Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,933 members, 7,806,700 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:13 PM

Something Happened Today That Made Me Think About Our Kids! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Something Happened Today That Made Me Think About Our Kids! (2646 Views)

HANGING OUT WITH OUR KIDS / Three Experiences That Make Me Think I'm Married To The Wrong Person / My Husband Doesn’t Satisfy Me Sexually, Our Kids Not His – Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Something Happened Today That Made Me Think About Our Kids! by Bvlgari: 2:51pm On May 11, 2021
Hello everyone,

Something happened today, that got me really thinking...all of a sudden, my kid did something really terrible today that i wanted to spank him a little bit but i remember say na overseas i dey lol

Nigerians in diaspora definitely do pass through these tough times with their kids because u cant even touch a kid abroad even though we were brought up in very strict disciplinary settings in 9ja...

Put simply "u spare the rod and u spoil the child"

I would like to know how other Nigerians in diaspora fare in this aspect and how u handle your kids cases most times abroad...

Re: Something Happened Today That Made Me Think About Our Kids! by Luckylife(m): 3:01pm On May 11, 2021
In foreign movies we normally see parents control their children by telling them that they are grounded for a period as a punishment . Grounded could be denying they of some the like doing or playing with.

1 Like

Re: Something Happened Today That Made Me Think About Our Kids! by tripplephi: 3:16pm On May 11, 2021
Bvlgari:
Hello everyone,

Something happened today, that got me really thinking...all of a sudden, my kid did something really terrible today that i wanted to spank him a little bit but i remember say na overseas i dey lol

Nigerians in diaspora definitely do pass through these tough times with their kids because u cant even touch a kid abroad even though we were brought up in very strict disciplinary settings in 9ja...

I would like to know how other Nigerians in diaspora fare in this aspect and how u handle your kids cases most times abroad...

kid= baby goat grin

I believe when you study psychology you will understand your child(NOT KID) better.

For example, CUTTING OFF A PROMISE OR A PLEASURE POINT for your children because of a bad behavior will help them learn consequences.

Giving them extra chores as punishment will also help them learn.

Detention too, locking them up in a room with no internet device, will simulate the prison experience for them and correct their folly.
Re: Something Happened Today That Made Me Think About Our Kids! by chatinent: 3:25pm On May 11, 2021

Re: Something Happened Today That Made Me Think About Our Kids! by Kandeed: 4:01pm On May 11, 2021
Bvlgari:
Hello everyone,

Oga na you no wan Beat jare.....Full blooded Black Americans do get flogged by their Parents yet NYPD no show. my sis teaches her kids Yoruba and punish/flog them if they do wrong yet nothing happened neither was there anytime she was questioned by their cops. Just Beat and don't make it a brutalising one. Simple

3 Likes

Re: Something Happened Today That Made Me Think About Our Kids! by GboyegaD(m): 4:26pm On May 11, 2021
In North America, you can spank just make sure there are no marks on the body. Most importantly, oga, show them love and flog in love when necessary but biko, no over do ooo.

Overall, I think understanding each child is the necessary thing needed in raising and disciplining a child.
Re: Something Happened Today That Made Me Think About Our Kids! by Bvlgari: 6:26pm On May 11, 2021
Kandeed:

Oga na you no wan Beat jare.....Full blooded Black Americans do get flogged by their Parents yet NYPD no show. my sis teaches her kids Yoruba and punish/flog them if they do wrong yet nothing happened neither was there anytime she was questioned by their cops. Just Beat and don't make it a brutalising one. Simple

Guy...hmnnn,the day when police go show, your sister no go believe am...e fit be neighbor sef or teacher for school when go report her

2 Likes

Re: Something Happened Today That Made Me Think About Our Kids! by Bvlgari: 6:27pm On May 11, 2021
GboyegaD:
In North America, you can spank just make sure there are no marks on the body. Most importantly, oga, show them love and flog in love when necessary but biko, no over do ooo.

Overall, I think understanding each child is the necessary thing needed in raising and disciplining a child.

