Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,409 members, 7,808,456 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:10 PM

Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? (2069 Views)

Which Of The Churches Today Is Following Jesus Christ's Teachings? / Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness / Human Righteousness And The Righteousness Of God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by jesusjnr2020(m): 12:35pm On Jun 21, 2021
perezeghi:

To keep the word of Jesus is to live just as he lived. That's the entirety of keeping His Word.
In live both in words and in deeds.
Does your words bring edification to another who hears you?
Can anyone see how you live and would want to emulate/imitate you to completion?

If truly it means what you claim to know then Jesus Christ would not be bothered about saying this to this man in Matthew 19:21.
John 6:63 (KJV)

It's is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

The Words of Jesus are the Words of the Spirit which gives eternal life, so forget about trying to edify people, just do your part and teach people His Words as He commanded us to do and It would take care of the rest.

You can check my dp to see the difference it could make.

As for Matthew 19:21, you would see that it wasn't about having eternal life but being perfect, but it appears you can't comprehend the difference. That was the answer to the man's second question, not the first. The first was about having eternal life and it had already been answered, and according to Jesus, it was to keep God's Word which is the works of righteousness!
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by Tochj(m): 1:10pm On Jun 21, 2021
His death on the cross would have been nothing if works is required for salvation.
Pharisees and Sadducees are doing the work like kilode.
But they're not the requirements
His righteousness is the only requirement for salvation.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by Kobojunkie: 1:43pm On Jun 21, 2021
perezeghi:
I hope you know that the context of "believe" in that scripture means "to have faith"

That which you quoted is laying emphasis on the bread of life as God's Word. That was why Jesus told Satan that man shall not live by bread alone but by every word that comes out from the mouth of God.
You're taking the word too literal. You need to have a balanced knowledge of the Scriptures. Read Luke 22:19-20. Kindly read more than one Bible version.

Nicodemus was a religious man and Jesus Christ was showing Him a new path. That new path can only be achieved through the help of the Holy Spirit. Without Him in your living every thing done is nothing but bit mere religious activities.
1. Even in Jesus Christ, your faith points to the works done iin continual submission to and obedience of the teaching and commandments of Jesus Christ - without this Faith, it is impossible to please God as God is only honored by our obedience of His commandments to us. undecided

So yes, I was saved and born-again by faith in Jesus Christ which requires careful trust and obedience of the very teachings and commandments regarding this as given in His Truth which is the very Word out of God's own mouth. undecided

2. In John 6 vs 55 -58, Jesus Christ tells you in plan speak that His body and His blood are real food, not abstract things. Why else do you think some of his followers abandoned Him after hearing this teaching from Him - John 6 vs 66 ?

3. In John 3 vs 5 - 8, Jesus Christ explained to you what it means to be born again - to be born of water and to be born of Spirit. And we know that John the Baptist, from Matthew 3 vs 7 -11, explained clearly to us what it means to be born of water. And in Ezekiel 36 vs 25 -26, God Himself explained a bit of what takes place when a person is born of water and born of Spirit- He gets a new spirit installed inside of him by God, the Holy Spirit comes after one is born again and this , according to Jesus Christ, if one continues in submission to and obedience of the teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ- John 14 vs 20 -21.

4. According to Jesus Christ, the gates are doors into His Kingdom - Matthew 7 vs 13-14. undecided

As you can see, rather than dabble in man's doctrines and traditions as you seem filled with, I like to deal and trust in what God says of all these things- the Word out of God's own mouth - His Truth. And this explains why I didn't hit born-again status over-night but over time as it dawned on me that this was meant as a process, by God Himself, and not some magical transformation of sorts that happens after you say a prayer and wish some happy thoughts or two. undecided

5. The same new path Jesus Christ spoke to Nicodemus of is the very same which applies to each and everyone who desires to enter into the Kingdom of God. And throughout the conversation, Jesus Christ never once mentions the Spirit of God, not even as a guide in entering into the Kingdom, and how can - John 3 vs 1 - 21. After all, one must be made holy before the Spirit of God can inhabit such a one, and those who enter the Kingdom of God are not made perfect/holy. undecided
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 1:44pm On Jun 21, 2021
Gullah:
Christ did not emphasize the works of righteousness. As at the time Christ was living, the new covenant of grace was not yet operational so he was teaching them according to the law of moses that was in operation during his time. At his death and resurrection, a new convenant was established that created a relationship between man and God that is not dependent or rely on the good works of man but rather on grace by faith in the already finished work of Christ. Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved, end of story!!
License to sin.
Ok
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by Kobojunkie: 1:50pm On Jun 21, 2021
Tochj:
His death on the cross would have been nothing if works is required for salvation.
Pharisees and Sadducees are doing the work like kilode.
But they're not the requirements
His righteousness is the only requirement for salvation.
Actually, His death on the cross carries with it a meaning different from what you were taught in the many doctrines and traditions of men you have been fed with. undecided

