Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,953 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:50 PM

NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading (58872 Views)

Corps Member Recreates Photo Of Her Mom Taken During NYSC Program 32 Years Ago / Sunday Dare Debunks Reports That NYSC Scheme Will Be Scrapped / Discontinuation Bill: Sunday Dare Opposes The Scrapping Of NYSC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by TruthHurts1(m): 3:12pm On May 24, 2021
The strapping of the National Youth Service Corps scheme by House of Representatives is in the process of discontinuation.

The NYSC Act, is billed for the second reading by the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria Alteration Bill, 2020, which is seeking to invalidate it.

Mr Awaji-Inombek Abiante, the sponsor of the bill noted the various reasons why the NYSC should be scrapped in a memorandum of the proposal.

It read in part, “This bill seeks to repeal Section 315(5)(a) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999, (as amended) on the following grounds:

“Incessant killing of innocent corps members in some parts of the country due to banditry, religious extremism and ethnic violence; incessant kidnapping of innocent corps members across the country;

“Public and private agencies/departments are no longer recruiting able and qualified Nigerian youths, thus relying heavily on the availability of corps members who are not being well remunerated and get discarded with impunity at the end of their service year without any hope of being gainfully employed;

“Due to insecurity across the country, the National Youth Service Corps management now gives considerations to posting corps members to their geopolitical zone, thus defeating one of the objectives of setting up the service corps, i.e. developing common ties among the Nigerian youths and promote national unity and integration.”

NYSC was established on May 22, 1973, under Decree No. 24 of 1973 for reconciliation and reintegration of Nigerians after the civil war between July 6, 1967 and January 15, 1970 during which millions of people died.

http://saharareporters.com/2021/05/24/national-youth-service-corps-programme-may-be-scrapped-discontinuation-bill-reaches

59 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by Nobody: 3:28pm On May 24, 2021
smiley

5 Likes

Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by SmartyPants(m): 3:50pm On May 24, 2021
In my opinion, one of the most meaningful developments to emanate out of the National Assembly.

497 Likes 28 Shares

Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by Ololanla: 3:52pm On May 24, 2021
Good one

27 Likes

Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by HONESTFACT101(m): 4:19pm On May 24, 2021
well one of its main aim was to enhance unity in diversity but from comments I see here on nairaland,I think scrapping it is for the best......signing out

406 Likes 21 Shares

Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by joinnow: 5:27pm On May 24, 2021
TruthHurts1:
The strapping of the National Youth Service Corps scheme by House of Representatives is in the process of discontinuation.

The NYSC Act, is billed for the second reading by the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria Alteration Bill, 2020, which is seeking to invalidate it.

Mr Awaji-Inombek Abiante, the sponsor of the bill noted the various reasons why the NYSC should be scrapped in a memorandum of the proposal.

It read in part, “This bill seeks to repeal Section 315(5)(a) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999, (as amended) on the following grounds:

“Incessant killing of innocent corps members in some parts of the country due to banditry, religious extremism and ethnic violence; incessant kidnapping of innocent corps members across the country;

“Public and private agencies/departments are no longer recruiting able and qualified Nigerian youths, thus relying heavily on the availability of corps members who are not being well remunerated and get discarded with impunity at the end of their service year without any hope of being gainfully employed;

“Due to insecurity across the country, the National Youth Service Corps management now gives considerations to posting corps members to their geopolitical zone, thus defeating one of the objectives of setting up the service corps, i.e. developing common ties among the Nigerian youths and promote national unity and integration.”

