Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,448 members, 7,801,069 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:36 AM

My Poultry Journey (layers) - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Poultry Journey (layers) (1950 Views)

My Poultry Journey... / My Poultry Farming Experience! / This Is The Snake Killing My Chickens & Tampering With Their Eggs In My Poultry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Poultry Journey (layers) by sniperwolf(m): 12:10pm On Jun 05, 2021
I have always had interest of having a medium to large scale poultry farm (5,000 - 10,000 birds) from a friend in the financial sector that is also fascinated in poultry farming .

My poultry farming journey started early January of 2020 no single knowledge of poultry farming. Details of developments might be missing because I don't usually take pictures of developments.

I'm not a good storyteller, so I will summarize as much as I can and share experience

As at August of 2020, Pen house was at the stage of development from the 1st and 2nd image
By September, I was done with the Pen house and was trying to roof the store and management room

Re: My Poultry Journey (layers) by sniperwolf(m): 12:33pm On Jun 05, 2021
At October, the pen was 80% ready. The two rooms opposite each other are the brooding rooms.

I don't know where battery cages can be purchased in Owerri so I was in contact with someone here on Nairaland for that purpose. His office location was in Ibadan. Ordinarily, we would have done business without seeing, but with the rate of fraudulent activities in the country there was a need for me to visit Ibadan for the 1st time since there were no financial service that provided escrow services .
3rd image at the popular Amala Skye where I visited too.

By December, the cages were being installed...

Re: My Poultry Journey (layers) by sniperwolf(m): 12:40pm On Jun 05, 2021
The installation guy finished with the cages on Christmas Day and went back to Ibadan that same day.
Christmas was celebrated at the site. I was happy with the level of work done and where we were.
The target was to finish every physical structure by the end of the year.

Re: My Poultry Journey (layers) by sniperwolf(m): 12:56pm On Jun 05, 2021
...By January, I was scared when the 1st batch of 500 were to come. I was scared that I might fail because of all the experience that I have read here on Nairaland. I get courage from watching YouTube videos on poultry farms.

Every progress of the farm was recorded
I had 4 casualties in the 1st week, the professional that was visiting the farm attributed it to cold. We do have brooding gas in the brooder so I was surprised how cold could have killed anyone because the place is always too hot for me and the farm workers

Re: My Poultry Journey (layers) by Holiegrail2: 1:05pm On Jun 05, 2021
Weldon Op,
Re: My Poultry Journey (layers) by sniperwolf(m): 1:25pm On Jun 05, 2021
First outbreak was cough at WEEK 8, over 10 birds were largely infected with their eyes blinded. I feared the worst, the affected ones were isolated and fed manually. Luckily or unluckily we only lost one when.

Next casualties were out of carelessness, we lost 9 when trying to vaccinate them. They died of stampede. I thought that will be the worst of it all.

Boom! WEEK 11, we woke up to 10 deaths, 25 deaths, 23 deaths, 16 deaths at 4 consecutive days. I was furious. These things did not die at tender age only for them to be dying off at WEEK 11. My professional came in and noticed that they were sick of coccidial. Anticoccidial was only administered in the WEEK 2 only. Coccifor was given at the day we lost 25 so it was dropping from the progression.

At WEEK 12, we had 3, 2, 3, 1 consecutive deaths. My professional said it must be from the ones badly infected by the coccidial
Re: My Poultry Journey (layers) by sniperwolf(m): 1:30pm On Jun 05, 2021
At WEEK 13, their new home was much ready to receive them. They were put into the cage

Re: My Poultry Journey (layers) by sniperwolf(m): 1:44pm On Jun 05, 2021
Our 1st revenue came from sale of their droppings.
Birds were segmented in the weigh-class.
At WEEK 19, we got our 1st egg and it did not come from the ones that were weighing 1.5kg and over, it came from 1.3-1.4kg segment.

It was consistent for 4 days before another came from the 1.5kg segment

As at today in WEEK 20, bird count is 402 and we are getting 4 eggs/day

Re: My Poultry Journey (layers) by sniperwolf(m): 2:02pm On Jun 05, 2021
Birds are healthy-looking

Re: My Poultry Journey (layers) by sniperwolf(m): 2:15pm On Jun 05, 2021
New batch of 1,000 are in and we are fully ready for the challenge. Schedule are planned ahead from the experience of the 1st batch. We had a few casualties already because the chicks spent a day at the hatchery without food and water while receiving vaccination.

