Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,856 members, 7,802,748 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:38 PM

A Disguised Attempt To Regulate Social Media - NBA Threatens Action Over Twitter - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Disguised Attempt To Regulate Social Media - NBA Threatens Action Over Twitter (12799 Views)

#EndSARS: We Must Regulate Social Media Before It Destroys Us – Lai Mohammed / Judges Are Not Permitted To Speak To The Media - NBA Boss / Akpabio, Tinubu Meet As PDP Threatens Action. PIC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Disguised Attempt To Regulate Social Media - NBA Threatens Action Over Twitter by valentineuwakwe(m): 12:09am On Jun 05, 2021
The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) has slammed the federal government for suspending the operation of Twitter in Nigeria.

The legal body also threatened to challenge the decision in court.

In a series of tweet on Friday, the President of NBA, Olumide Akpata, noted that Nigeria is operating a democracy, which stipulates that every action of the government must be backed by the law.

Akpata said the directive to the Nigeria Communications Commission (NCC) to begin the process of licensing all OTT and social media operations in Nigeria, “is another disguised attempt to regulate social media, restrict freedom of speech and shrink civic space.”

He added that the NBA “finds no constitutional or legal authority to support the peremptory action of the Federal Government to suspend the operations of Twitter in Nigeria.”

Akpata called on the government to immediately reverse the decision, or the NBA will “have no choice but to challenge same in the interest of the public and for the sake of our democracy.”
source:https://dailypost.ng/2021/06/04/a-disguised-attempt-to-regulate-social-media-nba-threatens-action-over-twitter-ban/

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Disguised Attempt To Regulate Social Media - NBA Threatens Action Over Twitter by Daveambition(m): 12:09am On Jun 05, 2021
Oluwa; which kinda lawless Zooyard be this sef

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Disguised Attempt To Regulate Social Media - NBA Threatens Action Over Twitter by Built2last: 12:11am On Jun 05, 2021
Ok
Re: A Disguised Attempt To Regulate Social Media - NBA Threatens Action Over Twitter by budaatum: 1:58am On Jun 05, 2021
Good to see some people are helping to fight for our democratic right to freely express ourselves!

And no, the irony of twitter silencing buharis right to freely express himself is not exactly lost on me though I think buhari's tweet was very ill advised, and is the sort of thing he should have said to bokoharam.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Disguised Attempt To Regulate Social Media - NBA Threatens Action Over Twitter by odduduwa: 2:00am On Jun 05, 2021
valentineuwakwe:
The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) has slammed the federal government for suspending the operation of Twitter in Nigeria.

The legal body also threatened to challenge the decision in court.

In a series of tweet on Friday, the President of NBA, Olumide Akpata, noted that Nigeria is operating a democracy, which stipulates that every action of the government must be backed by the law.

Akpata said the directive to the Nigeria Communications Commission (NCC) to begin the process of licensing all OTT and social media operations in Nigeria, “is another disguised attempt to regulate social media, restrict freedom of speech and shrink civic space.”

He added that the NBA “finds no constitutional or legal authority to support the peremptory action of the Federal Government to suspend the operations of Twitter in Nigeria.”

Akpata called on the government to immediately reverse the decision, or the NBA will “have no choice but to challenge same in the interest of the public and for the sake of our democracy.”

source:https://dailypost.ng/2021/06/04/a-disguised-attempt-to-regulate-social-media-nba-threatens-action-over-twitter-ban/
these guys are not doing enough , buhari no longer hides his disgust for Nigerian masses , let's shut down this country and dare those few fools who thing Nigeria is their fathers property

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Disguised Attempt To Regulate Social Media - NBA Threatens Action Over Twitter by aylive02(m): 6:02am On Jun 05, 2021
The is the dumbest thing I have ever read from a northerner. Imagine calling 'Twitter an IPOB machine'.

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Disguised Attempt To Regulate Social Media - NBA Threatens Action Over Twitter by InaNla(f): 6:02am On Jun 05, 2021
Absolutely.

Anarchy loom!

