Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,819 members, 7,806,304 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:25 PM

The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. - Programming (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. (17024 Views)

Introduction To Web 3.0 / How to add images to web pages with coding / How to code buttons to web pages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by Clefayomide: 11:32pm On Oct 29, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

I know its unbelievable but this happens in a lot of Nigerian tech firms. Once they see its a woman or hear a womans voice during the initial interview they reduce the standard just so they can have more women on the team. With foreign companies where no one can see your face or hear your voice till interview stages the standard is the same but in Nigerian tech its absolutely different. You even see recruitments with warnings like more preference will be given to women and shit here in Nigeria.

Not to sound misogynistic but I've seen this in many tech job ads and it's quite disgusting and unfair to the male gender. I mean!! Put out a fair interview process and give the best candidate the job, which one is more preference to women arrggh
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by Clefayomide: 11:49pm On Oct 29, 2021
airsaylongcome:

So a tech Nigerian firm will hire someone (female or otherwise) who doesn't know how to pop a stack, or how to evaluate Big O for an algorithm because of their gender? Are they developing real-life production ready software or they are hiring a student for a training program? Come on nau Tensa

And is the phrase "more preference will be given to women" only in Nigeria? Or you haven't seen foreign remote jobs that say the same? Or that preference will be given to minorities (blacks and Hispanics)? Really?

Here's part of a JD for a job opening in the US

As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we encourage veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and all minorities to consider our employment opportunities.

First of all, women shouldn't be on this list. That list comprises of individuals with differences and circumstances. What differences/circumstances are you faced with for being just a woman ?

And how about "As an equal opportunity employer we encourage every individuals from different background, race, individuals with disabilities, minors, to consider our employment opportunities" ?

Only dog, cat, and women are loved unconditional. It's really tough being a man lmao
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:03am On Oct 30, 2021
Clefayomide:

Fr! Women in tech are really beginning to find it much easier. Couple of female friends in tech have changed jobs over the years while the guys I know are really struggling to get their first Job and it's not like they're not good. Idk if the whole trend about getting more women into tech is really making it hard to see that the male techies also need help too. Alot of female bootcamps out there, not a single one for males ( this gender has always been positioned to figure things out themselves). About the marriage part me I no know o hahaha
She code camp shared laptop to all their members. Boy are on nairaland crying for laptop. Coding on phone. Coding on 30k laptop suffering and fighting to escape poverty no help from anywhere. Once you realise as a man that you are alone in this world that is when you have waken up.

3 Likes

Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by airsaylongcome: 2:12am On Oct 30, 2021
Clefayomide:

First of all, women shouldn't be on this list. That list comprises of individuals with differences and circumstances. What differences/circumstances are you faced with for being just a woman ?

And how about "As an equal opportunity employer we encourage every individuals from different background, race, individuals with disabilities, minors, to consider our employment opportunities" ?

Only dog, cat, and women are loved unconditional. It's really tough being a man lmao

Myriad! How many women are in today's boardrooms? How many men suffer glass ceiling syndrome compared to the number of women that do?

I hope you don't plan to make this comment working for a foreign company that what circumstances do women face for being a woman. Not only will you be labelled a misogynist, you will be fired. Affirmative Action does not mean hiring incompetent whether male or female.
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by airsaylongcome: 2:14am On Oct 30, 2021
Clefayomide:

Not to sound misogynistic but I've seen this in many tech job ads and it's quite disgusting and unfair to the male gender. I mean!! Put out a fair interview process and give the best candidate the job, which one is more preference to women arrggh

What would white people say when they see job roles that say preference will be given to minorities and people of colour? Why not put out a fair interview process and give the best candidate the job, which one is preference to minorities and people of colour?
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by genaro2000(m): 4:23am On Oct 30, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

She code camp shared laptop to all their members. Boy are on nairaland crying for laptop. Coding on phone. Coding on 30k laptop suffering and fighting to escape poverty no help from anywhere. Once you realise as a man that you are alone in this world that is when you have waken up.
Hmmm Word
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by genaro2000(m): 4:26am On Oct 30, 2021
Clefayomide:

This is what we are talking about
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by tosinhtml: 9:25am On Oct 30, 2021
BRATISLAVA:
It appears inclusion is misconstrued as favoring women in tech. Women are qualified for those roles.

