Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,359 members, 7,808,246 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:21 AM

What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? (14695 Views)

What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? / 3 Common Mistakes People Make When Starting A Business / Share Your Business Start-up Experience:what Challenges Did You Face? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? by fatymore(f): 5:46pm On May 21, 2021
chukwuibuipob:
sad With all these megastore opening here and there.Peepz hardly patronise streets shops.Only mallams dey manage sales sweet, biscuits/indo sad. Think b4 u dive

How many people are int" going mega store except for paparazzi? So if I want to buy toothpaste make I go Shoprite..lol

The last time I entered ShopRite I bought one certain kg of VIVa detergent higher than what is obtainable in iya chukwudi shopundecided

3 Likes

Re: What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? by debbydams(f): 5:48pm On May 21, 2021
[quote author=Ourkitchenpalm post=101926389][/quote] lol it not easy o...I'm selling all foods stuffs including semo groundnut oil nd the provision..my friend always ask me who put me tru,,I told him I used brain ni,,In addition if op want to be selling noodles, floor, sugar, semo.he should go to ware house,,in ilorin I buy from oja tuntun In every ware house their price is always cheaper than normal shop in the market,,e.g Indomitables is 2300 in ware house if you buying from 5 its 2250.nd Normal shop in the market is selling 2350 some 2400..I hope op is getting my point

2 Likes

Re: What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? by fatymore(f): 5:53pm On May 21, 2021
I have an online store. Data yaf finish on top advertisement on social media outlets, yet customer we know see.

My problem>>>how to see customer grin
Re: What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? by namo77: 5:53pm On May 21, 2021
Nigeria
Re: What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? by debbydams(f): 5:55pm On May 21, 2021
And op if u want buy stuffs go very early..don't be lazy..open shop very early..be punctual too

1 Like

Re: What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? by namo77: 5:55pm On May 21, 2021
fatymore:
I have an online store. Data yaf finish on top advertisement on social media outlets, yet customer we know see

I can teach you how to get more results from social media adverts
Re: What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? by fatymore(f): 5:56pm On May 21, 2021
namo77:

I can teach you how to get more results from social media adverts

Is it for free or a token?
Re: What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? by 88natzy(m): 5:57pm On May 21, 2021
neoclassical:
1. Epileptic power supply (if your business is power dependent)
2. Bad location

However, if you think you want to save cost and rent an office/shop inside street, where there is no human /vehicular traffic, you will end up wasting your years there without recovering your start up capital.

From my little experience though!

This came handy, just what I am skeptical of.
Re: What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? by Chibuking1402(m): 6:02pm On May 21, 2021
Lack of capital and patronage. This is what I'm presently experiencing in my business...started off my business on February this year, deals on electrical materials after understudying the business for 1 year, after graduating without a job. This two major challenges is what I'm presently experiencing now..God will help me and also will help you bro, just be patient and trust God.
Shalom!!

2 Likes

Re: What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? by KingAlayinde(m): 6:06pm On May 21, 2021
richmond500:
Good day guys, so I'm planning to have a provision store, my budget is actually N800k.

I know every business have its challenges but I want to know what challenges dud you guys faced when your business was still in the early stages so I don't break down completely lolz.
Even if your business isn't provision store, u can still contribute and tell us the challenges u faced thanks.

I know alot of u have cool businesses that u are already running and u want me to join and will fetch me 20k daily but I am not interested so please just stick to the topic, Also FP hijackers, let's be civil here thanks as u cooperate

Started my business 2018 auto spare part....I start from the lowest part tho with hope, but it was so frustrating and exhausting.... My dreams was so high when getting started but low patronage makes me weak,I can't boost of buying anything special for myself since then, anyway I don't thinks of it anymore when I sell fine and when I don't fine.... eating normally is my concerns and having my transport fare in my pocket, when it times to elevate God will surely does it miracles..... always seeks and be open for life changing opportunities cos God plans is always different and giving up is never an option

1 Like

Re: What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? by mailemy(m): 6:29pm On May 21, 2021
That's not a wise decision, better to buy and sell at the current price than going out of the biz entirely.
Funkybabee:
Useless economy

The goods price getting increase everyday and the customers will want to buy at the previous price

Omo I kukuly be smart to stop it before the capital run into debt

2 Likes

Re: What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? by jacko007(m): 6:41pm On May 21, 2021
Be careful with relatives you bring to join you and be cautious of stock taking and weekly/monthly balancing to know your progress. Learn not to eat your profit at least for the first 1 year of starting.
Re: What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? by pweetylass(f): 7:01pm On May 21, 2021
Mine is ponmo,due to poor power supply in my area the loss is much. Just started though,but trusting God for breakthrough.
Re: What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? by benzene00: 7:34pm On May 21, 2021
pweetylass:
Mine is ponmo,due to poor power supply in my area the loss is much. Just started though,but trusting God for breakthrough.
I would like to eat your 'ponmo' grin special one
Re: What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? by vincentjk(m): 7:41pm On May 21, 2021
Francisayo:

Pls sir I want to start cement business and I will be happy if u can tell me more about it....

