Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,498 members, 7,781,504 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:45 PM

Senate Passes Bill Abolishing HND/BSc Dichotomy - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Senate Passes Bill Abolishing HND/BSc Dichotomy (47475 Views)

FG Approves Abolition Of HND/BSC Dichotomy / May Day: Kano Govt. Abolishes HND, Bsc Dichotomy / Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Passes Bill Abolishing HND/BSc Dichotomy by parkervero(m): 10:10am On Jun 06, 2021
Mckeni007:
It's very selfish to compare an HND to a Bsc
One who's supposed to be an assistant Lecturer in university is an HOD in the politechnic.
Universities lecture politechnic lecturers
Politechnic is a dumping ground for below average intellectual students
Politechnic admission process is more like that of a secondary school

are you really a university graduate? Ignorance exudes in you, nigga.
Re: Senate Passes Bill Abolishing HND/BSc Dichotomy by parkervero(m): 10:13am On Jun 06, 2021
bcomputer101:
Make una keep deceiving yourself.

How will you compare Bsc with ordinary HND.

To get admission in University, you need to score as high above 200 in JAMB.
But with just 120, you will get admission in any Polytechnic of your choice.

Incase you want to beat me, come my house

I doubt if you are a university graduate. Try to ask some polytechnic students their jamb scores before you go ahead with ignorance.
Re: Senate Passes Bill Abolishing HND/BSc Dichotomy by parkervero(m): 10:24am On Jun 06, 2021
jolyment:

Not the same environment, the lecturers in universities have higher qualifications and training. You can find out.
What is the highest qualification you are talking about? Except if there is other qualification higher than PhD. PhD holders are the ones lecturing the higher classes in the Polytechnics which is also in the university.
Re: Senate Passes Bill Abolishing HND/BSc Dichotomy by bcomputer101: 10:40am On Jun 06, 2021
parkervero:

I doubt if you are a university graduate. Try to ask some polytechnic students their jamb scores before you go ahead with ignorance.

If you are unfortunate to be a polytechnic graduate, I'm not the cause of your predicament.
You can cry me a river.
Re: Senate Passes Bill Abolishing HND/BSc Dichotomy by parkervero(m): 10:49am On Jun 06, 2021
bcomputer101:

If you are unfortunate to be a polytechnic graduate, I'm not the cause of your predicament.
You can cry me a river.

Mo.ron is who you are. You are such an unfortunate being and morally handicapped one who exudes pseudointellectual on topics you are intellectually deficient in.
Re: Senate Passes Bill Abolishing HND/BSc Dichotomy by bcomputer101: 11:01am On Jun 06, 2021
parkervero:

Mo.ron is who you are. You are such an unfortunate being and morally handicapped one who exudes pseudointellectual on topics you are intellectually deficient in.

You're the greatest victim of foolishness.
If your father is a poor man, then he caused it.
He should have made the best and wise decision of using you for money rituals. Even if ur proceeds na roofing sheet be Wetin him go gain for a 30 by 30 bungalow still na something e gain.

Or is your brain doing menstruation?
Re: Senate Passes Bill Abolishing HND/BSc Dichotomy by parkervero(m): 11:18am On Jun 06, 2021
bcomputer101:

You're the greatest victim of foolishness.
If your father is a poor man, then he caused it.
He should have made the best and wise decision of using you for money rituals. Even if ur proceeds na roofing sheet be Wetin him go gain for a 30 by 30 bungalow still na something e gain.

Or is your brain doing menstruation?

Wow! you're indeed the product of faulty sperm. Product of one night stand you are. The sperm that produced you should have been dropped in condom and disposed in soak away . Your mother must have committed suicide cos of your dementia, poor mother. You really need rehab so your mother would stop crying in the grave.
Re: Senate Passes Bill Abolishing HND/BSc Dichotomy by nelsonose: 6:23pm On Jun 11, 2021
It is quite unfortunate that people still attend Polytechnics these days particularly beyond the ND level.
Take it or leave it, HND and Degree can never be at par no matter whatever legislation that is made.
First Polytechnics where designed to produce middle level manpower unlike the Universities that are set up to produce high level manpower for the economy.
Arising from the above, the structural framework on which both institution operate in terms of the quality of facilities and manpower are quite different. For example, how many professors and P.hD holders do you find in a Polytechnic as lecturers? Rather, you see HND and B.Sc lecturers there rising up to their peak as Chief Instructors and Chief Lecturers respectively.
Yes, studying in the Polytechnic may be quite rigorous. This is as a result of the over zealousness of teachers and drivers of the system in their false allusion that the system is same and equally to the University.
The word University is derived from "UNIVERSAL". This means University degrees can be globally evaluated. This is unlike the HND which lacks global assessment or recognition as some countries are unable to determine its value or placement.
Finally, if the government is serious in its attempt in equating HND with B.Sc, what similar effort has been made to amend the scheme of service of the federation to accommodate the envisaged equality.
Just like many other attempt made before now, this is another effort that may also end in mere talk.
Re: Senate Passes Bill Abolishing HND/BSc Dichotomy by parkervero(m): 8:28pm On Jun 11, 2021
nelsonose:
It is quite unfortunate that people still attend Polytechnics these days particularly beyond the ND level.
Take it or leave it, HND and Degree can never be at par no matter whatever legislation that is made.
First Polytechnics where designed to produce middle level manpower and high level man power unlike the Universities that are set up to produce high level manpower for the economy.
Arising from the above, the structural framework on which both institution operate in terms of the quality of facilities and manpower are quite different. For example, how many professors and P.hD holders do you find in a Polytechnic as lecturers? Rather, you see HND and B.Sc lecturers there rising up to their peak as Chief Instructors and Chief Lecturers respectively.
Yes, studying in the Polytechnic may be quite rigorous. This is as a result of the over zealousness of teachers and drivers of the system in their false allusion that the system is same and equally to the University.
The word University is derived from "UNIVERSAL". This means University degrees can be globally evaluated. This is unlike the HND which lacks global assessment or recognition as some countries are unable to determine its value or placement.
Finally, if the government is serious in its attempt in equating HND with B.Sc, what similar effort has been made to amend the scheme of service of the federation to accommodate the envisaged equality.
Just like many other attempt made before now, this is another effort that may also end in mere talk.

