Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,584 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:46 PM

The Old Eastern Region Is Back! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Old Eastern Region Is Back! (2415 Views)

Martin Patience Joins Nigerian Soldiers In The Combat Region In The North(pics) / BREAKING! Biafra: Buhari To Declare State Of Emegency In D Old Eastern Region If / A Political Thread For "Old" Eastern Region (south East And South South) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Old Eastern Region Is Back! by Chyz2: 4:29am On May 03, 2011
[size=15pt]Senate Presidency: South East, South South join forces[/size]
•Goje, Saraki, battle Mark

By Sunny Igboanugo and Adetutu Folasade-Koyi, Abuja

Every zone is throwing its hat into the ring for the office of Senate President in the gritty scramble for the title of number three citizen after the President and Vice President.

Those not running are campaigning for their candidates, with old Senators backing Senate President David Mark (North Central), and new ones – who have not even been sworn in yet – going for Senators-elect Danjuma Goje and Bukola Saraki.

Goje is currently Gombe State Governor, and Saraki is Kwara Governor. They will switch to the  Senate when their terms expire on May 29.

On the other hand, the South East and South South have joined forces.

As each contestant clings to bases  and allies, the South East has found some in the neighbouring South  South for the position to return to the zone, which held it in the eight years  of the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidency.

The North East entered into the fray with a demand after a  meeting at the weekend that the post be zoned to it in order to  troubleshoot the restiveness that erupted after the Presidential election.

The North Central is, however, flaunting the alleged promise made to  the zone to retain the job in exchange for its support for the bid by the South South  to pick the Presidency.

It was learnt that the collaboration between the South East and South South is based on collective interest.

A source confirmed that two meetings have been held by the two zones on how to get the position back to the South East  in a new-found fellowship, which became pronounced in the run up to the vote on April 16 that produced Goodluck Jonathan as President.

Under the arrangement in which Jonathan received massive support from the South East,  the zone resolved not to present a Presidential candidate for the first time in the history of the country, so as to get the  maximum benefits.

Jonathan got the most votes from the two  zones, which made up the Eastern Region splintered into various states by military regimes.

The source said the two zones want to firm up a common  position before the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting where the battle will be fought.

Some expressed  surprise that the other zones are bidding for the Senate Presidency when it is obvious that the return of the Villa to the South means that the Senate  Presidency would follow suit, as was in the case during the Obasanjo years.

Said the source: “We don’t really understand why the North should be interested in the position  when it has produced the Vice President. The PDP has a tradition of sharing  these positions.

“When Obasanjo was President the Senate President went to  the South East. Nobody disturbed the arrangement despite the  fact that the zone eventually produced five Senate Presidents. Nothing has  changed now that Aso Rock has reverted to the South.

“The PDP arrangement is in such a way that if the North presents the President,  the Vice President naturally goes to the South, while the Senate President, the  number three, goes to the North again, and the Speaker of the House of  Representatives comes to the South. The two Deputies in the Senate and the House take a cue in that order.

“That is the way it has been. Obasanjo  maintained it and Yar’Adua maintained it.

“The South East has paid its dues in this exercise. This is not the time to treat  the zone as they have done in the National Chairmanship of the PDP,  which has been denied the zone for several months.”

Regardless, Goje (North East) has begun moves to snatch the Senate Presidency from Mark.

He has convened a meeting with his colleagues from the zone. All PDP Senators from the zone are first timers.

Immediately after the National Assembly (NASS) ballot on April 9, Saraki (North Central) sent text messages to other new Senators soliciting their support for him.

But the North East is said to be in favourable contention, even though the North Central is not relenting in retaining the position it has occupied since 2007.

Goje met with Senators-elect from the North East last Thursday where he urged them to articulate a common position.

The zone has also reached out to the PDP apparatchik, telling it to concede the Senate Presidency to it for two reasons: Placate the zone as done to the South West over the June 12 debacle and the need to strengthen the PDP in the North East.

The South West was given the Presidency in compensation for the annulment of the election of Moshood Abiola on June 12, 1993.

The North East is arguing that it too should be allowed to get the Senate Presdiency since former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, who is from the zone, lost the PDP Presidential ticket to Goodluck Jonathan.

The meeting also reasoned that conceding the Senate Presidency to the North East would help “cement unity and stabilise the PDP for future polls in the zone.”

All the six returning Senators from the North Central have not openly expressed interest in the post, and Mark is canvassing their support for him to retain it.

However, a ranking Senator from the North faulted Mark’s ambition, saying “I am all for equity in the sharing of positions in the Parliament.

“If the South East is allowed to produce the Speaker, then it would be selfishness on the part of the North Central to insist that Mark should continue. We have to be sensitive at this time. It would not augur well for the top three positions to be held by Christians.

