Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,905 members, 7,802,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:12 AM

My Essay Seeks To Manifest How Inalienable Human Rights Are Disrespected - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / My Essay Seeks To Manifest How Inalienable Human Rights Are Disrespected (519 Views)

Write My Essay Online Service / My Essay Tries To Expose The Evil Perpetrated Against The Girl Child / Binyavanga Wainaina Is Dead! HIV Positive Gay Rights Activist And Author Dies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Essay Seeks To Manifest How Inalienable Human Rights Are Disrespected by synw: 3:35am On May 10, 2021
MY ESSAY SEEKS TO MANIFEST HOW INALIENABLE HUMAN RIGHTS ARE DISRESPECTED IN AFRICA - TUNDE OSHO

Tunde Osho’s works have featured in various magazines and anthologies such as Praxis, Conscio, Erogospel, The Quills etc. His essay titled “Human Rights Abuse and Violations in Africa: Gross Domestic Violence Against Women” came third in the just concluded African Human Rights Essay Competition. African Human Rights Essay Competition is an initiative of the International Human Rights Art Festival (IHRAF), USA aimed at promoting human rights values in Africa and to positively influence the betterment of the human rights situation in the continent. In this inclusive interview with Wole Adedoyin, he shares with him some facts surrounding his writing career and his winning essay.
WA: WHAT HAS YOUR EARLY WRITING CAREER JOURNEY BEEN LIKE?

OT: My early writing career journey has been quite taxing and interesting at the same time. The growth process demands so much of me, while it gives me the joy embedded in it.

WA: HOW DID YOU HEAR ABOUT THE AFRICAN HUMAN RIGHTS ESSAY COMPETITION?

OT: I heard about the competition through a Facebook post made by Mr. Wole Adedoyin on his wall.

WA: WHAT MOTIVATED YOU TO TAKE PART IN THE CONTEST?

OT: The topic of the contest motivated me. I love to talk about our rights as humans, the flagrant violations and how we have been betrayed in this corner of the world by the systems that should protect and keep us from tyrannies.

WA: CAN YOU PROVIDE A BRIEF OVERVIEW OF YOUR WINNING ESSAY?

OT: My Essay seeks to manifest how inalienable human rights are disrespected here. How the women in Africa are daily subjected to beatings, rape, coerced marriage, and dehumanized in the name of traditions. There's no effect without cause; the colonial history, insignificant traditional principles, weak judiciary and justice system, timid press and other factors have to be discussed to hit a potent direction. It is unfair how people do not talk about that here. The violations have led so many to unripe grave, some have died even while they breathe. The damage is beyond repair. As you read, the news of rape and murder is soaking our national dailies in Nigeria.
My work contends that all the viable structures already on ground to safeguard and promote human/women's rights should be more effective and faithful to their callings. This is the time NGOs, civil societies, human rights activists and other gadflies should be most functional.

WA: WHAT DID YOU LEARN ABOUT THE SUBMISSION PROCESS FOR THE COMPETITION THAT MIGHT HELP OTHERS TO SUBMIT?

OT: The submission process taught me patience. First, I tried to meditate on the subject. I studied the contest prompts like a course. I was careful with words and reference materials deployed. I allowed the work at every stage to sit before continuation. I did much re- readings and re- writings. I was an early bird, so I took my time. More importantly, I had only my android phone with few internet subscriptions and consequently gained limited access to materials. But I didn't allow that stop me. I realized after submitting, that I was the only one that could stop me. Here I am.

WA: WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO WRITE THIS ESSAY?

OT: I have always sought a platform through which I can raise my own voice against the incessant human rights abuse and violations bedeviling my place. I was glad on seeing the title. I always want to talk about how I always sleep and rise into a space where a poor girl is raped and abandoned, denied education and forced into marriage, where a widow is treated like some criminal, where a wife is kissed with a plethora of fists by the man who swore to love and cherish her in front of the world. Many of these women die in silence. I carry these scars about as if they were mine. I want to talk them away.

WA: HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE THE THIRD PRIZE WINNER?

OT: It feels so great. Though I didn't expect I would win. It reminds me that consistent diligence has its reward. I feel so happy that my voice would be heard, that someone will feel the pain I feel and scream with me.

WA: HOW DID WRITING THE WINNING PIECE GO?

OT: Like I said earlier, I tried to have a good understanding of the theme. I read related materials online and offline even though I encountered much limitation. I walked down memory lanes; i chose inviting words and allowed my imaginations flow orderly. The whole process went slow, tiring and steady.

WA: TO WIN AN ESSAY CONTEST, WHAT DO YOU THINK WRITERS SHOULD PAY ATTENTION TO?

OT: Writers should focus on the theme. The prompts given by the organisers are a key to the door. Open and walk in. No unnecessary deviations. Read the instructions and digest them. Let them lead you to light.

WA: APART FROM ESSAY WRITING, WHAT OTHER THINGS DO YOU WRITE?

OT: Aside Essay writing, I write poems. I use poetry to bear witness for the happenings within my body.

WA: WHAT FOR YOU MAKES AN ESSAY CONTEST ENTRY OR SUBMISSION STANDS OUT?

OT: For me, an Essay stands out by the great understanding of the topic it shows, which informs in depth analysis, awesome organisation of thoughts, creative use of words and solutions oriented outing.

WA: WHAT SPARKED YOUR INTEREST IN HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN AND WHAT MOTIVATED YOU TO WRITE THIS ESSAY?

OT: My interest was sparked when a thirteen year old girl somewhere in Nigeria was raped by three overripe men. When the news told me a woman was beaten to death in Ghana. When I watched a little girl who should be in school hawk on the streets so that her parents could fund her brother's education. When I discovered most of the culprits do not go to jail nor pay damages. All these pains pushed me to write the Essay-- They yearned to be dragged into other people's body.

WA: HOW MANY UNPUBLISHED AND HALF- FINISHED BOOKS DO YOU HAVE?

OT: None yet.

WA: WHAT DOES LITERARY SUCCESS LOOK LIKE TO YOU?

OT: To write and see the impact. This is possible when it informs and educates, when it pricks and caresses and makes a shift.

WA: DO YOU GOOGLE YOURSELF?

OT: Yes I do.

WA: WHAT ONE THING WOULD YOU GIVE UP TO BECOME A BETTER WRITER?

OT: Pride

WA: WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE LITERARY JOURNALS?

OT: Rattle, Praxis, Conscio, Palette and Agbowo.

WA: WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CHILDHOOD BOOK?

OT: Creative Use of Time by Lekan Fashina. How it made my life!

WA: WHAT AUTHOR(S) DID YOU DISLIKE AT FIRST BUT GREW INTO?

OT: Prof. Wole Soyinka. I used to dislike poetry.

WA: WHAT OTHER AUTHORS ARE YOU FRIENDS WITH, AND HOW DO THEY HELP YOU TO BE A BETTER WRITER?

OT: Ololade Olatunji of 'The Nation's reality bites' , for his bold truths and intellect. Jonah Obajeun for his essays that read like poetry. Gilbert Alasa for his creative use of words. DM Aderibigbe writes about the themes of my interest. He once told me during our chats on Facebook messenger that " We all have beauty in us expressed differently".

Thank you!

(1) (Reply)

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Biography, Education, Age, Husband & Net Worth. / Nana Killed Her Husband- "A Prompt I Gave CHATGPT / Changing Your Vantage Point. See Life Differently

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.