Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:23 AM

Nigerians Want PDP To Return To Power In 2023 – Babatope - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Want PDP To Return To Power In 2023 – Babatope (1214 Views)

2023: Nigerians Don’t Want PDP Or APC, Everybody Is Obidient - Obaseki / Ebenezer Babatope: Tinubu, Osinbajo, South-West Deceiving Themselves On 2023 / Rigging Kano Election May Set Nigeria On Fire, Babatope Warns INEC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Want PDP To Return To Power In 2023 – Babatope by bolaayenimo: 6:39am On May 25, 2021
Chief Ebenezer Babatope, a former Minister of Transport and chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), in this interview with TEMIDAYO AKINSUYI, speaks on latest developments in the polity, especially on the death of some military officers last weekend. Excerpts:

What impact do you think the untimely death of the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.Gen. Ibrahim Attahiru who died in an air crash in Kaduna alongside some military officers have on our troops and in the war against insurgency?

It is a very sad development and I believe his death will negatively affect the morale of the troops. The late Chief of Army Staff is a very young person, just 54 years old and he was a very committed officer. The federal government should do something urgently; otherwise, it will dampen the morale of the troops. The federal government should do more by committing resources to ensure that we have very good military aircraft to combat not only the insecurity situation and save our troops from premature deaths. The death of the Chief of Army staff saddens so many people and it is a big blow to our nation.

The clamour for Yoruba nation in the South West and secession threats by other groups has continued for some time now. Do you nurse any fear that Nigeria might break up soon?

For those of us who belonged to Papa (Obafemi) Awolowo’s school of thought, we don’t believe in secession or breaking up of the country. But I believe that what Sunday Igboho and others are saying is that fair must be fair. We must be just and fair to all sides in Nigeria. We should also not be in a position whereby we now make the Yorubas to start counting their losses. So, what Igboho and others are agitating for is that nobody should mistreat Yorubas or take them as second-class citizens. That is also my position. We shouldn’t be punished for what we have not done. So, my appeal is that the federal government should listen to these agitators, in terms of Yorubas having a fair share of what is going on in the federation. We must endeavour to run the country where justice and fair play is paramount and everyone have a sense of belonging. No group should be given special treatment over another.

Some Nigerians are calling on President Muhammadu Buhari to convene another conference where eminent Nigerians will discuss the problems bedeviling the report and proffer solutions. Do you subscribe to this?

I don’t agree on convocation of another national conference. Let them go and implement the reports of past conferences. In 2005, I was a member of the National Political Reform conference convoked by former president Olusegun Obasanjo. There is also the 2014 national conference where they discussed lots of things that will make Nigeria better. The government should go and dust up the report and let us implement what is implementable. Doing that will be in the best interest of this country and Nigerians.

As a Yoruba man, will you support the presidential ambition of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu if he decides to run in 2023?

To me, supporting Tinubu for presidency in 2023 is mere waste of time. I am not a member of APC , so why should I support him? I am a fanatical member of PDP while Tinubu belongs to APC and so, he has every right to canvass for presidency under his party. If I say I want to go and support Tinubu for presidency on what basis? He is a Yoruba man like myself but we don’t belong to the same party. There are Igbos, Fulanis and others who belong to my party and who may have interest in the presidency. If they indicate interest in contesting for the presidency, I must give consideration to their feelings. Supporting them will be better than for me to say I am supporting Tinubu because he is a Yoruba man. No, I won’t support him because that will not be fair.

The PDP is planning to throw its presidential ticket open to all aspirants rather than zoning. Are you in support of this?

If by throwing the presidential ticket open, the party wants to look for justice and fairplay, that’s fair enough. The reality is that the Igbos have not had a fair share of the presidency since 1999.I would have supported the Igbos but again, we have been locked out of power and I want the PDP back in power. Also, many Nigerians want PDP back in power because they believe that they will do better than the APC.

Do you think the Nigerian government is doing enough in taking care of elderly ones?

It is when we have a good government, that is when we will be talking about taking care of elders. We haven’t got a government in this country and that is why they haven’t made any provision for the elderly ones in the society. We have not gotten to that situation in this country

The South-West PDP zonal congress has come and gone. What is your message to all the gladiators in the party?

We have a new leadership of the PDP in the SouthWest. I am appealing to Fayose to accept what has happened and cooperate with the new leadership so that the PDP can stand a good chance of winning election in the South- West and Nigeria.

Some groups and individuals are calling for boycott of the 2023 election if the country fails to restructure, what is your take on this?

I don’t really agree with that. Let us return to the federalist years of Nigeria. Federalist era was one which guaranteed justice, fair- play for all. But how long are we going to survive, by boycotting elections? Let’s have ways and means of resolving the controversial issues that are developing and ensure that when we restructure, we allow competent people to govern the nation and justice and fair- play to direct the affairs of the country.

What about the call to approach the National Assembly over restructuring?

