Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,210 members, 7,807,716 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:57 PM

Questions About Traffic From Lagos To Ibadan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Questions About Traffic From Lagos To Ibadan (3912 Views)

I’m Concerned About Traffic Gridlock, Robberies –gov Ambode / PHOTOS: Man Walking From Lagos To Abuja In Honor Of Buhari / Man Treks From Lagos To Abuja To Fulfil The Vow He Made If Buhari Wins (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Questions About Traffic From Lagos To Ibadan by ektbear: 11:26pm On Apr 28, 2011
I have a few questions for people who might know both Lagos and Ibadan well. I'm trying to understand how much traffic moves between the two cities on a daily basis, what type of traffic it is, how much people pay to make their journey, and how long it takes them.

So Here are my questions:

1A) How much passenger traffic do you think that road sees per day? How many people going in each direction? 1 million each way? 2 million? 2 million in, one million out?
1B) How much commercial traffic? Trucks filled with goods, oil tankers, etc. 100,000? 500,0000?
2) Regarding question (1A), how do most people get from Ibadan to Lagos? Molue, individual car, danfo, possibly even motorcycle? Maybe 40% by individual car, 30% by danfo, 10% by Molue, etc?
3) Regarding question (1A), how much does it cost to go from Ibadan to Ikoyi (or vice versa)? Just an approximate answer will do. Please also mention which form of transport you are using when mentioning that price.
4) Finally, how much time does it take your typical commuter to get from Ibadan to Lagos (or vice versa)? Discuss also how the commute time changes with early in the morning traffic versus midday, versus night, and weekday vs. weekend. Google Maps tells me 2 hours and 9 minutes from Ikoyi to Ibadan. How accurate is this, and how much does it change with the time of day?

Thanks in advance.

(Please moderators, do not move this from the politics section just yet, this section of the site gets a lot of views and I'd like to get as much info as possible)
Re: Questions About Traffic From Lagos To Ibadan by PhysicsMHD(m): 11:31pm On Apr 28, 2011
Settin' up a suya shack?
Re: Questions About Traffic From Lagos To Ibadan by ektbear: 11:32pm On Apr 28, 2011
Just FYI, you don't need to be exact here. Just guesses are fine. I'm just trying to get some ballpark #s to work with, build some models, etc.

@Physics: Naw, I have a friend who does civil engineering and I want to be able to give them enough information to be able to intelligently help me figure out some things.
Re: Questions About Traffic From Lagos To Ibadan by PhysicsMHD(m): 11:35pm On Apr 28, 2011
Oh, ok. So is this some traffic engineering project?
Re: Questions About Traffic From Lagos To Ibadan by ektbear: 11:41pm On Apr 28, 2011
Not even that deep, just trying to get a basic idea of how one might approach solving traffic problems in that part of naija. Likely output is a letter to a newspaper, or something.
Re: Questions About Traffic From Lagos To Ibadan by ektbear: 12:56am On Apr 29, 2011
t
Re: Questions About Traffic From Lagos To Ibadan by baksonlee: 1:23am On Apr 29, 2011
1(A) Very difficult to ascertain the correct figure but I would say between 300,000 to 500,000

1(B) 50,000

2. 25% Private car, 70% Danfo, Taxi, Others 5%

3. Private Car( You will need 25 litres of fuel for a one way journey which is around 1500 naira), Danfo, Taxi( 250 - 500 naira)

4. It takes roughly 1.5 hours from Lagos to Ibadan but could take up to 2.5 hours during rush hours( mostly weekends)

P.S All my figures are based on when I was still in Naija 6 years ago
Re: Questions About Traffic From Lagos To Ibadan by Kilode1: 1:25am On Apr 29, 2011
I saw some data on this Document, scroll to page 8 then look at page 43, they have some numbers that might help you. It seems a bit dated though.
http://www.lamata-ng.com/Nigeria%20LUTP%20PAD.pdf
Re: Questions About Traffic From Lagos To Ibadan by ektbear: 1:29am On Apr 29, 2011
^-- Much appreciated baksonlee and Kilode?!

