Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,253 members, 7,807,859 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:53 PM

PLEASE HELP: Conversion From Automatic To Manual Transmission. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / PLEASE HELP: Conversion From Automatic To Manual Transmission. (1357 Views)

Want To Convert From Automatic To Manual / Changing AC Compressor From Automatic To Manual / Vw Golf 3 Conversion From Carburetor To Mono-point Injection (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

PLEASE HELP: Conversion From Automatic To Manual Transmission. by Skie(m): 6:05pm On May 09, 2021
Car Gurus & Experts in the house, is it advisable to convert from Automatic Transmission to Manual Transmission?

The vehicle is a Toyota Sienna 2006 (FWD). It's Nigerian used and It will be used for commercial driving.

Has anyone on this forum ever converted from Automatic Transmission to Manual Transmission on Toyota Sienna (2004 - 06)? Please kindly share your experiences.
Re: PLEASE HELP: Conversion From Automatic To Manual Transmission. by Yusufisraelj(m): 6:24pm On May 09, 2021
Meet a good mechanic pls, bkos these changes comes with great disadvantages if done wrong. Equally what's wrong with your auto, it should still serve in terms of fuel consumption.

Or it's there a special reason for this change?
Re: PLEASE HELP: Conversion From Automatic To Manual Transmission. by Skie(m): 6:35pm On May 09, 2021
[color=#006600][/color]
Yusufisraelj:
Meet a good mechanic pls, bkos these changes comes with great disadvantages if done wrong. Equally what's wrong with your auto, it should still serve in terms of fuel consumption.

Or it's there a special reason for this change?

Thanks for your contribution. I'm told that it's better to use manual transmission for commercial driving.
The Auto transmission is very faulty.
Re: PLEASE HELP: Conversion From Automatic To Manual Transmission. by Yusufisraelj(m): 6:46pm On May 09, 2021
Skie:
[color=#006600][/color]

Thanks for your contribution. I'm told that it's better to use manual transmission for commercial driving.
The Auto transmission is very faulty.

That's not true.

People who would tell you this are those that overload and overuse vehicles. I know someone who uses auto and makes 15K a day in Abuja.

If you must do this business, determine what market segment you want to attend to and how you want to serve them, then proceed on how you plan to use the vehicle to achieve that, if you will overload and overuse the vehicle to the market you want to serve, then manual is the best way to go. But like I said, make sure it's done well.
Re: PLEASE HELP: Conversion From Automatic To Manual Transmission. by DMechy: 7:00pm On May 09, 2021
Skie:
Car Gurus & Experts in the house, is it advisable to convert from Automatic Transmission to Manual Transmission?

The vehicle is a Toyota Sienna 2006 (FWD). It's Nigerian used and It will be used for commercial driving.

Has anyone on this forum ever converted from Automatic Transmission to Manual Transmission on Toyota Sienna (2004 - 06)? Please kindly share your experiences.

Is it advisable?
No
Is It Possible?
Yes

Why i wouldn't advice it, is the propensity of not doing it right.

Putting a manual transmission is no biggy, as long as it fits. But you are going to loose a lot functionality if not done right.

You should say goodbye to the ABS as the CAN com that feeds the ABS module from the transmission will be missing, and for a transport vehicle where safety should be core, that's not cool.

You will spend more if done right, than when you replace with auto

You said the Sienna is Nigerian used, i also want to assume the current transmission is bad, and that's why you are considering putting a manual tranny.

Replace with the Auto, if well maintained, you have nothing to fear.
Re: PLEASE HELP: Conversion From Automatic To Manual Transmission. by Skie(m): 7:46pm On May 11, 2021
[/color][color=#006600]
DMechy:

Is it advisable?
No
Is It Possible?
Yes

Why i wouldn't advice it, is the propensity of not doing it right.

Putting a manual transmission is no biggy, as long as it fits. But you are going to loose a lot functionality if not done right.

You should say goodbye to the ABS as the CAN com that feeds the ABS module from the transmission will be missing, and for a transport vehicle where safety should be core, that's not cool.

You will spend more if done right, than when you replace with auto

You said the Sienna is Nigerian used, i also want to assume the current transmission is bad, and that's why you are considering putting a manual tranny.

Replace with the Auto, if well maintained, you have nothing to fear.

Thanks for taking time to contribute.

Actually, I have 2 options as it were:

1) Buy a Tokumbo auto tranny, transport it down to Uyo and have it fixed. That will cost more than 400k. Being Tokumbo, it might come with issues especially since I know next to nothing about the quality of trannys, and I won't be the one buying it.

2) Have it converted to manual. The guy who wants to handle the conversion wants to charge 300k. Problem is, I don't know anyone who has done it successfully on a Toyota Sienna. (I know of one done successfully on a BMW).

So that's the dilemma facing me.

(1) (Reply)

Cost Of Tokunbo And New Double Cell Radiator For Mazda 626 1999 Model / Anyone With Price Of Nissan Pathfinder Jeep And Its Durability? / Conversion Of Manual Window To The Automatic One For 2003 Corolla

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.