The guy who said he was interning and the two CS grads took over more prominent roles, would you have the same objections if it were males with connections under the same circumstances?

How do you know if recruitment would've screened men differently? Are you part of the recruitment team and have some unique insights for us?

I asked how recruitment waters down things for women and got no response. I was hoping we could all learn something new. Rather than a response, there are more posts claiming things that sound more like personal opinions than fact. Have any of you interviewed women in tech to know what their competency and recruitment scrutiny was like in relation to their roles? No response?

It defies logic for a company to hire two unproductive staff who do fairly important work, because they are females.

Anyway, the testosterone in here is stifling.

Hiring and interviews are watered down for women in US tech market and some newly Nigerian tech markets, especially women of color, Muslim women or women who are in the marginalized groups like LGBTQ etc. This watered down approach is something i support fully and i believe is for the good of everyone.

Why do I say it's for the good of everyone?

According to Clement Mihailescu of AlgoExpert. Software engineering is not only about being a coding wizard, there are other qualities like team management, communication, timeliness and treating marginalized people with fairness etc.

Some women naturally posses some of these qualities than men and if a woman is in your team, there will be more cohesiveness. Everyone will start acting friendly which is good. At least according to my personal experience with my US company.

It defies logic for a company to hire two unproductive staff who do fairly important work, because they are females.

About this, watering down also doesn't mean she is dumb, because she must have passed the minimum mark to be amongst the finalist of the interview. The issue is when making the final decision, her being a woman is a plus for an existing male dominated team full of egoistic teammates, she will make the place better.

It's not all about Men vs Women, at least this is not about Men testosterone talk.

If you want specific details of how interviews are watered down for women, i can give you.

Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by BRATISLAVA: 9:42am On Oct 30, 2021
tosinhtml:

Hiring and interviews are watered down for women in US tech market and some newly Nigerian tech markets, especially women of color, Muslim women or women who are in the marginalized groups like LGBTQ etc. This watered down approach is something i support fully and i believe is for the good of everyone.

If you say it's watered down, then it is. You are right.

Women are unqualified and should not ordinarily be given inclusion in tech, likewise other minorities. Every woman in tech is there just because she's a woman. Standards were thrown in the bin for her sake. Women are employed for supposed emotional benefits, because all women make stuffy men groups more lovely. Otherwise they are incapable of anything in tech.

Says only contributions from one end.

Well, you've tried to look down from the condescending men's podium to at least answer one of the questions. There's less testosterone talking and more sense to it.

Go ahead and tell us how everything in tech is watered down for women. We'd all appreciate that unique recruitment insight.

And if it's inclusion we are still talking about, let it not be called watering down but its true name.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by airsaylongcome: 10:15am On Oct 30, 2021
tosinhtml:

When you say watered down can you explain? A man would be expected to know the nitty-gritty of DSA but a woman would be fine just knowing how to write system.out.println(Hello World)?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:18am On Oct 30, 2021
airsaylongcome:

When you say watered down can you explain? A man would be expected to know the nitty-gritty of DSA but a woman would be fine just knowing how to write system.out.println(Hello World)?
A woman will be given two sum questions like the first question on leetcode that practically everyone in the coding world has solved and a man will be given some really difficult stupid shit like the airport graph question which qualifies as a leetcode super hard. It doesn't even matter if you are a junior developer. Solve away.

Besides even if you look on leetcode it's all guys. At programming competitions with DSA it's all guys. At the international Olympiads for informatics a woman has never been amongst the top 50 ever since it was established. The standards are greatly reduce when hiring women If it was the same it would be impossible to get women in and even when women are in guys do more work than the women. I am not being misogynistic I am just saying it as it is.

3 Likes

Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by airsaylongcome: 10:28am On Oct 30, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

A woman will be given two sum questions like the first question on leetcode that practically everyone in the coding world has solved and a man will be given some really difficult stupid shit like the airport graph question which qualifies as a leetcode super hard. It doesn't even matter if you are a junior developer. Solve away.

Besides even if you look on leetcode it's all guys. At programming competitions with DSA it's all guys. At the international Olympiads for informatics a woman has never been amongst the top 50 ever since it was established. The standards are greatly reduce when hiring women If it was the same it would be impossible to get women in and even when women are in guys do more work than the women. I am not being misogynistic I am just saying it as it is.

