Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,777 members, 7,798,594 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:57 AM

Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone (28468 Views)

What Is The Cost Of A New SIM Card In Your Area? / Has Anyone Been Able To Buy A New SIM Card Since The Ban Was Lifted? / I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by Cnach: 4:27pm On May 23, 2021
MALIGNANTGuest:
Normal Experience in the United States & other countries.
U how u take know ?
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by collins07(m): 4:29pm On May 23, 2021
[quote author=Onyenna post=101964465]@Bankowner ....
That was how i bought an Etisalat line some years back and started getting credit alerts from two different banks i don’t use..... I was damn confused at first but then I realised someone else had used it before me. I even started getting messages from police officers. An officer once called me to congratulate me on my promotion to Inspector!!! I later stopped using the line though.....

Also, after my younger brother travelled to Canada, Mtn resold his line. Guess what?.... The new owner started recharging his line from my brother’s account. He was buying N10k credit. Sometimes N5k. My brother got several email alerts and later removed the line from his account.....this has been my worries with d NIN linkage,if u should travel abroad they would recycled ur line and ur NIN goes along to d new owner of d line.havr never heard where America govt asked her citizens to link SSN number to phone number.a lot of educated illiterate in govt than can't think beyond present.fully captured face with Bio data and finger print is enough to own a phone number.
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by Minjim: 4:30pm On May 23, 2021
Bankowner:
Nobody has used the SIM card you have, the number is a reassigned number that someone has relinquished and network operators are obligated to put these numbers back into use within 90 days.

That's the same scenario what a man that bought General Buhari's daughter's former sim. But the DSS didn't bother looking for any facts. They just locked him up for weeks

1 Like

Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by Nodogragra4me(m): 4:33pm On May 23, 2021
Fourteen90:
Good evening guys, something strange happened today. I got a message from one of this betting site that I had a coupon of 1,200 that is about to expire, but I couldn't remember playing a bet on that site. Out of curiousity I had to give it a try and see using the link attached to the SMS, surprisingly it was true. I actually used the coupon but I began to wonder and tried to remember at what time did I registered on that site, so I checked the transaction history and found an account number with a particular bank, only the last four digits of the account was displayed, the account is not mine and I don't get messages from the bank or any funny call(s) yet. At that point it dawned on me that someone had previously used the supposedly new SIM card that I bought and registered around last year ending.

So my point now is this, why did this particular network re-sell a SIM card that was previously used by another person? Who knows the kind of person that had previously used the SIM card. Please NCC needs to look into this matter, before someone will buy a SIM that was previously used by a criminal, kidnappers or terrorist

How did you sign in to the account or you did a password reset through the number
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by Fourteen90: 4:35pm On May 23, 2021
I did a password reset and OTP was sent to the number
Nodogragra4me:

How did you sign in to the account or you did a password reset through the number

1 Like

Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by Downey(f): 4:38pm On May 23, 2021
If you buy Boko haram Sim na you know ooo
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by Bishopwizzy(m): 4:42pm On May 23, 2021
It's like you logged someone's google mail in your phone. Those contacts could be the persons contact from the email.
TVTKOKO:
Presently going through similar problem.
The sim I've been using all my life just all of a sudden started storing strange contacts.
Detected it when i was using Whatsapp. I wanted to limit my status views and then boom!i began to see strange contacts i never stored!
Hmmm!!

2 Likes

Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by Ghast12: 4:44pm On May 23, 2021
Most new sims are old sims
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by Perfectbeing(m): 4:53pm On May 23, 2021
Usually it's mostly MTN that does this..
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by almarthins(m): 4:56pm On May 23, 2021
Kezifils:
Recycling ♻️ of numbers, I just hope it doesn't land ppl in unnecessary problem.

Problem jus dey follow Nigeria all about. Na so etisalat sold my line. All this nin registration na sham in the end
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by echesilver: 5:01pm On May 23, 2021
Na so one woman de call me to return her son's phone.. Wahala be like wetin again

2 Likes

Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by Bahamas95(m): 5:02pm On May 23, 2021
I am also experiencing similar thing with my airtel line. I always receive calls from people speaking Yoruba ......I am very sure the previous user is a Yoruba woman because they mention a particular name Iya Sulia.
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by booblacain(m): 5:13pm On May 23, 2021
Shuzzi:
Yeah my sis is in such situation....

She bought a new MTN sim but it turned out to be a recycled sim that has been used by one Olaniyi Taiwo......

She keeps receiving calls, text messages including the person's bank alerts (credit and debit) and transactions.
Apparently the number is registered to his bank and its still active till now.

The person is really careless he is lucky I don't engage in fraud if not eehhh. grin

I still have all his bank details including his bvn sef. tongue

Ps: If you lose your sim that is linked to your bank the best thing to do is to rush and block the account then later you can change the number and reactivate it.

it is even possible that the person has actually changed his number in the bank and yet your sister is still receiving his alerts.

