Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,795 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:42 PM

The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. (16993 Views)

Introduction To Web 3.0 / How to add images to web pages with coding / How to code buttons to web pages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jun 16, 2021
noob03saibot:
it's very true what the op said about "Ds and ML" having few jobs in Nigeria. If I were you ,I would listen to him. Nigeria isn't ready for it yet. What's paining me the most is the whole time I put into learning it. Spent months upon months on it only to find it hard in getting job openings for it here. The few I got didn't take me seriously because of lack of certification. So now I am switching over, after much thought over desktops or web dev, today I begin my journey into the world of web. Choose wisely.

Thank you. But outside Nigeria will it be useful?
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by noob03saibot(m): 4:50pm On Jun 16, 2021
Citygal:

Thank you. But outside Nigeria will it be useful?
yeah! Very very useful from the little findings I have made. I do feel it will be huge here in years to come.
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by ibromodzi: 8:37pm On Jun 16, 2021
@tensazangetsu20 because you don make am for web dev, you con dey trash DS/Python. Continue oo
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:48pm On Jun 16, 2021
ibromodzi:
@tensazangetsu20 because you don make am for web dev, you con dey trash DS/Python. Continue oo
I wish I don make am o. I wish. Python is useless for anyone in Nigeria that's the fact. Even someone who graduated from a code bootcamp said his cohorts in data science couldn't find jobs. Even your data science guy was a web developer before he port to data science.
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by QueTeddy: 11:18pm On Jun 16, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Download visual studio code on your computer. Then you can look up on Google how to run python on visual studio. I don't do python and I will never ever do it. There's also some python specific ides from jetbrains.
Why won't you?
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by QueTeddy: 11:22pm On Jun 16, 2021
Karlebolu:
Guy, our mind works together. shocked shocked

I was going to create something like this. Aje!

Job no dey, job no dey but I have two interviews scheduled for next week.

Before now, I have been offered a job without interview right from my town here in Ondo State in Lagos. They couldn't continue with me because I don't reside in Lagos and the work is not 100 percent remote. That same month, I got a call from another recruiter from Abuja and an email from a recruiter in London. They couldn't hire me because of the reason above.

Funnily enough, when I showed a senior developer the CV that got me calls from 3 recruiter, he trashed it. I had to make some important edit. Same CV got me a test with access bank, I guess I didn't do well in the test because I was rejected. Although they didn't show us the test results.

A guy connected via this same NL, wanted an e-commerce store. I charged N500k he priced N100k and I said no. I fuccked up for there sha.

Point is, if there were too much jobs, no one would have looked at my horrible resume.

Granted I have a lot of rejection mails but I'm getting called for interviews and there are web jobs, local and foreign, being posted everyday on LinkedIn, indeed, even jobberman.

Those behind this propaganda are people who have never coded in their life or people who gave up on coding because it's too hard.

Lastly, abeg I get interview no mean say I get job o. I still dey job hunt o.

Bros, quote your stack abeg
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by GeneralDae: 11:24pm On Jun 16, 2021
Citygal:
I’ve started learning python on SoloLearn and I’m done with the Python for beginner class. I want to go further by coding on my computer but I don’t know what software to download for it. So please how do I go about it @ tensazangetsu20?

I am learning it on my phones, plus abeg, I need mentorship
First, what area do you want to apply python to? Data Science, Web development, or what exactly? That is the most important question.
To get started with python, look up any tutorial that helps you download Anaconda. If you are focussed on data science, with Anaconda you get Jupyter notebook. If you are not focused on data science then rather than Jupyter notebook as editor, you use any of pycharm, sublime test, or visual studio code.
Visual studio code is actually the best in my opinion. Get it together with Jupyter notebook (for data science), then move on with tutorials.
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by Nobody: 5:07am On Jun 17, 2021
GeneralDae:

First, what area do you want to apply python to? Data Science, Web development, or what exactly? That is the most important question.
To get started with python, look up any tutorial that helps you download Anaconda. If you are focussed on data science, with Anaconda you get Jupyter notebook. If you are not focused on data science then rather than Jupyter notebook as editor, you use any of pycharm, sublime test, or visual studio code.
Visual studio code is actually the best in my opinion. Get it together with Jupyter notebook (for data science), then move on with tutorials.