I totally get it...u have to understand your child as each child has his or her own character
Re: Something Happened Today That Made Me Think About Our Kids! by Bvlgari: 6:28pm On May 11, 2021
tripplephi:

kid= baby goat grin

I believe when you study psychology you will understand your child(NOT KID) better.

For example, CUTTING OFF A PROMISE OR A PLEASURE POINT for your children because of a bad behavior will help them learn consequences.

Detention too, locking them up in a room with no internet device, will simulate the prison experience for them and correct their folly.

My brother its easier said than done...infact, i can state cartegorically that when u cut off those stuffs u are also putting them through thinking (indirect depression) and hardship because definitely they are used to those things already

It might work in 9ja but grounding a kid overseas is easier said than done...only in the movies bro

3 Likes

Re: Something Happened Today That Made Me Think About Our Kids! by Lovecars501(m): 6:34pm On May 11, 2021
tripplephi:

kid= baby goat grin

Its not op's fault,they use kid for their younger ones over there
Re: Something Happened Today That Made Me Think About Our Kids! by Richy4(m): 7:20pm On May 11, 2021
GboyegaD:

You really have a way with words man... I have never heard that Oxymoron before cheesy
Re: Something Happened Today That Made Me Think About Our Kids! by GboyegaD(m): 7:36pm On May 11, 2021
Richy4:

You really have a way with words man... I have never heard that Oxymoron before cheesy

It is taking out time to discuss the offense, not flogging the first 2 to 3 attempts, and using the cane to help the child remember.

You could say something like "we have discussed this a few times and you tend to forget. Hopefully, this few strokes will help you remember the consequences of this act when next you want to."
Re: Something Happened Today That Made Me Think About Our Kids! by Bvlgari: 11:35pm On May 11, 2021
GboyegaD:

It is taking out time to discuss the offense, not flogging the first 2 to 3 attempts, and using the cane to help the child remember.

You could say something like "we have discussed this a few times and you tend to forget. Hopefully, this few strokes will help you remember the consequences of this act when next you want to."

Yo bro the day u even mistakingly give your pikin one single stroke of the cane, u no go believe how your life go change forever because of that
Re: Something Happened Today That Made Me Think About Our Kids! by Bvlgari: 11:37pm On May 11, 2021
Lovecars501:
Its not op's fault,they use kid for their younger ones over there

Thanks for telling him o...i didnt reply that his "kid" part because for my mind, i say this one no know how far yet as regards overseas

1 Like

Re: Something Happened Today That Made Me Think About Our Kids! by JeffreyJunior: 3:40am On May 12, 2021
Bvlgari:

Yo bro the day u even mistakingly give your pikin one single stroke of the cane, u no go believe how your life go change forever because of that
What are you saying? I've visited a Nigerian man and in my presence, his wife slapped their last son of about 7years.

I've also seen a Nigerian woman pinch her daughter who was being naughty inside a Target store. The little girl increased her ring tone and as I looked sharply, I caught the woman pinching her. The woman's face as she dey do am like our Nigerian mothers was what gave her away. grin

Dey there dey follow oyibo dey talk mek your child turn to akata finish. grin

1 Like

Re: Something Happened Today That Made Me Think About Our Kids! by Bvlgari: 5:32am On May 12, 2021
JeffreyJunior:
What are you saying? I've visited a Nigerian man and in my presence, his wife slapped their last son of about 7years.

I've also seen a Nigerian woman pinch her daughter who was being naughty inside a Target store. The little girl increased her ring tone and as I looked sharply, I caught the woman pinching her. The woman's face as she dey do am like our Nigerian mothers was what gave her away. grin

Dey there dey follow oyibo dey talk mek your child turn to akata finish. grin

My brother, all these times u have mentioned are one offs...by that i mean, the parents do this on rare occassions when the kid has really f*cked up and na mostly once

And u know the funniest thing, it could backfire almost immediately....imagine it was the cops who saw when that woman did that to her kid like u saw it, e don be for her be that because u going to be explaining all that to the cops and your reason for doing that...and trust me, dont even say to them that that is how it is done in your country Nigeria...if u too misbehave, dem go carry your kids from you under child protection and even lock your ass up and u aint saying shit lol...forget all this your talk...