Does the National Assembly want people to approach them? They should do the right thing by ensuring that the law they pass honours and allows for free discussion of ideas that would guide proper interpretation of restructuring.

Are you also an advocate of state police?

You see, state police is a good idea because the officers would know the terrain of their areas, the geography of their area and know what operates in their areas. And when we have state police, it would give strength and fervor to the operations of democracy, and when you have state police, you are allowing the people who know the terrain to be in charge of the security of the nation.

Look at it now, people are being killed left, right and centre because of security lapses; that’s what is going on. We can have the state police that would do the right thing under the law; that is what is important and I want to appeal to those who govern us, to give it a chance. When they give it a chance, we are going to be free forever. Let’s give state police a chance and let those who rule Nigeria ensure fairness and justice to everyone.

What is your take on the agitation for restructuring?

I am for restructuring. Simply put, restructuring is redefinition, reaffirment of the federal nature of our country’s existence. We run a federalism in this country for goodness sake and we should reaffirm it, redefine it, to ensure it takes precedence over every other matter. When we are restructuring, we are aiming at justice. That will give confidence to people that they are in a country where their rights are being respected and where they are given all the opportunities to ensure that we run a proper federalism. Those who are calling for restructuring, they know what they are talking about. Restructuring, pure and simple is the redefinition of the federal nature of our country’s existence. We affirm our federation, we affirm our federalism and we ensure that we put power in the hands of those who really want to make something out of it. It is not debatable. It will solve all our problems.

What do you want to be remembered for?

I want to be remembered for the fact that I was a good student of Papa Obafemi Awolowo and I believed in his ideals and progressive ideas. I believe in what he stood for, which is a Nigeria that is free off hate, tribal discord and a Nigeria that will be a showpiece to the world. So, I want to remembered as a disciple of Awolowo who did not fail in espousing his ideals for fairness, equity and a better Nigeria that we can all be proud of.
https://independent.ng/nigerians-want-pdp-to-return-to-power-in-2023-babatope/

Re: Nigerians Want PDP To Return To Power In 2023 – Babatope by PrinceOfLagos: 6:39am On May 25, 2021
Well, the devil you know is better than the angel you don't know .

No doubt, the PDP got corrupt elements in their midst but Nigerians enjoyed peace of mind, progress in their businesses, dollar at cheaper exchange rate , insecurity was on the low, petrol sold for 65Naira, job loss on the low.

APC in the other hands only brought pain, anguish , death and sorrow to the life of Nigerians.
They pretend like they not corrupt but everyday we keep hearing and reading of billions of Naira been stolen from our national coffers by Buhari son in law and other corrupt elements in the corridors of power.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Want PDP To Return To Power In 2023 – Babatope by seunmsg(m): 6:41am On May 25, 2021
Nobody wants PDP anywhere near Aso Rock ever again. They’ve done enough damage to the country already.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Want PDP To Return To Power In 2023 – Babatope by Coldshisha: 6:44am On May 25, 2021
Only Igbos want PDP.... Sensible voters want progressives
Re: Nigerians Want PDP To Return To Power In 2023 – Babatope by PrinceOfLagos: 6:47am On May 25, 2021
seunmsg:
Nobody wants PDP anywhere near Aso Rock ever again. They’ve done enough damage to the country already.

APC has brought nothing but pain and anguish in the life of so many Nigerians .

Thanks heaven Buhari will leave in 2023

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Want PDP To Return To Power In 2023 – Babatope by Coldshisha: 6:48am On May 25, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:

APC has brought nothing but pain and anguish in the life of so many Nigerians

No more free money
Re: Nigerians Want PDP To Return To Power In 2023 – Babatope by DatIgalaDude: 6:50am On May 25, 2021
No we don't want PDP, APC or any useless party to return.
We just want the right people in the right office.
We want our votes to count!

To those that quoted me: it's not about party but candidates who will serve and do the needful.
If the right candidate is in OPP party, and gets the highest votes, let him be given the office.
Not the appalling situation we have on ground where criminals get into offices because they belong to a major party or the other.
If you folks enjoy the current mess, the go-ahead with your mockery.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Want PDP To Return To Power In 2023 – Babatope by seunmsg(m): 6:51am On May 25, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:

Still, PDP is not a better alternative especially with a corrupt and nepotistic candidate like Atiku.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Want PDP To Return To Power In 2023 – Babatope by PrinceOfLagos: 6:53am On May 25, 2021
seunmsg:

Still, PDP is not a better alternative.
Suggest which party apart from APC and PDP you want Nigerians to vote in 2023 and I will give my full support

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Want PDP To Return To Power In 2023 – Babatope by joyairemiya: 6:57am On May 25, 2021
so which party are you suggesting as alternative
DatIgalaDude:
Re: Nigerians Want PDP To Return To Power In 2023 – Babatope by seunmsg(m): 7:03am On May 25, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:

Suggest which party apart from APC and PDP you want Nigerians to vote in 2023 and I will give my full support

We will vote for candidate and not party. Why did you edit the Atiku part out of my comment?