You know what, you are right
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by GeneralDae: 10:38am On Oct 30, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

It's not really about a man being alone in this world though. I think the idea is to encourage more of the women folks. The thing is women have been discriminated for centuries and seen as the property of men and as people who can't be as smart as men. So giving free laptops to women is to encourage more women into tech so as to dispel those barbaric notions in society. It is possible that we are missing out a lot from not having so many women in IT.

The last time I checked, men have had it easier in so many other ways and have not been so underrated in history due to their gender like the women have.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:41am On Oct 30, 2021
GeneralDae:

It's not really about a man being alone in this world though. I think the idea is to encourage more of the women folks. The thing is women have been discriminated for the centuries and seen as the property of men and people who can't be as smart as men. So giving free laptops to women is to encourage more women into tech so as to dispel those barbaric notions in society. It is possible that we are missing out a lot from not having so many women in IT.

The last time I checked, men have had it easier in so many other ways and have not been so underrated in history due to their gender like the women have.
I find it hogwash I am all for encouraging women but there are a lot of poor men folk in Nigeria honestly with regards to Nigeria even outside tech women have it so much easier than men. Even when it comes to getting a job how many women are unemployed compared to men. Having a lot more unemployed males is more dangerous for the society than women. See the bandits, boko haram, herdsmen, cultists and armed robbers we are are breeding in Nigeria. The number will increase exponentially in the coming years as men get fewer opportunities.

3 Likes

Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by Nobody: 10:41am On Oct 30, 2021
airsaylongcome:

You know what, you are right
Oga shut up and learn. No dey argue nonsense here.
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:43am On Oct 30, 2021
Kellzzyy:

Oh come on you don't have to be insulting.
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by airsaylongcome: 10:46am On Oct 30, 2021
Kellzzyy:

Okay. Definitely looking forward to learn about IT from a medicine seller
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by Clefayomide: 11:10am On Oct 30, 2021
GeneralDae:

It's not really about a man being alone in this world though. I think the idea is to encourage more of the women folks. The thing is women have been discriminated for centuries and seen as the property of men and as people who can't be as smart as men. So giving free laptops to women is to encourage more women into tech so as to dispel those barbaric notions in society. It is possible that we are missing out a lot from not having so many women in IT.

I get your point and it's actually a beautiful thing to encourage more women into tech. But imho I think that trend has basically neglected the men in tech (at least the ones just starting out), we're lost in trying to get more women into tech and refused to see the other side of the coin which is the male gender. I've seen guys give up on tech to pursue another career due to the struggle and no little encouragement whatsoever. Have you ever heard about a male bootcamp or gadget giveaway strictly for males ? NO! There are also jobs where males are under represented, HR for instance, and not a single place have I seen "get more men into hr"
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by solidmyk(m): 11:15am On Oct 30, 2021
Kellzzyy:

cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by GeneralDae: 11:20am On Oct 30, 2021
Clefayomide:

I get your point and it's actually a beautiful thing to encourage more women into tech. But imho I think that trend has basically neglected the men in tech (at least the ones just starting out), we're lost in trying to get more women into tech and refused to see the other side of the coin which is the male gender. I've seen guys give up on tech to pursue another career due to the struggle and no little encouragement whatsoever. Have you ever heard about a male bootcamp or gadget giveaway strictly for males ? NO! There are also jobs where males are under represented, HR for instance, and not a single place have I seen "get more men into hr"
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by GeneralDae: 11:20am On Oct 30, 2021
[quote author=GeneralDae post=107187682][/quote]
It
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by GeneralDae: 11:24am On Oct 30, 2021
Clefayomide:

It is a fact that in tech, women are less interested than men generally and this could be due to cultural factors that make it seem like a man's job primarily. The idea then is to encourage more women and make them develop interest first and then we see from there. However, I get your point that it should be done in a more tactical manner and not at the expense of men who also crave for such opportunities.
For instance, I support opening more female IT training centres than we have to see if we can spark their interest, but when it comes to the job proper ( even for entry level jobs), I'd prefer no favouritism. Let the best from amongst the Male and female get the job, but let us do more to introduce tech to more females at the grassroot level because the gap between males and females in IT in terms of numbers is huge the world over and especially in Africa where cultural bias also plays a significant role.