1 Like

Re: Something Happened Today That Made Me Think About Our Kids! by GboyegaD(m): 5:40am On May 12, 2021
Bvlgari:

I don't think so though because he would know why he's getting the strokes.
Re: Something Happened Today That Made Me Think About Our Kids! by Bvlgari: 5:56am On May 12, 2021
GboyegaD:

I don't think so though because he would know why he's getting the strokes.

Hmnnn bro...well that is if its in 9ja when the kid knows probably everything, goodies etc even his next meals will be withheld...

Abroad menhh, the pikin no really send and u could tell from his countenance...this era of smart phones and stuffs, plus been born and bred overseas sometimes knowingly and unknowingly enter these kids head...

Dem no see the kind thing when we see growing up for 9ja when even one better konk go reset u back to factory settings hahaha
Re: Something Happened Today That Made Me Think About Our Kids! by JeffreyJunior: 6:43am On May 12, 2021
Bvlgari:

My brother, all these times u have mentioned are one offs...by that i mean, the parents do this on rare occassions when the kid has really f*cked up and na mostly once

And u know the funniest thing, it could backfire almost immediately....imagine it was the cops who saw when that woman did that to her kid like u saw it, e don be for her be that because u going to be explaining all that to the cops and your reason for doing that...and trust me, dont even say to them that that is how it is done in your country Nigeria...if u too misbehave, dem go carry your kids from you under child protection and even lock your ass up and u aint saying shit lol...forget all this your talk...
Bro, tell this to Spanish abuelitas and abuelitos. grin

Even black grand mommas still whoop the ass of their grandkids and white grandmas spank their grandkids till date.

Policemen will hardly arrest you for whopping the ass of your erring kid except when the ass whopping has abuse written clearly all over it.

I repeat, no let your kid turn to akata. You'll have yourself to blame.

1 Like

Re: Something Happened Today That Made Me Think About Our Kids! by Bvlgari: 7:15am On May 12, 2021
JeffreyJunior:
Bro, tell this to Spanish abuelitas and abuelitos. grin

Even black grand mommas still whoop the ass of their grandkids and white grandmas spank their grandkids till date.

Policemen will hardly arrest you for whopping the ass of your erring kid except when the ass whopping has abuse written clearly all over it.

I repeat, no let your kid turn to akata. You'll have yourself to blame.

Funny enough i totally get u...but make u sef personally no make mistake hit your pikin and one yeye person when get your time, see u...u go understand better that day
Re: Something Happened Today That Made Me Think About Our Kids! by GboyegaD(m): 1:21pm On May 12, 2021
Bvlgari:

Hmnnn bro...well that is if its in 9ja when the kid knows probably everything, goodies etc even his next meals will be withheld...

Abroad menhh, the pikin no really send and u could tell from his countenance...this era of smart phones and stuffs, plus been born and bred overseas sometimes knowingly and unknowingly enter these kids head...

Dem no see the kind thing when we see growing up for 9ja when even one better konk go reset u back to factory settings hahaha

Oga, do not leave them in the hands of fate. Do what you need to do. Ground them when they break rules. Spank when necessary. The society will blame you if you fail.

Are the bolded, you are the one giving them such thoughts in my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Something Happened Today That Made Me Think About Our Kids! by Lovecars501(m): 2:12pm On May 12, 2021
Bvlgari:

Thanks for telling him o...i didnt reply that his "kid" part because for my mind, i say this one no know how far yet as regards overseas
Him never explore countries pass naija
Re: Something Happened Today That Made Me Think About Our Kids! by Vyolet(f): 4:33pm On May 12, 2021
My friend abroad spanks her kids if they err, I was on a video call with her and her daughter was misbehaving, she warned her severally but the girl wasn't listening until she spanked her lightly.. I asked if it is allowed over there, she said it is not allowed but she does it subtly to correct the child.
Re: Something Happened Today That Made Me Think About Our Kids! by Bvlgari: 9:55pm On May 12, 2021
GboyegaD:

Oga, do not leave them in the hands of fate. Do what you need to do. Ground them when they break rules. Spank when necessary. The society will blame you if you fail.