I know you’re an Atiku supporter. Atiku will never be president of Nigeria. Know this and know peace.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Want PDP To Return To Power In 2023 – Babatope by PrinceOfLagos: 7:08am On May 25, 2021
seunmsg:

We will vote for candidate and not party. Why did you edit the Atiku part out of my comment?

I know you’re an Atiku supporter. Atiku will never be president of Nigeria. Know this and know peace.
You edited your comment on Atiku after I ha already copied and replied to your lies..

Your comment shows you're an insincere person .

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Want PDP To Return To Power In 2023 – Babatope by Jones4190(m): 7:09am On May 25, 2021
Let them complete there national headquarters first before they think of Aso rock
Re: Nigerians Want PDP To Return To Power In 2023 – Babatope by Penguin2: 7:11am On May 25, 2021
seunmsg:

And APC is doing what?
Re: Nigerians Want PDP To Return To Power In 2023 – Babatope by Fasindo: 7:13am On May 25, 2021
shocked

Who are the Nigerians.

Nigerians wants me to contest in 2023....Yahaya Bello.

Nigerians wants PDP in 2023...Babatope.

I ask again who are these Nigerians tell these people all these??

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Want PDP To Return To Power In 2023 – Babatope by Penguin2: 7:14am On May 25, 2021
DatIgalaDude:

Seems you will only vote candidates contesting through Birthday Parties grin grin
Re: Nigerians Want PDP To Return To Power In 2023 – Babatope by seunmsg(m): 7:17am On May 25, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:

You edited your comment on Atiku after I ha already copied and replied to your lies..

Your comment shows you're an insincere person .

Atiku will not be president. Never!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Want PDP To Return To Power In 2023 – Babatope by seunmsg(m): 7:18am On May 25, 2021
Penguin2:

And APC is doing what?

Exactly what PDP did when they were in power for 16 years.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Want PDP To Return To Power In 2023 – Babatope by ShadowCracker(m): 7:20am On May 25, 2021
Seunmsg tinubu said he is against Yoruba nation, he should be ready to leave Yorubaland for Sokoto angry.
Re: Nigerians Want PDP To Return To Power In 2023 – Babatope by PrinceOfLagos: 7:20am On May 25, 2021
seunmsg:

Atiku will not be president. Never!
Where did I support Atiku in my comment ?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Want PDP To Return To Power In 2023 – Babatope by Nobody: 7:32am On May 25, 2021
PrinceOfLagos:

You meant PDP should come back 2023? You see ..
Re: Nigerians Want PDP To Return To Power In 2023 – Babatope by proxillin(m): 7:33am On May 25, 2021
PDP. We are tired of you and APCheats.

Odua nation
Biafranation
Re: Nigerians Want PDP To Return To Power In 2023 – Babatope by PrinceOfLagos: 7:36am On May 25, 2021
supportnija:

You meant PDP should come back 2023? You see ..
Suggest any party apart from this two and I will give my full support

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Want PDP To Return To Power In 2023 – Babatope by ThatFairGuy: 7:37am On May 25, 2021
What is PDP cheesy

Re: Nigerians Want PDP To Return To Power In 2023 – Babatope by ThatFairGuy: 7:38am On May 25, 2021
APGA. Let all we Ndi Igbo vote APGA come next election
PrinceOfLagos:

Suggest any party apart from this two and I will give my full support
Re: Nigerians Want PDP To Return To Power In 2023 – Babatope by Topmaike007(m): 7:45am On May 25, 2021
ThatFairGuy:
APGA. Let all we Ndi Igbo vote APGA come next election
then count apga out from winning presidential seat because igbo only vote can't do it..
Re: Nigerians Want PDP To Return To Power In 2023 – Babatope by Topmaike007(m): 7:47am On May 25, 2021
We need sensible Nigerians to come out from either pdp or Apc and see the person winning...

Even it's not bad if onye igbo come out from either party...
Re: Nigerians Want PDP To Return To Power In 2023 – Babatope by seunmsg(m): 7:52am On May 25, 2021
ShadowCracker:
Seunmsg tinubu said he is against Yoruba nation, he should be ready to leave Yorubaland for Sokoto angry.

There is no national consensus on Oduduwa republic. While I’m not against those agitating for it, I’m also not against those supporting it. Take a side and stick with it instead of fighting others over their choices.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Want PDP To Return To Power In 2023 – Babatope by helinues: 12:04pm On May 25, 2021
God forbid bad things
Re: Nigerians Want PDP To Return To Power In 2023 – Babatope by Tinubuadvocate: 12:07pm On May 25, 2021
Tope shut the fvk this is your president in 2023

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Armies Are Mad / We’re Seeking Explanation From FG On Kanu’s Arrest, Says Britain / Igboho Seeks Asylum In Benin Republic, Sues Malami, DSS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.