What exactly do you want to know? Tell me and I'll explain.
Re: What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? by oluwaleokey: 7:43pm On May 21, 2021
Nice thread
Planing to set up sth..

Any idea in the kinda biz that would flourish in village but not far from the main town...

Have POS agent in mind although to be handled by a supposed honest staff coz I work too...

I opted out provision store plans simply coz it seems every house has either a provision store, kiosk or table same with pharmacy chemist

Will appreciate ideas while we are learning on handling the challenges
Re: What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? by Puhrs: 8:35pm On May 21, 2021
Losses but for back up
Re: What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? by Govocrete: 9:21pm On May 21, 2021
doctorexcel:
1. Funding
2. Gaining the trust of people
3. Setting up an appropriate centre
4. Competition from already establish SHARK
5. Envy from friend and foes who are not happy with your vision
6. The waiting period when income could not cover expenses

You nailed it on the head.
Re: What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? by Funkybabee(f): 9:22pm On May 21, 2021
mailemy:
That's not a wise decision, better to buy and sell at the current price than going out of the biz entirely.

You will not understand bro
Re: What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? by Donspicey: 9:49pm On May 21, 2021
When i started it was moving smoothly, then all of a sudden my goods started drying up with no cash at hand....

Everyday expenses dealt me a heavy blow coupled with debtors... At a time i was contemplating on locking up and go back to salary work.....

Gradually depression started to creep in...

Like play like play i no dey fit sleep for night again...Man pikin begin reason say village dey follow am....

Menh the story long jareh but my advice is that no matter the challenges you will encounter,Never give up cos problem no dey finish.....
Re: What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? by Donspicey: 9:51pm On May 21, 2021
debbydams:
lol it not easy o...I'm selling all foods stuffs including semo groundnut oil nd the provision..my friend always ask me who put me tru,,I told him I used brain ni,,In addition if op want to be selling noodles, floor, sugar, semo.he should go to ware house,,in ilorin I buy from oja tuntun In every ware house their price is always cheaper than normal shop in the market,,e.g Indomitables is 2300 in ware house if you buying from 5 its 2250.nd Normal shop in the market is selling 2350 some 2400..I hope op is getting my point

Why u no dey buy from LAMAS?.....
Re: What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? by LKO(m): 10:28pm On May 21, 2021
AGUBANZE:

I have managed a departmental store before.

You need to have constant power so your drinks can be cold , you have to know how you can evaluate that: maybe you can buy rechargeable fridges. You should always keep your store rent apart and pay tax promptly. You need to be very careful of rats, you need to have everything with cartoon and nylon inside something like a showcase that rats can’t get into , if not you will come to store and you don’t have Golden Morn to sell again. Then avoid girls my brother, girls like guys that do this business. I will be honest with you when I tell you that provisions don’t fetch much money but cosmetics do. You have to combine the provision store with perfumes , bleaching soaps and all the other Carowhite cream , soap and oils. You need to have stocks of lotions that people demand around. If the chances of theft is high you need to safeguard your store even from the ceiling, put burglary prove in the ceiling. Cheers.

I started a store where I sell food spices and condiments, beverages and toiletries two weeks ago and you are right when you say provision don't fetch money. I'm also having the intention of adding cosmetics to it but really do not know how start as there are thousands of cosmetics products in the market. I also learnt if I can't advise my customers on the right cream to buy, they may likely not patronize me. How profitable is the cosmetics business?
Re: What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? by debbydams(f): 10:41pm On May 21, 2021
Donspicey:

Why u no dey buy from LAMAS?.....
where's that
Re: What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? by Cornerztone: 11:54pm On May 21, 2021
[I am facing the similar challenges right now, to eat is even a problem, I will love to learn from you on how you conquer the challenges. quote author=INTEGRITYA1 post=101924770]Unlike when I was earning monthly salaries and running house affairs with the little money that do comes in on regular basis. The major challenge I faced "was not earning even Kobo for so many months as a start up" due to lack of patronage and people being so skeptical to deal; for my line of business required some level of huge amount of money in dealing. Meanwhile there are day to day financial responsibilities and pressure from all angles.

The issue was so intense at a point my wife started to mount pressure that I should go back to salary work, even if to take up teaching jobs for the meantime, I tried to explain to her that taken up teaching job will distract me from my pursuits but she couldn't understand and I remained resolute and let her be.

I kept moving forward with some good level of determination, focus and believe. It's now paying off, even though we are not yet there, we can say confidentially that; we are not where we used to be.