You have little to no knowledge of how the two system is run. For you to even mention professor and PhD holders shows it all.
Re: Senate Passes Bill Abolishing HND/BSc Dichotomy by nelsonose: 12:36am On Jun 12, 2021
parkervero:

You have little to no knowledge of how the two system is run. For you to even mention professor and PhD holders shows it all.
I am open to knowledge, please educate me.
The truth is that some hardworking lecturers/staff of the Polytechnic hold M.Sc/P.hDs and this is seen as personal as the system does not recognize the acquisition of higher degrees as compulsory or needed for their career advancement. That is, with just a B.Sc, a Polytechnic Lecturer can rise to the peak of his career. This is not same in the University . In the University, a B.Sc Lecturer has no voice in the system untill he acquires a P.hD. Beyond this, he strives to earn as much scholarly publications locally and internationally as possible to his credit to speed up his career progression.
To drive this dichotomy between HND and B.Sc home further, within the Polytechnics system, teachers with HND qualification are tagged "Instructors" while their B.Sc counterparts are called "Lecturers".
I am priviledged to have attended a Polytechnic before moving to the University and I can confidently say that Polytechnic training is rigorous, detailed and challenging too but regrettably the two institutions are not rated at par due to the different mandate in the laws that set them up. Consequently, the certificates awarded by the institution are not ranked paripassu
Re: Senate Passes Bill Abolishing HND/BSc Dichotomy by parkervero(m): 3:03am On Jun 12, 2021
nelsonose:

I am open to knowledge, please educate me.
The truth is that some hardworking lecturers/staff of the Polytechnic hold M.Sc/P.hDs and this is seen as personal as the system does not recognize the acquisition of higher degrees as compulsory or needed for their career advancement. That is, with just a B.Sc, a Polytechnic Lecturer can rise to the peak of his career. This is not same in the University . In the University, a B.Sc Lecturer has no voice in the system untill he acquires a P.hD. Beyond this, he strives to earn as much scholarly publications locally and internationally as possible to his credit to speed up his career progression.
To drive this dichotomy between HND and B.Sc home further, within the Polytechnics system, teachers with HND qualification are tagged "Instructors" while their B.Sc counterparts are called "Lecturers".
I am priviledged to have attended a Polytechnic before moving to the University and I can confidently say that Polytechnic training is rigorous, detailed and challenging too but regrettably the two institutions are not rated at par due to the different mandate in the laws that set them up. Consequently, the certificates awarded by the institution are not ranked paripassu

That is necessarily not correct. Just do a little more research on why the products of the polytechnic agitate on the dichotomy at work and not otherwise. Probably you didn't study technology related course while you were there if indeed you attend at all and practice afterwards .
Re: Senate Passes Bill Abolishing HND/BSc Dichotomy by nelsonose: 8:30am On Jun 12, 2021
parkervero:

That is necessarily not correct. Just do a little more research on why the products of the polytechnic agitate on the dichotomy at work and not otherwise. Probably you didn't study technology related course while you were there if indeed you attend at all and practice afterwards .

The agitation you referred to results from the perceived discrimination against the HND fellow in the workplace. Take note. Nobody is saying that the HND chap is not good at what he does or studied and sometimes better than his B.Sc colleague. The truth is that both certificates are not ranked equivalent as the B.Sc is rated above HND this is irrespective of the individual's proficiency in his job.
Do you know that COREN (Council of Registered Engineers of Nigeria) do not recognize HND as equivalent of B.Sc? Please find out.
It is time therefore for the Polytechnics to assume their positions and accept that their certificate as NOT EQUIVALENT TO DEGREE for the citizens to be properly guided.
Re: Senate Passes Bill Abolishing HND/BSc Dichotomy by parkervero(m): 3:08pm On Jun 12, 2021
nelsonose:

The agitation you referred to results from the perceived discrimination against the HND fellow in the workplace. Take note. Nobody is saying that the HND chap is not good at what he does or studied and sometimes better than his B.Sc colleague. The truth is that both certificates are not ranked equivalent as the B.Sc is rated above HND this is irrespective of the individual's proficiency in his job.
Do you know that COREN (Council of Registered Engineers of Nigeria) do not recognize HND as equivalent of B.Sc? Please find out.
It is time therefore for the Polytechnics to assume their positions and accept that their certificate as NOT EQUIVALENT TO DEGREE for the citizens to be properly guided.
The certificate are not the same, agreed. One is degree the other is diploma. But I believe the same courses are thought in those institutions of learning just that one teaches and focuses more on the practical which does not necessarily mean you won't have theoretical knowledge as well, than the other which teaches and focuses on research. However, the only departments that focus more intensely in research and learning are the faculties of medicine and law others are bunch of lacram lapo, lapo laforget departments. And it will surprise you how the products of polytechnic sound and exude confidence on the field, actually not all just as not all university products sound in theoretical aspect as well.
What we are saying is, give them level playing ground with the university graduate and pick the best that solve real problem and not paper problem.

Bsc rating above HND vis-à-vis should be abolished.

Elon musk said something recently, "I don't care whether you have degree or not as long as you can prove you have the skill you can work for me". I don't think he went to conventional college but professors are working for him.

In all your narrative, you dwell so much on certificate than practical skill.

And by the way, why did you think the US accept HND holders to run Masters direct without PGD?

@bold so, if you have a company and you have someone with HND who is proficient in his job, he delivers topnotch service to support the company and Bsc holder (the same field with HND)who is not proficient but speaks grammar up and down you are going to place the bsc holder ahead of someone who by his proficiency has contributed to the growth of the company?
Re: Senate Passes Bill Abolishing HND/BSc Dichotomy by Tekenny: 4:34pm On Jun 14, 2021
Please sir, with all due respect, your argument is not in the right direction. Stop encouraging issues like this.

Sorry sir, the university curriculum is very clear in engineering from class room to lab and to workshop. And I presume this is so far all departments

Using medical department to Justify your argument shows that you haven't visited enough universities and review the syllabus.

Have you ever seen US enrolling students into diploma program as a degree equivalent? I believe you know that US higher qualifications begin from ASSOCIATE'S DEGREE before bachelor's...

It is a disgrace and a shameful act to table this kind of matter. A reasonable leader would stop the diploma program at ND level. Until this is done, I will assume that our leaders still lack wisdom

Let's
parkervero:

The certificate are not the same, agreed. One is degree the other is diploma. But I believe the same courses are thought in those institutions of learning just that one teaches and focuses more on the practical which does not necessarily mean you won't have theoretical knowledge as well, than the other which teaches and focuses on research. However, the only departments that focus more intensely in research and learning are the faculties of medicine and law others are bunch of lacram lapo, lapo laforget departments. And it will surprise you how the products of polytechnic sound and exude confidence on the field, actually not all just as not all university products sound in theoretical aspect as well.
What we are saying is, give them level playing ground with the university graduate and pick the best that solve real problem and not paper problem.

Bsc rating above HND vis-à-vis should be abolished.

Elon musk said something recently, "I don't care whether you have degree or not as long as you can prove you have the skill you can work for me". I don't think he went to conventional college but professors are working for him.

In all your narrative, you dwell so much on certificate than practical skill.

And by the way, why did you think the US accept HND holders to run Masters direct without PGD?

@bold so, if you have a company and you have someone with HND who is proficient in his job, he delivers topnotch service to support the company and Bsc holder (the same field with HND)who is not proficient but speaks grammar up and down you are going to place the bsc holder ahead of someone who by his proficiency has contributed to the growth of the company?
Re: Senate Passes Bill Abolishing HND/BSc Dichotomy by nelsonose: 7:31pm On Jun 14, 2021
Tekenny:
Please sir, with all due respect, your argument is not in the right direction. Stop encouraging issues like this.

Sorry sir, the university curriculum is very clear in engineering from class room to lab and to workshop. And I presume this is so far all departments

Using medical department to Justify your argument shows that you haven't visited enough universities and review the syllabus.

Have you ever seen US enrolling students into diploma program as a degree equivalent? I believe you know that US higher qualifications begin from ASSOCIATE'S DEGREE before bachelor's...

Let's

You have said it all. The degree and HND are two distinct qualifications for different purposes. They are NOT substitute, equivalent or same in any respect no matter the personal skills or proficiencies anyone may profess.
The drivers of the polytechnic system are deceiving the people and creating tension in the work places. Is it not laughable that sometime ago, they attempted coming up with the Post HND programme to assume the "equivalent" of a Masters Degree. Very ridiculous!
It is time to stop this confusion. If you want a degree, please go to the University.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Some Striking Fact You Won't Believe Until You Do Research!!! / Alvan Ikoku Hostel UNN After Heavy Rainfall Yesterday / UNIVERSITY OF ILORIN 2014/2015 THREAD. BETTER BY FAR.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.