We warned Nigerians against the terrorist organization called APC and their flag bearer, the coup plotter cum jihadist.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Disguised Attempt To Regulate Social Media - NBA Threatens Action Over Twitter by GboyegaD(m): 6:02am On Jun 05, 2021
Hopefully they will take action and not just rant.

This is the challenge when we made an incompetent person our president.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Disguised Attempt To Regulate Social Media - NBA Threatens Action Over Twitter by Elock1: 6:03am On Jun 05, 2021
sad
I just book this space.
I no know wetin to comment again

Since way u dy comment wetin done happen?
Abi na comment we go chop?

Re: A Disguised Attempt To Regulate Social Media - NBA Threatens Action Over Twitter by EnEnPeecee: 6:04am On Jun 05, 2021
Nonsense

The same Twitter you have been using for years has suddenly turned into an enemy of the Nigerian cyber space simply because a docile, stupid and useless president waz sanctioned for violating it rules..

Instead learning from the activities of Twitter and repositioning this useless system that has failed in addressing the numerous challenges of corruption in governance, the efulefus are busy fighting Twitter. May be the fools thinks since anything goes in Nigeria, same may applies to other communities .

We have on several occasions warned this administration of it flagrant disobedience and violations of the rights of the citizenry, but been the autocratic leader Buhari is, he cares less.

The story of Twitter sanctioning Buhari has once again vindicated us and with this, the whole world shoul beam their searchlight on Nigeria and thoroughly investigate, evaluate, and sanction this useless regime of crassness.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Disguised Attempt To Regulate Social Media - NBA Threatens Action Over Twitter by Sunofgod(m): 6:04am On Jun 05, 2021
Buhari is a twit...

1 Like

Re: A Disguised Attempt To Regulate Social Media - NBA Threatens Action Over Twitter by Whois(m): 6:05am On Jun 05, 2021
Buhari is too primitive in thinking

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Disguised Attempt To Regulate Social Media - NBA Threatens Action Over Twitter by IMASTEX: 6:06am On Jun 05, 2021
Don't worry Northern chapter will soon refute you guys. Meanwhile, You can only deceive people that you're very good in swimming when not in the water. Their lies have long expired & they have totally run-out hence the need to block every means of communication.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Disguised Attempt To Regulate Social Media - NBA Threatens Action Over Twitter by tunwumi: 6:09am On Jun 05, 2021
Who are this one?
Re: A Disguised Attempt To Regulate Social Media - NBA Threatens Action Over Twitter by PrinceofHCI(m): 6:11am On Jun 05, 2021
Everything is for a reason!
Remember that 'he who the gods want dead, first make mad'
Yes, this the evolving madness in the scheme of things for, the rulers of the failed/expired and extinguishing, contraption!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Disguised Attempt To Regulate Social Media - NBA Threatens Action Over Twitter by Ohibenemma(m): 6:11am On Jun 05, 2021
Don't threaten to act, just act please
Re: A Disguised Attempt To Regulate Social Media - NBA Threatens Action Over Twitter by ChiefSosa(m): 6:16am On Jun 05, 2021
Which kind anyhow vex be this wey buhari dey suspend twitter. Me wey i be Chief, dem delete my comments for Nairaland, I still collect ban join, when I mail mods say why dem ban me, i feel say dem go reason me unto say Lalasticlala na my elder brother, instead dem give me additional 4 bans, shey I vex? No. Instead, i served my prison time, I came out of prison and now I'm a good and productive citizen of Nairaland.....Small thing buhari don vex, only God know whether e don turn Osinbajo and Aisha to Punching bag.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Disguised Attempt To Regulate Social Media - NBA Threatens Action Over Twitter by gambia(m): 6:18am On Jun 05, 2021
Empty threats everywhere is all I see, Buhari was once a failure and presently he's still a failure.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Disguised Attempt To Regulate Social Media - NBA Threatens Action Over Twitter by EnEnPeecee: 6:20am On Jun 05, 2021
They can ban Twitter in the core arewa since they already lost touch with reality. The north is the major problem this country has. Very dirty, stupid, backward and useless people

