Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:16 AM

The Lord's Day Vs The Sabbath - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Lord's Day Vs The Sabbath (1298 Views)

Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? / The Fourth Commandment: The Sabbath. / Shabbat Is YAHUAH's Day (the Lord's Day), Not Sunday... Happy SUN-worship Day! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Lord's Day Vs The Sabbath by Nobody: 7:14pm On May 29, 2021
The Lord's Day
1. The Lord's Day in Christianity is generally Sunday, the principal day of communal worship. This is derived from the day Jesus resurrected. And it is observed by most Christians as the weekly memorial of the resurrection of Christ. Take note that the phrase appears in Rev 1:10.
On the Lord’s Day I was in the Spirit, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet,
Revelation 1:10 NIV

2. Christians worship on Sunday in the 1st Century.
https://books.google.com.ng/books?id=6j-fDxGEeGIC&pg=PA47&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false
(Sorry, I had to copy the whole link so tou dont think it is a spam or virus. Its google books online)

3. Christian meeting on Sundays and breaking of break. Act 20.7

4. Collection day at Corinth. They used to meet on the first day as collection day just like how offerings are collected today on Sundays.
On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with your income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made.
1 Corinthians 16:2 NIV

I do not want to go into arguments and the origin (who people say first started observing Sabbath Sunday) because it is of no use. I just want to point out the biblical facts here.

The seventh-day Sabbath
1. The seventh-day Sabbath is observed from Friday evening to Saturday evening. It is an important part of the beliefs and practices of seventh-day churches. There are more than 30 denominations observing it.

2. Biblical references such as the ancient Hebrew practice of beginning a day at sundown, and the Genesis creation narrative wherein an "evening and morning" established a day; the Ten Commandments (the command to keep the sabbath).

3. God rested Gen 2.2-3, Ex 31:17

4. Keep the Sabbath. Ex 20.8-11, Ex31:13, Ex 23.12, Deut 5.13-14.

Why is the day we worship God so important?
I am curious why the day we adopt is so important. Fine, the 7th-day Sabbath was established by God...hmmm. Does it mean the act of breaking of break on the 1st century wasn't accepted by God? If not, what is your proof? Yeah! I know God talked about the 7th Day, but are you sure the worship of these folks weren't accepted?

Is it not a strong point which is reasonable to worship the day Jesus came back to life which is on Sunday?

On the other hand, are you sure God has abolished worshipping Him on Sabbaths? What is the real proof the Sabbath has been moved from Saturday to Sunday? So why do you condemn those worshipping on Saturdays?

My position
I attend services on Sunday, but if I found myself in a city where services are only on Saturdays today, I would gladly attend as long as I am convinced the church is a spirit filled church. It doesnt matter to me if the day of worship is on Saturdays or Sundays. What matters most is the check inside me which is the discerning spirit. As soon as I feel the flow of the spirit, that is it.

What about you? Do you agree or disagree with me? What are your reasons?
Re: The Lord's Day Vs The Sabbath by IjapaTiroko: 7:20pm On May 29, 2021
Your post is an attempt to educate Nigerian Christians on what's real and what's not.
But little did you know that most Nigerians don't like anything positively different (and factual like in your case).

Nice try though.

Some will soon arrive to start arguing like dimwits

1 Like

Re: The Lord's Day Vs The Sabbath by OkCornel(m): 7:31pm On May 29, 2021
Interesting and mentally stimulating topic worth discussing.

Good stuff @ Peacejoylove!

I’ll have a look at the book in your post. God bless you.
Re: The Lord's Day Vs The Sabbath by Jashub: 7:47pm On May 29, 2021
JW and trash are at it again undecided
Re: The Lord's Day Vs The Sabbath by jom28gy(m): 8:01pm On May 29, 2021
From where
Re: The Lord's Day Vs The Sabbath by Nobody: 8:02pm On May 29, 2021
IjapaTiroko:
Your post is an attempt to educate Nigerian Christians on what's real and what's not.
But little did you know that most Nigerians don't like anything positively different (and factual like in your case).

Nice try though.

Some will soon arrive to start arguing like dimwits
We must but continue to educate then. Mind you, there are foreigners who behave like this too, not only Nigerians. The spirit behind religion is the same all over the world.

OkCornel:
Interesting and mentally stimulating topic worth discussing.

Good stuff @ Peacejoylove!

I’ll have a look at the book in your post. God bless you.
Please do. God bless!

