Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,393 members, 7,808,380 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:13 AM

My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool (9590 Views)

Woman Sells Own Pants, Makes N28 Million A Year (Photo) / P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch / How To Set Up A Profitable Sachet Water Business In 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool by helpfulposts(m): 10:21am On Jul 06, 2021
eliok:
yeah o will update.
I don't know how to post pics here . I would have love to
It's easy to post pictures

When you are typing a new reply you will see "Choose File". Tap it to attach picture
Re: My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool by eliok(m): 10:38am On Jul 06, 2021
helpfulposts:

It's easy to post pictures

When you are typing a new reply you will see "Choose File". Tap it to attach picture
thanks
Re: My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool by eliok(m): 11:08am On Jul 06, 2021
Alright I'm back although partially.

Purpose?

To install new solar in my home.

This time around I will attach pictures.
Re: My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool by eliok(m): 11:10am On Jul 06, 2021
Step1. What do you want to do?

For me , it is to power my house.
I know you're thinking how many times.!!!. grin

Well , I have running on 12v since over a year without issues.

So why repower?

So that I can relax well.

I started by proving that solar works.
Re: My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool by eliok(m): 11:13am On Jul 06, 2021
What do I need to achieve the goal.

Simple.

A good battery system.
A good controller

A good step down converter./ Inverter see them at [b]step down click here

get this step up converter too here

A good wiring.[/b]

2 Likes

Re: My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool by eliok(m): 11:13am On Jul 06, 2021
Who is following?

1 Like

Re: My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool by zord33k(m): 12:02pm On Jul 06, 2021
eliok:
Who is following?

I'm following.
Re: My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool by eliok(m): 7:19pm On Jul 06, 2021
zord33k:

I'm following.
ok
Re: My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool by eliok(m): 7:24pm On Jul 06, 2021
Starting with battery.

We have three types. I love to teach in lay man's language.

1. Car battery known as lead acid.

2. Deep cycle battery

3. Lithium ion battery. Like those found in laptop.
Picture attached in this order

Re: My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool by eliok(m): 7:29pm On Jul 06, 2021
Deep cycle battery is better than car battery.
Lithium ion is better than both.

Which battery should I buy?

It depends on where you are, how much you have and what you want to power.

For example. If all you want to power is a laptop, then choose the easiest battery you can get .

If you want to power your shop or house, deep cycle will do.

But if you need the best of both worlds, then lithium ion will do .

Each has advantage and disadvantage. But lithium is good if you are willing to pay for it.

Otherwise, deep cycle is your next choice.

For me , I use laptop battery . Which I get from the market.

1 Like

Re: My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool by eliok(m): 7:32pm On Jul 06, 2021
None of them is cheap.

So ask around for pricing.

Before you start.

Recap!

What determined the type of battery you buy is
1. Money
2. Usage
3. Knowledge and durability.
Re: My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool by eliok(m): 7:59am On Jul 07, 2021
Tips when getting a good battery

1. For car battery ask the mechanic. They know the best.

2. For deep cycle, get used toris. Especially from Lagos. Around 50-55k should do.

Beware of so many China battery and new ones.

3. For laptop battery. Get brand names like Panasonic, Samsung, LG. And sanyo.

Used laptop battery is like okrika, you need to select them. Samsung has many types but they are generally good. Same with other brands. Here is a pic of the popular one attached.

1 Like

Re: My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool by zord33k(m): 8:00am On Jul 07, 2021
Ride on

1 Like

Re: My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool by SilentVboy: 9:19am On Jul 07, 2021
eliok:
Starting with battery.

We have three types. I love to teach in lay man's language.

1. Car battery known as lead acid.

2. Deep cycle battery

3. Lithium ion battery. Like those found in laptop.
Picture attached in this order
Nice job @op. I would prefer the deep cycle battery.
Since I witness how the lithium battery exploded in an inverter that a guy bought from Lagos to power his phone, laptop and bulb, I began to hate it. The fire even burnt part of his legs. The lithium battery really don't like heat.

2 Likes

Re: My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool by eliok(m): 9:21am On Jul 07, 2021
SilentVboy:
Since I witness how the lithium battery exploded in an inverter that a guy bought from Lagos to power his phone, laptop and bulb, I began to hate it. The fire even burnt part of his legs. The lithium battery really don't like heat.
yes. every day i learn about lithium, the safety precaution is to avoid explosion.
Re: My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool by eliok(m): 9:23am On Jul 07, 2021
What causes this explosion?
1. When it's overcharged
2. When it's overheated.

Now how is it possible?

When you get excess panel watts. You are suppose to calculate your needs in solar panel for charging. Will explain soon
Re: My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool by ineaghe(m): 9:43am On Jul 07, 2021
SilentVboy:

Having a good bms installed prevents this. My lifepo4 batteries cannot exceed 3.5 volts per cell or 100A charge current even if I connect a hugely oversized panel to it.

