Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,855 members, 7,802,739 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:28 PM

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 - Travel (181) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 (679922 Views)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (178) (179) (180) (181) (182) (183) (184) ... (676) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by Mzstacie: 11:15am On Jun 20, 2021
Mofolam:

The gurus don’t advice this. It doesn’t show educational progression at all. Heavy on the at all. What course are you applying for? And what do you have msc in?

I have an mph. I’m applying for pgc health management due to the nature of my work here, will it be a hinderance?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by mudiwest(m): 11:15am On Jun 20, 2021
Mzstacie:

But won’t it be used against me in future when I try out express entry?

I don't think it will be a concern at that stage. Your previous academia will be assessed by WES
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by RxOtunba: 11:34am On Jun 20, 2021
There's no additional benefit, as long as you can do it yourself, I only asked. If you previously used an agent, it's better you request for gcms plus note which comes with all filled forms and docs, because an agent might av added or subtracted some info, and as you know, any discrepancy can lead to a 5years ban.

You could get your UCI and application number on the refusal letter or GCKey account. What category of visa did you apply for?
tonnymexx:
Please how do I get my UCI and Application no

3 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by RxOtunba: 11:38am On Jun 20, 2021
It is very possible, it just depends on how well you can outline your career goals and convince the visa officer. Although, it's usually better to go for a degree that is higher.
Mzstacie:

I have an mph. I’m applying for pgc health management due to the nature of my work here, will it be a hinderance?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by Mzstacie: 11:49am On Jun 20, 2021
RxOtunba:
It is very possible, it just depends on how well you can outline your career goals and convince the visa officer. Although, it's usually better to go for a degree that is higher.

Thank you
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by OLUWABORI2000: 11:57am On Jun 20, 2021
iampaulsmith:
LANDING GIST…Long post alert

British Airways- Lagos to Heathrow
My flight was for 10:55pm so I got to the airport around 5:40pm. There was a very long queue at the entrance of the departure hall (omooo a lot of people are travelling oo) and it took about 30 mins to get inside. The custom guys at the entrance scanned my bags and still asked me to open them. Las las they wanted to ask for money…#500 for them sha. Then, there are these guys called Nigeria Agricultural Quarantine Service Plant Health. So, they will ask if you have any agricultural products in your bags and ask you to declare them in a form. You will be asked to pay #2000 for each bag that contain agricultural products. In my case I had food in three bags, but I told them two and I paid 4k cause I couldn’t imagine paying 6k. If possible, ensure you pack your food together in a bag (if a bag can contain your food items). Let me add that it is best to use ghana must go for your food stuffs and not box. In my case I bought the thick ones, and you can wrap it at the airport. To my surprise, nobody asked for the certificate issued at all so the 4k felt like a waste of money.

For B.A you must fill a locator’s form as you can’t enter the U.K. without it. When they noticed that I was going to Canada as a student, I was taken to a lady. She asked for my enrolment letter, admission letter and study visa. She snapped and sent it someone on WhatsApp and after about 5minutes she said I was cleared and I was checked in. Immigration was easy, they asked for my Canadian address and phone number. I just gave them my Airbnb address (who dem epp) and Nigerian number. Of course, they asked for cash also but I jokingly said there is no money on ground ooo. I got to Heathrow by 5:30 am and the check was way easier than Nigeria but the downside was that my flight to Toronto was for 5:00pm. So I had to wait for almost 12 hours but then the flight from London to Toronto is just 7hrs which is better than the 16hrs from addis ababa. Netflix and other things came to my rescue. I didn’t really feel it cause there was free Wi-Fi & a place to charge. Hunger wire me ehn, I had to eat twice. GTbank card came to the rescue.

The flight to Toronto was fine. We were barely 50 in a plane meant for about 300 people. Enough space to sleep. At the airport, our flight was the only one arriving at that time so there was no queue everywhere. After filling a form on the machine, I got a slip and proceeded to a place where they asked for covid test result & hotel reservation. Then I proceeded to a border officer who asked for my school, course, and where I did my first degree. She asked for my enrolment letter & admission letter. She asked if I had started classed online. I told her I started back in January and quickly chipped in the 7hrs difference between Calgary and Nigeria and staying up all night to study. She felt sorry for me and immediately issued my study permit. She asked if the issued timeframe is enough for me, I simply said yes. She also asked if I plan to work part time, I just said no! And that was it!!!