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Disguised Attempt To Regulate Social Media - NBA Threatens Action Over Twitter by rawtouch: 6:22am On Jun 05, 2021
grin

take action nor deh threaten action, if they do this unchallenged then suspending the constitution has begun

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Disguised Attempt To Regulate Social Media - NBA Threatens Action Over Twitter by zeyt: 6:26am On Jun 05, 2021
It seems NBA is one of the problems of Nigeria. Democracy in general is alien to Nigerian why of doing things. It works best for the western world. I believe it is what will destroy Nigeria eventually. Nigerians are mostly criminals best handled by an iron fist instead of being tied down by democratic bottlenecks. You may be shocked but eventually you might find out the truth.

3 Likes

Re: A Disguised Attempt To Regulate Social Media - NBA Threatens Action Over Twitter by chukwuibuipob: 6:30am On Jun 05, 2021
shocked
Re: A Disguised Attempt To Regulate Social Media - NBA Threatens Action Over Twitter by Sarmiz24(m): 6:36am On Jun 05, 2021
FYI: for those who don’t wanna go through the stress of VPN just download Chrome and go to Incognito, then browse Twitter from there freely thanks
We will always be 100 steps ahead of them, thier papa left yansh

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Disguised Attempt To Regulate Social Media - NBA Threatens Action Over Twitter by Jiroville300: 6:43am On Jun 05, 2021
zeyt:
It seems NBA is one of the problems of Nigeria. Democracy in general is alien to Nigerian why of doing things. It works best for the western world. I believe it is what will destroy Nigeria eventually. Nigerians are mostly criminals best handled by an iron fist instead of being tied down by democratic bottlenecks. You may be shocked but eventually you might find out the truth.
\

Fellows like you are the major problems ..!!!! utterly senile and deranged

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Disguised Attempt To Regulate Social Media - NBA Threatens Action Over Twitter by Grace001: 6:45am On Jun 05, 2021
Lie Muhammad right now... He is at 80% stage of regulating social media in Nigeria... That’s a dream come true for him

[img]https://media1./images/1c7a6e5e1465c36258a1b769bd0941ab/tenor.gif?itemid=7317261[/img]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Disguised Attempt To Regulate Social Media - NBA Threatens Action Over Twitter by CocoaOla: 6:47am On Jun 05, 2021
Buhari was threatening igbo with genocide on Twitter and it violate Twitter law American president was suspended for similar tweet Nigeria leader are lawless and stupid they think they are god

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Disguised Attempt To Regulate Social Media - NBA Threatens Action Over Twitter by babyfaceafrica: 7:02am On Jun 05, 2021
NBA has been very docile

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Disguised Attempt To Regulate Social Media - NBA Threatens Action Over Twitter by Snowx: 7:04am On Jun 05, 2021
InaNla:
Absolutely.

Anarchy loom!

We warned Nigerians against the terrorist organization called APC and their flag bearer, the coup plotter cum jihadist.

Anarchy emenated since #endsars
Re: A Disguised Attempt To Regulate Social Media - NBA Threatens Action Over Twitter by Snowx: 7:06am On Jun 05, 2021
You taking it to court?? Bihari will laugh at you if he heard you said this, he owns the court and law is in his hand, what he like he does...you can't do shit...Bihari na dumb ass

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Disguised Attempt To Regulate Social Media - NBA Threatens Action Over Twitter by otomatic(m): 7:19am On Jun 05, 2021
Good. The only problem is the courts are on strike.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Disguised Attempt To Regulate Social Media - NBA Threatens Action Over Twitter by Josywhyte: 7:23am On Jun 05, 2021
RIP Nigeria. This is what our FG can fight against(tweeter) instead insecurity. Buhari is a DEMON

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kaduna Gets NSCDC Rapid Response Squad To Checkmate Attacks On Schools / Explosions Rock Jos At Christmas: 20 Killed / House Of Representatives Approves June 12 As Democracy Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.