Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,120 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:58 PM

The Law Of God And Righteousness, Do We Still Need The 10 Commandments? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Law Of God And Righteousness, Do We Still Need The 10 Commandments? (10342 Views)

Which Of These 10 Commandments Do You Fault Always / Exodus 20: Honor–summarizing The 10 Commandments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Law Of God And Righteousness, Do We Still Need The 10 Commandments? by blueAgent(m): 6:04pm On May 13, 2021
The 10commandments are very popular and well known by Christian's, but only few adhere or obey it. there are various reasons for people not obeying the 10commandments.
One reason is that they claim it was abolished on the cross by the death of Jesus, which ushered us into the dispensation of grace and the Holy spirit.
Some observe 9 and leave out the 4th that commands us to observe the sabbath day.
But are all this reasons legitimate?

First before we dive deeper into this subject we need to understand what the law is and what it stands for.

Sin is defined as the transgression of the LAW.1john3:4, of course the law quoted here is the 10commandments because paul quoted the commandments in Romans7:7(Romans 7:7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.) and Roman's 13:9.

For where their is no law sin is not imputed. Romans 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

As long as sin exist there must be a standard or measure to identify it,and that is the 10commandments.

This brings us to the question of why the law and why we need it.

God has given us (Man and Angels)the privilege or gift of freewill.
Meaning we have the freedom to choose to obey and worship God or not.
Deuteronomy 30:15,
Having this gift of freewill necessitated God to set boundaries or laws to act as a guide to help us make the right choice. Genesis 2:9,Genesis 2:16-17.

Do we still need the law in this Era of grace and Holyspirit?
Yes we still need it , even more.
Remember that Adam and Eve were given command not to eat from a certain tree.
They saw the Face of God, were living in his presence,had everything they could ever want yet they fell, remember also that they sinned against God in an Unfallen state.

Another example is that of Satan(Lucifer) Ezekiel 28:12& 15 and his Demons(fallen Angels) they were all made perfect, stood in the presence of God and had beheld his glory but they still fell into Sin.
Some have argued that since we have been given the Holyspirit hence we do not need the law, this is not true because the Holyspirit does not force our will or Choice. its work is to help us to make the right choice only when we have subjected our will and Choice to the word and commandments of God.
An example is the story of David and his lust torwards Besharba, 2Samuel 11:2

Having the Holy spirit did not stop David from committing murder and Audeltry.
Psalm 51:11.

When we discard the Law or commandments of God we end up establishing our own standard or level of righteousness which is not acceptable to God. Mathews 15:6-9.
Psalms 19:12 Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.

Like we have seen , Standing in the presence of God,seeing the face of God and having the Holy spirit did not stop this great people from (Lucifer to Adam) from falling into sin , becos they failed to understand that to love God and trust him is to obey his commandments and word.

John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

John 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

John 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

To the subject of grace.

Grace does not give us license to sin(transgress the law)rather the work of grace is to pardon us when we fall short of the standard set or required by the law.

Romans 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? Romans 6:15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

A typical example of grace and law at work is the story of the auldtress woman, John 8:7
When she was brought before Jesus, Jesus showed her grace or mercy which he shows to everyone of us today, rather than condem her to death(wages of Sin is death,Romans 6:23) which she and all of us deserves, Christ forgave her but instructed her not to commit adultery again(not break the 7th commandments).
We can clearly see that while Jesus forgave that woman her Sins, (gave her grace) he in no way encouraged or wants the woman to continue in her Sin.

The truth is that Christ died inorder to free us from the penalty of breaking the law which is death.
His death did not free us from keeping God's commandments.
Christ himself said that he has not come to destroy but to fulfill and keep the law, and that neither a dot or T will ever be changed from the law, Mathews 5:17-19.

In Conclusion.

The idea that as Christian's we are no longer expected to keep the law is unbiblical in fact the Bible calls it lawlessness and anyone not subject to law of God as been an enemy of God.
Romans 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

If God deem it necessary to give Adam and Eve laws to observe in their unfallen state how much more we in our fallen state?
We even need it more to act as a restrain.

When we appreciate and understand the function, beauty and Holiness of God's 10 laws than we will understand that only by keeping it can one become righteous and pleasing to God.

