Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,890 members, 7,802,864 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:00 AM

Photographer Shares Picture Of Eel Burrowing Out Of Flying Heron's Stomach - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Photographer Shares Picture Of Eel Burrowing Out Of Flying Heron's Stomach (5100 Views)

Nasa’s $1 Billion Space Probe Sends Back Photos Of Flying Spaghetti Monster / Nasa’s $1 Billion Space Probe Sends Back Photos Of Flying Spaghetti Monster / Inspired photographer shares stunning wildlife photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Photographer Shares Picture Of Eel Burrowing Out Of Flying Heron's Stomach by LordGuru1: 8:17am On May 19, 2021
An amateur wildlife photographer has shared the best picture that he reckons he's ever taken, and it's a pretty damn good one.

In the shot, a large eel can be seen making a desperate bid for freedom by burrowing out of the stomach of a heron whilst the bird is in flight.

Yep, that's a once in a lifetime spot, right there.

Sam Davis is an engineer from Maryland, but in his spare time he loves nothing more than grabbing his camera and seeking out some wildlife to capture.

The 58-year-old couldn't believe his luck when he saw a heron flying overhead with a snake eel that it had obviously recently eaten hanging out of it.

You see, snake eels have this hard-pointed tip on the end of their tails that can be used to dig their way out of trouble, should the need present itself.

When they get eaten, they use that to try to burrow out, like in this case.

Whilst they ordinarily spend their lives sitting in the sand at the bottom of the ocean, this one found itself hurtling through the air in the belly of a heron, and it decided to change that situation.

Speaking about how he got the picture, Davis explained: "I went to the refuge to photograph foxes and eagles and whatever else may be interesting.

"There were two young eagles that saw the herons predicament and were following him around, I assume they sensed a meal."

"Initially, I thought the heron was bitten on the neck by a snake or eel.

"When I got home and edited the photos I could see it was an eel that was coming through his neck. I could see his eyes and he was still alive."

For exactly how long the heron remained alive after the photo was taken is unclear, but the wound created by an eel burrowing out of from inside it would likely leave slightly more than just a scratch.

Either way, it created a unique opportunity for the lucky snapper standing beneath to watch the whole scene unfold.

If you want to catch any more of Sam's remarkable wildlife photographs, he shares them to his Instagram account.

Naturally, this shot came as a surprise even to the wildlife experts that he showed it to.

He continued: "The wildlife refuge said they have never seen anything like that before. It is kind of a morbid photo.

"There was also a fox who sensed that there was an animal in distress.

"He followed the heron also and kept an eye on the eagles."

Nature eh? It's constantly surprising, and usually terrifying.

Source: https://www.ladbible.com/news/animals-photographer-shares-picture-of-eel-burrowing-out-of-flying-heron-20201105.amp.html

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Photographer Shares Picture Of Eel Burrowing Out Of Flying Heron's Stomach by SolarKing1: 8:18am On May 19, 2021
shocked shocked shocked : What have I just read and seen?!!!
Awesome!!! For me and all that believe, nobody can kill us unless we allow them. Like if you agree.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photographer Shares Picture Of Eel Burrowing Out Of Flying Heron's Stomach by longetivity(m): 8:26am On May 19, 2021
Disgusting

2 Likes

Re: Photographer Shares Picture Of Eel Burrowing Out Of Flying Heron's Stomach by SolarKing1: 8:31am On May 19, 2021
longetivity:
Disgusting
Don't be shallow-minded lilly-livered. You sound easily conquarable. Will you rather die than force your way out of what thought had consumed you? Learn the determination of being unkillable!

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photographer Shares Picture Of Eel Burrowing Out Of Flying Heron's Stomach by Shellsploit: 8:31am On May 19, 2021
And the stupid bird was still on flight shocked
The eel be like ... "We Move"

Moral of the story:
Never give up in life when you think its all over cos there's always light at the end of the tunnel.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photographer Shares Picture Of Eel Burrowing Out Of Flying Heron's Stomach by DestroyEvil: 8:34am On May 19, 2021
shocked Lalasticlala! Come and chee somchin!

