Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,504 members, 7,801,322 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:47 PM

Is Lagos State Richer Than Ghana? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Lagos State Richer Than Ghana? (1836 Views)

There Are Over 10 Billionaires In Onitsha,alaba And Ladipo Richer Than Elon Musk / "Nigerian Criminals Are Richer Than Policemen" -Abba Kyari Reveals / Aso Rock Insists Ambode Is Lagos APC Candidate Against Tinubu's Choice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Lagos State Richer Than Ghana? by jswitch(m): 12:04pm On May 26, 2021
https://gobe.com.ng/2021/05/24/is-lagos-state-richer-than-ghana/

Welcome to another edition of CHECTMATE on your favourite blog, www.gobe.com.ng

There has always been this debate and or comparison by some Nigerians about Nigerias economy and that of their West African neighbour, Ghana. Often out of anger and frustration in the Nigerian system that has not treated them fairly, some young Nigerians are of the opinion that Ghana is the jewel of the Sahara with a more robust, developed and bigger economy compared to Nigeria. How true is this statement?

Before I begin to dish out the statistics, I’d like to let you know that, by land mass, Lagos state is the smallest state in Nigeria.

Regardless of its status as the smallest state in Nigeria by land mass, Lagos is the most populated state in the country. And, if Lagos State was a country, it would have been the fifth largest economy in Africa. Yes! You heard me right; fifth largest economy in Africa. It is not what I think or suggest, it is what the statistics say.

With a Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of $90 billion in 2014, Lagos was ranked as the seventh largest economy in Africa. And in 2016, the size of its GDP increased to $131 billion, making it the fifth biggest economy in Africa just behind Nigeria, South Africa, Egypt, and Algeria.
and richer than the rest of Nigeria?

You might be wondering why Lagos is so rich. The reasons are not far fetched.

Lagos is home to the busiest seaports in Nigeria and West Africa; the Tin Can and Apapa ports which accounts for about 70 percent of all Nigerias imports. The Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos is one of the busiest airport in West Africa. Also, the Nigeria Stock Exchange (NSE) as well as 90 percent of the financial institutions and multi national corporations in Nigeria have their headquarters in Lagos state. Nigeria is undoubtedly controls the music industry in Africa and Lagos is the engine room that has been driving that progress.

Though Abuja is the Federal Capital Territory of Nigeria, it is a mere political capital while Lagos remains the financial and economic capital of Nigeria hence it is and will continuously maintain a higher GDP than Ghana, now and in the foreseeable future.
https://gobe.com.ng/2021/05/24/is-lagos-state-richer-than-ghana/
Re: Is Lagos State Richer Than Ghana? by Jesuschristus: 12:08pm On May 26, 2021
Itsnt by GDP alone,its by development
Re: Is Lagos State Richer Than Ghana? by Workch: 12:09pm On May 26, 2021
A lot of you don’t understand how GDP works
Re: Is Lagos State Richer Than Ghana? by Lamasta(m): 12:15pm On May 26, 2021
Our Ghana brothers will not agree to statistics they will start arguing with propaganda and quotes now...
Re: Is Lagos State Richer Than Ghana? by heniford2: 12:31pm On May 26, 2021
I saw someone compare Ghana economy and Nigeria own i was like Ghana why naw the problem we have in this country is bad leadership believe me we get it right na USA we suppose the point finger on us
Re: Is Lagos State Richer Than Ghana? by triple996(m): 12:38pm On May 26, 2021
Waillers go soon arrive to spat trash about their country. Bt truly lagos should be competing with Ghana as a whole.
Eko oni baje wooo grin
Re: Is Lagos State Richer Than Ghana? by kettykin: 12:38pm On May 26, 2021
This is a barefaced lie, lagos that can't generate a billion dollars reve

1 Like

Re: Is Lagos State Richer Than Ghana? by Wizzzzmike: 2:56pm On May 27, 2021
Lamasta:
Our Ghana brothers will not agree to statistics they will start arguing with propaganda and quotes now...
Yes Lagos is richer than Ghana but same Lagos is poorer than the whole of Ghana....ur not embarrassed lol
Re: Is Lagos State Richer Than Ghana? by helinues: 2:59pm On May 27, 2021
Ghana economy is not huge like Nigeria own but they are not doing bad economically
Re: Is Lagos State Richer Than Ghana? by Multiplier7(m): 6:15pm On May 27, 2021
Ghana is over rated. Period

(1) (Reply)

Video of how ESN stopped waec exam today / 2023: With Osinbajo-zulum Ticket, APC Would Win Election Before 12 Noon / Power Must Remain With North

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.