Thank you boss. Web development is the focus. I’ve downloaded Visual Studio Code and tried my best to import python modules for my practice all to no avail, even watched YouTube for tutorials but it’s just not working. I’ve been advised to use pycharm which I’ve switched to now.

1 Like

Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by Karlebolu(m): 6:48am On Jun 17, 2021
QueTeddy:

Bros, quote your stack abeg

PHP/Laravel, Javascript/Vuejs.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by Nobody: 8:46am On Jun 17, 2021
what do you guys think about UI/UX , is it marketable in Nigeria
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by Michaelesoimeme(m): 11:23am On Jun 17, 2021
What is a Variable |Python tutorial for beginners 2021| python tutorial | learn python |programming
In this video, I will be showing you how a python variable works I will be showing you how to create a variable the rules involved, the different type of ways you can make your variable readable, how to assign one value to different variables or assign different values to more than one variable all at once,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-LVOKYgrPg
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by lordally(m): 11:37am On Jun 17, 2021
ARCHEMEDESME:
what do you guys think about UI/UX , is it marketable in Nigeria

Yes it's very very marketable
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by ibromodzi: 1:25pm On Jun 17, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

I wish I don make am o. I wish. Python is useless for anyone in Nigeria that's the fact. Even someone who graduated from a code bootcamp said his cohorts in data science couldn't find jobs. Even your data science guy was a web developer before he port to data science.

Baba, Python is not useless anywhere in the world if one knows what one is doing. While the nature of my profession does not permit me to seek for full-time, data-related jobs, at least for now. I have made close to a million Naira in the last 6 months from freelancing. I even had to turn down so many gigs because of my final year exams. Just know what you are doing.

5 Likes

Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by walyx(m): 6:14pm On Jun 17, 2021
ibromodzi:

Baba, Python is not useless anywhere in the world if one knows what one is doing. While the nature of my profession does not permit me to seek for full-time, data-related jobs, at least for now. I have made close to a million Naira in the last 6 months from freelancing. I even had to turn down so many gigs because of my final year exams. Just know what you are doing.

Pls can i mail u ?
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by Dhavido(m): 11:18pm On Jun 17, 2021
Thanks for this thread bro, just starting my journey into tech. Done with HTML like people would say, you can never finish learning CSS so I’ll say I’m well grounded in CSS.

I’m presently learning JS and I’ve been trying to get web dev internship but the thing hard small so I’ve decided to focus on learning my JS and move to react when I’m very good with JS.

I have some domain names that I’m presently developing websites for just to build my portfolio so I can pay for hosting and host them and start applying for junior developer roles when I’m good enough with react.

I would like to know your thoughts on this boss, wouldn’t mind if I can be mentored by you also

2 Likes

Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by Nobody: 7:14am On Jun 18, 2021
Dhavido:
Thanks for this thread bro, just starting my journey into tech. Done with HTML like people would say, you can never finish learning CSS so I’ll say I’m well grounded in CSS.

I’m presently learning JS and I’ve been trying to get web dev internship but the thing hard small so I’ve decided to focus on learning my JS and move to react when I’m very good with JS.

I have some domain names that I’m presently developing websites for just to build my portfolio so I can pay for hosting and host them and start applying for junior developer roles when I’m good enough with react.

I would like to know your thoughts on this boss, wouldn’t mind if I can be mentored by you also
Nice. Also on the same journey too. My intention is to start building sites when I'm done with react

1 Like

Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by All4good: 7:41am On Jun 18, 2021
jesmond3945:
you have scared me, so no hope for engineers like me.