Psalms 37:30 The mouth of the righteous speaketh wisdom, and his tongue talketh of judgment. 37:31 The law of his God is in his heart; none of his steps shall slide.

Psalms 40:8 I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.

Psalms 119:1 Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.

Psalms 119:150 They draw nigh that follow after mischief: they are far from thy law.

Psalms 1:1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. 1:2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

Ecclesiastes 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

Other Bible verses to consider.
Proverbs 28:9, Isaiah 2:3, Proverbs 28:4,proverbs 7:2, Proverbs 6:23, Proverbs4:2

Thank You for reading.

God bless.

3 Likes

Re: The Law Of God And Righteousness, Do We Still Need The 10 Commandments? by Dtruthspeaker: 6:18pm On May 13, 2021
Yes sir! That is the Only place where you can measure yourself if you have Truly done that which is Right or wrong!

Remember, without knowing The Law you would first have broken them, it is thereafter you may learn that you have indeed committed a breach!

And Secondly it's not The 10 Commandments you have to keep (Though it is)

All the other Laws Assist you in keeping the 10 Commandments, therefore they are part of the 10 Commandments.
Re: The Law Of God And Righteousness, Do We Still Need The 10 Commandments? by Dtruthspeaker: 6:34pm On May 13, 2021
blueAgent:
The 10commandments are very popular and well known by Christian's, but only few adhere or obey it. there are various reasons for people not obeying the 10commandments.

There is Only One Reason(s) in Truth, people love the benefits of doing wrong and doing wickedness and evil.

Secondly in the same One Reason, the world hates people who do the right and good thing and they try to kill them and they are 98% successful at killing them.

And thus, everyone who is born real eyesis that when he does good, he is punished badly but there is peace when he behaves badly.

Especially women to their babies and if you watch you would see how pure and good babies and toddlers are exactly as God said "He made all things Good including us".

But after the wickedness of the mum, relatives, neighbours, school and friends have been injected into the child and it takes effect, the good and pure changes into a Satan.

So 98% of people are evil and love evil, which means they hate Righteousness and must therefore hate God's Laws and must seek something to be wrong with them so that they can say that there is No Righteous for them to Obey!

As if they wanted to obey it before, Exactly as Israel did!
Re: The Law Of God And Righteousness, Do We Still Need The 10 Commandments? by Dtruthspeaker: 6:55pm On May 13, 2021
blueAgent:

One reason is that they claim it was abolished on the cross by the death of Jesus, which ushered us into the dispensation of grace and the Holy spirit.

Lies!

As I said, they seek any excuse to put away Rightness from before them so that they can continue their business of doing wrongs and wickedness as they usually do.

blueAgent:

Sin is defined as the transgression of the LAW.1john3:4, of course the law quoted here is the 10commandments because paul quoted the commandments in Romans7:7(Romans 7:7

I hope you know that the word "Transgression" which Lawyer Paul used in Law means "Breaking"!

blueAgent:

This brings us to the question of why the law and why we need it.

God has given us (Man and Angels)the privilege or gift of freewill....

Blah blah blah you are Wrong!

Before freewill was Law and after freewill is still Law.

It is still Law which gave Freewill!

So why do we have Law?

Because it is The Law that created us.

And why do we need Law?

Because, No creation can be sustained without its Creator, Exactly as No Camry or iPhone can do without Mr Toyoda and Apple!

blueAgent:

Do we still need the law in this Era of grace and Holyspirit?
Yes we still need it , even more.
Remember that Adam and Eve were given command not to eat from a certain tree.

Good you see it, Law Right there at the Beginning!

blueAgent:

The truth is that Christ died inorder to free us from the penalty of breaking the law which is death.

Sweet!
Re: The Law Of God And Righteousness, Do We Still Need The 10 Commandments? by blueAgent(m): 8:13pm On May 13, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

Lies!

As I said, they seek any excuse to put away Rightness from before them so that they can continue their business of doing wrongs and wickedness as they usually do.

I hope you know that the word "Transgression" which Lawyer Paul used in Law means "Breaking"!

Blah blah blah you are Wrong!

Before freewill was Law and after freewill is still Law.

It is still Law which gave Freewill!

So why do we have Law?

Because it is The Law that created us.

