issues and share your opinions with reference to the word of God.

Stay happy ❤️

You won't take your flesh to the afterlife,God judges based on deeds of a man to fellow mankind and what the heart of a man carries,the flesh is sinful and belongs to the earth,Christ paid the ultimate price,it's only in Nigeria hypocrites judge those with tattoos,A soul can't have tattoos,God is interested in the soul only,tattoo is Art and not necessarily diabolic...I have tattoos and I live a better life than many without,the boko harams,bandits,kidnappers,ritualists etc,many of them don't have tattoos,if it's by tattoo,then I don't think 20% will make heaven....God is not man!!

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin If A Christian Has A Tattoo On His/her Body? by Yankee101: 11:46am On May 09, 2021
Tattoos are usually associated with body hate. You dislike something about your body and want to get tattoos to cover it up, or get a butt lift or breast implant.

So what's the original motive behind a tattoo? And the symbols thebput on you, you have little knowledge of their origins.

Leviticus 19:28—"Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you"—
Re: Is It A Sin If A Christian Has A Tattoo On His/her Body? by lastchild: 11:49am On May 09, 2021
alBHAGDADI:

If you had a tattoo before you became a believer, it won't be counted as sin once you become a believer. This is because your sins have been washed away by the Blood of Jesus. Once you get your perfect body on the day of resurrection, the tattoo you currently have won't be there anymore.

If the case is that you are a believer and you want to get a tattoo, it means you want to knowingly commit sin despite knowing God's commandment against such. If you go ahead to draw the tattoo on your body, God may punish you for it. But can that sin stop you from going to Heaven? No. Sin can't prevent you from making heaven if you believe that Jesus salvation is permanent and can't be lost. That doesn't mean you should abuse it, even though if you do you still won't lose heaven. For example, if you know your mother will always love you, should that make you want to always treat her like trash? If you know God will always love you, should that make you treat his commandments like trash?
great message

there's this fellowship I started attending recently known as "Jesus deciples fellowship" the way they emphises on how sin will take take man to hell made me think everyone is going to hell

they believe going to heaven can only be achieved by being total sinless
Re: Is It A Sin If A Christian Has A Tattoo On His/her Body? by Image123(m): 11:49am On May 09, 2021
DanceVille:
Happy Sunday Folks! Blessed one in Jesus name Brethren.

This keeps bulging my mind because have seen some believers that have tattoos on their body and they are strong believers. They have the tattoo when they are unbelievers but after they converted to been a believer, the tattoo still remains because it's a permanent one.

Assuming I have the tattoo of my mother or father or my son/daughter on my body and a strong believer of Christ, does that makes me an unbeliever or does that mean that I need to get the tattoo erased before I can make it to heaven.

I remembered when we were been preached to by pastor then that God says we shouldn't have any form of tattoo on our body, christ sees it as sin.

But the issue now is, let's look at this two different scenarios;

1. I have a tattoo when I was an unbeliever, but converted to a believer and there's no way I can erased the tattoo, does that still makes me an unbeliever?

2. I'm a believer of Christ, strong and faithful to him. But I wish to have an image of my dad/ mum or son/daughter because of the much love I have for him/her, does that still changes me to been an unbeliever in christ?

Brethrens, please let's contribute to this issues and share your opinions with reference to the word of God.

Stay happy ❤️

Can you put their image on government property or your boss/company to show that you love them? Are you aware at all that your body is not for you?
Re: Is It A Sin If A Christian Has A Tattoo On His/her Body? by Ilerioluwa02: 11:57am On May 09, 2021
Wallade:

What makes tattoo evil?

Being a Christian means doing like Christ... having a Christ-like. I dnt see where Jesus did tattoo in the Bible.
Re: Is It A Sin If A Christian Has A Tattoo On His/her Body? by SweetDipBenny(m): 11:57am On May 09, 2021
alBHAGDADI:

If you had a tattoo before you became a believer, it won't be counted as sin once you become a believer. This is because your sins have been washed away by the Blood of Jesus. Once you get your perfect body on the day of resurrection, the tattoo you currently have won't be there anymore.

If the case is that you are a believer and you want to get a tattoo, it means you want to knowingly commit sin despite knowing God's commandment against such. If you go ahead to draw the tattoo on your body, God may punish you for it. But can that sin stop you from going to Heaven? No. Sin can't prevent you from making heaven if you believe that Jesus salvation is permanent and can't be lost. That doesn't mean you should abuse it, even though if you do you still won't lose heaven. For example, if you know your mother will always love you, should that make you want to always treat her like trash? If you know God will always love you, should that make you treat his commandments like trash?
So tribal mark is a sin too abi
Re: Is It A Sin If A Christian Has A Tattoo On His/her Body? by Wallade(m): 12:00pm On May 09, 2021
Ilerioluwa02:

Being a Christian means doing like Christ... having a Christ-like. I dnt see where Jesus did tattoo in the Bible.

None of us is Jesus, you are not Jesus. There is nothing wrong with wearing a tattoo. Does Jesus wear body spray, watches, perfumes, hair creams, wigs, artificial eye lashes, nails etc.