Then Covid test at the airport. I swear it is way better than the way they conduct covid test in Nigeria. I cannot forget how that man at the govt hospital chuk my nose the other day. I didn’t want to change USD to CAD at the ridiculous rate at the airport, so I tried using ACCESS BANK, UBA, GTBANK STANBIC. Only Stanbic allowed me to withdraw with their Nigerian card. I called my hotel, and they sent a taxi to pick me. My covid result came on the second day but I had already booked my flight to Calgary and I just couldn’t let the hotel enjoyment go to waste since my school covered my hotel quarantine (a bursary thing I was eligible for). After the three days, I moved to Calgary…four-hour flight from Toronto, damn! This country is so big it should be a continent on its own. I’m almost done with my 11days. Staying indoor for a long time can be really boring but whenever I look through the window and see that the environment is different, I just smile and feel good again.

Congratulations to everyone that got their PPR recently. To everyone still awaiting a response, nothing will hinder your testimony in Jesus name. The joy at the end is enough to overshadow the stress and pain. Right now, I don’t care anymore that my application took almost 8 months. Looking forward to seeing more good news on this thread. Prospective University of Calgary or Alberta folks can hit me up, I’m willing to help in any little way I can. God bless us all!

Congratulations, Thanks for this

5 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by jfrazzy(m): 12:27pm On Jun 20, 2021
IntimidationJay:
it’s not true! The ask for it when they have looked at your bank account and you have had up-to 30,000 CAD for at least 6months. I think that’s the only criteria they look for. Because the asked me to switch to NSE, 2 days after I had submitted my application, they wouldn’t have reasonably been able to review my entire application in 2 days to determine whether to give me visa.

Wow okay
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by joideviv(m): 12:56pm On Jun 20, 2021
joideviv:
Still I am learning a lot every minutes on this thread, big ups to you guys.

I graduated with a degree in public administration with a 4.08CGPA and currently self employed and running a family business. At some point I of my deliberations, I would ever want to study Social work for masters in Canada but I'm kinda scared that I might be rejected visa because of choice of course.

What are my chances if I should seek admission in social work or should I stick to MSC in political science (incl international relations, public policy) or would a master in business management be a good choice of course?

Pls I still need help on this
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by Lamideyy: 12:57pm On Jun 20, 2021
Anon123:
For those applying for gcms note, ensure your application is more than at least 4months old before applying. Reason is if you applyinv too early, you won't see jack on your gcms note o. No vo concern or anything to show they require something from you.

This is NOT always true
You sound so certain!
If you have the money, apply for your notes as often as you can
Nothing spoil

9 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by CHIKACIC: 1:40pm On Jun 20, 2021
[quote author=iampaulsmith post=102894359]LANDING GIST…Long post alert

British Airways- Lagos to Heathrow

Please, was your ticket one way or return

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by naijaoyibo: 2:16pm On Jun 20, 2021
We have paid abput 20,000$ in school fees and other fees. This is the second denial.
We also presented statement of account of business and personal accounts with 100M naira and 35M naira respectively.

Please note that this denial refers to the applicant finances and not the sponsor,s finance.

Her first denial, it was stated clearly that they don't believe she would be able to pay her fees, medical bills, and afford the cost of living.
After that first denial, we packaged the whole thing and submitted again.

This second denial, just one reason was given for denial which was:

" I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and financial status"

kelvine95:

1. Get your gcms notes
2. Personal assets and financial status is usually as a result of finance that cannot be proved to be available. It could be caused by ;

- An unclear relationship between the sponsor and the principal applicant.
- Lump sum
- Doubt about the sponsor’s ability to actually make the funds available for the PA.

So, if the sponsor is not your direct relative(Mum, Dad or Sibling), then it could be as a result of that. Of course, if there is unexplained or unjustifiable sum in your sponsor’s account, then that could have been the reason. It could also be other stuffs, but it usually has nothing to do with the applicant’s “assets and financial status”.

I am sure gurus here will give better explanation. Best of lucks! And it will end in praise for us all.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by anike2011: 2:56pm On Jun 20, 2021
Hello, please can you contact me I need your guide on this process. My email is nikefasesin@yahoo.com
mudiwest:

I used UBA for mine and it took about 3 business days
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by lawfree638: 3:03pm On Jun 20, 2021
Here we go!