And why do we need Law?

Because, No creation can be sustained without its Creator, Exactly as No Camry or iPhone can do without Mr Toyoda and Apple!

Good you see it, Law Right there at the Beginning!

Sweet!

Are you referring to God as law?
Re: The Law Of God And Righteousness, Do We Still Need The 10 Commandments? by blueAgent(m): 8:15pm On May 13, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

There is Only One Reason(s) in Truth, people love the benefits of doing wrong and doing wickedness and evil.

Secondly in the same One Reason, the world hates people who do the right and good thing and they try to kill them and they are 98% successful at killing them.

And thus, everyone who is born real eyesis that when he does good, he is punished badly but there is peace when he behaves badly.

Especially women to their babies and if you watch you would see how pure and good babies and toddlers are exactly as God said "He made all things Good including us".

But after the wickedness of the mum, relatives, neighbours, school and friends have been injected into the child and it takes effect, the good and pure changes into a Satan.

So 98% of people are evil and love evil, which means they Righteousness and must therefore hate God's Laws and must seek something to be wrong with them so that they can say that there is No Righteous for them to Obey!

As if they wanted to obey it before, Exactly as Israel did!

I don't totally agree with you.
Re: The Law Of God And Righteousness, Do We Still Need The 10 Commandments? by Dtruthspeaker: 8:45pm On May 13, 2021
blueAgent:

Are you referring to God as law?

Draw the Line, Remember it is Written "in the beginning was The Word and The Word was with God And the Word was..."

You know The Rest!

"Let there be light! Let us make man...!" What are All these?
Re: The Law Of God And Righteousness, Do We Still Need The 10 Commandments? by Dtruthspeaker: 8:47pm On May 13, 2021
blueAgent:

Yeah, I know! Nigerians are not very very observant and do not pay attention to details.

Little Details make a mighty story!

And the Bible, like Law is Big on the Details.

As we say in Law, The Law is Precise! Same as the Bible too.

1 Like

Re: The Law Of God And Righteousness, Do We Still Need The 10 Commandments? by Dtruthspeaker: 9:34pm On May 13, 2021
blueAgent:

See it, you have only 35 views. But if it is a post about escaping punishment for offences you would have reached 50 views with many blessing you for your "wonderful" preaching.

But now that you have raised Righteousness, few come to look at it!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Law Of God And Righteousness, Do We Still Need The 10 Commandments? by livingchrist: 10:06pm On May 13, 2021
There is a righteousness that exist outside the law and that is the righteousness bu faith.

Romans 3:21
But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;

Even the ten commandments and other laws bear witness of this righteousness.

It is a very big lie that no one can be righteous without obeying the law, Abraham was justified righteous just by placing his faith in the Lord.

Romans 4:3
For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

Genesis 45:26
And told him, saying, Joseph is yet alive, and he is governor over all the land of Egypt. And Jacob's heart fainted, for he believed them not.

The righteousness of the law is filthy rag and will take you nowhere.

Only the righteousness of Jesus can cover you.

As for the commandments, there is a law called the law of the spirit of life in Christ Jesus.

This is different from the ten commandments and at the same time fulfill the whole ten commandment and beyond it.

It is also called the law of the spirit because it fulfills the true intention of the law.

The law of the spirit is written in the heart of the saved, it is taught by he spirit of Jesus.

Hebrews 8:10
For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

While the ten commandments are good but it does not make anyone righteous.

Galatians 3:21
Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.

Keeping the law could give life, then Christ would have not come.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Law Of God And Righteousness, Do We Still Need The 10 Commandments? by blueAgent(m): 10:25pm On May 13, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

Draw the Line, Remember it is Written "in the beginning was The Word and The Word was with God And the Word was..."

You know The Rest!

"Let there be light! Let us make man...!" What are All these?

God is different from his law.
God exists outside his law.
He is self existent.
Re: The Law Of God And Righteousness, Do We Still Need The 10 Commandments? by blueAgent(m): 10:25pm On May 13, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

See it, you have only 35 views. But if it is a post about escaping punishment for offences you would have reached 50 views with many blessing you for your "wonderful" preaching.

But now that you have raised Righteousness, few come to look at it!