Oh, let I forget that; i am an Estate Consultant, I help Investors home and abroad to achieve their real estate related Investments.[/quote]
Re: What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? by chukwuibuipob: 12:03am On May 22, 2021
[quote author=fatymore post=101927117]

How many people are int" going mega store except for paparazzi? So if I want to buy toothpaste make I go Shoprite..lol

The last time I entered ShopRite I bought one certain kg of VIVa detergent higher than what is obtainable in iya chukwudi shopundecided[/quote.evem in Ur Agege hood, there's stores like ShopRite.U can even buy it cheap at Agege pen cinema,AP etc
Re: What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? by AGUBANZE(m): 12:17am On May 22, 2021
LKO:

I started a store where I sell food spices and condiments, beverages and toiletries two weeks ago and you are right when you say provision don't fetch money. I'm also having the intention of adding cosmetics to it but really do not know how start as there are thousands of cosmetics products in the market. I also learnt if I can't advise my customers on the right cream to buy, they may likely not patronize me. How profitable is the cosmetics business?

You will need to carry out a feasibility study. You should walk into a store there and check the creams , soaps and tube creams that they sale. Then you will start small but you can ask for advise from the wholesale guys if you can trust them at the market. You will make most of the money in this business when it comes to drinks, creams , body oils and perfumes. The cream you have to be careful because of the expiring date. Tube creams expire first that normal lotions and etc. this business is a business you will learn on the go. There is no fixed way to go about it because areas and preferences varies.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? by Labe79: 3:52am On May 22, 2021
AGUBANZE:

You will need to carry out a feasibility study. You should walk into a store there and check the creams , soaps and tube creams that they sale. Then you will start small but you can ask for advise from the wholesale guys if you can trust them at the market. You will make most of the money in this business when it comes to drinks, creams , body oils and perfumes. The cream you have to be careful because of the expiring date. Tube creams expire first that normal lotions and etc. this business is a business you will learn on the go. There is no fixed way to go about it because areas and preferences varies.
Ourkitchenpalm:
I'm inside my provision store now.

Opened it during covid/Lockdown era last year. It would be one year next month.
As a result of the Lockdown, I spent one million, one hundred thousand naira building just a 15*15 container and other fitting so as to make it cool always. Instead of the earlier budget of 800k for both the container and goods.

There was no money again to put goods in the store. My wife even laughed at me. Only her knew that it money that was holding me.

I got two hundred thousand only. my wife followed me to the market, we bought things half cartons each instead of 2-5 cartons I earlier quoted. Thanks to my wife. I never knew that, 200k could buy so many goods. when I already looking for where to raise one million naira according to my quotations.

I sold 7k only on the first day. All denominations counted (N1000 -N5).
Today, we don't count N200 to N5.
We do realize such amount in less than 10-30mins.

The only way to succeed is when you declare Operation Do Yourself.

Wonderful! I was told there is no much profit in this business. Nice to hear this anywa
Re: What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? by Igbojihadist: 6:46am On May 22, 2021
slawormiir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright....grab my weed....while I read comments

The only challenge we real niggarrrrs encounter in our business at first is tools and format
real niggarr
Re: What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? by Donspicey: 7:07am On May 22, 2021
debbydams:
where's that

Beside First bank at surulere.....
Re: What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? by Eagba(m): 7:26am On May 22, 2021
KingAlayinde:

Started my business 2018 auto spare part....I start from the lowest part tho with hope, but it was so frustrating and exhausting.... My dreams was so high when getting started but low patronage makes me weak,I can't boost of buying anything special for myself since then, anyway I don't thinks of it anymore when I sell fine and when I don't fine.... eating normally is my concerns and having my transport fare in my pocket, when it times to elevate God will surely does it miracles..... always seeks and be open for life changing opportunities cos God plans is always different and giving up is never an option
is your bizness in a spare parts market? Or do you own a big land and you allowed various mechanics to stay there free of charge and be repairing stuffs , why you sell or are you close to any nice mechanics workshop? If no, Bros he go hard o
Re: What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? by KingAlayinde(m): 7:41am On May 22, 2021
Eagba:
is your bizness in a spare parts market? Or do you own a big land and you allowed various mechanics to stay there free of charge and be repairing stuffs , why you sell or are you close to any nice mechanics workshop? If no, Bros he go hard o

Atleast 2 mechanic workshop are so near to me , they're most loyal to one woman for the area and it not even that I'm too steeper with my stuff, just that most mechanic of them likes where they can buy on credit without a threat for them to pay back, can't count how many of them that owe me and doesn't bother to looks my side anymore
Re: What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? by bamidele89: 10:22am On May 22, 2021
To start business they fear me with the little 500k with me
I don’t even know what to start with
Please does anyone have knowledge on wine business with drinks and I think I can also add Pos with it
Please kindly share your experience on this

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Making Money From Exporting Agro Products / CBN Releases $500m To Clear Verified FOREX Backlog / Onion Business Is Very Lucrative

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.