If you are opportuned to study Engineering please finish your studies with at least a 2-2 and get a job to build/ acquire practical experience. But let me say that Civil and Electrical Engr will be my advice to any youngster. You can't go wrong with those two courses. They can take you anywhere at a short notice and their demand cuts across various sectors /industries.
As a Civil Engineer with over 20 years, I can tell you that at times I could be 5 years without a formal job and then an opportunity comes seeking me out (as I wasn't even looking) and what I acquire/ earn within a year is far more than what some oil company staff earn in 3 years. But this is only possible if you got some good practical experience throwing yourself into the job to gain as much experience in your early career stage.

That said there are still too many opportunities in the engineering field for someone actively searching. You can look at other developing African countries like Rwanda or Ethiopia. Engineers find jobs where there are active developments and reconstruction. Nigeria is largely stagnant at the moment, reason why there is a lack of job. But at soon as the senseless political issues are dealt with, massive development will start, foreign direct investment will peak and if there are No Nigerian Engineers to fill the openings, Indians will come to the rescue as usual.
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:53am On Jun 18, 2021
All4good:

If you are opportuned to study Engineering please finish your studies with at least a 2-2 and get a job to build/ acquire practical experience. But let me say that Civil and Electrical Engr will be my advice to any youngster. You can't go wrong with those two courses. They can take you anywhere at a short notice and their demand cuts across various sectors /industries.
As a Civil Engineer with over 20 years, I can tell you that at times I could be 5 years without a formal job and then an opportunity comes seeking me out (as I wasn't even looking) and what I acquire/ earn within a year is far more than what some oil company staff earn in 3 years. But this is only possible if you got some good practical experience throwing yourself into the job to gain as much experience in your early career stage.

That said there are still too many opportunities in the engineering field for someone actively searching. You can look at other developing African countries like Rwanda or Ethiopia. Engineers find jobs where there are active developments and reconstruction. Nigeria is largely stagnant at the moment, reason why there is a lack of job. But at soon as the senseless political issues are dealt with, massive development will start, foreign direct investment will peak and if there are No Nigerian Engineers to fill the openings, Indians will come to the rescue as usual.
Civil engineering ke. Omho you wicked o and to work abroad seriously who gives work visa to engineers. How many engineers do you know from Nigeria that have gotten a work visa to any developed nation. Those visas are only reserver for tech workers or people in healthcare. Electrical is good sha as it still encompasses the tech industry (embedded systems) but civil is useless.

The major civil engineering companies in Nigeria aren't even recruiting except you want to work for one man firms earning 30k (60 USD) every month. It doesn't guarantee shit even after all the experience.

4 Likes

Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by All4good: 9:35am On Jun 18, 2021
Dhavido:

Better you seek free hosting methods otherwise that your site will be offline while being displayed in your portfolio except you plan to buy 5 year plans at a go.

1 Like

Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by Dhavido(m): 9:41am On Jun 18, 2021
All4good:

Better you seek free hosting methods otherwise that your site will be offline while being displayed in your portfolio except you plan to buy 5 year plans at a go.

Thanks for the heads up. Are there any free hosting that’ll display just the url of my site?
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by All4good: 9:42am On Jun 18, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Civil engineering ke. Omho you wicked o and to work abroad seriously who gives work visa to engineers. How many engineers do you know from Nigeria that have gotten a work visa to any developed nation. Those visas are only reserver for tech workers or people in healthcare. Electrical is good sha as it still encompasses the tech industry (embedded systems) but civil is useless.

The major civil engineering companies in Nigeria aren't even recruiting except you want to work for one man firms earning 30k (60 USD) every month. It doesn't guarantee shit even after all the experience.

Oga keep your mouth within your area of competence. If you read my comment /advice which you quoted at least you would have respected the fact that I was speaking from personal experience and still trying to be modest.
I barely seek opportunities as a Civil Engr. Opportunities come to me. And it's not peculiar as I also know lots of my senior colleague in the profession that experienced same.