1 Like

Re: Photographer Shares Picture Of Eel Burrowing Out Of Flying Heron's Stomach by Shellsploit: 8:34am On May 19, 2021
Live to die another day!
Wheres Lalasticlacla sef

5 Likes

Re: Photographer Shares Picture Of Eel Burrowing Out Of Flying Heron's Stomach by TechWows: 8:39am On May 19, 2021
grin Great inspiration!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photographer Shares Picture Of Eel Burrowing Out Of Flying Heron's Stomach by mainman7(m): 8:43am On May 19, 2021
Triple wow!!! Fulanis herdmen that think they have swallowed the Yoruba Land and People, this is how they shall be taken by surprise and permanently destroyed! Ashe!!!

11 Likes

Re: Photographer Shares Picture Of Eel Burrowing Out Of Flying Heron's Stomach by HONESTFACT101(m): 9:28am On May 19, 2021
lesson:Don't be as stupid as the bird......signing out
Re: Photographer Shares Picture Of Eel Burrowing Out Of Flying Heron's Stomach by mattmogan88: 9:29am On May 19, 2021
DIS GUS TIN lipsrsealed
Re: Photographer Shares Picture Of Eel Burrowing Out Of Flying Heron's Stomach by Gosj001: 9:51am On May 19, 2021
Way out of trouble!!!

I still sell affordable laptops with free delivery and pay on delivery.

Details on my signature.
Re: Photographer Shares Picture Of Eel Burrowing Out Of Flying Heron's Stomach by cassidy1996(m): 9:55am On May 19, 2021
Weytin concern niger with things like this

Disgusting shit
Re: Photographer Shares Picture Of Eel Burrowing Out Of Flying Heron's Stomach by IPOBrep: 10:03am On May 19, 2021
Its never over until you say it's over and throw in the trowel.

1 Like

Re: Photographer Shares Picture Of Eel Burrowing Out Of Flying Heron's Stomach by EmmySparky(m): 10:15am On May 19, 2021
SolarKing1:
Don't be shallow-minded lilly-livered. You sound easily conquarable. Will you rather die than force your way out of what thought had consumed you? Learn the determination of being unkillable!
Oga respect his Opinion...we see things differently...it's both disgusting and astonishing to me ...difference is the spice of life

6 Likes

Re: Photographer Shares Picture Of Eel Burrowing Out Of Flying Heron's Stomach by josh123(m): 10:45am On May 19, 2021
The bird no kill the eel before he swallow am, lesson : always chew and kill ur food before u swallow grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photographer Shares Picture Of Eel Burrowing Out Of Flying Heron's Stomach by Emu4u2c: 11:04am On May 19, 2021
HONESTFACT101:
lesson:Don't be as stupid as the bird......signing out

True talk

Nor go chop watin go kill you

1 Like

Re: Photographer Shares Picture Of Eel Burrowing Out Of Flying Heron's Stomach by kunlesehan(m): 11:06am On May 19, 2021
Eel-luck has befallen the bird, death awaits.

The eel teaches us to never give up ... there's always a way.

The bird has learnt that you crush your enemies completely before declaring victory, if not flight turns to fright.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photographer Shares Picture Of Eel Burrowing Out Of Flying Heron's Stomach by Nobody: 11:18am On May 19, 2021
How?

Did the bird swallow it alive? Besides it's not burrowing but popping out of the bird because to burrow means to "dig into."

I just hope this is not photoshopped otherwise the bird should be dead by now.

2 Likes

Re: Photographer Shares Picture Of Eel Burrowing Out Of Flying Heron's Stomach by Nicklaus619(m): 11:19am On May 19, 2021
This picture tells a thousand tales.
So the bird ate the ell, but the ell was alive to burrow out from the birds neck, awesome cheesy,

Lesson, never give up in life, even if life has eaten you up like this bird, stand strong and burrow your way to success cool

2 Likes

Re: Photographer Shares Picture Of Eel Burrowing Out Of Flying Heron's Stomach by iamyemiakins(m): 11:26am On May 19, 2021
The bird don carry wetin pass am shocked

El-Rufai is also treading this path, he wan swallow wetin pass am and catch up with the unexpected