Jashub:
I am not even sure of their position, but certainly I am not one. You may check my thread on "There is no denomination with God", and see how they dragged issues with me.

Your position is what you should state and explain. There is no need to drag any denomination into this.
Re: The Lord's Day Vs The Sabbath by MaxInDHouse(m): 8:20pm On May 29, 2021
Why not straighten issues with the OP and see if you can find any single person on this planet with which you'll share the same line of thought?
Don't worry about JWs, if you're not satisfied with our beliefs look for your fellow believers who will agree with you. John 17:20-13
We are JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES and we are OK with our beliefs! smiley

Jashub:

2 Likes

Re: The Lord's Day Vs The Sabbath by Jashub: 8:45pm On May 29, 2021
PeaceJoyLove:

We must but continue to educate then. Mind you, there are foreigners who behave like this too, not only Nigerians. The spirit behind religion is the same all over the world.

Please do. God bless!

I am not even sure of their position, but certainly I am not one. You may check my thread on "There is no denomination with God", and see how they dragged issues with me.

Your position is what you should state and explain. There is no need to drag any denomination into this.
There is nothing to state. Your views and biblical beliefs are very very different from mine, and it would be stupid to debate such. Only time and tide would tell on the last day.
Re: The Lord's Day Vs The Sabbath by Nobody: 7:31am On May 30, 2021
Excellent!

I am happy debaters are getting it that my threads are not for them. Please, people who want to discuss without making nuisa.nce of themselves should enter here. smiley
Re: The Lord's Day Vs The Sabbath by MaxInDHouse(m): 8:17am On May 30, 2021
When two persons who feels they're knowledgeable but with different ideas meets debating will surely lead to agreement or disagreement. If it's disagreement then each person will respect the other and wave bye but if they agree then they'll become brothers due to sharing one line of thought.
You can never find a single person that will agree with you completely without a debate, the only place where that is possible is in true Christianity.
So nobody will discuss with you once they're sure you won't like a debate over what you feel is right.
That's the TRUTH there is no church on this planet where two members will come on faceless social media and agree except JWs. I tell you that with 100% assurance today! smiley

PeaceJoyLove:

Excellent!

I am happy debaters are getting it that my threads are not for them. Please, people who want to discuss without making nuisa.nce of themselves should enter here. smiley
Re: The Lord's Day Vs The Sabbath by Janosky: 1:36pm On May 30, 2021
PeaceJoyLove:
The Lord's Day
1. The Lord's Day in Christianity is generally Sunday, the principal day of communal worship. This is derived from the day Jesus resurrected. And it is observed by most Christians as the weekly memorial of the resurrection of Christ. Take note that the phrase appears in Rev 1:10.
On the Lord’s Day I was in the Spirit, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet,

https://books.google.com.ng/books?id=6j-fDxGEeGIC&pg=PA47&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false
(Sorry, I had to copy the whole link so tou dont think it is a spam or virus. Its google books online)

4. Collection day at Corinth. They used to meet on the first day as collection day just like how offerings are collected today on Sundays.
On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with your income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made.

I do not want to go into arguments and the origin (who people say first started observing Sabbath Sunday) because it is of no use. I just want to point out the biblical facts here.

The seventh-day Sabbath
1. The seventh-day Sabbath is observed from Friday evening to Saturday evening. It is an important part of the beliefs and practices of seventh-day churches. There are more than 30 denominations observing it.

2. Biblical references such as the ancient Hebrew practice of beginning a day at sundown, and the Genesis creation narrative wherein an "evening and morning" established a day; the Ten Commandments (the command to keep the sabbath).

I am curious why the day we adopt is so important. Fine, the 7th-day Sabbath was established by God...hmmm. Does it mean the act of breaking of break on the 1st century wasn't accepted by God? If not, what is your proof? Yeah! I know God talked about the 7th Day, but are you sure the worship of these folks weren't accepted?

Is it not a strong point which is reasonable to worship the day Jesus came back to life which is on Sunday?

On the other hand, are you sure God has abolished worshipping Him on Sabbaths? What is the real proof the Sabbath has been moved from Saturday to Sunday? So why do you condemn those worshipping on Saturdays?

My position
I attend services on Sunday, but if I found myself in a city where services are only on Saturdays today, I would gladly attend as long as I am convinced the church is a spirit filled church. It doesnt matter to me if the day of worship is on Saturdays or Sundays. What matters most is the check inside me which is the discerning spirit. As soon as I feel the flow of the spirit, that is it.