@baksonlee: Is that 300,000 roundtrip journeys? Or the equivalent of 300,000 one way. . . ?

Keep it coming folks!
Re: Questions About Traffic From Lagos To Ibadan by Dotman01(m): 2:48am On Apr 29, 2011
ekt_bear:

1A) How much passenger traffic do you think that road sees per day? How many people going in each direction? 1 million each way? 2 million? 2 million in, one million out?
. . . 700,000 to 800,000
ekt_bear:

1B) How much commercial traffic? Trucks filled with goods, oil tankers, etc. 100,000? 500,0000?
. . . . 50,000 to 70,000
ekt_bear:

2) Regarding question (1A), how do most people get from Ibadan to Lagos? Molue, individual car, danfo, possibly even motorcycle? Maybe 40% by individual car, 30% by danfo, 10% by Molue, etc?
75% by danfo,15% by cars, 5% by coaster, 5% by taxi 
ekt_bear:

3) Regarding question (1A), how much does it cost to go from Ibadan to Ikoyi (or vice versa)? Just an approximate answer will do. Please also mention which form of transport you are using when mentioning that price.
Bus- 1200
Car/taxi- 2000
4) Finally, how much time does it take your typical commuter to get from Ibadan to Lagos (or vice versa)? Discuss also how the commute time changes with early in the morning traffic versus midday, versus night, and weekday vs. weekend. Google Maps tells me 2 hours and 9 minutes from Ikoyi to Ibadan. How accurate is this, and how much does it change with the time of day?
. . . Night- 1hr40m, midday- 2hrs, wkends- unpredictable from 2hrs upwards

ekt_bear:

Thanks in advance.

* Note* the estimated/money time quoted above may be more than this due to the followings-
*time (monday morning, friday nite, wk ends, hols etc)
*traffic
*accident
*religious programme
*police road blocks etc
Re: Questions About Traffic From Lagos To Ibadan by ektbear: 2:18pm On Apr 29, 2011
^-- Thanks for that. I'm surprised. . . N1200 by bus, for a single person? Is that only one way, too? Seems quite expensive. Surprised that the masses can afford that.
Re: Questions About Traffic From Lagos To Ibadan by homerac7: 4:00pm On Apr 29, 2011
Not all traffic leaving Lagos r meant for Ibadan. In fact, a major fraction is diverted at Sagamu leading to Ijebu to connect to Benin-Ore express way.

D above quoted fare is highly unusual wc may only b at peak of festive periods, terrible traffic jam or acute fuel scarcity. Mayb d farer also chatered a taxi solely.
Re: Questions About Traffic From Lagos To Ibadan by playmode(m): 4:03pm On Apr 29, 2011
The transportation cost in naija are seriously shocking shocked shocked.Ekt-bear,i think you are right ,maybe we should just start with 150 mile per hr trains.
Re: Questions About Traffic From Lagos To Ibadan by Xfactoria: 4:31pm On Apr 29, 2011
ekt_bear:

I have a few questions for people who might know both Lagos and Ibadan well. I'm trying to understand how much traffic moves between the two cities on a daily basis, what type of traffic it is, how much people pay to make their journey, and how long it takes them.

So Here are my questions:

Thanks in advance.

(Please moderators, do not move this from the politics section just yet, this section of the site gets a lot of views and I'd like to get as much info as possible)

My response:

1A: Between 300,000 to 350,000 per day on the average in one direction. You can hit up to 500,000 on weekends and festive periods (including passengers who only stop-over in Ibadan)

1B: About 400 commercial vehicles (some of them do up to 3 or more trips in a day)

2. 14/18 Seater Buses - 80%, Cars - 10%, Heavy Duty Trucks - 5%, Private Cars - 5% (Figures for those whose journey originates from Ibadan and heading to Lagos. There are a number of luxurious buses from up north and buses and cars from Ondo, Ekiti and Osun State axis that have not been considered).