Re: My Poultry Journey (layers) by sniperwolf(m): 2:25pm On Jun 05, 2021
Cost so far from when the 1st batch came is is about 1.5 million.
Witness 1 broken egg sometime in May

Re: My Poultry Journey (layers) by Greenarrow01(m): 3:01pm On Jun 05, 2021
Boss pls can you tell us how much you spent on the building proper and cages ?
Did you install cages for .500 birds. Or 1500 or 5000

1 Like

Re: My Poultry Journey (layers) by sniperwolf(m): 3:19pm On Jun 05, 2021
Greenarrow01:
Boss pls can you tell us how much you spent on the building proper and cages ?
Did you install cages for .500 birds. Or 1500 or 5000

I can't remember the building cost, but I know it is over 4 million with the fencing
As for the cages 1.025 million
Security and water supply
Management and store house
Side view of the pen

Re: My Poultry Journey (layers) by Greenarrow01(m): 3:44pm On Jun 05, 2021
sniperwolf:

I can't remember the building cost, but I know it is over 4 million with the fencing
As for the cages 1.025 million
Security and water supply
Management and store house
Side view of the pen

Lol when I saw this
I wanted to tell you that this looks like survival poultry.
I just kept my cool
They are very good
I have them on IG and I go just to view their post on there.
I wish you the best sir.

@survivalpoultry
We go soon run things by God's grace
Re: My Poultry Journey (layers) by talk2hb1(m): 9:31am On Jun 06, 2021
Good Work, keep it up
Re: My Poultry Journey (layers) by dalexy101037(m): 11:39am On Jun 06, 2021
Well done OP ... My observation ... You need to prepare ways to fight heat when the climate is very hot .. It would have been good if u had raise ur pen to some certain level ..like doing some high rise building before erecting the pen on it ..
Re: My Poultry Journey (layers) by dalexy101037(m): 11:42am On Jun 06, 2021
How do u manage ur waste ? Did you dig pit ?
Re: My Poultry Journey (layers) by sniperwolf(m): 12:12pm On Jun 06, 2021
dalexy101037:
How do u manage ur waste ? Did you dig pit ?

Yes, there is a waste disposal pit in the compound
Re: My Poultry Journey (layers) by Gozychuks(m): 12:52pm On Jun 06, 2021
What’s the average food consumption per mature bird in kg
Re: My Poultry Journey (layers) by sniperwolf(m): 1:30pm On Jun 06, 2021
Gozychuks:
What’s the average food consumption per mature bird in kg
I can't do this analysis... Average consuption of the 402 birds is 1½ bags per day and ie. 37.5kg.
1 bird will consume 37.5/402 = 0.0933kg = 93.3g
Re: My Poultry Journey (layers) by kasmail(m): 10:19pm On Jun 06, 2021
This is impressive ... Following this post .
Re: My Poultry Journey (layers) by sniperwolf(m): 9:34pm On Jun 07, 2021
dalexy101037:
Well done OP ... My observation ... You need to prepare ways to fight heat when the climate is very hot .. It would have been good if u had raise ur pen to some certain level ..like doing some high rise building before erecting the pen on it ..

I will take note of this in our next expansion, but the pen is quite chilling with ¾ of the pen opened
Re: My Poultry Journey (layers) by bizzibodi(m): 9:10pm On Jun 14, 2022
@sniperwolf why did you end this thread abruptly,we wanted to learn from your experiences to d end,are you still in business or you have put up your farm for sale?
Re: My Poultry Journey (layers) by sniperwolf(m): 10:37pm On Jun 14, 2022
bizzibodi:
@sniperwolf why did you end this thread abruptly,we wanted to learn from your experiences to d end,are you still in business or you have put up your farm for sale?

We are still in business and expanding rapidly with an additional 3,800 capacity battery cage system

Re: My Poultry Journey (layers) by sniperwolf(m): 10:38pm On Jun 14, 2022
2,500 capacity brooder for raising layers and for broilers

Re: My Poultry Journey (layers) by bizzibodi(m): 10:01am On Jun 15, 2022
sniperwolf:

We are still in business and expanding rapidly with an additional 3,800 capacity battery cage system
Good,you still need to tell us your success story.
Re: My Poultry Journey (layers) by OboloMAN: 1:29am On Dec 25, 2022
Following

Where is your farm located?
Re: My Poultry Journey (layers) by Kobojunkie: 2:59am On Jan 03, 2023
Nice system you seem to have there. undecided
Re: My Poultry Journey (layers) by captain2020(m): 7:40am On Jun 16, 2023
No update again?

(1) (Reply)

Grasscutters,Rabbits and SNAILS (POL) For Sell In Lagos PICTURES / Customised Orchad & Plantation Irrigation With Borehole! / Major Reasons Farm Projects Of Absentee Farmer Fails (My Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.