Jashub:

Triune pagan idols worshipper, face your triune pagan deities devotees squarely & jejely.
Pls leave JWs out of your "spirit filled" confusion.
grin

Jashub:
There is nothing to state. Your views and biblical beliefs are very very different from mine, and it would be stupid to debate such. Only time and tide would tell on the last day.
Jashub & PeaceJoyLove are "triune spirit filled" Triune pagan idols worshippers receiving different conflicting revelations from the same 'oly ghost DECEIVING both of them.

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Lord's Day Vs The Sabbath by Jashub: 1:46pm On May 30, 2021
Janosky:

Triune pagan idols worshipper, face your triune pagan deities devotees squarely & jejely.
Pls leave JWs out of your "spirit filled" confusion.
grin

Jashub & PeaceJoyLove are "triune spirit filled" Triune pagan idols worshippers receiving different conflicting revelations from the same 'oly ghost DECEIVING both of them.

grin grin grin grin grin grin

You and I do not serve the same God sire. I thought by now that would be crystal clear
Re: The Lord's Day Vs The Sabbath by Janosky: 3:09pm On May 30, 2021
Jashub:
You and I do not serve the same God sire. I thought by now that would be crystal clear
JWs don't serve Jashub's Triune idol deities.
That's true.

Why is the same 'oly ghost giving Jashub & PeaceJoyLove, his fellow Triune idol worshipper, conflicting revelations about the same Sabbath, topic of this thread ?
grin grin grin grin
Re: The Lord's Day Vs The Sabbath by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:17pm On May 30, 2021
The OP thought FAITH is cheap but please Janosky let's leave the OP and allow her see for herself if she can ever find peace in the religion of her choice.
What she failed to realise is that her so called Daddy GO and other title chiefs are just making money from them. What each churchgoer has in mind contradicts the other and their religious title chiefs doesn't care.
The only organization where members have the same line of thought awaits anyone who cherishes UNITY in FAITH! John 17:20-23 smiley

Janosky:

JWs don't serve Jashub's Triune idol deities.
That's true.
Why is the same 'oly ghost giving Jashub & PeaceJoyLove, his fellow Triune idol worshipper, conflicting revelations about the same Sabbath, topic of this thread ?
grin grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Lord's Day Vs The Sabbath by Nobody: 7:44pm On May 30, 2021
Religious tolerance is something we should always preach. Personally, from all indications, neither is there evidence to be bold and say the 6th-day Sabbath is no more acceptable, nor the Sunday Sabbath. Please, if you have a strong reason why you disagree with me, kindly bring out facts:

1. Show us your position is right. For example, show us why the 6th Sabbath is the right one, or why the Sunday Sabbath is.
2. Show us the other side is wrong. Show us why the Sunday Sabbath is not, or why the 6th-day Sabbath is not.

Please, there is no need to bring JW or any denomination into it. Kindly drop your evidences. Even I do not agree with youx many readers here can agree with you. Therefore, try to write positively and respectfully like someone with christian values (I am guilty of getting angry here too, but this time, let's show we can do better).

Let's read from you.

Eviana, kindly come here too. This time, no one will attack you for sharing your thought. I'll personally shield you. I just want to read your view since you are an Adventist.
Re: The Lord's Day Vs The Sabbath by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:10pm On May 30, 2021
Only JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES appreciate God's word!

Wait and see for yourself if you're ever going to get just one person that will agree with you, even amongst the followers of your daddy GO none as in nobody will ever agree with you on any topic unless you humbly accept whatever anyone says without saying anything at all.
If you try to say a word it will turn sour that's what Jesus himself said about false Christians! Luke 11:23 smiley

PeaceJoyLove:
Religious tolerance is something we should always preach. Personally, from all indications, neither is there evidence to be bold and say the 6th-day Sabbath is no more acceptable, nor the Sunday Sabbath. Please, if you have a strong reason why you disagree with me, kindly bring out facts:

1. Show us your position is right. For example, show us why the 6th Sabbath is the right one, or why the Sunday Sabbath is.
2. Show us the other side is wrong. Show us why the Sunday Sabbath is not, or why the 6th-day Sabbath is not.

Please, there is no need to bring JW or any denomination into it. Kindly drop your evidences. Even I do not agree with youx many readers here can agree with you. Therefore, try to write positively and respectfully like someone with christian values (I am guilty of getting angry here too, but this time, let's show we can do better).

Let's read from you.