Lol...that's true.
Re: The Law Of God And Righteousness, Do We Still Need The 10 Commandments? by blueAgent(m): 10:39pm On May 13, 2021
livingchrist:
There is a righteousness that exist outside the law and that is the righteousness bu faith.

But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;

It is a very big lie that no one can be righteous without obeying the law, Abraham was justified righteous just by placing his faith in the Lord.

For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

And told him, saying, Joseph is yet alive, and he is governor over all the land of Egypt. And Jacob's heart fainted, for he believed them not.

As for the commandments, there is a law called the law of the spirit of life in Christ Jesus.

This is different from the ten commandments and at the same time fulfill the whole ten commandment and beyond it.

It is also called the law of the spirit because it fulfills the true intention of the law.

The law of the spirit is written in the heart of the saved, it is taught by he spirit of Jesus.

For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.

You misunderstand God's word and take verses out of context.

Righteousness outside the law is the righteousness which God confers to everyone through Christ by faith. It is a gift from God.
You must understand that God confers righteousness on all repented sinners.
What this verse is telling us is that once a person repents, his sins are bloated out and the righteousness of Jesus is imputed in place of the persons sins( of cause sin is breaking of the law) so this is righteousness outside the law becos it was not earned by the sinner by observing God's commandments in the past.

Now the question is after the person has been saved should the person go back to sin or not?

God confers righteousness on everyone of us,But it does not grantuee one into Heaven, everyone of us must work out our salvation.
Philippians 2:12 ►
Context Crossref Comment
Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling

The fact is that Jesus died for everyone, offering salvation for everyone that believes and takes up their cross and fellow him.

The gift is free for everyone but not all people will claim it by living a holy life which involves obey the commandments of God.
Re: The Law Of God And Righteousness, Do We Still Need The 10 Commandments? by blueAgent(m): 10:46pm On May 13, 2021
livingchrist:

Who said Abraham did not obey God's law?
Genesis 26:5
because Abraham obeyed My voice and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes, and My laws

Do you know that faith without work is dead?
James 2:14-26
14 (B)What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 (C)If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and (D)one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” (E)Show me your faith without [a]your works, (F)and I will show you my faith by [b]my works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is [c]dead? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works (G)when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see (H)that faith was working together with his works, and by (I)works faith was made [d]perfect? 23 And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, (J)“Abraham believed God, and it was [e]accounted to him for righteousness.” And he was called (K)the friend of God. 24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.

25 Likewise, (L)was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?

26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

The question is what are those works?
Our works are obidence to God's word and commandments.
Re: The Law Of God And Righteousness, Do We Still Need The 10 Commandments? by blueAgent(m): 10:57pm On May 13, 2021
livingchrist:

There is nothing like the law of the spirit.
The same 10commandments God wrote with his fingers on stone is the same 10commandments he will write in our hearts. They are not different laws.

We worship God in truth and in Spirit when we only not obey the law outwardly but also in our spirit.

Jesus gave us an example.
When one lust after a woman in his heart although he has not committed the physical act but in his spirit he has sinned against God.

Matthew 5:27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Same with when one holds grudge or anger against his brother, Jesus calls it murder and not just only the physical killing.

Matthew 5:21 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment: 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

You can see that the same 10commandments are the same laws we need to observe even in our hearts and spirit.

Jesus never did away with the law rather he magnified it just as Isaiah prophesied.

Isaiah 42:21
The LORD is well pleased for His righteousness’ sake; He will exalt the law and make it honorable.

Its obvious from the examples I gave.

Re: The Law Of God And Righteousness, Do We Still Need The 10 Commandments? by blueAgent(m): 10:58pm On May 13, 2021
livingchrist:

There is nothing like the law of the spirit.
The same 10commandments God wrote with his fingers on stone is the same 10commandments he will write in our hearts. They are not different laws.

We worship God in truth and in Spirit when we only not obey the law outwardly but also in our spirit.

Jesus gave us an example.
When one lust after a woman in his heart although he has not committed the physical act but in his spirit he has sinned against God.

Matthew 5:27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Same with when one holds grudge or anger against his brother, Jesus calls it murder and not just only the physical killing.

Matthew 5:21 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment: 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

You can see that the same 10commandments are the same laws we need to observe even in our hearts and spirit.

