Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,629 members, 7,801,818 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:29 AM

How I Chopped 5k From A Zenith Bank Scammer - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How I Chopped 5k From A Zenith Bank Scammer (4385 Views)

Lady Gets N400 Airtime From Bank Scammer / Nigerian Man Arrested As Italian Girl Is Killed And Chopped Into Pieces / Woman Bites Off Lady's Ear In Bayelsa As Her Ear Gets Chopped Off. Graphic PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Chopped 5k From A Zenith Bank Scammer by Malawian(m): 12:37am On May 27, 2021
Ok, so I use VDT internet for my office work. Sometime 3 weeks ago, I tried to deposit money into my VDT account. I deposited 5,100.

Surprisingly, the transaction did not go through (No reflection on my VDT account) but my bank (Zenith) debited me. After waiting and refreshing all night, I decided to deposit another 5,200 (to diff the two transactions) and this time, the money went through.

So it now remained the small matter of tracing the whereabouts of my missing 5,100. I contacted both Zenith Bank via Twitter DM as well as VDT via WhatsApp. It took them a few days, but eventually, the money was credited into my VDT. I informed both parties and figured this was the end of the issue. How wrong I was.

Last week, I suddenly had a credit of 5,100 (the exact amount that was lost but found), I was bemused and even made a tweet to draw the attention of Zenith Bank, after I checked my VDT account and the money was still there. "Zenith Bank" replied. This is where it got interesting.

1 Like

Re: How I Chopped 5k From A Zenith Bank Scammer by Malawian(m): 12:38am On May 27, 2021
A person purporting to be a SM staff (Twitter) contacted me almost immediately and the scam attempt began.
Re: How I Chopped 5k From A Zenith Bank Scammer by Malawian(m): 12:39am On May 27, 2021
My discussion on WhatsApp with VDT below.

1 Like

Re: How I Chopped 5k From A Zenith Bank Scammer by Malawian(m): 12:39am On May 27, 2021
My discussion with Zenith on twitter

Re: How I Chopped 5k From A Zenith Bank Scammer by Malawian(m): 12:40am On May 27, 2021
The "Zenith Bank" Twitter staff and me below.
Like I have said, only Zenith Bank and VDT k ew of the missing money. No one else.

Re: How I Chopped 5k From A Zenith Bank Scammer by Malawian(m): 12:52am On May 27, 2021
Days passed and all was good until I suddenly got a credit alert for 5,100 from an unknown source. Please watch closely to see the ingenuity in this scam attempt. I will now show you and alerts for these, but first, understand it is only Zenith Bank and VDT that knows of the lost but found 5,100 transaction. No one else knows! Below is the SMS alert I got for the "Reversal" you will see something later.

Re: How I Chopped 5k From A Zenith Bank Scammer by 3verblazing(m): 12:57am On May 27, 2021
Na u be the scammer ...pple shld avoid you, you are capable of fraud...

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Chopped 5k From A Zenith Bank Scammer by Malawian(m): 1:02am On May 27, 2021
Pls forgive how disjointed this is, as I am doing this with my phone and screenshoting as I go. Continuing...
Now this is a other thing that bogged me. I got the OTP the fake Zenith Bank staff sent me and since I use Truecaller premium, it registered as Zenith Bank. Ordinarily I won't have smelt a rat as I used to delete bank and all the time to save disk space. Truecaller identified the fake channel where the fraud OTP came from a belonging to Zenith Bank. Watch and see below.

1 Share

Re: How I Chopped 5k From A Zenith Bank Scammer by Malawian(m): 1:02am On May 27, 2021
Notice the two instances of Zenith Bank and channels above. While the top one was where I got all my bank and and even the SMS for the 5,100 the scammer sent to me, the bottom one was where the scammer sent to curious OTP. Truecaller identified both as belonging to Zenith Bank.

I almost fell into this trap and even almost gave him the OTP until I went to see the OTP and realized it was alone in a new channel while all of my bank OTP and Alerts are in another channel.

At this point, I had to contact Zenith Bank on Twitter DM again to verify the authenticity of the second Zenith Twitter account I was chatting with all along.

