Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,532 members, 7,898,174 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 July 2024 at 09:09 AM

How to spot a fellow Nigerian in Diaspora - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How to spot a fellow Nigerian in Diaspora (12069 Views)

How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad / Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora / Many Nigerians Living In Nigeria Hate Nigerians In Diaspora, Jealous Much? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How to spot a fellow Nigerian in Diaspora by Nobody: 1:03pm On Oct 13, 2011
Thanks OP,nice one.na 9ja na and the TRADEMARK is always dia.
Re: How to spot a fellow Nigerian in Diaspora by ibx1976: 1:10pm On Oct 13, 2011
This actually happened to me.

I had gone to a local Nigerian foods restaturant to eat and generally listen to home music. Lo and behold there was these two guys in the restaurant having a laptop on the table. One of them had "permed" hair. While I waited for my food, these two guys subjected us all to the most horrendous "show offs" I have ever seen.

One of them launched into a loud nonstop conversation on phone using New York accent even though we were in London. Initially I thought these must be black Americans though I wondered what they were doing in a Nigerian foods joint. He went on and on about shipping some lorries from Germany. He was so loud I believe everyone was irritated. As if to make sure we all knew he was conducting a multimillion pound business, he got up a few times and paced about while continously howling into the phone in his New York accent.

I swear, had I not already ordered my food, I would have walked out. Instead of Osadebe music, I had to endure stories about "containers" and "money transfer".

The most surprising part happened when suddenly this guy's food arrived. It was garri and I heard him complain in pidgin English "My broda this ya garri too small o". The other one with the "permed hair " responded. I cant remember what he said but he sure sounded like someone from the depths of Ajegunle.

Summary:

The one that keeps talking loudly on phone about containers, money transfer, big business, watch it, he's from Shagamu!
Re: How to spot a fellow Nigerian in Diaspora by kingsrod: 1:13pm On Oct 13, 2011
Life and Culture in Naija made us this way, we can´t help it
Re: How to spot a fellow Nigerian in Diaspora by Benzora(m): 1:25pm On Oct 13, 2011
Mi Lord, guilty as charged on "Ross". Absolutely brilliant and a total departure from the bored posts I see here. Put on your thinking caps people and stop posting rubbish and start posting exciting stuff like this. Brilliant!!!
Re: How to spot a fellow Nigerian in Diaspora by oYaTo(m): 1:32pm On Oct 13, 2011
Nice! grin Well-written too cool
Re: How to spot a fellow Nigerian in Diaspora by babeface3: 1:58pm On Oct 13, 2011
How visa take concern this post these ib$o men
Re: How to spot a fellow Nigerian in Diaspora by MMM2(m): 2:12pm On Oct 13, 2011
bad government angry
Re: How to spot a fellow Nigerian in Diaspora by asas(f): 2:28pm On Oct 13, 2011
poster got it right , next sales lwkmd lmao, so tru abt talkin on d fone
Re: How to spot a fellow Nigerian in Diaspora by iice(f): 2:30pm On Oct 13, 2011
ibx1976:

This actually happened to me.

I had gone to a local Nigerian foods restaturant to eat and generally listen to home music. Lo and behold there was these two guys in the restaurant having a laptop on the table. One of them had "permed" hair. While I waited for my food, these two guys subjected us all to the most horrendous "show offs" I have ever seen.

One of them launched into a loud nonstop conversation on phone using New York accent even though we were in London. Initially I thought these must be black Americans though I wondered what they were doing in a Nigerian foods joint. He went on and on about shipping some lorries from Germany. He was so loud I believe everyone was irritated. As if to make sure we all knew he was conducting a multimillion pound business, he got up a few times and paced about while continously howling into the phone in his New York accent.

I swear, had I not already ordered my food, I would have walked out. Instead of Osadebe music, I had to endure stories about "containers" and "money transfer".

The most surprising part happened when suddenly this guy's food arrived. It was garri and I heard him complain in pidgin English "My broda this ya garri too small o". The other one with the "permed hair " responded. I cant remember what he said but he sure sounded like someone from the depths of Ajegunle.

Summary:

The one that keeps talking loudly on phone about containers, money transfer, big business, watch it, he's from Shagamu!
Our money worshiping disease.  Thinks everyone will at our feet if we talk or show how much money we have.  

Anyway, funny post.
Re: How to spot a fellow Nigerian in Diaspora by candylips(m): 2:32pm On Oct 13, 2011
funny
Re: How to spot a fellow Nigerian in Diaspora by lurkee(f): 2:39pm On Oct 13, 2011
Funny post!  grin I know the OP is playing into stereotypes but he has a valid point. I can usually recognise a Nigerian guy abroad with the following points.