Jesus never did away with the law rather he magnified it just as Isaiah prophesied.

Isaiah 42:21
The LORD is well pleased for His righteousness’ sake; He will exalt the law and make it honorable.

Its obvious from the examples I gave.
Re: The Law Of God And Righteousness, Do We Still Need The 10 Commandments? by blueAgent(m): 11:09pm On May 13, 2021
livingchrist:

Yes keeping the law could not give life, becos the damage has already been done.
But mind you if Adam and Eve had kept the commandments of God death would not have reigned over them and their descendants.

As soon as Adam and Eve sinned against God the penalty of breaking the law of God fall upon them and their descendants, at this point no amount of keeping the law could save any man because there was a debt to be paid.

Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin,and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned.
1 Corinthians 15:56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law

Romans 5:14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."

The law requires that only by blood can sin be purged, of course it has to be blood of a person without sin.
Hence Christ offered him self as a sacrificial lamb to pay that debt which me ,you and all humanity owe God.

Hebrews 9:22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

You can see that it required Christ death in order to free me and you from the penalty of breaking that law.

Now the question is after we are saved from penalty
of sin, do we go back to breaking the law?
Re: The Law Of God And Righteousness, Do We Still Need The 10 Commandments? by blueAgent(m): 11:20pm On May 13, 2021
livingchrist:

Please also click and read.

https://www.nairaland.com/5624496/law-god-law-medes-persians

https://www.nairaland.com/3481406/did-god-kill-jesus
Re: The Law Of God And Righteousness, Do We Still Need The 10 Commandments? by livingchrist: 11:27pm On May 13, 2021
blueAgent:

You misunderstand God's word and take verses out of context.
Then you dont know neither understand the gospel.

Righteousness outside the law is the righteousness which God confers to everyone through Christ by faith. It is a gift from God.
Good you agree that Righteousness exist outside the law.

must understand that God confers righteousness on all repented sinners.
What this verse is telling us is that once a person repents, his sins are bloated out and the righteousness of Jesus is imputed in place of the persons sins( of cause sin is breaking of the law) so this is righteousness outside the law becos it was not earned by the sinner by observing God's commandments in the past.
Where in that verse does it say once a person repents?
To repent simply means to change ones mind even God is said to repent, to repent does make one righteousness, one is righteous once he believes on Jesus anything outside that is simply self deception.

[b]Now the question is after the person has been saved should the person go back to sin or not?
After one is saved right, which means salvation does not come through doing the commandments.
After one is saved, he simply walks in the faith of Jesus christ.

[s]God confers righteousness on everyone of us,But it does not grantuee one into Heaven,[/s] everyone of us must work out our salvation.
Philippians 2:12 ►
Context Crossref Comment
Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling
really, so God's imputed righteousness cannot get you to heaven except the man made one?, elevating the creature above the creator.
I sorry for you.

Paul counted his own righteousness as dung for that of christ.

He said he does not want to be found having his own righteousness hence he ran to take cover.

Meaning it is an eternally disastrous thing to be found with your own righteousness.

Philippians 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

The fact is that Jesus died for everyone, offering salvation for everyone that believes and takes up their cross and fellow him.
christ died for everyone but not everyone put their faith on Christ and his wonderful finished work on the cross.
Following christ and placing ones faith in him are directly linked, the cross is the persecution that goes along with faith in /following christ.

The gift is free for everyone but not all people will claim it by living a holy life which involves obey the commandments of God.
Holy living is not a way to claim righteousness neither eternal life, the way to claim eternal life is by placing ones faith in Christ and his works.

Holy living is the end product of sanctification, while sanctification comes after placing ones faith in Christ and his work.

Repentance simply means to stop believing contrary to the gospel but accept the gospel.

The righteousness of God through Christ is the only righteousness that make us children of God and joint heirs with christ.

As long as one continue in the faith of Jesus christ, one is has the righteousness of God and assured of heaven.

To work out salvation and to work for salvation are not the same.

To work out ones salvation simply means living in line with ones salvation experience.

