Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,972 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:45 AM

The Implications Of Releasing Your Phone's IMEI To A Third Party. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Implications Of Releasing Your Phone's IMEI To A Third Party. (2630 Views)

BMO Accuses Peter Obi Of Releasing False Information In 2018 (Throwback) / The Implications Of APC Governors Meeting With Wike And Tinubu's Sure Ticket / Shehu Abdullahi: The Implications Of The NBA Rejection Of Justice Tanko As CJ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Implications Of Releasing Your Phone's IMEI To A Third Party. by shogsman(m): 3:11pm On May 21, 2021
The International Mobile station Equipment Identity number (IMEI) is a number used to identify a device that uses terrestrial cellular networks.
The IMEI number comes in handy when your handset gets lost or stolen. No, it won’t magically bring the phone back to you, but you can make sure whoever found or stole it won’t be able to use it. Your carrier can blacklist a device based on its IMEI number and can contact other carriers to do the same. This means the phone won’t be able to make/receive calls anymore or connect online via the cellular network, even with a new SIM card.
IMEI is just as important as VIN(vehicle identification numbers) in cars.
Anyone that has access to your IMEI number can do the following.
-blacklist or block your phone
-will be able to track your exact location
-the person can modify his mobile IMEI number with your number
-You can collect details like call history sms history and then recharge history with IMEI
-phone cloning
-they can record or listen to your mobile conversations.

NOTE-The government has no right whatsoever to ask Nigerians for their phone IMEI because according to Section 37 of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Nigerians have a "Right to private and family life" which means no Nigerian is obligated to release his or her phone IMEI.
Moreover they have BVN,NIN, NATIONAL ID CARD for the Same purpose

9 Likes

Re: The Implications Of Releasing Your Phone's IMEI To A Third Party. by kinzation(m): 3:12pm On May 21, 2021
Hmmm
Make I learn

1 Like

Re: The Implications Of Releasing Your Phone's IMEI To A Third Party. by madridguy(m): 3:16pm On May 21, 2021
-You can collect details like call history sms history and then recharge history with IMEI
-phone cloning

Buhari should replace Pantami with immediate effect.

5 Likes

Re: The Implications Of Releasing Your Phone's IMEI To A Third Party. by after4: 3:19pm On May 21, 2021
When they have your bank account details via NIN and now phone, Wetin again remain. And somebody tell me sey this guy's no dey mad. Make dem con collect the imei number nah.

4 Likes

Re: The Implications Of Releasing Your Phone's IMEI To A Third Party. by airminem(f): 3:19pm On May 21, 2021
Following...smiley
Re: The Implications Of Releasing Your Phone's IMEI To A Third Party. by Nobody: 3:22pm On May 21, 2021
Fg one run street on Nigerians abi

Na how to debit from account go remain since they have sim card bvn nin imei

6 Likes

Re: The Implications Of Releasing Your Phone's IMEI To A Third Party. by jlinkd78(m): 3:23pm On May 21, 2021
Noted
Re: The Implications Of Releasing Your Phone's IMEI To A Third Party. by cybersoldiers: 3:26pm On May 21, 2021
Security wise its wrong to submit your phone imei to anyone in this terrorist regime.

They will clone your phone, use it to commit crime and nail you.

But I still wonder why southern Nigeria people are very docile now.

They should oppose this as early as possible.

7 Likes

Re: The Implications Of Releasing Your Phone's IMEI To A Third Party. by ivolt: 3:27pm On May 21, 2021
madridguy:
-phone cloning

Pantami is unfit for such a sensitive position.
But Only 2 items in your list can be done by "anyone".

1 Like

Re: The Implications Of Releasing Your Phone's IMEI To A Third Party. by Carloslehder: 3:30pm On May 21, 2021
I'd rather go to jail with a smile on my face than to release my IMEI to a damn terrorist

6 Likes

Re: The Implications Of Releasing Your Phone's IMEI To A Third Party. by Dapson73(m): 3:33pm On May 21, 2021
Thank God my phone doesn't have IMEI.

1 Like

Re: The Implications Of Releasing Your Phone's IMEI To A Third Party. by haffaze777(m): 3:33pm On May 21, 2021
ivolt:

Pantami is unfit for such a sensitive position.
But Only 2 items in your list can be done by "anyone".

List out items please

3 Likes

Re: The Implications Of Releasing Your Phone's IMEI To A Third Party. by Jones4190(m): 3:34pm On May 21, 2021
Section 37 of the 1999 Constitution provides that:

"The privacy of citizens, their homes, correspondence, telephone conversations and telegraphic communications is hereby guaranteed and protected."

3 Likes

Re: The Implications Of Releasing Your Phone's IMEI To A Third Party. by motymop: 3:34pm On May 21, 2021
The government has every right to ask for your imei if it is for National security purposes.

You guys can scream and nag as you like, their is no going back on this directive.

The increase in crimes, terrorism and kidnapping is a threat to national security and government will do everything to protect its Citizens
Re: The Implications Of Releasing Your Phone's IMEI To A Third Party. by Heavensent01(m): 3:38pm On May 21, 2021
madridguy:
-phone cloning

which Buhari? the one that violate human rights and the one clapping down on social media since 2017?

this minister of terrorist and communication is only doing the bidding of the powerful people

this evil govt want to execute an agenda and they need to silent the voice of the majority before their plans

Buhari is a useless old man

1 Like

Re: The Implications Of Releasing Your Phone's IMEI To A Third Party. by FemolasticA: 3:39pm On May 21, 2021
Shi Shi them no go even see in the first place. grin grin

This Gov just want to frustrate us, las las God pass them sad
Re: The Implications Of Releasing Your Phone's IMEI To A Third Party. by Heavensent01(m): 3:40pm On May 21, 2021
motymop:
The government has every right to ask for your imei if it is for National security purposes.