Dust your bags and visit vaccination centres to get your Vaccine shots!

Note: YOU MUST BE FULLY VACCINATED.

COVID-19 travel news: Canada’s international travel restrictions, including travel to the U.S., have been extended until July 21, 2021. Starting next month, fully vaccinated travellers currently allowed to enter Canada will be able to skip the required hotel stopover and 14-day quarantine. Air Transat will begin to gradually resume flight operations starting July 30, 2021. Air Canada flights to India are set to resume by July 29, 2021.

Source: https://www.skyscanner.ca/tips-and-inspiration/coronavirus-information

CIC will announce this tomorrow.

3 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by Ekulu77: 3:05pm On Jun 20, 2021
Hello everyone
Please I need your opinion on this,I already submitted my application with 90% of my first year fees paid .Then we paid the remaining balance but the receipt came out after I've submitted my application. I already did upfront medical and I want to raise webform to submit e-medical sheet. Is it advisable to submit the remaining receipt of my school fee despite the fact I used my uncle as sponsor.wont it raise suspicion on why the uncle is paying in deposit when he proves and say he his capable of sponsoring me
All in all, Do you think I should go ahead and submit my remaining 10% school fees receipt or I shouldn't so it won't raise any red flag
Please I need your opinion the guru's and everyother person
Thank you
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by afomon12: 3:22pm On Jun 20, 2021
Hello Medical Experts in the House.

It's a wonderful news that the 3 days mandatory hotel quarantine and that of the 14days is about to be lifted. This is a welcoming development, however, is it possible to get the two shot of the vaccine before the resumption of the fall session in August and September?

It's very sure most applicants are not fully vaccinated. So what's the way forward?

Lastly, I pray this week favours us all. We are still expecting ppr most march applicants.

It is well !!!!!

5 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by lawfree638: 3:26pm On Jun 20, 2021
afomon12:

It's a wonderful news that the 3 days mandatory hotel quarantine and that of the 14days is about to be lifted. This is a welcoming development, however, is it possible to get the two shot of the vaccine before the resumption of the fall session in August and September?

It's very sure most applicants are not fully vaccinated. So what's the way forward?

Lastly, I pray this week favours us all. We are still expecting ppr most march applicants.

It is well !!!!!

Vaccination centres will be flooded once again.

Those staffs will have unnecessary powers tongue
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by mudiwest(m): 3:35pm On Jun 20, 2021
anike2011:
Hello, please can you contact me I need your guide on this process. My email is nikefasesin@yahoo.com

mudiwest@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by shupy: 3:37pm On Jun 20, 2021
The real problem is that vaccination centers have been instructed to only vaccinate second dose takers. You're not likely to be attended to if you're going for the first dose.
afomon12:

It is well !!!!!
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by naijaoyibo: 3:50pm On Jun 20, 2021
Congratulations. What date was placed on your deed of gift?
Darmison:
Thank you all for the congratulatory messages.
All thanks to the Past and Current Gurus, others sharing their cases here. I appreciate you all for letting us learn from your mistakes and advise. God bless you all.

HERE'S MY STORY
The hustle was tough in 2019 trying to finding
UNI rather than Colleges with my 2:2 pali. Somehow I came across UCW and I was admitted with scholarship but my Uncle advised i find better option. I couldn't land any MA admission since then, i was just wasting money and time. April 2020 while searching on IG, I came across this Agent that mentioned undergraduate in Manitoba. Mumu me applied to one irrelevant program thinking any program will do lol.

So my 1st Application Oct 2020
LoA: BA of Sciences.
My Uncle did the application so I didn't know the documents he provided. [Sponsorship Letter from my parent, Employment letter of my parents, full first year tuition receipt and 35k cad as show money...NB: A family friend transferred the money to my mom Salary account. I have my mom open another bank for easy access and have her move all the money to the new account.]
Biometric 3/October/2020
NsE: 24/November/2020
Refused: 8/jan/2020 [purpose of visit & personal assets and financial]
Ordered for gcms 30/jan/2020

I learnt about Niaraland through a YouTuber. Started reading from thread 12 i think. I will sleep and wake up and continue � . That was where I knew what went wrong with my 1st Application even b4 I received gcms.