Re: How I Chopped 5k From A Zenith Bank Scammer by Hashabiah: 1:05am On May 27, 2021
The story sef is lengthy and confusing undecided

16 Likes

Re: How I Chopped 5k From A Zenith Bank Scammer by Malawian(m): 1:28am On May 27, 2021
I seem to be missing a critical screenshot ony phone. But long and short is. The "Transaction Description" the scammer used when sending me the 5,100 bait, the mistake he made was writing it all in capital letters. Zenith Bank Transaction Description is just first letter capitalized.

Now while writing this it just occurred to me that it may just be that the banker gave out my transaction details to his scammer partner outside. Only Zenith Bank and VDT knew of this transaction. Did I forget to mention the Twitter "Zenith banker" blocked me immediately afterwards?

1 Like

Re: How I Chopped 5k From A Zenith Bank Scammer by Malawian(m): 1:48am On May 27, 2021
Alabi still collected the scammer's 5k from me.

10 Likes

Re: How I Chopped 5k From A Zenith Bank Scammer by Nobody: 3:27am On May 27, 2021
Enlightening.
You for just put am for one post. Nice one. You were lucky though.

1 Like

Re: How I Chopped 5k From A Zenith Bank Scammer by ozento: 4:49am On May 27, 2021
very lucky. some pipo will surely fall for it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Chopped 5k From A Zenith Bank Scammer by Nobody: 5:02am On May 27, 2021
Myn44,OAM4J
Re: How I Chopped 5k From A Zenith Bank Scammer by Sirmwill: 6:43am On May 27, 2021
Lalasticlala
dominique
mynd44
Re: How I Chopped 5k From A Zenith Bank Scammer by Olamilekxy(m): 7:01am On May 27, 2021
Front page material
Re: How I Chopped 5k From A Zenith Bank Scammer by Disclaimer12: 7:03am On May 27, 2021
All this long epistle sef dey more confusing than Buhari and Nigeria economy

12 Likes

Re: How I Chopped 5k From A Zenith Bank Scammer by Mayng01(m): 7:03am On May 27, 2021
Inside scammer
Re: How I Chopped 5k From A Zenith Bank Scammer by heykims(m): 7:51am On May 27, 2021
Thumps up
Re: How I Chopped 5k From A Zenith Bank Scammer by paulolee(m): 7:54am On May 27, 2021
good one
Re: How I Chopped 5k From A Zenith Bank Scammer by Revere27: 8:33am On May 27, 2021
Nice one Op.... Your number six dey active..

But it seems confusing Sha, but at the long run,we get the drift cheesy

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Chopped 5k From A Zenith Bank Scammer by Adewale1603(m): 8:39am On May 27, 2021
All these epistle on top 5k

1 Like

Re: How I Chopped 5k From A Zenith Bank Scammer by Nbotee(m): 8:58am On May 27, 2021
Adewale1603:
All these epistle on top 5k

Disclaimer12:
All this long epistle sef dey more confusing than Buhari and Nigeria economy

Very few people would decode dis as a scam. If only U know how many ppl dis guy would have defrauded and would still defraud on twitter considering his handle is even verified. Its not about the 5k, its about letting others know there is a verified twittrt account posing as ZenithBank to scam persons help desk which is
3verblazing:
Na u be the scammer ...pple shld avoid you, you are capable of fraud...

It is ur type dat scammers use to shine.

3 Likes

Re: How I Chopped 5k From A Zenith Bank Scammer by Thegracefulness: 9:10am On May 27, 2021
Malawian:
I seem to be missing a critical screenshot ony phone. But long and short is. The "Transaction Description" the scammer used when sending me the 5,100 bait, the mistake he made was writing it all in capital letters. Zenith Bank Transaction Description is just first letter capitalized.

Now while writing this it just occurred to me that it may just be that the banker gave out my transaction details to his scammer partner outside. Only Zenith Bank and VDT knew of this transaction. Did I forget to mention the Twitter "Zenith banker" blocked me immediately afterwards?