2 Likes

Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by Dhavido(m): 9:44am On Jun 18, 2021
ClixMaster:
Nice. Also on the same journey too. My intention is to start building sites when I'm done with react

How has the journey been so far?
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by All4good: 9:54am On Jun 18, 2021
Dhavido:

Thanks for the heads up. Are there any free hosting that’ll display just the url of my site?
Yes all hosting (free or not) will display your domain name rather some generic url.
You control that action from your Domain name service provider.
Note that you will need to renew your domain ownership at about $9 annually which I suggest you do 3 years plan if you have a good name you don't want to lose and ensure you link your best email to the DNS to ensure you see the renewal reminders.
Many websites I designed in the past that I use in my portfolio no longer display since the owners either lost the name or no longer renew hosting
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:56am On Jun 18, 2021
All4good:

Oga keep your mouth within your area of competence. If you read my comment /advice which you quoted at least you would have respected the fact that I was speaking from personal experience and still trying to be modest.
I barely seek opportunities as a Civil Engr. Opportunities come to me. And it's not peculiar as I also know lots of my senior colleague in the profession that experienced same.
Apologies that my first comment was condescending but I reread your first post only to discover you have 20 years experience. Oga you would be hot cake everywhere na. Engineering was still a good choice as of when you graduated. Even petroleum engineers with your years of experience are still being headhunted. I am talking about people who just recently graduated. Theres no chance to even get engineering experience. I also did an engineering course which was considered hotcake, acquired all possible professional certifications and when I graduated I applied to roughly 650 jobs. I didnt even get an interview talk less of job. The only job I managed to get after a year of applying was one that needed me to work for free for 5 years before I get employed and advanced professional certifications in my engineering field are above a million naira. My parents will still struggle to pay for such after they have struggled to pay my fees. It makes no sense na.

As for rwanda and ethiopia sir, dont be deceived o nothing is going on in those countries. They just have good PR. A friend ran there to eplore their tech industry and he ran back home immediately. This is the number of civil engineering jobs on linkedin for both countries. 1 in rwanda and 7 in ethiopia respectively. Local job sites of both countries have no jobs. Nigeria still has more jobs than they do

Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by All4good: 10:10am On Jun 18, 2021
Citygal:

Thank you boss. Web development is the focus. I’ve downloaded Visual Studio Code and tried my best to import python modules for my practice all to no avail, even watched YouTube for tutorials but it’s just not working. I’ve been advised to use pycharm which I’ve switched to now.

Visual Studio is good for running Command Line programs.
Pycharm, IDLE are for running your python codes. Download Pyroid3 or Compiler from playstore if you like coding on your phone.
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by All4good: 11:24am On Jun 18, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Apologies that my first comment was condescending but I reread your first post only to discover you have 20 years experience. Oga you would be hot cake everywhere na. Engineering was still a good choice as of when you graduated. Even petroleum engineers with your years of experience are still being headhunted. I am talking about people who just recently graduated. Theres no chance to even get engineering experience. I also did an engineering course which was considered hotcake, acquired all possible professional certifications and when I graduated I applied to roughly 650 jobs. I didnt even get an interview talk less of job. The only job I managed to get after a year of applying was one that needed me to work for free for 5 years before I get employed and advanced professional certifications in my engineering field are above a million naira. My parents will still struggle to pay for such after they have struggled to pay my fees. It makes no sense na.