The Pharisees and Sadducees were instead busy doing their own works, according to their own doctrines and traditions, not God's commandments to them - Matthew 15 vs 1 - 14. undecided

Salvation you recieve in Jesus Christ is from Death, not from sin. Righteousness comes afterwards and this from your continual submission and obedience of the teaxhings and commandments of Jesus Christ- John 15 vs 7 - 11.
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by perezeghi: 4:13pm On Jun 21, 2021
Kobojunkie:
1. Even in Jesus Christ, your faith points to the works done iin continual submission to and obedience of the teaching and commandments of Jesus Christ - without this Faith, it is impossible to please God as God is only honored by our obedience of His commandments to us. undecided

There's no scripture where faith is derived from obeying God's word.

2. In John 6 vs 55 -58, Jesus Christ tells you in plan speak that His body and His blood are real food, not abstract things. Why else do you think some of his followers abandoned Him after hearing this teaching from Him - John 6 vs 66 ?

Just as it was for those that left Him so it is for some of us that have left Him or going astray. It's all because of our understanding and that's the greatest weapon Satan uses.

3. In John 3 vs 5 - 8, Jesus Christ explained to you what it means to be born again - to be born of water and to be born of Spirit. And we know that John the Baptist, from Matthew 3 vs 7 -11, explained clearly to us what it means to be born of water. And in Ezekiel 36 vs 25 -26, God Himself explained a bit of what takes place when a person is born of water and born of Spirit- He gets a new spirit installed inside of him by God, the Holy Spirit comes after one is born again and this , according to Jesus Christ, if one continues in submission to and obedience of the teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ- John 14 vs 20 -21.

Try go back and read the Scripture. If you fail to understand the context it's being used then you fail to get the meaning. I will only pity those who will give themselves to you for explanation. You do well to quote verses but can't explain.

4. According to Jesus Christ, the gates are doors into His Kingdom - Matthew 7 vs 13-14. undecided

Jesus keeps telling His disciples " how come you do not understand" and even the Pharisee who claimed to know and don't know.

As you can see, rather than dabble in man's doctrines and traditions as you seem filled with, I like to deal and trust in what God says of all these things- the Word out of God's own mouth - His Truth. And this explains why I didn't hit born-again status over-night but over time as it dawned on me that this was meant as a process, by God Himself, and not some magical transformation of sorts that happens after you say a prayer and wish some happy thoughts or two. undecided

Whatever works for you is good as long as it's approved by God.

5. The same new path Jesus Christ spoke to Nicodemus of is the very same which applies to each and everyone who desires to enter into the Kingdom of God. And throughout the conversation, Jesus Christ never once mentions the Spirit of God, not even as a guide in entering into the Kingdom, and how can - John 3 vs 1 - 21. After all, one must be made holy before the Spirit of God can inhabit such a one, and those who enter the Kingdom of God are not made perfect/holy. undecided
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by Kobojunkie: 4:17pm On Jun 21, 2021
perezeghi:

There's no scripture where faith is derived from obeying God's word.

Just as it was for those that left Him so it is for some of us that have left Him or going astray. It's all because of our understanding and that's the greatest weapon Satan uses.

Try go back and read the Scripture. If you fail to understand the context it's being used then you fail to get the meaning. I will only pity those who will give themselves to you for explanation. You do well to quote verses but can't explain.

Jesus keeps telling His disciples " how come you do not understand" and even the Pharisee who claimed to know and don't know.

Whatever works for you is good as long as it's approved by God.
1. Faith is not derived either. It is a pointer to ones works... and from the very beginning, all those who were accorded faith in God,have all had one major thing in common, and that is that they all did works in submission to and obedience of God's direct commandments to them - Abel, Enoch, Abraham, Job, David,etc., Not a single person was said to have pleaded God in disobedience. undecided

I can give you an absolute verse as I did not come by this knowledge through the reading of a verse or two. Nope, I did as Jesus Christ said to do- I used basic comprehension skills I have in human language and book, the dots were connected for me by Him. undecided