1) Blackberry - this is almost always true especially if he is a "freshie"
2) Formal shoes - especially the masters students.
3) Trousers - again especially the masters students. I don't notice a lot of jeans wearing Nigerian men in class
4) Pleather Jacket - like the OP said, this is a staple for Nigerian men abroad. I don't know why they don't go for Mr Darcy looking long coat. Very sexy!
5) Face - I can usually tell just from the face where someone comes from. Whether East/West/North/South African I will usually know. Even down to whether Ibo/Yoruba/Hausa.

As for the girls, I usually can never tell whether they are Nigerian until speaking to them.
Re: How to spot a fellow Nigerian in Diaspora by mostojr: 2:42pm On Oct 13, 2011
Nice article. Wish I could write like you.
Re: How to spot a fellow Nigerian in Diaspora by qwest(m): 2:58pm On Oct 13, 2011
guy I dey jand n u hit am 4 head wella.
Re: How to spot a fellow Nigerian in Diaspora by UgoBabe(f): 3:45pm On Oct 13, 2011
lolllllll, so funny!!! grin
Re: How to spot a fellow Nigerian in Diaspora by UgoBabe(f): 3:48pm On Oct 13, 2011
tsmith:

But AJ's point does strike a cord, we too like OYO (on Your Own), compared to the Asian Communities, they look out for themselves more and as such achieving great things both individually and collectively. A lot of ppl have this idea that other naijas are OSE (soap), as in dey go just wash(fall) your hand. Me thinks its high time we started giving each other the benefit of doubt and build relationships, not because of the perceived immediate benefits, but rather for camaraderie

so so true, we would be aq powerful force if we unified in our collective communities in the diaspora
Re: How to spot a fellow Nigerian in Diaspora by dayokanu(m): 3:53pm On Oct 13, 2011
If you see a very dark man, WITHOUT dreadlocks or any fancy hair cut, WITHOUT Yellow and red Jeans,

Clean cut and dress shirt working in a corporate organisation

70% he is Nigeria
Re: How to spot a fellow Nigerian in Diaspora by funmeme(f): 3:54pm On Oct 13, 2011
@op, u re a true Nigerian, ladies we sabi bone wen we go to places we no nobodi enh, i laff in ijebu language grin
Re: How to spot a fellow Nigerian in Diaspora by gamechange(m): 4:02pm On Oct 13, 2011
Funny post.

True story this - When i used to live in London, My girlfirend and I went to obalende Suya at dalston and after polishing our plate, we proceeded to leave, and just as we stepped outside, we noticed a parked vehicle was about to be ticketted. My kind natured girlfriend suspecting the vehicle might belong to one of the many Nigerians dining in the joint, spontaneously about turned back into the restaurant announcing loudly the number plate of the offending vehicle.  Lo and behold, a scrawny looking pompous Nigerian dude, waived her away in annoyance yelling "no be only 40 pounds". Boy, was I mad as hell, but i let it go, making myself a promise never to let that happen again.
Re: How to spot a fellow Nigerian in Diaspora by cold(m): 4:11pm On Oct 13, 2011
gamechange:

Funny post.

True story this - When i used to live in London, My girlfirend and I went to obalende Suya at dalston and after polishing our plate, we proceeded to leave, and just as we stepped outside, we noticed a parked vehicle was about to be ticketted. My kind natured girlfriend suspecting the vehicle might belong to one of the many Nigerians dining in the joint, spontaneously about turned back into the restaurant announcing loudly the number plate of the offending vehicle.  Lo and behold, a scrawny looking pompous Nigerian dude, waived her away in annoyance yelling "no be only 40 pounds". Boy, was I mad as hell, but i let it go, making myself a promise never to let that happen again.
grin grin of course na,we're Nigerians.Arrogance comes as standard
Re: How to spot a fellow Nigerian in Diaspora by Elpieda: 4:17pm On Oct 13, 2011
This is too stereotypical, I actually read through the whole thing trying to see if it was really accurate but none of this applies to me or the other tons on Nigerians that I know here in the States, I guess its more common among those living in the UK or something. Or maybe I just know Nigerians who are different.

That whole part about girls boning and what not just sounded weird. I only noticed that when I was living in Nigeria but as long as I have been here in the States, I have not noticed that at all, I guess its because I live in a very friendly city where we all say hi to people even if we have never seen them from Adam.

I may be wrong but the article seems too one-sided, Generalizations and conclusions made about a select few
Re: How to spot a fellow Nigerian in Diaspora by Nobody: 4:18pm On Oct 13, 2011
gamechange:

Funny post.

grin Money miss road, babe must have  fumed like hell
Re: How to spot a fellow Nigerian in Diaspora by adctrl: 4:36pm On Oct 13, 2011
Nice one. It says culled from www.woahnigeria. and I have been there without dissappointment. I must agree that 95% of the stuffs in this thread are spot on.

We Nigerians are just another peculiar group of creatures created by Baba God. You go certainly "sabi" when you meet a 9ja -

As for girls frowning, it was a habit from 9ja that 'don't let them get u cheap' but they turn it to a lifestyle.

Also, as for next clearance etc, even the Asians and others are now going more than us.