Are the bolded, you are the one giving them such thoughts in my opinion.

No the society will blame the kid if he or she fails, thats why its called a civilised world out here..its only in 9ja that when your kids fail, they would blame the parents forgetting that probably this child already had the tendency to destroy him or herself no matter what was done to help the kid

And i must confess, u can see the boldness in these overseas nigerian kids eyes that u just think that when they are certain age, u just have to send them to nigeria to learn and have sense for at least 2years then bring them back here again hahaha...

Fortunately for my kid, i dont want a situation whereby he would actually have to pass through all that going to 9ja stuffs...no matter what, my pikin will never suffer the kind suffer when i see for nigeria
Re: Something Happened Today That Made Me Think About Our Kids! by GboyegaD(m): 11:57pm On May 12, 2021
Bvlgari:

No the society will blame the kid if he or she fails, thats why its called a civilised world out here..its only in 9ja that when your kids fail, they would blame the parents forgetting that probably this child already had the tendency to destroy him or herself no matter what was done to help the kid

And i must confess, u can see the boldness in these overseas nigerian kids eyes that u just think that when they are certain age, u just have to send them to nigeria to learn and have sense for at least 2years then bring them back here again hahaha...

Fortunately for my kid, i dont want a situation whereby he would actually have to pass through all that going to 9ja stuffs...no matter what, my pikin will never suffer the kind suffer when i see for nigeria

Until the kids gets to that age, the society has a way of rubbing it in.
Re: Something Happened Today That Made Me Think About Our Kids! by Bvlgari: 3:14am On May 15, 2021
GboyegaD:

Until the kids gets to that age, the society has a way of rubbing it in.

I am happy u totally understand how it goes now
Re: Something Happened Today That Made Me Think About Our Kids! by GboyegaD(m): 2:14pm On May 15, 2021
Bvlgari:

I am happy u totally understand how it goes now

Not sure I get this.
Re: Something Happened Today That Made Me Think About Our Kids! by AmuAwusa: 2:05am On May 16, 2021
Just give the pikin better konk for head wey go give am shock waves for brain angry angry.
My konk better pass beat because my nuckles hard pass coconut.
Re: Something Happened Today That Made Me Think About Our Kids! by Bvlgari: 2:11am On May 16, 2021
AmuAwusa:
Just give the pikin better konk for head wey go give am shock waves for brain angry angry.
My konk better pass beat because my nuckles hard pass coconut.

Hahaha u know how many times i don reason to konk am but i go rest? Lol...abeg o...make e no go be say because of konk i come go dey get unnecesary wahala with the authorities

If na 9ja, na sinceeeeeee i for don konk am to reset am back to factory settings lmao
Re: Something Happened Today That Made Me Think About Our Kids! by AmuAwusa: 2:14am On May 16, 2021
[quote author=Bvlgari post=101734917]

Hahaha u know how many times i don reason to konk am but i go rest? Lol...abeg o...make e no go be say because of konk i come go dey get unnecesary wahala with the authorities

If na 9ja, na sinceeeeeee i for don konk am to reset am back to factory settings lmao[/quo

Konk is more covert.
Carry am enter bathroom give am better konk. When him dey cry finish you open the door, carry ice cream give am.
Re: Something Happened Today That Made Me Think About Our Kids! by Bvlgari: 2:24am On May 16, 2021
[quote author=AmuAwusa post=101734933][/quote]

Lmao bad guy...something like that sha...

But as long as mark no show and e no complain of headache especially for school then come say na u hit am for head na e headache start because e go still be for u that time

But i totally get u

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Is There Anything Wrong For A Woman To Give A Man Money To Pay Her Bride Price? / Please Recommend A Washing Machine For Home Use / Is It Immoral To Let Your Children Live At A Lower Standard Than You Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.