You guys can scream and nag as you like, their is no going back on this directive.

The increase in crimes, terrorism and kidnapping is a threat to national security and government will do everything to protect its Citizens

in what way will it curb those aforementioned? mostly kidnapping among you aboki that don't even used smartphone?

dummy people everywhere

2 Likes

Re: The Implications Of Releasing Your Phone's IMEI To A Third Party. by motymop: 3:43pm On May 21, 2021
Heavensent01:

in what way will it curb those aforementioned? mostly kidnapping among you aboki that don't even used smartphone?

dummy people everywhere

In easy tracking of criminals in our society.

I would have expected a very " smart person " like you to be able to understand this simple directive.

The telecommunications companies already have all your imei numbers, so you can rant as you like.
Re: The Implications Of Releasing Your Phone's IMEI To A Third Party. by ivolt: 3:44pm On May 21, 2021
haffaze777:

List out items please

I think it is just one really:
This
1.the person can modify his mobile IMEI number with your number

The second one
blacklist or block your phone
Requires police and or court report to be presented to service provider.
So not anyone can do it.
Re: The Implications Of Releasing Your Phone's IMEI To A Third Party. by Luigi02(m): 3:44pm On May 21, 2021
motymop:

The FG are just rattling about like they always do. Trust the the Majority of Nigerians aren't gonna submit it and there's nothing they can do abi them Wan come dey beat me? I still regret giving em my NIN, defo not this time undecided
Re: The Implications Of Releasing Your Phone's IMEI To A Third Party. by motymop: 3:46pm On May 21, 2021
Luigi02:

The FG are just rattling about like they always do. Trust the the Majority of Nigerians aren't gonna submit it and there's nothing they can do abi them Wan come dey beat me? I still regret giving em my NIN, defo not this time undecided

If they like they shouldn't submit their Imei numbers. The telecommunication companies have all these data already.

Telcoms even know the type of phones you are using.
Re: The Implications Of Releasing Your Phone's IMEI To A Third Party. by Heavensent01(m): 3:47pm On May 21, 2021
motymop:

In easy tracking of criminals in our society.

I would have expected a very " smart person " like you to be able to understand this simple directive.

The telecommunications companies already have all your imei numbers, so you can rant as you like.

so what's the usefulness of the NIN then? Mr teacher ?

anyway some mumu can submit theirs for thus terrorist govt, not me and my family
Re: The Implications Of Releasing Your Phone's IMEI To A Third Party. by Heavensent01(m): 3:48pm On May 21, 2021
motymop:

If they like they shouldn't submit their Imei numbers. The telecommunication companies have all these data already.

Telcom even know the type of phones you are using.

if they'd then let your FG collect it from them olodo
Re: The Implications Of Releasing Your Phone's IMEI To A Third Party. by motymop: 3:49pm On May 21, 2021
Heavensent01:

so what's the usefulness of the NIN then? Mr teacher ?

anyway some mumu can submit theirs for thus terrorist govt, not me and my family

If you like don't submit your NIN.

You did sim registration, your info is their already.

Anybody that buys a new sim will be asked for Nin and your personal data before you can use a sim.

The usefulness is for proper tracking of crimes.
Re: The Implications Of Releasing Your Phone's IMEI To A Third Party. by motymop: 3:51pm On May 21, 2021
Heavensent01:

if they'd then let your FG collect it from them olodo

So mr "smart"

The government have all those data, a simple court order is what the government needs and all your phone info will be at their table.
Re: The Implications Of Releasing Your Phone's IMEI To A Third Party. by Luigi02(m): 3:52pm On May 21, 2021
grin
motymop:

Anybody that buys a new sim will be asked for Nin and your personal data before you can use a sim.

Re: The Implications Of Releasing Your Phone's IMEI To A Third Party. by Luigi02(m): 3:52pm On May 21, 2021
motymop:

You're an îľliterate aren't you?

1 Like

Re: The Implications Of Releasing Your Phone's IMEI To A Third Party. by shogsman(m): 3:53pm On May 21, 2021
Mikecold:
Fg one run street on Nigerians abi

Na how to debit from account go remain since they have sim card bvn nin imei
They have kuku been making plans on how to borrow money in Nigerians dormant account
Re: The Implications Of Releasing Your Phone's IMEI To A Third Party. by shogsman(m): 3:54pm On May 21, 2021
Luigi02:

If I may please u would like us to keep this thread respectful and devoid of insults
Re: The Implications Of Releasing Your Phone's IMEI To A Third Party. by Elliot2(m): 3:55pm On May 21, 2021
Now I am beginning to believe Donnie. Truly black men are the true Israelites, and they are located in the south east, south south and south west. And Bubu is the Antichrist who is scheming to wipe us out.
Re: The Implications Of Releasing Your Phone's IMEI To A Third Party. by motymop: 3:55pm On May 21, 2021
Luigi02:

I know you are one of the people who think he is "smart" with tech.

If you like put false info on your registration.

Your phone brand, number and imei is what the operator needs to know your location.

A transcript of all your calls will link you up with people and they will rat you out.
Re: The Implications Of Releasing Your Phone's IMEI To A Third Party. by Nobody: 3:56pm On May 21, 2021
shogsman:

They have kuku been making plans on how to borrow money in Nigerians dormant account
Printing don taya Dem?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Shiroro: Local Hunters Kill 47 Bandits In Niger LG / We Used Buhari’s Teeth-picking Picture To Depict Lazy Leadership - Scottish Uni / 10 Reasons Why The Northern Elites, Governors Worked Against Osinbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.