As for rwanda and ethiopia sir, dont be deceived o nothing is going on in those countries. They just have good PR. A friend ran there to eplore their tech industry and he ran back home immediately. This is the number of civil engineering jobs on linkedin for both countries. 1 in rwanda and 7 in ethiopia respectively. Local job sites of both countries have no jobs. Nigeria still has more jobs than they do

My Oga, I beg you drop the 'sir' though am Anglican, I am not a knight yet. You are one of the few I enjoy reading their post when I come on Nairaland.
650 applications?? I apologize on behalf of the Nigerian system. But that said I know HR people in the UK that also advice people to throw in multiple applications in other to land a job. And some advice the 'Free intern' option for freshers trying to gain entry level openings.
Only a thief will ask you to do 5 years of Free work to get an opportunity for paid employment. In my time doing 7-5 in the oil industry, I frown at young graduates coming with certifications like HSE level 3 or PMI fresh out of Service. I tell them if I find you employable at the point in your career where you need those certifications, it's my responsibility as your Manager to enrol and PAY for you to obtain the certification. So what am I looking out for in a young graduate? YOUR CONFIDENCE in tackling the questions you are confronted with during the interview. For an experienced hire position, my interest will then be to verify that you actually have that experience which should naturally give you confidence.
Things were not so different 20 years ago. Though I was very 'fortunate' to serve (Corper) in Petroleum Trust Fund supervising road construction. Why did I put fortunate in quotes? I accepted the PTF posting over a place in Dowell Schlumberger. Why did I do such a stupid thing that the Personel manager of Dowell couldn't understand. I believed that I was better of in the long-term acquiring a RICH experience in my Civil career than a broad exposure in the oil industry.
A year or 2 later president Obasanjo comes in and 1st thing in office, he abolished PTF. So am out of job but with enough cash to setup a computer servicing business. So I am now cloning PCs, Typing Projects, doing Statistical analysis for final students. Nothing related to Civil Engineering but fun and interesting. So I had to start learning AutoCAD not to entirely fill like my 5 years in the University was a total waste.
Just when I was settling into the BIG money era of my business life as one of the pioneer of GSM in Nigeria; the opportunity came calling to get into CIVIL. Two opportunities dropped same month. One with a Consultancy firm and the other with an Oil company. Well it's an easy guess which, I grabbed. Every young man lives the parents dream so I joined the oil company because I was also handling Civil jobs, so in the short-term and long-term it was okay.
Why all the story. I had friends who were moving around from one oil company to the other submitting at least 2-3 CVs daily for more than 3 years. I know because they usually come to my business center to read my Tuesday and Thursday Guardian for job placements (the same newspapers I buy for computer parts prices, different folks, different strokes) . I got my 2 job opportunities ahead of most of them without dropping 1 CV anywhere. But I was active even doing free building plans for top guys who in return would be searching for opportunities for me without my knowledge.
So Bro, long story short, keep upgrading your skills and developing yourself and stop wasting your time and energy applying. Update your LinkedIn profile with your new Capabilities.
You can search out mediocre opportunities or at best land a Good opening, once in a decade but Great opportunities come to those who are ready.
That said, if you are still reading, PLEASE add Python to your stack. I know this is your area of evolving competence but take it from someone who regrets everyday for not embracing Python 10 years ago and JavaScript 15 years ago. WordPress is fantastic but needs a strong foundation in HTML and PHP.
If we (Africans) are going to be recognized in the technology industry we must be ready to drop our high ego and be ready to learn everyday and learn almost 'everything '. I follow your comments because you do a Great job studying what languages /tech that is relevant today (Trend). So my advice above is a friendly one and from observation spanning over 10years. I have seen languages come and fade over the past 30years. I used to write decent programs with BASIC.
So if Tech is your thing, which is Good, then Python, JavaScript, SQL, HTML should be your friend grin in addition to any others. Those have refused to stop being in the scheme of things.

3 Likes

Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:53am On Jun 18, 2021
All4good:

My Oga, I beg you drop the 'sir' though am Anglican, I am not a knight yet. You are one of the few I enjoy reading their post when I come on Nairaland.
650 applications?? I apologize on behalf of the Nigerian system. But that said I know HR people in the UK that also advice people to throw in multiple applications in other to land a job. And some advice the 'Free intern' option for freshers trying to gain entry level openings.
Only a thief will ask you to do 5 years of Free work to get an opportunity for paid employment. In my time doing 7-5 in the oil industry, I frown at young graduates coming with certifications like HSE level 3 or PMI fresh out of Service. I tell them if I find you employable at the point in your career where you need those certifications, it's my responsibility as your Manager to enrol and PAY for you to obtain the certification. So what am I looking out for in a young graduate? YOUR CONFIDENCE in tackling the questions you are confronted with during the interview. For an experienced hire position, my interest will then be to verify that you actually have that experience which should naturally give you confidence.
Things were not so different 20 years ago. Though I was very 'fortunate' to serve (Corper) in Petroleum Trust Fund supervising road construction. Why did I put fortunate in quotes? I accepted the PTF posting over a place in Dowell Schlumberger. Why did I do such a stupid thing that the Personel manager of Dowell couldn't understand. I believed that I was better of in the long-term acquiring a RICH experience in my Civil career than a broad exposure in the oil industry.
A year or 2 later president Obasanjo comes in and 1st thing in office, he abolished PTF. So am out of job but with enough cash to setup a computer servicing business. So I am now cloning PCs, Typing Projects, doing Statistical analysis for final students. Nothing related to Civil Engineering but fun and interesting. So I had to start learning AutoCAD not to entirely fill like my 5 years in the University was a total waste.
Just when I was settling into the BIG money era of my business life as one of the pioneer of GSM in Nigeria; the opportunity came calling to get into CIVIL. Two opportunities dropped same month. One with a Consultancy firm and the other with an Oil company. Well it's an easy guess which, I grabbed. Every young man lives the parents dream so I joined the oil company because I was also handling Civil jobs, so in the short-term and long-term it was okay.
Why all the story. I had friends who were moving around from one oil company to the other submitting at least 2-3 CVs daily for more than 3 years. I know because they usually come to my business center to read my Tuesday and Thursday Guardian for job placements (the same newspapers I buy for computer parts prices, different folks, different strokes) . I got my 2 job opportunities ahead of most of them without dropping 1 CV anywhere. But I was active even doing free building plans for top guys who in return would be searching for opportunities for me without my knowledge.
So Bro, long story short, keep upgrading your skills and developing yourself and stop wasting your time and energy applying. Update your LinkedIn profile with your new Capabilities.
You can search out mediocre opportunities or at best land a Good opening, once in a decade but Great opportunities come to those who are ready.
That said, if you are still reading, PLEASE add Python to your stack. I know this is your area of evolving competence but take it from someone who regrets everyday for not embracing Python 10 years ago and JavaScript 15 years ago. WordPress is fantastic but needs a strong foundation in HTML and PHP.
If we (Africans) are going to be recognized in the technology industry we must be ready to drop our high ego and be ready to learn everyday and learn almost 'everything '. I follow your comments because you do a Great job studying what languages /tech that is relevant today (Trend). So my advice above is a friendly one and from observation spanning over 10years. I have seen languages come and fade over the past 30years. I used to write decent programs with BASIC.
So if Tech is your thing, which is Good, then Python, JavaScript, SQL, HTML should be your friend grin in addition to any others. Those have refused to stop being in the scheme of things.
The 650 was worldwide o. What I used to do then was go country by country search the number of shipping companies and send unsolicited applications it was useless. As for Nigeria, I had a very nice shoe I bought when i graduated. I used to wear it with corporate shirts and trousers to job hunt in Apapa. That shoe spoilt because of job hunting. I dont think theres any shipping company in Nigeria that doesnt have a copy of my CV on file. As for wordpress, I do the deep stuff. Custom themes and plugins. I know PHP. I recently just built a website a wordpress website complete with custom themes and plugins for a conglomerate in the USA. The company does over 10 billion USD in revenue yearly and employs over 30000 people. I cant mention the name here or someone on my team can link it back to me.