Phillipians said work out your salvation even as God is working in you both to will and to do.
Note, he said God is the one working in you in your will and actions.
Phillipians is treating salvation as an experience which God does in believers, the believer also should manifest what God has worked inside him.
Re: The Law Of God And Righteousness, Do We Still Need The 10 Commandments? by Goshen360(m): 12:07am On May 14, 2021
You need the 10 commandments as a Christian? Continue oo and also remember to keep the sabbath because you break the law of sabbath which is one of the 10, you break all..... grin

Also, you want the 10 commandments to tell you thou shall not commit adultery right? Joseph didn't have thou shall not commit adultery before he flew....etc

One thing I know, the LAW was a schoolmaster UNTIL you come to Christ. 2, The law IS NOT for the righteous man....in christ! You're are a man of the Spirit when you're born again and men of the Spirit don't operate by the thou shall nots they operate by the Spirit.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Law Of God And Righteousness, Do We Still Need The 10 Commandments? by MaxInDHouse(m): 5:54am On May 14, 2021
NO!
The laws were meant for the nation of Israel alone to help them understand the Christ when he comes but this people were so overwhelmed with the contradicting teachings and conflicting doctrines taught by their religious leaders (who thought they were teaching them the laws) that they finally rejected the CHRIST that all their laws and prophets were arranged to help them embrace. John 1:11-12
So Christians don't need those laws what we need is JESUS CHRIST! Romans 10:2-4 smiley

1 Like

Re: The Law Of God And Righteousness, Do We Still Need The 10 Commandments? by Dtruthspeaker: 7:39am On May 14, 2021
blueAgent:

God is different from his law.
God exists outside his law.
He is self existent.

Yes, I Know! All you said here is Right and True, which is why The First Proof of God is, His Law.

For Law MUST come out from A Person and Always Comes out From A Living Being.

Which is why till tomorrow, a car or phone can not give Law because it lives not but an Animal can eg Dogs, Lions and their Territories, they Law their territories.

Secondly, Look at The Power of The Law, what do you see?

Look at the John 1 and other connected scriptures, what do you see?

1 Like

Re: The Law Of God And Righteousness, Do We Still Need The 10 Commandments? by blueAgent(m): 8:33am On May 14, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

Yes, I Know! All you said here is Right and True, which is why The First Proof of God is, His Law.

For Law MUST come out from A Person and Always Comes out From A Living Being.

Which is why till tomorrow, a car or phone can not give Law because it lives not but an Animal can eg Dogs, Lions and their Territories, they Law their territories.

Secondly, Look at The Power of The Law, what do you see?

Look at the John 1 and other connected scriptures, what do you see?

True, you sometimes get people confused with your writeup.
Re: The Law Of God And Righteousness, Do We Still Need The 10 Commandments? by blueAgent(m): 8:34am On May 14, 2021
MaxInDHouse:
NO!
The laws were meant for the nation of Israel alone to help them understand the Christ when he comes but this people were so overwhelmed with the contradicting teachings and conflicting doctrines taught by their religious leaders (who thought they were teaching them the laws) that they finally rejected the CHRIST that all their laws and prophets were arranged to help them embrace. John 1:11-12
So Christians don't need those laws what we need is JESUS CHRIST! Romans 10:2-4 smiley

Is Fornication, killing and stealing forbiden for only The Jews?
Re: The Law Of God And Righteousness, Do We Still Need The 10 Commandments? by MaxInDHouse(m): 8:44am On May 14, 2021
as we look intently at the Chief Agent and Perfecter of our faith, Jesus Hebrew 12:2

Just continue looking at Jesus the Perfecter of our faith, if Jesus engage in it then it's not forbidden for me!

Keep looking onto Jesus, he will make you perfect! Matthew 5:38 smiley

blueAgent:

Is Fornication, killing and stealing forbiden for only The Jews?
Re: The Law Of God And Righteousness, Do We Still Need The 10 Commandments? by blueAgent(m): 8:46am On May 14, 2021
Goshen360:
You need the 10 commandments as a Christian? Continue oo and also remember to keep the sabbath because you break the law of sabbath which is one of the 10, you break all..... grin

Also, you want the 10 commandments to tell you thou shall not commit adultery right? Joseph didn't have thou shall not commit adultery before he flew....etc

One thing I know, the LAW was a schoolmaster UNTIL you come to Christ. 2, The law IS NOT for the righteous man....in christ! You're are a man of the Spirit when you're born again and men of the Spirit don't operate by the thou shall nots they operate by the Spirit.

