Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:04 AM

How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? - Crime (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? (43170 Views)

Why Do Scammers Target Older People? / Why Do Scammers Ask For Itunes Gift Cards? / What Happens When Scammers Get Your BVN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by Ghast12: 9:31pm On May 26, 2021
Scraping
Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by zoezoelogistics(m): 9:37pm On May 26, 2021
Goldenfinger5:
IS FIXED TIPS ARENA/ALVES QUEROS ON TELEGRAM REAL OR SCAM?

Plz nairalanders should help me so I don't loose my money to scam(sorry for the long read)

I saw this fixed match channel on telegram - FIXED TIPS ARENA with one Alves Queros as the admin of the channel. They have a following of about 440,000 on telegram which really caught my attention.
I'm quite skeptical with things like that being a Nigerian but I just felt I should give it a try and then I felt someone may know a thing or two about the channel.
Check them out on telegram via this link:

/fixed_tipsarena

They charge about 121€ for their games and the winning tickets looks real.
Everything in the channel looks legit but I have my reservations cos I've been scammed a few times.

I really want to know if anyone have had anything to do with them or succeeded with their fixed games.

NB: I'm not trying to advertise the channel and can never do that. I only brought this to Nairaland because it's a place of unlimited information and people with so much experience.

From the 440,000 followers of the channel, I know they must have a good percentage as Nigerians

Pls help me check the channel and comment, cos you may see what I may not see cause of greed that have blocked my eyes.

Insults are not permitted here. It's just an enquiry

If it can make front page, I will really appreciate.

Thanks

Someone should say something pls

Be very wary and careful of telegram people/deals.
Drop your contacts let's talk, i might have something for you.
Not compulsory tho,
Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by Cutezt(m): 9:55pm On May 26, 2021
NewDelhi:

Cc helinues johnmartus. Not really old bank staffs. The dude must have used his bvn to register on some apps. He might have tried making some payments into platforms operating on fake payment gateways. They get his details from these petty things.

Nahh, I have never inputted my bvn anywhere cos I know how important it is.
Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by Konel90: 11:19pm On May 26, 2021
Do you guys really want to know where these guys get your details it’s a bank app from the new generation bank you want to know the bank ? And how your details come up
Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by Konel90: 11:24pm On May 26, 2021
I know all their secret revealing it here might get into the wrong hands... What you need to know is that they only know your name date of birth previous and the updated one they do not know the bank that you registered it from telling you the bank is a wild guess for the person calling because most people he might have called have been using one particular bank so he assumes yours is not different All na trick las las
Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by vickydevoka(m): 12:14am On May 27, 2021
Lazynigerian1:
Me, if someone calls me saying I need to upgrade BVN, or whatever....I terminate the call...and go to my nearest bank branch to sort things out.

If you have account issues...don't do it online...GO TO YOUR BANK.

Thank you
No body can use bvn to withdraw money in dis world. De can only use ur bvn to get all ur details n de bank u use. Buh u see that ATM . It's very very delicate. Don't joke with it. People use paystack to whipe people's account with ATM. N there are other site that doesn't require otp.
Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by careidon: 12:35am On May 27, 2021
Most folks are overlooking the easiest and obvious "weak point"
Am referring to
1. the useless hardcover register the banks keep openly for us to record what they could keep electronically!
2. Am not sure if they shred their waste as a policy too. Have seen cleaners move papers that should have been shredded many times.

See, some people make the their honey pot to mine data.
A friend came back from just collecting a new ATM card and was wondering how a number not linked to his account was used to reach him, till I pointed out the register thing to him...

LET'S INSIST THE BANKS REMOVE IT FROM WHERE THEY KEEP IT OPENNED.
Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by Happyfela(m): 12:49am On May 27, 2021
I got a call too today. I just opened a UBA acc on Monday

1 Like

Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by pweeryambre: 2:55am On May 27, 2021
Happyfela:
I got a call too today. I just opened a UBA acc on Monday
Same with my nanny, I just opened an fcmb account for a few months ago and yet to collect her ATM card and this man keeps calling her to go to bank to collect her ATM card, the next thing I know he is asking her to send money before I knew what was happening, she already sent 10k to the man, before I got hold of her phone to shout at the man.
Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by tonyenahoro(m): 5:39am On May 27, 2021
Hello guys
this is a very sensitive topic....please lets be wise..
When ever a fraudstar calls you don't be too quick to talk allow him do all the talking why you affirm or disagree...don't answer any irrelivant questions...
Please know this and be smart if they are to update your bvn it can only be done in the bank and with your presence....

Again bvn is not a banks platform but a Nigerian platform and it has obviously being accessed by banks, nin centers as it's thier site, other relevant vendors people that give loans, and all that...
And what's on your bvn is not actually a secret neither is the no...
Cozit contains your name, phone no, address and picxx...
If you get called by any fraudster you should ask security questions like what was my last two transactions....
He also can't confirm its you by asking for uratm details or no...he shud ask you about your previous transactions....