So why bring Jesus into Tattoo matter

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin If A Christian Has A Tattoo On His/her Body? by MoIbrahim: 12:03pm On May 09, 2021
In a secular state, nothing is a sin cool
Re: Is It A Sin If A Christian Has A Tattoo On His/her Body? by mrmachine: 12:11pm On May 09, 2021
Point of correction, salvation is not permanent in a sense that it's there as long as Christian or believer continues following Christ and living holy life. If he decides to go back to his old ways, if he dies he would go to hell

alBHAGDADI:

Re: Is It A Sin If A Christian Has A Tattoo On His/her Body? by ZombieBurster: 12:31pm On May 09, 2021
Wallade:

None of us is Jesus, you are not Jesus. There is nothing wrong with wearing a tattoo. Does Jesus wear body spray, watches, perfumes, hair creams, wigs, artificial eye lashes, nails etc.

So why bring Jesus into Tattoo matter
grin grin
This your reply sweet my Belle

Naija even carry Christianity pass the people wey bring am come

Many people with tattoo sef get pure heart pass all these holier than thou people wey dey castigate Dem sef
Re: Is It A Sin If A Christian Has A Tattoo On His/her Body? by olmoRoc: 12:31pm On May 09, 2021
No, it isn't.
Re: Is It A Sin If A Christian Has A Tattoo On His/her Body? by Josywhyte: 12:42pm On May 09, 2021
Yes it is
Re: Is It A Sin If A Christian Has A Tattoo On His/her Body? by Pele10: 12:47pm On May 09, 2021
You have said it all
Re: Is It A Sin If A Christian Has A Tattoo On His/her Body? by TruthinAction: 12:50pm On May 09, 2021
The tattoo is not the issue but what it represents. If you must tattoo, let the inscription glorify God. If for instance, you tattoo, only Jesus saves or Jesus is Lord, it's OK. The key Scripture that should guide us in all that we do is 1st Corinthians 10:31 and it reads,

"Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God."
Re: Is It A Sin If A Christian Has A Tattoo On His/her Body? by jclassiq(m): 12:50pm On May 09, 2021
It all comes down to what is your intent. Does it edify? Or you feel bad about your body and you believe a tattoo will make you better? So essentially you are blaming God for your skin.

Check your intent. If your intent is pure, then there is nothing evil about it.
Everything done not of faith is sin, ROM. 14:23.
Re: Is It A Sin If A Christian Has A Tattoo On His/her Body? by pek(m): 12:55pm On May 09, 2021
Op, reading your post, I strongly believe you are looking for validation of your action and not necessarily opinion on the issue. Number 2 says it all. Sin is sin irrespective of who did it and for what reason.
BTW danceville, it is brethren and not brethens.
Re: Is It A Sin If A Christian Has A Tattoo On His/her Body? by Greystone: 1:06pm On May 09, 2021
RiyadhGoddess:
I have tattoos on my body though I had them before saying yes to Jesus.
There's something about tattoos, you get one and then you just want more and more till there's no space in the body to draw. One is never satisfied with just one. That spirit is insatiable.
I struggled with it, as in I really wanted more even after saying yes to Jesus not until I was studying my bible one hot afternoon and then the holy spirit showed me the part of the bible that spoke against tattoos. Immediately, the love or passion I have for tattoos died. Till date, no more cravings...

When I preach to young boys and girls in motels, bars and all, they look at my tattoos and wonder why someone with tattoos is preaching and I say oh well, it's just to tell you that I have lived in the world you are living now and I can show you the results., you have theories, I have results... A man with theory doesn't argue with a man with results.

You have tattoos?
Interesting.

If I wer born in the US, I'm sure by now half my body would have been covered with ink. I passed through a phase many years ago that I had very strong urges to get tattooed. Thank God that has long passed.

And thank God for his Son Jesus Christ.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin If A Christian Has A Tattoo On His/her Body? by stanliwise(m): 1:06pm On May 09, 2021
alBHAGDADI:

Reference a part of the Bible that speak how tattoo is a sin.
You may want to reference Leviticus but let me wait
Re: Is It A Sin If A Christian Has A Tattoo On His/her Body? by Happy2020: 1:15pm On May 09, 2021
Nigerians are so closed minded and brain washed. You need to catch up to the rest of the world where tattoos are called BODY ART

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin If A Christian Has A Tattoo On His/her Body? by letitrainnow(m): 1:18pm On May 09, 2021
some believers that have tattoos on their body and they are strong believers. They have the tattoo when they are unbelievers but after they converted to been a believer, the tattoo still remains because it's a permanent one.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It A Sin If A Christian Has A Tattoo On His/her Body? by perry247: 1:23pm On May 09, 2021
alBHAGDADI:

Do you mean that neymar,lewis Hamilton, lebron james Are all sinners?
Re: Is It A Sin If A Christian Has A Tattoo On His/her Body? by Jay5mie: 1:32pm On May 09, 2021
faceland:
YES!

The old testament forbids it (as a chosen people you are not to mark your body)...

The new testament said your body is the temple of God...

A real Christian (which there are very few like 0.5% of those who claims to), wouldn't get a tattoo. Why? Even take tattoo of Jesus or Bible Verse is disobedience.

Obedience is better than sacrifice and God said rebellion is equal to WITCHCRAFT

Every body with birthmark and surgery stitches dun sin b that
Re: Is It A Sin If A Christian Has A Tattoo On His/her Body? by Jay5mie: 1:34pm On May 09, 2021
4dStreet:
Yeah,
people with vsible tattoo are seen unprofessional in their work place and may even limit one's attribute to a potential career unless he or she is in the entertainment sector.
Meanwhile
Leviticus 19:28—"Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you"—so as to prohibit tattoos,

Yoruba people with birthmarks nko?

Surgery stitches nko?

Una no get sense for this country

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Generational Curses Still Affect Many Christians / 5 Facts About Forgiveness / The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.