Eviana, kindly come here too. This time, no one will attack you for sharing your thought. I'll personally shield you. I just want to read your view since you are an Adventist.
Re: The Lord's Day Vs The Sabbath by Nobody: 2:55am On May 31, 2021
Babcock University is one of the best private schools in Nigeria and it is owned by the 7th-Day Adventist. This church has trained some of our youths. Quite impressive with the standard of the school.. But I am still not sure if they oppose Sunday-Sabbath. I just want to be sure what they say about it. Are they saying God doesnt accept Sunday-Sabbath worship? If this is the case what are their reasons?

I know only about the Adventist in Nigeria. Is there any fraction which broke out of the 7th day Adventist here in Nigeria?
Re: The Lord's Day Vs The Sabbath by Bishopkingsley(m): 1:50pm On Aug 13, 2021
PeaceJoyLove:
The Lord's Day

The seventh-day Sabbath

My position

Do those Saturday worship church beliefs holy spirit is God
Re: The Lord's Day Vs The Sabbath by Dtruthspeaker: 2:48pm On Aug 13, 2021
PeaceJoyLove:

My position

My humble opinion is you are in Violation of The Law of God for He Severally and Repeatedly Commanded, "Keep The Sabbath, (the 7th) .

If you look carefully, you will see that God was very Angry with Moses for not teaching and compelling His Elect to observe the Sabbath. Exodus 16:28/29.

Complete Obedience to God is greater the "check inside you".

Further, The Count of A Day in the eye of The Lord is "the evening and the morning" and not morning and evening as you think. Genesis 1:5, 8,13 Exodus 16:8 etc

Therefore, Sabbath commences Friday Evening until Saturday late afternoon.

Now you understand why the evil put the religion of Clubbing and Sinning on Friday Nights.

It is meant to desecrate and defile The Holy-Day!
Re: The Lord's Day Vs The Sabbath by Dtruthspeaker: 2:56pm On Aug 13, 2021
PeaceJoyLove:

My position

My humble opinion is you are in Violation of The Law of God for He Severally and Repeatedly Commanded, "Keep The Sabbath, (the 7th) .

If you look carefully, you will see that God was very Angry with Moses for not teaching and compelling His Elect to observe the Sabbath. Exodus 16:28/29.

Obedience to The Words that Come Out of The Mouth of God IS SUPREME!

Further, The Count of A Day in the eye of The Lord is "the evening and the morning" and not morning and evening as you think. Genesis 1:5, 8,13 Exodus 16:8 etc.

The Lord, Jesus Christ Hallowed and Respected that Day which is why He Rose up on the Day After Sabbath.

And IT IS ONLY BY COUNTING THE DAYS Using The Law of the evening and the morning, that the Resurrection of The Lord would fullly fill 3 Days.

Now you understand why the evil put the religion of Clubbing and Sinning on Friday Nights.

Re: The Lord's Day Vs The Sabbath by Bishopkingsley(m): 3:04pm On Aug 13, 2021
Colossians 2:16 ►
New International Version
Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.

New Living Translation
So don’t let anyone condemn you for what you eat or drink, or for not celebrating certain holy days or new moon ceremonies or Sabbaths.

English Standard Version
Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath.

Berean Study Bible
Therefore let no one judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a feast, a New Moon, or a Sabbath.
Re: The Lord's Day Vs The Sabbath by Bishopkingsley(m): 3:05pm On Aug 13, 2021
Sabbath is no longer a specific day event lol Jesus is our sabbath
Re: The Lord's Day Vs The Sabbath by Bishopkingsley(m): 3:07pm On Aug 13, 2021
Romans 14:5 ►

One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind.

New Living Translation
In the same way, some think one day is more holy than another day, while others think every day is alike. You should each be fully convinced that whichever day you choose is acceptable.

Romans 14:6 ►

Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.

New Living Translation
Those who worship the Lord on a special day do it to honor him. Those who eat any kind of food do so to honor the Lord, since they give thanks to God before eating. And those who refuse to eat certain foods also want to please the Lord and give thanks to God.
Re: The Lord's Day Vs The Sabbath by Bishopkingsley(m): 3:15pm On Aug 13, 2021
Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord.

In other words

Whoever regards one day(Monday, Tuesday, Sunday etc ) as special does so to the Lord.
Re: The Lord's Day Vs The Sabbath by Bishopkingsley(m): 3:16pm On Aug 13, 2021
Those who worship the Lord on a special day do it to honor him.