However, I must confess that the writer "don waka" - Going to all nooks and crannies of citys all over the world? Texas, Bicester, Leeds, Ashford, Milan, Hamburg?

I wonder why someone mention Sagamu somewhere there - leave my town alone, did your Sagamu girl just dump you. The thread affects all Nigerians!
Re: How to spot a fellow Nigerian in Diaspora by ibx1976: 4:45pm On Oct 13, 2011
adctrl:

I wonder why someone mention Sagamu somewhere there - leave my town alone, did your Sagamu girl just dump you. The thread affects all Nigerians!
No offence. Mentioned it just to emphasise. Thinking about it though, the context I used Shagamu portrays the town as a proper core naija town smiley My issue was with the dudes who were acting in denial.
Re: How to spot a fellow Nigerian in Diaspora by sweetgala(m): 4:45pm On Oct 13, 2011
Very funny write up, naija people no dey carry last.
The arrogance is the main trademark , it's only naija people that can be borderline rude and not bat an eyelid. And true on babes boning like say person pour water for dem gari.
Re: How to spot a fellow Nigerian in Diaspora by citous(m): 4:56pm On Oct 13, 2011
What a comic relief. I live in a predominantly white state, so I no sabi wetin u de talk tongue
Re: How to spot a fellow Nigerian in Diaspora by kabukabu(m): 4:58pm On Oct 13, 2011
Number one is SANDALS, matter of fact 9 out of 10 grown men wearing leather sandals has to be Nigerian or African. grin grin
Pulling up their pants almost chest high, you know he is straight from Owerri grin

The women, easy, frown face grin.

Oh and soccer jerseys, grin.

But the number one thing for guys is "Ogo", a big head flat on top and somewhat elongated at the back, aka Idiagbon grin, you can tell it from miles away.
Re: How to spot a fellow Nigerian in Diaspora by franko2: 5:50pm On Oct 13, 2011
@op got it very spot on, more of that ma bro!

kabukabu:

Number one is SANDALS, matter of fact 9 out of 10 grown men wearing leather sandals has to be Nigerian or African. grin grin

Pulling up their pants almost chest high, you know he is straight from Owerri grin

But the number one thing for guys is "Ogo", a big head flat on top and somewhat elongated at the back, aka Idiagbon grin, you can tell it from miles away.

but, @kabukabu, no be true say we dey pull trouser reach belle abeg, wot of congolese people, abi u neva c zaireans and congo brazzaville people - dem like trouser for belle well well pass us oo
Re: How to spot a fellow Nigerian in Diaspora by ibx1976: 5:59pm On Oct 13, 2011
franko!:

but, @kabukabu, no be true say we dey pull trouser reach belle abeg, w[b]ot of congolese people, abi u neva c zaireans and congo brazzaville people [/b] - dem like trouser for belle well well pass us oo
Plus too much skin bleaching. Never seen people who bleach their skin like Congo people smiley
Re: How to spot a fellow Nigerian in Diaspora by Maximip(m): 6:11pm On Oct 13, 2011
shocked We have many lazy readers. It's not an exam now, you can read it in less than 2 min. Back
to the topic.

That sister who does not smile, and is always typing away on her BB. Sorry but some Nigerians girls, especially when they just move abroad newly should start their own BANS movement – Babes Are Not Smiling. Why are they always screwing their faces in the public like ‘No one should dare approach me; I am not on your level.’

I've been wondering about this one too. Funny thing is that they are probably telling the person at the other end of their BB that
they are so bored. Why not, with a face and attitude like that.
Re: How to spot a fellow Nigerian in Diaspora by sizzlers(m): 8:28pm On Oct 13, 2011
@poster, i gbadu all d things you yan i must confess - you get time oo! Kinda waste of bandwit sha!
Re: How to spot a fellow Nigerian in Diaspora by Nobody: 9:41pm On Oct 13, 2011
you right op!

i hardly spot naija girls unlike the men,

■Nigerians talk on their phone like they are speaking into a microphone connected to a public address system. They put their business out there like you won’t believe. So if you spot someone from afar chatting into the phone, while gesticulating wildly with his arms, like he has beef with the handset itself, that’s probably a Naija person. Never mind, if you do not recognize the dialect he is speaking
and this is so funny but you right!
Re: How to spot a fellow Nigerian in Diaspora by Havilah93(m): 10:44pm On Oct 13, 2011
Maximip:

shocked We have many lazy readers. It's not an exam now, you can read it in less than 2 min. Back
to the topic.

I've been wondering about this one too. Funny thing is that they are probably telling the person at the other end of their BB that
they are so bored. Why not, with a face and attitude like that.
yeah i totally agree wit u, mayb d gals r just putting up an attitude to show 'levels'

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Get Your Visa Now And Pay Later / How To Survive A Trip To Lagos On Less Than $10 A Day / Bad Road: Abia Communities Protest Against Coys, Give December Ultimatum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.