2 Likes

Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by tosinhtml: 5:06pm On Oct 30, 2021
BRATISLAVA:

If you say it's watered down, then it is. You are right.

Women are unqualified and should not ordinarily be given inclusion in tech, likewise other minorities. Every woman in tech is there just because she's a woman. Standards were thrown in the bin for her sake. Women are employed for supposed emotional benefits, because all women make stuffy men groups more lovely. Otherwise they are incapable of anything in tech.

Says only contributions from one end.

Well, you've tried to look down from the condescending men's podium to at least answer one of the questions. There's less testosterone talking and more sense to it.

Go ahead and tell us how everything in tech is watered down for women. We'd all appreciate that unique recruitment insight.

And if it's inclusion we are still talking about, let it not be called watering down but its true name.

Please go back to my post and read again, i said the women most times get to the final round, and the decision on who to hire at the end may favour them because we already have so many males on the team and we need more females to join a team because they bring a different experience. Diversity is needed.

Your mind is just full of Men vs Women wars. This isn't romance section, nobody is fighting for male dominance here.

You can keep complaining about watering down, my work is to explain to you. Yours is to understand.

If you understand and keep ranting, no problem.

If you don't gerit, just forget abourit.

1 Like

Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by tosinhtml: 9:57pm On Oct 30, 2021
airsaylongcome:

NO.

There is always a required skill level that interviewers expect from you, usually when you pass that required level it means you are now competing with other candidates who are intelligent and have similar skills to you.

So if you are rejected at this stage, it would be because other candidates are better fit into the role than you are. Not for competency.

Now a team hiring for diversity will prefer to hire 2 ladies and 3 guys, it means the women would have less people to contend with, because few women apply for Development positions as compared to men. It's like 80/20.

It doesn't mean those women are dumb, they have already proved their competency by passing the required skill level initially.

PS: it's also a reason why some people do well in interviews and when the company doesn't give them an offer, they get confused. The reason is because there are more people to contend with for that position.
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by StupidDrunkard: 10:44pm On Oct 30, 2021
tosinhtml:

Please go back to my post and read again, i said the women most times get to the final round, and the decision on who to hire at the end may favour them because we already have so many males on the team and we need more females to join a team because they bring a different experience. Diversity is needed.

Your mind is just full of Men vs Women wars. This isn't romance section, nobody is fighting for male dominance here.

You can keep complaining about watering down, my work is to explain to you. Yours is to understand.

If you understand and keep ranting, no problem.

If you don't gerit, just forget abourit.
Bros please don’t waste your time replying her, most of her posts are anti-male gender,this is someone that says all males are attracted to kids sexually. Such a person can never see logical reasons with you. She seems to have an emotional problem with men and she’s bringing it to this beautiful and educative thread.
Please ignore her
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by Nobody: 3:44am On Oct 31, 2021
airsaylongcome:

Okay. Definitely looking forward to learn about IT from a medicine seller
Very degrading of you to think that pharmacists are medicine sellers.
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by Nobody: 3:55am On Oct 31, 2021
GeneralDae:

It is a fact that in tech, women are less interested than men generally and this could be due to cultural factors that make it seem like a man's job primarily. The idea then is to encourage more women and make them develop interest first and then we see from there. However, I get your point that it should be done in a more tactical manner and not at the expense of men who also crave for such opportunities.
For instance, I support opening more female IT training centres than we have, to see if we can spark their interest, but when it comes to the job proper ( even for entry level jobs), I'd prefer no favouritism. Let the best from amongst the Male and female get the job, but let us do more to introduce tech to more females at the grassroot level because the gap between males and females in IT in terms of numbers is huge the world over and especially in Africa where cultural bias also plays a significant role.

This doesn't really make any sense.
What steps have you taken to introduce more men into the nursing profession, where the gender disparity is high? What steps have you taken to introduce men into teaching profession, HR, and many others where the females far outnumber the males?

The idea of women only boot camps and other such things is nothing but plain discrimination.
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by airsaylongcome: 4:27am On Oct 31, 2021
Kellzzyy:

Very degrading of you to think that pharmacists are medicine sellers.