3 Likes

Re: Photographer Shares Picture Of Eel Burrowing Out Of Flying Heron's Stomach by noyioze(m): 11:49am On May 19, 2021
Yeah, the bird ought to have chew the eel...
Re: Photographer Shares Picture Of Eel Burrowing Out Of Flying Heron's Stomach by SolarKing1: 11:53am On May 19, 2021
noyioze:
Yeah, the bird ought to have chew the eel...
grin Choi! Why evils? Raw undiluted wickedness dwelleth in thee!
Re: Photographer Shares Picture Of Eel Burrowing Out Of Flying Heron's Stomach by Patrioticbreed9(m): 11:54am On May 19, 2021
am feeling sick after seeing this. i think it's about time i drop my phone

1 Like

Re: Photographer Shares Picture Of Eel Burrowing Out Of Flying Heron's Stomach by soundOsonic: 12:02pm On May 19, 2021
Death is just the beginning
Re: Photographer Shares Picture Of Eel Burrowing Out Of Flying Heron's Stomach by ChiefSosa(m): 12:17pm On May 19, 2021
No be small megabyte we spend to view this thread/pictures...
Re: Photographer Shares Picture Of Eel Burrowing Out Of Flying Heron's Stomach by dynicks(m): 12:24pm On May 19, 2021
Pictorial evidence of how most Nigerians thought, saw and felt buhari prior to him officially becoming the president, would gather all of'em negative influences ND afflictions the country has been facing and destroy them all...

But then, corruption slipped away and it's back to hunting us!!

This menace called corruption really dey worry oo!!
Re: Photographer Shares Picture Of Eel Burrowing Out Of Flying Heron's Stomach by free2ryhme: 12:25pm On May 19, 2021
LordGuru1:
An amateur wildlife photographer has shared the best picture that he reckons he's ever taken, and it's a pretty damn good one.

In the shot, a large eel can be seen making a desperate bid for freedom by burrowing out of the stomach of a heron whilst the bird is in flight.

Yep, that's a once in a lifetime spot, right there.

Sam Davis is an engineer from Maryland, but in his spare time he loves nothing more than grabbing his camera and seeking out some wildlife to capture.

The 58-year-old couldn't believe his luck when he saw a heron flying overhead with a snake eel that it had obviously recently eaten hanging out of it.

You see, snake eels have this hard-pointed tip on the end of their tails that can be used to dig their way out of trouble, should the need present itself.

When they get eaten, they use that to try to burrow out, like in this case.

Whilst they ordinarily spend their lives sitting in the sand at the bottom of the ocean, this one found itself hurtling through the air in the belly of a heron, and it decided to change that situation.

Speaking about how he got the picture, Davis explained: "I went to the refuge to photograph foxes and eagles and whatever else may be interesting.

"There were two young eagles that saw the herons predicament and were following him around, I assume they sensed a meal."

"Initially, I thought the heron was bitten on the neck by a snake or eel.

"When I got home and edited the photos I could see it was an eel that was coming through his neck. I could see his eyes and he was still alive."

For exactly how long the heron remained alive after the photo was taken is unclear, but the wound created by an eel burrowing out of from inside it would likely leave slightly more than just a scratch.

Either way, it created a unique opportunity for the lucky snapper standing beneath to watch the whole scene unfold.

If you want to catch any more of Sam's remarkable wildlife photographs, he shares them to his Instagram account.

Naturally, this shot came as a surprise even to the wildlife experts that he showed it to.

He continued: "The wildlife refuge said they have never seen anything like that before. It is kind of a morbid photo.

"There was also a fox who sensed that there was an animal in distress.

"He followed the heron also and kept an eye on the eagles."

Nature eh? It's constantly surprising, and usually terrifying.

Source: https://www.ladbible.com/news/animals-photographer-shares-picture-of-eel-burrowing-out-of-flying-heron-20201105.amp.html

the end of the road for the bird

2 Likes

Re: Photographer Shares Picture Of Eel Burrowing Out Of Flying Heron's Stomach by taiocol: 12:52pm On May 19, 2021
Damn shocked

Limited edition wall frame available for sale.
Hit me up for more details

Re: Photographer Shares Picture Of Eel Burrowing Out Of Flying Heron's Stomach by esky158(m): 1:17pm On May 19, 2021
Na so me I the force my way comot for naja
Re: Photographer Shares Picture Of Eel Burrowing Out Of Flying Heron's Stomach by africanpride1: 2:02pm On May 19, 2021
Like for real?! What big lesson for all. Why is this wonderful thread not on FP yet?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

/ Lautech 2016/2017 Direct Entry Thread / Bet You Don't Know The Real Name Of This Fruit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.