2nd Applicantion 12th April
LOA: MBA UCW
An hour after gcms enter.
Background check started immediately as well.
I didn't notice the exact day my eligibility started but I'm sure it was between a week after I put in my application.
4 ghost update and later got another update when they updated my Medical.
NB: I sent webform and email of my medical last week when someone mentioned he uploaded his upfront medical yet they requested again.
11th of June- Medical passed
On Saturday someone mentioned he was refused cause of IMM1294E, i went back to check if I didn't make mistake. Gbam I made a simple mistake of year of graduation. I gave up right at that moment. Justmellow/ gcmswriters advised I send another through webform. They haven't acknowledged till now.
16th of June- Passport Request.

S/0 to Gcmswriters. They wrote my LOE and CV though with a cost. The LOE and CV helped me with backed with God's grace helped my profile massively. I recommend them.

List of documents I submitted
Letter of acceptance-[admission Letter)

Passport - identity doc[ passport data page, travel stamps, Visa]

pof
Proof of Tuition Payment
Schooftlarship Grant
Sponsor’s Statement of Account
Sponsor’s MyBankStatement
Employment Letter
Sponsorship Letter
Affidavit of support
Applicant Statement Of account
Certificate of business
Business account bank statement
My landed property
Deed of gift of a 1 acre landed property from Mother]

Digital photo - photo

Family info - immm[Photo of me and my family including my fiancee, state of origin, birth certificate of my family]

Medical - upfront

Temporary Visa - imm

Client info -
S.O.P
IELTS RESULT
Waec Result
Statement of B.Tech Certificate
NYSC Certificate
Nison Certificate
P.P.A. Letter
police character Certificate
Affidavit of Good conduct

Shea pe meself go write this long message one day. Alihamdulilah.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by lawfree638: 3:50pm On Jun 20, 2021
shupy:
The real problem is that vaccination centres have been instructed to only vaccinate second dose takers. You're not likely to be attended to if you're going for the first dose.

The truth is with the upcoming development, privatisation of vaccines will be the new norm now.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by Mofolam: 3:58pm On Jun 20, 2021
Mzstacie:

Someone on YouTube has this your profile. She got her approval, graduated and has already gotten her PR. It’s a reasonable choice. But don’t assume the vo has sense, show them how to make sense of it in your sop.

5 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by iampaulsmith(m): 4:01pm On Jun 20, 2021
Amen. Thank you. You don’t have to book a return ticket, one way is enough.
CrownTdan:
Oh thank you very much! May the land favor you!
Also, did you book one way or a return ticket?!

CHIKACIC:

Please, was your ticket one way or return
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by Oyesquare10: 4:01pm On Jun 20, 2021
Did she submit her employment letter and salary account? I think these two play some parts too especially if the applicant is matured

naijaoyibo:
We have paid abput 20,000$ in school fees and other fees. This is the second denial.
We also presented statement of account of business and personal accounts with 100M naira and 35M naira respectively.

Please note that this denial refers to the applicant finances and not the sponsor,s finance.

Her first denial, it was stated clearly that they don't believe she would be able to pay her fees, medical bills, and afford the cost of living.
After that first denial, we packaged the whole thing and submitted again.

This second denial, just one reason was given for denial which was:

" I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and financial status"

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by Bushboy009: 4:15pm On Jun 20, 2021
Can someone help me book my Medicals . I have been trying since yesterday and it keeps saying unable to process transaction. I have used 3 different debit cards for pay stack
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by iampaulsmith(m): 4:33pm On Jun 20, 2021
Well maybe if there was a mistake…probably if the issued date didn’t cover my entire program she could have extended it.
But like Olasubomy said, it felt like she was trying to know the real intent of my purpose in Canada. Answering yes to working part-time when my program does not allow me might have landed me in trouble. Some of these questions are tricky and one has to be careful in answering. But I was 100% confident that even if I said no, she can’t take away the 20hrs per week. But if you are going for a co-op program, the answer to the question might be yes and then clarify that it’s part of your study program.

wildchild1:
Congrats once again, what do you mean by the bold statement? Do you mean the border officer can issue a study permit longer than the one stated on the approved letter people always get when their application was approved? Would the officer have also issued a work permit if you had said yes to working part time?