NYSC was established on May 22, 1973, under Decree No. 24 of 1973 for reconciliation and reintegration of Nigerians after the civil war between July 6, 1967 and January 15, 1970 during which millions of people died.

http://saharareporters.com/2021/05/24/national-youth-service-corps-programme-may-be-scrapped-discontinuation-bill-reaches

Mynd44, Lalasticlala
Long overdue
Death trapped road journeys
Stupid 21 day training with heavy f**kery going on.
Others

194 Likes 11 Shares

Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by MeghaneMorgane(f): 7:45pm On May 24, 2021
I don’t think its a good idea if NYSC is scrapped. It could be optional but not scrapped. A lot of youths use that period to plan their lives and the 30k paid by the government solves the needs of millions of people at least for the full one year

189 Likes 24 Shares

Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by IMASTEX: 7:45pm On May 24, 2021
Long overdue, instead graduates should be given training in areas of interest that they can setup something to start making a living. And the funds before now wasted on NYSC should be given to them thereafter as startup funds.

258 Likes 16 Shares

Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by bro4u: 7:46pm On May 24, 2021
Good thing if it gets scrapped out, shit is no longer relevant.

48 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by Julianaa: 7:46pm On May 24, 2021
Senate should be scrapped first

They literally useless

Just wasting tax money

148 Likes 13 Shares

Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by Nobody: 7:46pm On May 24, 2021
I really had a great experience. It's not all about fun & freedom,,, it's just about meeting new people & I did meet nice people.

If you ask me, I would say Long live,,,,NYSC!
But I may not see what others are seeing angry

The reasons given are not enough. You for kuku scrap Naija undecided

53 Likes 8 Shares

Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by Ayo25: 7:46pm On May 24, 2021
Yes
Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by datola: 7:47pm On May 24, 2021
Good riddance to bad rubbish.

12 Likes

Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by King44(m): 7:47pm On May 24, 2021
Thank God, complete waste of one year

That one year could be used to figure out the next move after school since there is no job out there.

That one year could be used to acquire skill and so on.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by FBIBOT(m): 7:47pm On May 24, 2021
It actually useless..... It's a looting scheme

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by Starboytwo(m): 7:47pm On May 24, 2021
Nysc ti cast.

6 Likes

Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by psychologist(m): 7:47pm On May 24, 2021
Someone should please school me on the process of passing of bill into law

After hearing/passage of the 3rd reading, how long will it to be passed into law.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by uptimum123(m): 7:47pm On May 24, 2021
The reasons laid out are on point, the purpose for its existence is no longer there

44 Likes 6 Shares

Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by SmartPolician: 7:47pm On May 24, 2021
Aside from meeting some cool friends during my service year, that program was a complete waste of my precious time.

96 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by BuharisBoy: 7:47pm On May 24, 2021
Then, nothing is left for naija graduates,
NTSC is a time to restrategize and plan how to face the labour market, if you from rich family or connected at the top you may not need it but if not, you are on your own.

17 Likes 7 Shares

Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by hayesconcept(m): 7:48pm On May 24, 2021
Good move

1 Like

Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by ABUPHARM(m): 7:48pm On May 24, 2021
I will be back shortly to read comments..
Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by RadioMOUTH(m): 7:48pm On May 24, 2021
grin

Better because people can't keep serving this country for the rest of their lives

That's a slavery enrollment

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by Olatunji1929: 7:48pm On May 24, 2021
Rubbish
Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by Nackzy: 7:48pm On May 24, 2021
How graduates, go take survive, the first one year after school now
Well they can scrap it
Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by cuba62(m): 7:48pm On May 24, 2021
The best news from Nigeria in a long time, how many northern elites children serve in the south? Married women who make a sizable percentage basically don't serve at all. Good riddance to trash.

12 Likes

Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by yetunsbay(m): 7:49pm On May 24, 2021
Kaykayfosu:
Please ooo. Its the saed program I learnt there that made me who I am today please let others enjoy it
Saed na sleeping pills for guys

18 Likes

Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by Akwamkpuruamu: 7:49pm On May 24, 2021
It has outlived it usefulness, make everybody serve for him state

21 Likes

Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by Oysters(m): 7:49pm On May 24, 2021
FINALLY

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

FG Increases NYSC Allowance To N49,800 - APC Newspaper / Corper Dies In Zamfara NYSC Camp (Photos) / Different Types Of Corp Members You Will Meet At The Camp (memes)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.