Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:21 AM

How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? (43171 Views)

Why Do Scammers Target Older People? / Why Do Scammers Ask For Itunes Gift Cards? / What Happens When Scammers Get Your BVN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by Cutezt(m): 9:57am On May 22, 2021
So I was sleeping on my own jejely this morning when a call woke me up from a number ‪09135806427‬, the man behind the line said he was calling me from my bank, Access Bank, and asked if I received a text from the bank asking me to upgrade my date of birth on the BVN, I was surprised but I said no, so he said I was asked to go update it from my bank or my account will be blocked and as it is now, my account is inactive until I reactivate it. For a moment, I thought it was true, since I did my BVN a long time ago, the staff there made an error in my year of birth, subtracting a year from it, and it affected me for sometime until I rectified it 3 years ago, so I listened carefully, the man gave me the 2 day, month, and year of births that was linked to my account (both the old and updated), asking me which was the correct one, and since I know they can't do anything with my date of birth, I told him the correct one.

He was speaking in a very professional tone with very good accents and all, he apologized for the error and I said he should not worry, now here is what I was waiting for, asking for details of my card, he said I should check my ATM card and I will see some numbers, he called the correct first and last 4 digits of my card, and asked me to provide the rest as that was my confirmation digit, that was when I smiled and knew this guy was an idiot. So I took the 2 other ATM cards of my Sterling and Wema Bank, and started mixing up the digits, I will pick 2 from sterling and 2 from Wema and called them out to him, while at the same time, retaining the numbers he got correctly already, the man was confused as I could hear from my end that he was on a PC as he typed and typed but the numbers were not correct, he asked me to call it over and over again, and I still called out the same numbers to him, so he did not understand what was going on until he got tired and switched to pidgin after spending about 18 minutes on phone, he started saying that I was trying to play with him and he was only helping out, and my account will be blocked, so I said, is a bank staff supposed to be speaking in that manner, or even pidgin at all while on official duty? He apologized and asked me to call it again, I called same numbers to him, but as I could hear his frustration from my end, I was seriously trying to holdout the laughter but couldn't, that was when I burst out and started laughing, and the idiot knew that this was no "white man, " switched back to pidgin and started insults, and trust me, I returned them immediately, pressed down, shaking together and running over.

But this leads me to the question, this guy knew very private details about my account, something that no one else knows apart from my bank, so I ask, HOW DO THESE SCAMMERS GET OUR DETAILS?

This man called my exact old house address, does that mean if I were to be assassinated and I still stayed in the old house, getting my details for the operation will be that easy?

it is a pressing question that really requires answers.

This can't just be swept under the carpet every time, questions needs to be asked.

433 Likes 35 Shares

Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by helinues: 9:58am On May 22, 2021
angry

Old bank staffs.......Insider work

465 Likes 31 Shares

Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by johnmartus(m): 10:05am On May 22, 2021
That's bank staff go there on Monday and talk sense to their head.

103 Likes 9 Shares

Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by SportsHD: 10:07am On May 22, 2021
Old bank staffs selling our database.
But no one cares. The police are busy chasing ugm and bandits the government created and sponsored.

266 Likes 8 Shares

Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by GuyWise101(m): 10:18am On May 22, 2021
Nna mehnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

May be an old bank staff who was sacked because of same issue so he decided to continue from where he stopped, he may possibly successfully scam some novice bankers.

He should be caught and sent to jail.

96 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by Naughtysex: 10:23am On May 22, 2021
Bank staffs sell out customer's details to their partners in crime

87 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by tripplephi: 10:33am On May 22, 2021
Calm down, they have girlfriends, brothers, paddy inside the bank or they may have been former staff or even present staff... Nigeria has no check system for such thing UNTIL IT GETS OUT OF HAND.

Bro have you not heard that soon they will know your IMEI... meaning, your location and can hear your conversations... FULL SCALE MONITORINGS o.

92 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by Cutezt(m): 10:39am On May 22, 2021
tripplephi:

Calm down, they have girlfriends, brothers, paddy inside the bank or they may have been former staff or even present staff... Nigeria has no check system for such thing UNTIL IT GETS OUT OF HAND.

Bro have you not heard that soon they will know your IMEI... meaning, your location and can hear your conversations... FULL SCALE MONITORINGS o.

They are wasting their time, even NIN I no get sef, na IMEI I go come give them?

Bunch of jokers

80 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by Bossontop(m): 10:54am On May 22, 2021
Na in collabo with d bank staff dem dey do am na

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by Nathaniel111(m): 11:16am On May 22, 2021
They are bank staffs. Infact they check your account balance before they give out your details.