Know this and know peace...
Thanks.... I tell you banks and banker can not give out any details cozitwill be traced back to them...even ex bankers don't have ur details...
Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by macrodata(m): 6:17am On May 27, 2021
Offpoint1:

It's AI file, i've sent you a message on telegram, it's showing your last seen a month ago.

I'll drop a whatsapp number you can reach me 080********

Please edit this number before quoting
I've replied you on Telegram. Please send the link to the file so I can identify it
Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by voyy: 6:33am On May 27, 2021
Access bank hads been leaking our info to this third patty guys recently, your money is not safe with access bank.
Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by Offpoint1: 6:34am On May 27, 2021
macrodata:
I've replied you on Telegram. Please send the link to the file so I can identify it
Thanks, please kindly edit the phone number out from the previous quote, it's not my line I don't want it on public... Thanks
Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by Nobody: 6:51am On May 27, 2021
Cutezt:
So I was sleeping on my own jejely this morning when a call woke me up from a number ‪09135806427‬, the man behind the line said he was calling me from my bank, Access Bank, and asked if I received a text from the bank asking me to upgrade my date of birth on the BVN, I was surprised but I said no, so he said I was asked to go update it from my bank or my account will be blocked and as it is now, my account is inactive until I reactivate it. For a moment, I thought it was true, since I did my BVN a long time ago, the staff there made an error in my year of birth, subtracting a year from it, and it affected me for sometime until I rectified it 3 years ago, so I listened carefully, the man gave me the 2 day, month, and year of births that was linked to my account (both the old and updated), asking me which was the correct one, and since I know they can't do anything with my date of birth, I told him the correct one.

He was speaking in a very professional tone with very good accents and all, he apologized for the error and I said he should not worry, now here is what I was waiting for, asking for details of my card, he said I should check my ATM card and I will see some numbers, he called the correct first and last 4 digits of my card, and asked me to provide the rest as that was my confirmation digit, that was when I smiled and knew this guy was an idiot. So I took the 2 other ATM cards of my Sterling and Wema Bank, and started mixing up the digits, I will pick 2 from sterling and 2 from Wema and called them out to him, while at the same time, retaining the numbers he got correctly already, the man was confused as I could hear from my end that he was on a PC as he typed and typed but the numbers were not correct, he asked me to call it over and over again, and I still called out the same numbers to him, so he did not understand what was going on until he got tired and switched to pidgin after spending about 18 minutes on phone, he started saying that I was trying to play with him and he was only helping out, and my account will be blocked, so I said, is a bank staff supposed to be speaking in that manner, or even pidgin at all while on official duty? He apologized and asked me to call it again, I called same numbers to him, but as I could hear his frustration from my end, I was seriously trying to holdout the laughter but couldn't, that was when I burst out and started laughing, and the idiot knew that this was no "white man, " switched back to pidgin and started insults, and trust me, I returned them immediately, pressed down, shaking together and running over.

But this leads me to the question, this guy knew very private details about my account, something that no one else knows apart from my bank, so I ask, HOW DO THESE SCAMMERS GET OUR DETAILS?

This man called my exact old house address, does that mean if I were to be assassinated and I still stayed in the old house, getting my details for the operation will be that easy?

it is a pressing question that really requires answers.

This can't just be swept under the carpet every time, questions needs to be asked.

The question should be who has a duty to protect your banking details apart from you?

By the express provision of our Law books, it is the bank's exclusive responsibility to ensure that your banking details are safe and secured.

The position of the law is clear that every bank owes its customers a fiduciary duty of care to ensure that their banking details are safe. The bank also owes its customers a quincecare duty of care to ensure its accounts are not used as engines of fraud by fraudsters.

Your duty, on the other hand, is to ensure you read your messages from the bank, as the banks are by law mandated to educate their customers about recent happenings in the banking industry, including the latest antics of fraudsters.

If you have been reading your email and text messages, you would have observed that the banks have repeatedly warned their customers not to disclose their banking details to any member of the public posing as its staff or agent. All transactions must be conducted in the banking hall or via other authorized channels.

Even mobile banking apps and web addresses are being cloned right now, so ensure you activate a second step authentication protocol on your email.

It will save you a lot of stress. If a fraudster has unauthorised access to your online banking details, he will not be able to access the OTP that will be sent to your email if he has your email login details.

This is because he will be required to activate a second login protocol, and the fraudster might not be able to complete the login protocol without your phone.

But once you did not disclose your banking details to an unknown third party, you need not worry about how the fraudsters gained access to your details.

The question should be, now that you know, do you have a right to take it up with the bank?