U come here to run your stinky mouth on an IT thread hurling insults at me and don't expect to get thrown in the mud? Like seriously? You ask me to, in your words "shut up and learn. No dey argue nonsense here." A medicine seller coming on an IT thread to tell an IT practitioner to "shut up and learn"? Take several seats kiddo. And give me 2 cups of agbo jedi while you are at it.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by GeneralDae: 6:23am On Oct 31, 2021
Kellzzyy:

This doesn't really make any sense.
What steps have you taken to introduce more men into the nursing profession, where the gender disparity is high? What steps have you taken to introduce men into teaching profession, HR, and many others where the females far outnumber the males?

The idea of women only boot camps and other such things is nothing but plain discrimination.
Except that tech is not Nursing and Teaching. It is one of the most deep and diverse areas with so many segments ( Data analysis, Web development, A.I, Networking, Salesforce development, Database Administration, etc).
Tech (especially Data Science the new oil) can also be combined or adopted to almost any other profession.
Hence comparing tech to stand alone, specific professions like Nursing and Teaching is simplistic. Tech is both art and science and it is the core of the Digital 21st century meant to be combined with many other professions taking them to other dimensions in this century.

2 Likes

Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by Clefayomide: 1:33pm On Oct 31, 2021
GeneralDae:

Except that tech is not Nursing and Teaching. It is one of the most deep and diverse areas with so many segments ( Data analysis, Web development, A.I, Networking, Salesforce development, Database Administration, etc).
Tech (especially Data Science the new oil) can also be combined or adopted to almost any other profession.
Hence comparing tech to stand alone, specific professions like Nursing and Teaching is simplistic. Tech is both art and science and it is the core of the Digital 21st century meant to be combined with many other professions taking them to other dimensions in this century.

Do you know about the different segments of nursing and teaching ? Those terms are just a general name to refer to anyone practicing any aspect of it. You think teaching is just about carrying chalk up and down ?. Both profession are very broad, tech encompasses every profession that's what makes it stand out. Lol calling nursing and teaching standalone profession is just like saying finance is also a standalone profession meanwhile there are tons of segments in finance. And please teaching is also art and science!

2 Likes

Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by Nobody: 3:18pm On Oct 31, 2021
airsaylongcome:

U come here to run your stinky mouth on an IT thread hauling insults at me and don't expect to get thrown in the mud? Like seriously? You ask me to, in your words "shut up and learn. No dey argue nonsense here." A medicine seller coming on an IT thread to tell an IT practitioner to "shut up and learn"? Take several seats kiddo. And give me 2 cups of agbo jedi while you are at it.
Lol.. No wam
Re: The Myth Of Saturation With Regards To Web Development. by BRATISLAVA: 7:25am On Nov 01, 2021
StupidDrunkard:

Bros please don’t waste your time replying her, most of her posts are anti-male gender,this is someone that says all males are attracted to kids sexually. Such a person can never see logical reasons with you. She seems to have an emotional problem with men and she’s bringing it to this beautiful and educative thread.
Please ignore her

More diversions.

And from the o.losho beer parlor to boot.

Be so kind and post where I said all males are attracted to kids sexually, and I will repost some of the things the strongest voices that claim women are preferentially treated in tech dropped. Most of the people saying it are anti-female/misogynists going by their posts.

This thread has become a whining pot for men.

Guys are suffering in tech! Boohoo. Why wouldn't they be looking for laptops when the ratio of men in tech is way more than that of women? If you had the same number of women, they would also be looking for laptops. They are, but they are much fewer. Or wait, women get free laptops to get trained on all the time. Some of you have emotional problems with women.

Imagine a boys club in which women hired in tech only know the barest minimum, because it's too hard to believe they could actually know more than that.

Are we talking about the logic that only men are custodians of still? The logic that means only what men say about women in tech is real?

The only problem you have with inclusion is simply that the included people are women. If it were gays you wouldn't mind if they were recruited from Mars in place of you.

But you're right.

Do the ignoring thing. Truth hurts. After all, in your world, women are second class humans. Life is so unfair to men.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? / Can I Code With My Phone / Will You Choose Your Girlfriend Over Your Computer?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.