Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,947 members, 7,799,212 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:01 PM

Wahala: $240 Million In Bitcoin Is TWO Wrong Logins Away From Eternal Loss - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Wahala: $240 Million In Bitcoin Is TWO Wrong Logins Away From Eternal Loss (393 Views)

China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth / A Web Company Is Offering To Pay Their Employees’ Salaries In Bitcoin / Things To Know Before Investing In Bitcoin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wahala: $240 Million In Bitcoin Is TWO Wrong Logins Away From Eternal Loss by YesNoMaybe: 8:58am On May 15, 2021
There's a single password separating San Francisco-based programmer Stefan Thomas and 7,002 bitcoins. That's over $240 million worth.

In a story all too familiar in cryptocurrencies short lifespan, another would-be crypto-millionaire has gone and lost the keys to their fortune. Thomas was reportedly paid the significant sum of bitcoin a decade ago, the New York Times reports, which he then stashed away for 'safe' keeping. Ten years on, and the password for his stuffed digital wallet has long been resigned to the depths of his mind, and Bitcoin's value has skyrocketed to $34,000.

And if knowing there was $240 million in bitcoin locked behind a prison of your own creation wasn't bad enough, Thomas only has two attempts to guess the correct combination before he can wave goodbye to his significant fortune, thanks to stringent and fairly common security protocol that will encrypt the entire drive beyond salvation following 10 incorrect guesses.

“I would just lay in bed and think about it,” Mr. Thomas told The New York Times. “Then I would go to the computer with some new strategy, and it wouldn’t work, and I would be desperate again.”

Thomas' plight is similar to a story close to home. Back in 2013, James Howells, an IT worker from Newport, Wales, accidentally threw away a hard drive with some 7,500 bitcoins stored on it. That's $260 million of bitcoin in a landfill that the local council won't let anyone look for due to safety concerns. It's also hidden under seven years of human waste by this point, so feel free to go ahead and take a look for yourself—I'll leave you to it.

But Thomas isn't quite as doomed to failure. There are two attempts left to get this password cracked, after all.

The situation hitting the papers has also seen Thomas publicly offered help from security experts ready to get to work either cracking the code or bypassing it altogether on the IronKey-made HDD. For a split of the treasure should they crack it open, of course.

Thomas received the significant sum of Bitcoins for making an animated video "What is Bitcoin?" back in 2011. A single bitcoin was worth under $10 at the time.

[Culled from PCgamer: https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/password-trouble-means-dollar240-million-in-bitcoin-is-two-incorrect-attempts-from-destruction/]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Wahala: $240 Million In Bitcoin Is TWO Wrong Logins Away From Eternal Loss by YesNoMaybe: 9:02am On May 15, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOBiu9zP5jA

Lalasticlala,.......
Thank you!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Wahala: $240 Million In Bitcoin Is TWO Wrong Logins Away From Eternal Loss by Synord(m): 9:38am On May 15, 2021
Wow
Re: Wahala: $240 Million In Bitcoin Is TWO Wrong Logins Away From Eternal Loss by dawnomike(m): 9:41am On May 15, 2021
... and there i was regretting after misplacing my login details to my wallet that had 3 bitcoins back then. My lost wallet is a learner beside these ones.

(1) (Reply)

Open AI Can Translate English Into Code / China Releases Beautiful New Photos From The Surface Of Mars / Digital Marketing Tips For Small Businesses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.