The law was existing before mount Sinai.

How did Joseph knew that adueltry was a sin, How did God judge Sodom and Gomorrah if they had no knowledge of what God calls Sin?

Just like I proved in this thread only the knowledge of the law can help one to please God and abstain from Sin.

The psalmist disagree with you that we do not need the law.

Psalms 37:30 The mouth of the righteous speaketh wisdom, and his tongue talketh of judgment. 37:31 The law of his God is in his heart; none of his steps shall slide.

Psalms 40:8 I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.

Psalms 119:1 Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.

Psalms 119:150 They draw nigh that follow after mischief: they are far from thy law.

Psalms 1:1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. 1:2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.
Re: The Law Of God And Righteousness, Do We Still Need The 10 Commandments? by blueAgent(m): 9:44am On May 14, 2021
MaxInDHouse:
as we look intently at the Chief Agent and Perfecter of our faith, Jesus Hebrew 12:2

Just continue looking at Jesus the Perfecter of our faith, if Jesus engage in it then it's not forbidden for me!

Keep looking onto Jesus, he will make you perfect! Matthew 5:38 smiley

Stop confusing yourself Jesus obeyed the 10 commandments and instructed us to do the same.

Matthew 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. 19:18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, 19:19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
Re: The Law Of God And Righteousness, Do We Still Need The 10 Commandments? by blueAgent(m): 9:49am On May 14, 2021
livingchrist:

To repent simply means to change ones mind even God is said to repent, to repent does make one righteousness, one is righteous once he believes on Jesus anything outside that is simply self deception.

After one is saved right, which means salvation does not come through doing the commandments.

really, so God's imputed righteousness cannot get you to heaven except the man made one?, elevating the creature above the creator.
I sorry for you.

He said he does not want to be found having his own righteousness hence he ran to take cover.

Meaning it is an eternally disastrous thing to be found with your own righteousness.

Philippians 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

christ died for everyone but not everyone put their faith on Christ and his wonderful finished work on the cross.
Following christ and placing ones faith in him are directly linked, the cross is the persecution that goes along with faith in /following christ.

Holy living is not a way to claim righteousness neither eternal life, the way to claim eternal life is by placing ones faith in Christ and his works.

Holy living is the end product of sanctification, while sanctification comes after placing ones faith in Christ and his work.

Repentance simply means to stop believing contrary to the gospel but accept the gospel.

The righteousness of God through Christ is the only righteousness that make us children of God and joint heirs with christ.

As long as one continue in the faith of Jesus christ, one is has the righteousness of God and assured of heaven.

To work out ones salvation simply means living in line with ones salvation experience.

Phillipians said work out your salvation even as God is working in you both to will and to do.
Phillipians is treating salvation as an experience which God does in believers, the believer also should manifest what God has worked inside him.

You just using long grammar and sentence to confuse yourself.

Paul had ever exalted the divine law. He had shown that in the law there is no power to save men from the penalty of disobedience. Wrongdoers must repent of their sins and humble themselves before God, Whose just wrath they have incurred by breaking His law, and they must also exercise faith in the blood of Christ as their only means of pardon. The Son of God had died as their sacrifice and had ascended to Heaven to stand before the
Father as their Advocate. By repentance and faith they might be freed from the condemnation of sin and through the grace of Christ be enabled henceforth to render obedience to the law of God. [2]
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding. (Proverbs 3:13, emphasis supplied)
Re: The Law Of God And Righteousness, Do We Still Need The 10 Commandments? by blueAgent(m): 9:56am On May 14, 2021
livingchrist:

I sorry for you.

The psalmist disagree with you that we do not need the law.

Righteousness outside the law Is christ righteousness imputed on us when we accept Christ by faith.

A typical example is the thief crucified on the cross with Jesus.

Immediately he confessed Jesus on the cross his sins were erased and the righteousness of christ was imputed upon that Thief , that thief was sure of eternal life.

The thief did nothing to earn it, from his life and crime its obvious he was a breaker of God's law.

But let assume that the thief did not die on the cross that day and was pardoned by the king and he want home free and righteous.
And later he went back to stealing ,killing, committing adueltry .