One sent 100k to my acct 2018.
They first blocked my ATM card before the transfer..
I was sent a notification that my ATM has been disabled.

Buh i choose to ignor the text.
Hours later i received a credit alert of 100k on a raining afternoon.

Immediately i got the credit alrt, i quickly move the moni to my UBA acct using my first monie mobile app.

They had no choice than to call my phone with threats buh i ignored them and go straight my my bank.

173 Likes 11 Shares

Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by Nobody: 11:28am On May 22, 2021
Nathaniel111:
They are bank staffs. Infact they check your account balance before they give out your details.

One sent 100k to my acct 2018.
They first blocked my ATM card before the transfer..
I was sent a notification that my ATM has been disabled.

Buh i choose to ignor the text.
Hours later i received a credit alert of 100k on a raining afternoon.

Immediately i got the credit alrt, i quickly move the moni to my UBA acct using my first monie mobile app.

They had no choice than to call my phone with threats buh i ignored them and go straight my my bank.

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by Nwanna2588: 12:10pm On May 22, 2021
A brother out of shame is dying in silence after being duped by some fraudsters. They posed as a relative and duped him. He paid almost half a million to 4 account numbers they gave him. The four account numbers are all individual account and all their GSM numbers are out of reach now. Please learned colleagues help me to help him. How can one start a case like that? The deed has been done and it is now over a month. What is the right approach? Please I need a plurality of opinion from those that can help. You can save a soul

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by tripplephi: 3:24pm On May 22, 2021
Cutezt:

They are wasting their time, even NIN I no get sef, na IMEI I go come give them?

Bunch of jokers

Boss, they are violating our human rights by demanding it without our consent. Nigeria is not helping us

3 Likes

Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by eyenogoquiet(m): 9:01am On May 23, 2021
prompino, mancino, DanDInO. Sense wey de dat yur small head is your saving grace, you would also have created a post about how to get funds back.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by seandurse(m): 9:08am On May 23, 2021
wink
Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by Nobody: 11:07am On May 23, 2021
Ex bankers who may have noticed the activity in your account.

13 Likes

Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by HEAVEN4444: 4:39pm On May 26, 2021
cheesy
Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by GeneralPula: 4:39pm On May 26, 2021
I guess they do hack the bank..

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by Jesuschristus: 4:39pm On May 26, 2021
Apart from bank workers,watch out the kind of application or website u fill ur details, scammers also get it from there

93 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by WalkerMichael(m): 4:39pm On May 26, 2021
some staff of Nigerian banks sell out details.

8 Likes

Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by Offpoint1: 4:39pm On May 26, 2021
Please any Nairalander with Premium Freepik account? I want you to help me download something, it's urgent please... I'm willing to pay for your data

4 Likes

Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by Seniorwriter(m): 4:40pm On May 26, 2021
Laughable.
I wonder why they use their interactive skills to indulge in scam or fraudulent acts when they can successfully use it for positive activities online for daily earnings.

@SeniorWriter

8 Likes

Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by dake40(m): 4:40pm On May 26, 2021
There is something called "Lead generation"

To generate a lead means to get ones info like email, phone, name etc for marketing purposes

People ignorantly drop emails and contacts without knowing the implications. Yes, its just phone number, but there are people who scrape and sell leads. For example, someone create a thread, asking people to drop number for something, maybe sure bet odds. You might not know you are selling out your lead [info], lead generator will scrape it for further cold mailing or sell your lead to companies that need them, yes. You heard that right, some companies pay for it.

Some apps, bank staffs sell leads too..

This is very bad

84 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by Teewhy2: 4:40pm On May 26, 2021
grin grin grin
Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by NaijaOlosho(f): 4:40pm On May 26, 2021
grin

2 Likes

Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by Nobody: 4:40pm On May 26, 2021
Me, if someone calls me saying I need to upgrade BVN, or whatever....I terminate the call...and go to my nearest bank branch to sort things out.

If you have account issues...don't do it online...GO TO YOUR BANK.

Thank you

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by RedChiefPriest: 4:40pm On May 26, 2021
If some of these scammers start dying young or get crushed by trailer on the road people will be quick to put blame on God,on driver and on the government not knowing how they have made some people shed bitter tears.

Unfortunate bastards

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by DropsMic(m): 4:40pm On May 26, 2021
Bankers

1 Like

Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by edimalo(m): 4:40pm On May 26, 2021
embarassed undecided
Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by Factfinder1(m): 4:40pm On May 26, 2021
Laid off workers

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

20-Year-Old Caught With Cannabis Hidden In Bread (Photo) / Lady Beaten Mercilessly By Neighbourhood Security Men in Enugu Over N1000 (Pix) / Aig’s Driver Arrested For Armed Robbery (PICTURE)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.