Honestly tech to me is the only place I can advise Nigerians to go into and the best place to start especially if you are underprivileged is in the university. If you have no laptop, a lot of your colleagues will have and you can borrow or you can utilise any computer at your school labs which are mostly empty anyway. I wish I knew about this industry in the university. My free time at school was used in watching movies and playing video games. So annoying.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jun 18, 2021
Dhavido:

How has the journey been so far?
It's been nice and fun. Having this skill is my one and only New Year Resolution this year. I will rounding off JavaScript this month. The goal is WordPress proficiency. I must fulfill that by His grace. Amen
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by All4good: 7:44pm On Jun 18, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Honestly tech to me is the only place I can advise Nigerians to go into and the best place to start especially if you are underprivileged is in the university.

Tech is awesome, it created the world richest man (Bill Gates) for over a decade.
In the early 90s, Bill had to import Indians to rewrite his Windows 3.1 operating system and till this day Indians still hold sway in the Tech industry. What is their strategy? Therein lies our developmental goals if we hope to stay above fear of saturation.

1 Like

Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by LikeAking: 10:41pm On Jun 18, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
Of recent, whenever people try to learn web development, I see comments desisting the person and telling them the field is over saturated and they should try things like data science and machine learning.

I feel its hogwash. With regards to Nigeria, the field of web development is honestly a 7 year old career to be realistic. The tech industry didnt start gaining any waves till like 5 years ago when a lot of funding went to the industry alongside the huge paystack exit. As of 2013, how many programmers even existed in Nigeria. Things were so bad that when Andela launched, they were paying people to learn to code. I mean people were being paid to learn to code. 80k alongside a brand new MacBook alongside many other benefits. Most of the people who were smart enough to take advantage of such opportunities are out of the country now as senior or mid-level devs or running very successful tech startups in Nigeria eg the founder of Eden life.

So how is a 7-year-old thing saturated? Its like people think web development is all about downloading pirated WordPress themes and installing them and you can call it a day. There are so many parts of web development that there arent even any developers in Nigeria for. Like they dont even exist. Even the so called wordpress how many people dive into the deep end?

What a lot of people are yet to understand is that the internet as we all use it is less than 30 years old. Big tech giants controlling the globe today like Amazon, Google and Netflix are less than 28 years old. Imagine what will happen when the whole wide world has the same internet access that the west has. Imagine what will be built and who will build them? Web developers. Just look at india, Bangalore (india's sillicon valley) salaries are matching those of sillicon valley now. People are earning six figure dollar incomes. The same thing is going to happen in africa, I am not optimistic about the continent sha and with the advent of remote work, your location does not stop you from earning a good income. A lot of sillicon valley startups are removing location based pay. So if you in Nigeria manage to get job with them you will be earning the same thing with your counterparts there. Imagine earning 150k USD a year in one village in osun state.

If people want to see saturation they should talk about engineering. Fields like Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical and petroleum engineering. Jobs dont exist in this fields now. Things are so bad that even with a very good first class, its still very tough getting a job except you want to go and do a Masters and PHD and end up lecturing. What of the field of law, teaching? Web developers can work anywhere in the world. Aside remotely, a lot of visa sponsorship jobs exist catering to web developers. You cant get this in engineering.

We can also take a look at linkedin jobs. I will post the picture of petroleum engineering a supposedly hotcake engineering field which a lot of people are dying for and believe in getting a big oil company job and just wordpress which a ton of people hate. Petroleum engineering has just 2000 available vacancies worldwide with most jobs having over 50 applicants while wordpress has over 30000 vacancies online. Wordpress is like the lowest hanging fruit in just web development. If I start to mention the gazillion amount of jobs in other places eh lipsrsealed

Please web development is not saturated at all. That is a lie.

Oga mention all the gazzilion jobs .
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by ibromodzi: 5:10pm On Jun 20, 2021
walyx:

Pls can i mail u ?

No problem
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by walyx(m): 7:33pm On Jun 20, 2021
ibromodzi:

No problem
Sent u mail but u haven't reply from

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Mr. Alex Brute Force Software Is A Scam! Do Not Buy!! / Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? / Will You Choose Your Girlfriend Over Your Computer?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.