The answer is yes, of course, you have an absolute right to question your bank for putting you in a precarious position. The bank covenanted not to share your details with third parties, not even a call centre, a merchant or other banking services providers, without lawful authority. If it does, it shall be held liable. And this is the position of the law.

I must, also not fail to state that once you deposit your money in your bank account, it becomes the bank's money. And it is, therefore, the bank's duty to ensure it adequately secures the money as the customer has a legal right to take up the bank if a third party has unauthorised access to such funds.

1 Like

Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by unmask: 6:59am On May 27, 2021
helinues:
angry

Old bank staffs.......Insider work

you think it is banks that have your details? You know how many sites people input their data?

How many data breaches take place in Nigeria that are not reported?

It is very shortsighted to blame this on banks or bank staff.
Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by unmask: 6:59am On May 27, 2021
helinues:
angry

Old bank staffs.......Insider work

you think it is only banks that have your details? You know how many sites people input their data?

How many data breaches take place in Nigeria that are not reported?

It is very shortsighted to blame this on banks or bank staff.
Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by murmee: 7:33am On May 27, 2021
Tunapii:

Thanks a Bunch for this OP.
My issue is not even about scam, scam is everywhere This days, one just have to be extremely careful.
But my issue gangan is that "why is it always ACCESS Bank", I operate 3 Banks Acct (GTB, STANBIC, ACCESS) no scammer as ever called me regarding other Banks. But You see that Access Bank, there scammer calls me like every week.. That Bank seems a fraud Bank itself. Little wonder I stopped Transacting with the Bank����
Very bad advertisement for Access Bank. The bank should do something about this menace ASAP!
Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by murmee: 7:37am On May 27, 2021
loswhite:
How can you say it is mostly from access bank? Access bank has the largest customer base so it is normal to have more of that kind of complaint as compared a bank with less than 1 million customers.
Is it true that Access bank has the largest customer base?
Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by Goldenfinger5(m): 7:57am On May 27, 2021
zoezoelogistics:

Be very wary and careful of telegram people/deals. Drop your contacts let's talk, i might have something for you. Not compulsory tho,

prosperdrich@gmail.com
Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by w25d15w: 7:59am On May 27, 2021
From a researcher to a Whistle, the roles transition of Yan shows that the small scope but active overseas Chinese group and far-right groups with highly influence in US united to spread false information. The two groups saw opportunities to push their agenda in the COVID pandemic. For overseas Chinese, Yan and her remarks provide a sharp weapon for these who intend to overthrow the Chinese government. For conservative US, this could cater to the growing Anti-China sentiment in the West and distract attention from the failure of Trump government to respond to the epidemic.

Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by loswhite(m): 8:10am On May 27, 2021
murmee:
Is it true that Access bank has the largest customer base?
Yes
Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by Jagunlabiodua: 8:39am On May 27, 2021
I hate this local scammers, disgrace to the streets, go and scam Americans and Europeans, leave poor Nigerians alone, you are in this country you see how government is failing everyone yet you want to cripple them, Wicked country men
Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by Fantazy(m): 10:51am On May 27, 2021
97% of these scammers are either bank staff (old/current) or have some connections with a bank staff.

In general, bank staff are responsible for almost all the fraudulent activities as regards bank accounts today
Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by MeeLan: 11:50am On May 27, 2021
It wasn't yahoo boy. Na your bank staffs dey run am.
Nobody can even use your bvn to cash out your money without bank staff involved. The worst thief's are in the Bank as staffs who knows how to mask their ass
Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by zoezoelogistics(m): 3:12pm On May 27, 2021
Goldenfinger5:

prosperdrich@gmail.com
Sent you a mail
Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by macrodata(m): 6:43am On May 28, 2021
Offpoint1:

Thanks, please kindly edit the phone number out from the previous quote, it's not my line I don't want it on public... Thanks
Please see your Telegram
Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by Salowise: 10:53am On May 28, 2021
Those people don't hack your bank account or are old bank workers, from my observation they go through your Facebook profile or any of your social media account and get your details, and also use that your details to convince you. If they have access to your account, they don't have to call you, they'll just go straight and transfer funds from your account. They also don't know the name of your bank except they know you in person
Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by Mopolchi: 2:51pm On Dec 10, 2021
0813 995 8950 this number wanted to scam me. He is asking me to confirm my date of birth. Why?
Re: How Do Scammers Get Our Correct Details? by silibaba: 6:41pm On Dec 10, 2021
RedChiefPriest:
If some of these scammers start dying young or get crushed by trailer on the road people will be quick to put blame on God,on driver and on the government not knowing how they have made some people shed bitter tears.

Unfortunate bastards

Trailer can crush anyone, not only scanners.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

20-Year-Old Caught With Cannabis Hidden In Bread (Photo) / Lady Beaten Mercilessly By Neighbourhood Security Men in Enugu Over N1000 (Pix) / Aig’s Driver Arrested For Armed Robbery (PICTURE)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.