In other words
. Those who worship the Lord on a special day (etc every day) do it to honor him.
Re: The Lord's Day Vs The Sabbath by Dtruthspeaker: 3:50pm On Aug 13, 2021
Bishopkingsley:
Those who worship the Lord on a special day do it to honor him.

In other words
. Those who worship the Lord on a special day (etc every day) do it to honor him.

"If you Love Me, Keep My Commandments" is The Law!

To Obey God, is better than everything else!
Re: The Lord's Day Vs The Sabbath by Nobody: 4:39pm On Aug 13, 2021
Bishopkingsley:

Do those Saturday worship church beliefs holy spirit is God

For the 7th Day Adventist, I do not know about others..until they come out and share with us.
According to the website Eviana shared for the Adventists:
https://www.adventist.org/beliefs/

Re: The Lord's Day Vs The Sabbath by Nobody: 4:42pm On Aug 13, 2021
Bishopkingsley:

One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind.

New Living Translation
In the same way, some think one day is more holy than another day, while others think every day is alike. You should each be fully convinced that whichever day you choose is acceptable.

Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.

New Living Translation
Those who worship the Lord on a special day do it to honor him. Those who eat any kind of food do so to honor the Lord, since they give thanks to God before eating. And those who refuse to eat certain foods also want to please the Lord and give thanks to God.
I go with this. This is my stand too. When I see the truth, I stand by it. But when I see any shady, I counter it fast.
Re: The Lord's Day Vs The Sabbath by Nobody: 4:42pm On Aug 13, 2021
Bishopkingsley:

New Living Translation

New Living Translation
Re: The Lord's Day Vs The Sabbath by Nobody: 4:46pm On Aug 13, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

Obedience to The Words that Come Out of The Mouth of God IS SUPREME!

Further, The Count of A Day in the eye of The Lord is "the evening and the morning" and not morning and evening as you think. Genesis 1:5, 8,13 Exodus 16:8 etc.

The Lord, Jesus Christ Hallowed and Respected that Day which is why He Rose up on the Day After Sabbath.

And IT IS ONLY BY COUNTING THE DAYS Using The Law of the evening and the morning, that the Resurrection of The Lord would fullly fill 3 Days.

I am not going to say you are wrong with your faith. This is an issue of preference as far as I am concerned. And all you quote are in the old testament. If your faith is based on the old testament only, it is fine.

If you have to go against the first day observers, you will need to do more. You will need to go against the New Testament and prove beyond reasonable doubt that those who worshipped God on the first day are in violation of it.

I will give you a point I want yoy to counter in my next post. If you can counter this point and tell me that the participants are in violation of the word of God, then, I will accept that Sundays services are in vain.
Re: The Lord's Day Vs The Sabbath by Kobojunkie: 4:51pm On Aug 13, 2021
In Jesus Christ, everyday is Sabbath day, a day of rest from the work imposed by God on man since Adam as Jesus Christ has called on all those who will follow Him to give up on working and sweating for food that perishes - cursed food. He instead commands them to work for food that endures to eternity, food only He, Jesus Christ can give them. - John 6 vs 25 - 39 undecided

Jesus Christ came declaring to all , come to me all you who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest.
28 “Come to me,(A) all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.(B) 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,(C) for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.(D) 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”(E)- Matthew 11 vs 28 - 30
That rest He gives us is everyday rest from the struggles of this world - the condemnation of Sin- Genesis 3 vs 14 - 19. undecided
Re: The Lord's Day Vs The Sabbath by Bishopkingsley(m): 4:57pm On Aug 13, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

"If you Love Me, Keep My Commandments" is The Law!

To Obey God, is better than everything else!

New Living Translation
So don’t let anyone condemn you for what you eat or drink, or for not celebrating certain holy days or new moon ceremonies or Sabbaths.

You should each be fully convinced that whichever day you choose is acceptable.

Even with God explaining sabbath to you in new testaments you still want to kill him like sabbath people did during the time of Jesus

Wake up from sabbath bondage

Among all the laws sabbath is the only one that was given to actually help you and help you rest and God explained it in new testaments above yet you want to fight his explanation

God said use Bible to explain Bible
God is showing you the definition of sabbath

And you want to insist that you know more than God Bible

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is There Any Scientific Proof That Females Were Created From Men's Ribs? / Man Who Disguises As Woman To Get Married In Catholic Church Dies Days Ahead / According To The Islamic Narrative: It Appears that Gabriel is a Co-Creator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.