it happened to me. A woman called me from Aba state and told me that she has been receiving my bank alerts for some months now. she told me exactly my transactions in the past few days, my mouth was left open. I even recharged my phone after she called just to confirm. I called her back and she told me the exact amount I recharged. Funny enough, all these while I was also receiving alerts on my own phone, which means the alerts were going to two phones at thesame time. I went to the bank to make complain and the customer care was telling me that I was being scammed, that she has checked and there is no other number linked to my account. So how in the world is a total stranger receiving my alerts also. They could not explain.
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by Nobody: 5:37pm On May 23, 2021
Bankowner:
Nobody has used the SIM card you have, the number is a reassigned number that someone has relinquished and network operators are obligated to put these numbers back into use within 90 days.
And you think that's wise? It's unprofessional, there are so many numbers to create. Whats the point reassigning old numbers.
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by ofiko123(m): 5:40pm On May 23, 2021
Return it back as soon as possible...
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by tundefamuyide(m): 5:44pm On May 23, 2021
This is true, I got a Glo Sim card last year, to my greatest surprise, two days after I started receiving calls about online hook-up, one of the callers later told me about a Facebook page where he got the number. Apparently, there was a certain lady whose job was fixing people for hook-ups, gigolo, sugar mummy, and a lot of those nasty shits. I received a lot of nasty text messages from this jobless people.
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by mmadu4: 5:56pm On May 23, 2021
in Nigeria everything is possible
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by AdaAwka1: 5:59pm On May 23, 2021
Shuzzi:
Yeah my sis is in such situation....

She bought a new MTN sim but it turned out to be a recycled sim that has been used by one Olaniyi Taiwo......

She keeps receiving calls, text messages including the person's bank alerts (credit and debit) and transactions.
Apparently the number is registered to his bank and its still active till now.

The person is really careless he is lucky I don't engage in fraud if not eehhh. grin

I still have all his bank details including his bvn sef. tongue

Ps: If you lose your sim that is linked to your bank the best thing to do is to rush and block the account then later you can change the number and reactivate it.

D person is probably dead
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by TVTKOKO(m): 6:06pm On May 23, 2021
Bishopwizzy:
It's like you logged someone's google mail in your phone. Those contacts could be the persons contact from the email.
really? I'm guilty as charged.! How can I deactivate this?
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by Kingsleystunner(m): 6:06pm On May 23, 2021
Fourteen90:
Good evening guys, something strange happened today. I got a message from one of this betting site that I had a coupon of 1,200 that is about to expire, but I couldn't remember playing a bet on that site. Out of curiousity I had to give it a try and see using the link attached to the SMS, surprisingly it was true. I actually used the coupon but I began to wonder and tried to remember at what time did I registered on that site, so I checked the transaction history and found an account number with a particular bank, only the last four digits of the account was displayed, the account is not mine and I don't get messages from the bank or any funny call(s) yet. At that point it dawned on me that someone had previously used the supposedly new SIM card that I bought and registered around last year ending.

So my point now is this, why did this particular network re-sell a SIM card that was previously used by another person? Who knows the kind of person that had previously used the SIM card. Please NCC needs to look into this matter, before someone will buy a SIM that was previously used by a criminal, kidnappers or terrorist

Before shey u no know say na use life u dey use like this
Shey anything for this country get head �
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by Mayor1732: 6:09pm On May 23, 2021
[color=#770077][/color] even my mtn line was once used by an hausa . . . . It can be really frausting when an hausa calls u
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by Lovelygrl: 6:32pm On May 23, 2021
I once bought my dad an MTN line, people were calling him all the time referring to him as a German contractor with Julius berger I had to throw it away and get another one.
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by sandra50(f): 6:36pm On May 23, 2021
Same way I bought a sim card and registered it the next thing someone started calling that if I don't bring back her 250,000 she was going to track me down and arrest me..I tried explaining that it's a wrong person but she was having it..she was even telling me that I admmted that I'm mama somebody..I had to throw away that line oo because if police comes for me I must provide who gave me the sim..
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by PROPEACE: 6:41pm On May 23, 2021
dustmalik:
Recycling of domant lines is lawful. You are solely responsible for whatever happens afterwards, since it's your fault not getting it back if lost.
You cannot be responsible for what happens with a line of yours resold to someone else.
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by advanceDNA: 6:47pm On May 23, 2021
Bankowner:

What are u saying??
U said nobody used the the aim before..
But that the number is a reassigned number.
If it wasn’t previously used, why does it need to be reassigned...??
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by Nobody: 6:56pm On May 23, 2021
dustmalik:
Recycling of domant lines is lawful. You are solely responsible for whatever happens afterwards, since it's your fault not getting it back if lost.
And what if it is re-registered by the other person that the sim was recycled for? Then it becomes a tussle between both. Something important has to be done to rectify this situation to avoid putting innocent buyers into problems.
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by Shuzzi(m): 6:59pm On May 23, 2021
AdaAwka1:

D person is probably dead
I doubt it cause at times she receives debit alerts.
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by Bankowner: 7:53pm On May 23, 2021
advanceDNA:

What are u saying??
U said nobody used the the aim before..
But that the number is a reassigned number.
If it wasn’t previously used, why does it need to be reassigned...??

You understand English don’t you? Did the previous user of the number return the SIM card to the network provider when the line was abandoned? A SIM card cannot be reassigned, only a number can. And that is what I said, nobody has used the new SIM
card he got. Do you get it now?
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by Eyanbahose: 7:59pm On May 23, 2021
Fourteen90:

its a normal thing for mobile networks to recycle numbers
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by advanceDNA: 8:15pm On May 23, 2021
Bankowner:

You understand English don’t you? Did the previous user of the number return the SIM card to the network provider when the line was abandoned? A SIM card cannot be reassigned, only a number can. And that is what I said, nobody has used the new SIM
card he got. Do you get it now?

U are a funny human being...

U are just playing around with words.... the guys is complaining that he received text... of course he’s talking about the number not the plastic SIM card

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Apple Iphones Might End Up Like Blackberry If They Don't Change / 9mobile Launches N14,000 Rhino 2 Android Phone / The Blackberry Z30! The Game Changer For Blackberry Guys!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.