Oreoluwamipo:
May the land of Canada favor you .. Are you truly not going to work part time or 'No' is just the right answer for everyone to say?
Asking on behalf of those of us that will be working part time.

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by michazy(m): 4:34pm On Jun 20, 2021
Lekiboboe:

Yes they do, but not as much as US does

Reasons are;

- in Canada is not up to 300,
USA has over 3,000 Universities (OPP, OPG)

- Another reason is CGPA, Loads of USA universities do consider some 2.2 applicants (with the right graduate program application packaging) for Fully-funded Graduate opportunities , unlike Canadian Universities whose requirement is a minimum of 2.1

So based on the above reasons, it is expected that USA would/should have more funding Opportunities than Canada.

I read a tweet yesterday, and I quote,

If you’re looking for a country where you can easily get an admission, consider UK

If you’re looking for a country where you have better scholarship options, consider US

If you’re looking for a country where you have better chances of getting a foreign passport, consider Canada

If getting a scholarship is a big part of your study abroad plans, and getting one in Canada is looking elusive, you can work out a smart plan

Consider the US as a study destination, and work towards your Canadian Permanent Residence application from there.

That’s a smart plan.

Credits : @Olufemiloye

If you need an explanatory information on how to go about Fully-funded Graduate School in Canada, take your time and go through the contents in the link below
https://www.nairaland.com/6567181/canadian-student-visa-thread-part/175#102878887

To your Second Question,
"Is the Canada students visa the same for the funded and self-funded students?

Yes it is , but there is a way they have to Show their proof of funds (based on the tution waiver + stipends gotten) and Compulsorily Show Strong Ties to their home country (that is, after their Studies in Canada, they would come back to their home country) since they are not sponsored by their Family (Dad, Mum or Sibling)

That being said, take your time & go through the Contents in the two links below

How to Show Strong Ties to Home Country
https://www.nairaland.com/6321900/canadian-student-visa-thread-part/226#98824852

How to show Proof of Funds for a Fully-funded Scholarship applicant going to a Canadian University (Based on the experience of some graduate scholars in Canada)
https://www.nairaland.com/6321900/canadian-student-visa-thread-part/384#99902954

Wow!!!
I can’t thank you enough for this detailed and lucid response. May God grant you all your heart desire.
You’ve really put me through in this hustle.

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by Stephblues(f): 4:43pm On Jun 20, 2021
Oh ok. It’s the GTWorld app that has it. I have both apps so I was able to do it from my mobile.

TennieYF:
My own mobile app did not have the option, it was internet banking I used.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by Lamideyy: 4:46pm On Jun 20, 2021
afomon12:

It is well !!!!!

Yes it is possible, you might just have to travel later in August.
The first dose of the vaccine has been hoarded so you can get it with money.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by bollybeejay: 4:48pm On Jun 20, 2021
mudimooon:

Pls sir I need help in traveling out. I graduated with a 2:2 in public administration. I wanted to do a pgd in business/data analysis in Canada. How do I go about it sir.
With public administration, Its better for you to show progression in your dealings, you need to understand your background, does data analysis relate with what you do currently? Where do you what and for how long have you been working
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by AOJoy: 4:49pm On Jun 20, 2021
Hello Gurus,

I applied since 27 Feb and upfront medicals. Till this moment, IRCC is still yet start my eligibility review or respond. I requested for GCMS notes which was printed in May ending (3 months) and it did not show any comment from visa officers. I have been sending two reminder mails and web forms to them daily and till this moment, no response to both mails and web forms.

I have been wondering if they have been not seeing my messages.

Please guru, I need advice on how I can send the mail or web form and they will see it. What do I do my people? Please help...
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by yungbilli: 4:54pm On Jun 20, 2021
What was your reaction and the first thing you did when you checked your application and it was approved?....Just curious haha. If you don't mind sharing.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 by owee: 5:43pm On Jun 20, 2021
owee:
Hi everyone. Does anyone have a prescheduled medical exam at Qlife for the coming week but will not make it and want to swap bookings with me for the 7th of July? Kindly hit me up.

Anyone here who can help pls?

Also, is it possible to gate crash the medicals at Qlife with the IME form and seek to do it same day? ( I’ve already booked for a date in July though).

(1) (2) (3) ... (178) (179) (180) (181) (182) (183) (184) ... (676)

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.