The question I want to ask you is that will he still be counted as righteous or a saved man?
Re: The Law Of God And Righteousness, Do We Still Need The 10 Commandments? by MaxInDHouse(m): 10:29am On May 14, 2021
Jesus is a Jew who was born bread and brought up amongst the Jews so he must live by the laws of the land.
But when it comes to what he established (Christianity) this has nothing to do with Jewish laws or traditions.
That's why he appointed another Apostle named Paul to TEACH gentiles how to practice Christianity that has nothing to do with Jewish laws or traditions {Act 9:15 compare to 1Timothy 2:7} Paul further explained that the Jewish Christians will surely have a difficulty distinguishing between Christianity and Judaism that's why Jesus appointed Peter to TEACH the Jews (circumcised) while Paul was appointed to TEACH gentiles (uncircumcised) Galatians 2:7

But even Peter was later confused because he couldn't distinguish between the law of the Christ and that of the Jewish community! Galatians 2:11-14

So you need more knowledge about the Christ, his laws (commandments) totally differs from the Mosaic laws! Jeremiah 31:31-34 smiley

blueAgent:

Stop confusing yourself Jesus obeyed the 10 commandments and instructed us to do the same. Matthew 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. 19:18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, 19:19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
Re: The Law Of God And Righteousness, Do We Still Need The 10 Commandments? by blueAgent(m): 11:27am On May 14, 2021
MaxInDHouse:
Jesus is a Jew who was born bread and brought up amongst the Jews so he must live by the laws of the land.
But when it comes to what he established (Christianity) this has nothing to do with Jewish laws or traditions.
That's why he appointed another Apostle named Paul to TEACH gentiles how to practice Christianity that has nothing to do with Jewish laws or traditions {Act 9:15 compare to 1Timothy 2:7} Paul further explained that the Jewish Christians will surely have a difficulty distinguishing between Christianity and Judaism that's why Jesus appointed Peter to TEACH the Jews (circumcised) while Paul was appointed to TEACH gentiles (uncircumcised) Galatians 2:7

But even Peter was later confused because he couldn't distinguish between the law of the Christ and that of the Jewish community! Galatians 2:11-14

So you need more knowledge about the Christ, his laws (commandments) totally differs from the Mosaic laws! Jeremiah 31:31-34 smiley

Total crap.
You keep confusing yourself.
God is not the author of confusion he does not have a different law or standard for the Jews and a different one for the gentiles.

God's 10 commandments was for the entire humans.
The only law that was specific to the Jews were the laws regarding circumcision and sacrificial laws and priesthood all this were done away on the cross because they were shadow of things to come which is Christ.
Hebrews 10:1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect. 10:2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins. 10:3 But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.

Whether you are Jews or Gentiles, Weather you are Nigerian, American, Russian ,Chinese all the 10commandments are for you.
God will not punish a Nigerian for committing fornication while leaving a Chinese to do so.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Law Of God And Righteousness, Do We Still Need The 10 Commandments? by blueAgent(m): 11:36am On May 14, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

The problem is that you cherry pick Bible verses to suit your false doctrine without putting all the verses into context.
The argument was that the Jews wanted the Gentiles to observe their Jewish laws and traditions which the 10 commandments is not.
They wanted the Gentiles to observe circumcision and Jewish feast days and sabbaths days.

But Paul instructed them that those things were no longer required by God from the Jews or the gentiles but what mattered was keeping the commandments of God.

1 Corinthians 7:19
King James Version
19 Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.

Romans 2:25 For circumcision verily profiteth, if thou keep the law: but if thou be a breaker of the law, thy circumcision is made uncircumcision.

Romans 2:26 Therefore if the uncircumcision keep the righteousness of the law, shall not his uncircumcision be counted for circumcision?

Romans 2:27 And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfil the law, judge thee, who by the letter and circumcision dost transgress the law?

Galatians 2:12 For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.

You can see that below that Paul and the Apostles instructed the Gentiles to keep away from Fornication,Idolatry and covetousness. All this are found in the 10 commandments

Acts 15:20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood. Acts 15:29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

Acts 21:25 As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Can God Lead You To Someone You Don't Love In Marriage? / Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism / Why Faith Is Delusional

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 212
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.