I took my time to read your post. You were wrong when you said Zenith Bank was collaborating with this scammer in an effort to dupe you. This is Twitter. Every tweets made from a public account is public. The “scammer” has been monitoring the Zenith bank’s official social media page, and saw tweets relating to your cry for assistance. Then the “scammer” decided to inbox you. Can’t you see the deceptiveness of the fake page is glaring? It has very few followers, and the username is deceitfully orchestrated to lure not-very bright individuals like you. Fortunately, you were quick to identify that this was a scam attempt. Next time be careful in your financial dealings. How much is five thousand (5000) Naira, that a Zenith Bank staff would collaborate to steal from you. Haha. Some of you sef.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Chopped 5k From A Zenith Bank Scammer by Thegracefulness: 9:11am On May 27, 2021
Re: How I Chopped 5k From A Zenith Bank Scammer by Malawian(m): 9:20am On May 27, 2021
Thegracefulness:

I took my time to read your post. You were wrong when you said Zenith Bank was collaborating with this scammer in an effort to dupe you. This is Twitter. Every tweets made from a public account is public. The “scammer” has been monitoring the Zenith bank’s official social media page, and saw tweets relating to your cry for assistance. Then the “scammer” decided to inbox you. Can’t you see the deceptiveness of the fake page is glaring? It has very few followers, and the username is deceitfully orchestrated to lure not-very bright individuals like you. Fortunately, you were quick to identify that this was a scam attempt. Next time be careful in your financial dealings. How much is five thousand (5000) Naira, that a Zenith Bank staff would collaborate to steal from you. Haha. Some of you sef.
That is just the thing, when I contacted Zenith Bank on Twitter, I used DM. I didn't tweet @ them publicly, so only Zenith Bank staff would have known about the missing money.

2 Likes

Re: How I Chopped 5k From A Zenith Bank Scammer by Akinfemmy(m): 9:21am On May 27, 2021
Nbotee:

Very few people would decode dis as a scam. If only U know how many ppl dis guy would have defrauded and would still defraud on twitter considering his handle is even verified. Its not about the 5k, its about letting others know there is a verified twittrt account posing as ZenithBank to scam persons help desk which is

It is ur type dat scammers use to shine.

The account isn't verified. The verified sign is attached already in the picture he uses as dp. Even from the twitter handle, you'd know it's a fake account.

2 Likes

Re: How I Chopped 5k From A Zenith Bank Scammer by Malawian(m): 9:23am On May 27, 2021
Thegracefulness:

It had a whole much followers when we were chatting, all of a sudden, all his followers and following disappeared. It was like film. But what I found bizzare was that a random guy on Twitter would know about a transaction I only informed Zenith Bank via DM. There is no other explanation other than the scammer work with Zenith Bank, or the scammer has a partner who work with Zenith Bank.

1 Like

Re: How I Chopped 5k From A Zenith Bank Scammer by Malawian(m): 9:27am On May 27, 2021
Akinfemmy:

The account isn't verified. The verified sign is attached already in the picture he uses as dp. Even from the twitter handle, you'd know it's a fake account.
Ordinarily it would be obvious, but how did the scammer know about my transaction? Mind you, this guy followed me first on Twitter before I followed back, then the discussion began. I was targeted for this scam attempt with that 5,100 as bait. How did the scammer know of that 5,100 I only informed Zenith via DM and DM alone. I didn't tweet openly about it. I know how to use Twitter.

1 Like

Re: How I Chopped 5k From A Zenith Bank Scammer by Xilsbridalhouse(f): 9:31am On May 27, 2021
Malawian:

It had a whole much followers when we were chatting, all of a sudden, all his followers and following disappeared. It was like film. But what I found bizzare was that a random guy on Twitter would know about a transaction I only informed Zenith Bank via DM. There is no other explanation other than the scammer work with Zenith Bank, or the scammer has a partner who work with Zenith Bank.
Highly suspicious.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pictures Of The Oyinbo Man Who Ordered Soldiers To Beat A Lady In Lagos / Graphical: A Dog Attecked & Eat 1-year-old Baby In Abuja (graphic Pictures) / See What A Housemaid Was Caught Doing In A Kitchen After Being Pressed. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.