Once it gets to the preprogrammed voltage, the bms will cut off any further current.

Lithium batteries gives better value for money and a stress free solar experience any day. Lead acid comes with many wahala and a shorter cycle span unless you can afford premium brands and a hugely oversized battery bank.

3 Likes

Re: My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool by eliok(m): 9:44am On Jul 07, 2021
I wanted to make this explanation as simple as possible.

When you are boiling water, after you're done, check your heat source. It's likely warm or hot.

This happens because you have probably used the stove or gas for long.

Now even your gas cylinder can explode.

Why? A number of reasons.

But can you use gas safely for years ? Yes.

Can you use your stove safely for years? Yes.

That's how these battery are.

Lithium explosion depends on overcharging, thickness of wire used , and the owners knowledge.

1 Like

Re: My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool by eliok(m): 9:49am On Jul 07, 2021
How do you prevent overcharging?

Check your panel connection. Most of our naija tech guys for solar quote panel sizes just for the money.

My brother, if you install 5 kilowatts solar.

You can safely charge it with 250 watts panel.

I know it seems small but it's will do. But many tech will tell you to install 2-3 kilowatts panel.

That's overcharging loading.

Another thing is that

Panel wires should NOT carry too much current.
Battery wire to your equipment should be done correctly. Use normal Ac 220v wire if possible.
The whole house wire should be good. Because solar sometimes pass current and if your wire is strong no problem.

Let me pause here... cool

1 Like

Re: My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool by eliok(m): 1:03pm On Jul 07, 2021
I use this wire for panels to controller.

Re: My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool by eliok(m): 1:06pm On Jul 07, 2021
And normal nepa wire that has red and black.

For battery to house wiring.

Please use wires that has color red as positive and blue or black as negative.

I have burnt something due to wrong connection. Don't buy wires without these colors.

1 Like

Re: My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool by eliok(m): 4:22am On Jul 09, 2021
So I ordered for some things I need.

Will drop the links here.

Electrical components are quite cheap from alieexpress.

i bought the following
1. a BMS BOARD FOR LAPTOP CELLS

We have 3s bms 12v
6s bms 24v
4s bms 16.8v

BATTERY MANAGEMENT *BMS* SYSTEM HERE

you can START HERE over at alieexpress to find them

i also bought this digital scale
see the digital scale
Re: My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool by mrsage(m): 5:18am On Jul 09, 2021
This is good
Re: My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool by eliok(m): 8:24am On Jul 09, 2021
mrsage:
This is good
thank you. Just contributing the little I know.
Re: My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool by eliok(m): 8:29am On Jul 09, 2021
Went to get some wires recently. As I was about paying, I remember that the wire needs to be colored red and black which means
Red= +ve
Black = -ve

I withdrew becos the said wire carried red and orange. That's enof confusion there.

Get wires that carries these insulation color.

You will save your self and your house much money.

Solar connection does not give electric shock but if it burns your electronic, you will fear.

Knowing which is live wire and neutral is good.
I look at the colors and match.

Solar no dey forgive miswiring .

A word is enof

1 Like

Re: My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool by eliok(m): 1:27pm On Jul 09, 2021
Calculating your power consumption

Formula = power is equal to current x voltage.

P= IV

Always use this formula.

P is watts

I is Ampere

V is voltage.

P= IV

Every battery you buy has voltage that is our V.

current is our I some battery like car battery is
12v 100A.

Deep cycle battery can be 12v 20a, or 12v 40a.

Lithium ion or what I call laptop battery is 4.2v 2.2a each.

You then connect batteries in series or parallel.

For example, adding 12volts + 12volts = 24 volts.

That's series connection.

But 12v 100a battery + 12v 100a battery in parallel will be 12v 200a.

So series connection increase voltage.
Parallel connection increase current.

1 Like

Re: My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool by eliok(m): 1:28pm On Jul 09, 2021
Any questions?
Re: My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool by MrLucifer: 9:13pm On Jul 09, 2021
eliok:
Any questions?
None yet. Please go on...
Re: My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool by eliok(m): 1:30am On Jul 10, 2021
here is what the battery connection should be like when you are making it for deep cycle or car battery.

1 Like

Re: My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool by eliok(m): 1:31am On Jul 10, 2021
By the way, get a multimeter ready always. Test everything to make sure it's ok. Don't underate that little device.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool by eliok(m): 8:42am On Jul 10, 2021
Good day
Re: My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool by jamace(m): 9:04am On Jul 10, 2021
Thanks for the lecture. Good knowledge.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Telecoms Biz Opportunity You Mustn't Miss!!! / Liquid Soap Preparation, Formular, Questions & Answer Platform / Woolworths Lagos Closed Down: Any Idea Why?

Viewing this topic: Alheeri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.