2. Well, according to Jesus Christ, only those who use the little understanding they have will be given more. Those who refuse to do as Jesus Christ commands will have even the little understanding they have taken away from them....Parable of the 10 talents - Matthew 25 vs 14 - 30. So clearly, the major problem is not a lack of understanding but a refusal to obey the commandments of Jesus Christ even in this, a rejection of His teachings and commandments. undecided

3. I am afraid I am not the one who does not understand what is clearly written in scripture in this. undecided
Again, In John 3 vs 5 - 8, Jesus Christ explained to you what it means to be born again - to be born of water and to be born of Spirit. And we know that John the Baptist, from Matthew 3 vs 7 -11, explained clearly to us what it means to be born of water. And in Ezekiel 36 vs 25 -26, God Himself explained a bit of what takes place when a person is born of water and born of Spirit- He gets a new spirit installed inside of him by God, the Holy Spirit comes after one is born again and this , according to Jesus Christ, if one continues in submission to and obedience of the teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ- John 14 vs 20 -21.

4. God's Law isn't about whatever works for one. The same Law applies to each and everyone who will choose Jesus Christ. There is no pass given to those who think they can cherry-pick where the Law is concerned...you either accept All of it or you are better off taking none of it. undecided

Those who enter into the Kingdom of God through the broad gate are those who cherry-pick as even though they believe in Jesus Christ, they condemned for refusal to obey God's every comandments/rules. Only the few who carefully obey the teachings & commands of Jesus Christ gain entrance through the narrow gate which leads to reward. undecided

Yes, those who are damned, this including the demons and devils, all believe in God, and Jesus Christ . undecided
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by jesusjnr2020(m): 8:43pm On Jun 22, 2021
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by jesusjnr2020(m): 6:44am On Jun 25, 2021
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by jesusjnr2020(m): 7:24am On Jun 28, 2021
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by jesusjnr2020(m): 9:02pm On Jun 28, 2021
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by jesusjnr2020(m): 9:46pm On Jun 29, 2021
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by jesusjnr2020(m): 7:09am On Jul 01, 2021
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by jesusjnr2020(m): 7:03am On Jul 02, 2021
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by jesusjnr2020(m): 8:38pm On Jul 20, 2021
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by Bodydiialect57: 10:03pm On Jul 20, 2021
Gullah:
You are putting the cart before the horse. The salvation of a man is not dependent on his good works, he is saved by the faith in and acceptance of the finished work of Christ. The works you should be referring to is that which was spoken of in the book of James, it's a product of salvation not a contributor to it. In order words, your good works can't save you but when you are already saved, your salvation will bear good fruits in you or manifest in form of you living a life that's pleasing to God. We are not saved because of our good works rather our works become good because we are saved. It's God who works in us both to will and to do of his good pleasure. Your so called righteous works are nothing but filthy rags before God, no man can be saved by them.
Well said.
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by Bodydiialect57: 10:06pm On Jul 20, 2021
Kobojunkie:
1. No man can be saved except he/she submits to and obeys the stipulated commandments and teachings of Jesus Christ, the only one through whom the salvation which is sought after is guaranteed undecided

2.No man can enter into the Kingdom of God without first submitting to and obeying at least some of necesssary commandments stipulated by Jesus Christ, the Law of the Kingdom of God. undecided

3. No man can enter into the Kingdom of God through the Narrow gate that leads to Kingdom of Heaven unless he/she submits to and obeys all of the stipulated commandments. Those who only obey some of the commandments enter in through the broad gate that leads to the Kingdom of Hell. undecided
Can you explain the bolded, please?
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by Kobojunkie: 10:14pm On Jul 20, 2021
Bodydiialect57:

Can you explain the bolded, please?
There are particular commandments that Jesus Christ marked as necessary in order to become worthy of Him. Those are the commandments I refer to. For example

“Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace. I came to bring trouble.[h]
I have come to make this happen:

‘A son will turn against his father.
A daughter will turn against her mother.
A daughter-in-law will turn against her mother-in-law.
Even members of your own family will be your enemies.’

“Those who love their father or mother more than they love me are not worthy of me.
And those who love their son or daughter more than they love me are not worthy of me.
Those who will not accept the cross that is given to them when they follow me are not worthy of me.
Those who try to keep the life they have will lose it. But those who give up their life for me will find true life. - Matthew 10 vs 34 - 39
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by jesusjnr2020(m): 8:26am On Jul 27, 2021
Re: Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? by jesusjnr2020(m): 7:48am On Aug 14, 2021

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Story Of Adam And Eve Makes Sense To Me / Did The Roman Empire Invent Christianity? Answers By Chatgpt / Former Christian Priests And Missionaries Who Have Embraced Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.