3. Ibadan to Lagos and vice versa:14/18 Seater Bus - Btw 600 - 1,000; Cars - btw 1200 - 1500

4. A typical Morning: 1.5hrs; Afternoon: 1.5hrs; Evening/Night: 1.45 - 2hrs. Weekends & Festive periods: Just add Xhrs (largely unpredictable. If you don't get hooked at Redeem/Mountain of Fire, you may get hooked at Ogere where trailers pack indiscriminately. It is worse there at night).

I travel this road at least forthnightly.
Re: Questions About Traffic From Lagos To Ibadan by RichDad1(m): 5:31pm On Apr 29, 2011
^^,
I agree with you.
Re: Questions About Traffic From Lagos To Ibadan by KnowAll(m): 7:08pm On Apr 29, 2011
There are only a few traffic between Lagos and IB I doubt if it is up to 500,000, 10,000 would be about the right figure and this figure would be based on the facts that a lot people going to Kawara and Oshun States would probably go through Ibadan. THE Majority of the traffic like someone said earlier are people going East through the Sagamu by-pass to link the Ore- Benin Express-way.
Re: Questions About Traffic From Lagos To Ibadan by omanzo02: 9:06pm On Apr 29, 2011
ekt_bear:

^-- Thanks for that. I'm surprised. . . N1200 by bus, for a single person? Is that only one way, too? Seems quite expensive. Surprised that the masses can afford that.

Geez, The last time I paid for that route was 8 years ago and it was N150.

If egunje exchanges hands often, of course they could afford it, lol.  grin grin grin grin,  anyway I wonder if everyone have such opportunity,  grin grin grin.
Re: Questions About Traffic From Lagos To Ibadan by Dede1(m): 9:14pm On Apr 29, 2011
@OP

Any form of engineering project or practical joke can not be based on assumptions or even on educated assumption. In order to obtain a traffic volume, physical counting must be conducted by counters who will also target peak periods of the day, week, month or year. Any engineering project concluded on mere assumptions is akin to a house built on sand.
Re: Questions About Traffic From Lagos To Ibadan by ektbear: 2:10am On Apr 30, 2011
^-- Right. But you need some basic estimates of this sort to get a sense of whether something is feasible or not. Traffic counting, things of that sort are step D or E, something you use to make your estimates very precise. They are not Step A.
Re: Questions About Traffic From Lagos To Ibadan by Dotman01(m): 12:16pm On Apr 30, 2011
ur problems is half solved bro. . . i just heard senator ajimobi on radio discussin hw they are plannin to link d lagos metroline true ogun to osun and so on. . . he didnt elaborate much.
Re: Questions About Traffic From Lagos To Ibadan by ektbear: 2:30pm On Apr 30, 2011
^-- Hrm! Interesting. I was aware of it, but I guess in my head I was thinking that light rail/urban transit would be a different system than intercity transit (between Lagos and say Ibadan.)

But if they could extent the existing light rail, that'd be nice.

I'll look into it. Thanks for the heads up.
Re: Questions About Traffic From Lagos To Ibadan by Pukkah: 6:20pm On Apr 30, 2011
Barring Sagamu-bound passengers and those of towns that are contigous to Lagos (e.g. Ibafo, Mowe, etc), the number of daily commuters between Lagos and Ibadan (and fro) should be around 10,000.

However, I expect that more reliable and recent figures should be in the possession of a company like Bicourtney, the concessionaire which conducted actual counting before moving to site.
Re: Questions About Traffic From Lagos To Ibadan by Dotman01(m): 8:59am On May 02, 2011
AT THE MAY DAY CELEBRATION IN ABUJA. . .Sambo, who represented the
President, said the Federal
Government would soon approve the
construction of Lagos/Ibadan railway
line to boost economic activities.

(1) (Reply)

No Plans To Reshuffle Ministers Now – Jonathan / 'You’re A Very Bad Man' How 4yr Old Confronted Kenyan Mall Gunman (Photos) / South African Female House Thief Stripped And Disgraced By Victim’s Mum And Daug

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.