“I am all for a Muslim-Christian ticket in the Senate.”

http://www.independentngonline.com/DailyIndependent/Article.aspx?id=33101
Re: The Old Eastern Region Is Back! by koruji(m): 4:34am On May 03, 2011
Old Eastern Region my backside. SS Presidency, N Vice Presidency, SE Senate President, N Speaker nko?
Re: The Old Eastern Region Is Back! by Chyz2: 4:40am On May 03, 2011
koruji:

Old Eastern Region my backside. SS Presidency, N Vice Presidency, SE Senate President, N Speaker nko?

The SE is going for Speaker, they are setting a trap,for lack of a better word. Yo, it aint checkers, its chess cool. Do you know what speaker would do for both zones, Chai, the East don get powa.Gbosa! grin
Re: The Old Eastern Region Is Back! by EkoIle1: 4:41am On May 03, 2011
Sometimes I Wonder why ibo people rejoice over the silliest, petty and irrelevant things
Re: The Old Eastern Region Is Back! by aljharem(m): 4:42am On May 03, 2011
Eko Ile:

Sometimes I Wonder why ibo people rejoice over the silliest, petty and irrelevant things

and is it your business if they rejoice over anything

wetin concern you

face your SW people
Re: The Old Eastern Region Is Back! by ChinenyeN(m): 4:43am On May 03, 2011
No.
Re: The Old Eastern Region Is Back! by aljharem(m): 4:44am On May 03, 2011
ChinenyeN:

No.

why

SS and SE was part of the igbo empire, so why no angry
Re: The Old Eastern Region Is Back! by ChinenyeN(m): 4:46am On May 03, 2011
You don't know what you're talking about Alj Harem. Igbo empire? Yeah.
Re: The Old Eastern Region Is Back! by EkoIle1: 4:49am On May 03, 2011
See wetin ibo people are reduced to. Jostling for for crumbs must be the cool in ibo land
Re: The Old Eastern Region Is Back! by aljharem(m): 4:52am On May 03, 2011
ChinenyeN:

You don't know what you're talking about Alj Harem. Igbo empire? Of course.

ChinenyeN, I think i know what i am talking about clearly

the old eastern region give the igbos power over other groups thus the deintergration of the old east was a disaster for the igbos just like an empire when it falls.

Now it is just reclaiming back the empire and i see nothing wrong in that. i mean they use to rule it before so what is stoping them now undecided

i think we all should be happy for the SS and SE
Re: The Old Eastern Region Is Back! by aljharem(m): 4:54am On May 03, 2011
Eko Ile:

See wetin ibo people are reduced to. Jostling for for crumbs must be the cool in ibo land

can u STFU and get out

igbo this igbo that, leave them alone and go face ur SW rascals

or is there something else u would like to tell us about wink ([s]are u having a hard on for igbos)[/s]
Re: The Old Eastern Region Is Back! by ezeagu(m): 4:54am On May 03, 2011
Eko Ile:

When you're constantly happy, you know, getting the ego, the yen, the green. . . not sitting grumpy on nairaland. . . you know. grin grin grin grin
Re: The Old Eastern Region Is Back! by EzeUche2(m): 4:55am On May 03, 2011
All is well with the Ndigbo. cool
Re: The Old Eastern Region Is Back! by aljharem(m): 4:56am On May 03, 2011
EzeUche_:

All is well with the Ndigbo. cool

i agree, all is well with Ndigbo and SS +NC

what do u think about sure alliance
Re: The Old Eastern Region Is Back! by Nobody: 4:57am On May 03, 2011
Mu he he! grin
Re: The Old Eastern Region Is Back! by EzeUche2(m): 4:59am On May 03, 2011
I believe my predictions are coming true. cool
Re: The Old Eastern Region Is Back! by EkoIle1: 5:07am On May 03, 2011
alj harem:

can u STFU and get out

igbo this igbo that, leave them alone and go face your SW rascals

or is there something else u would like to tell us about wink ([s]are u having a hard on for igbos)[/s]

Looks like your usual rubbish so I'll gladly not waste my breath on such nonsensical post
Re: The Old Eastern Region Is Back! by pleep(m): 5:11am On May 03, 2011
Ali harem sounds like a north Nigerian name yet your an Igbo, ndu chucks sounds like a Igbo name yet he's a northerner?
Damn, you tribalists are so confusing.
Re: The Old Eastern Region Is Back! by aljharem(m): 5:11am On May 03, 2011
Eko Ile:

Looks like your usual rubbish so I'll gladly not waste my breath on such nonsensical post

so why do u keep insulting igbo

why do u call them ibo instead of igbo

why do u use the slogan "it sucks to be ibo" when your SW people are not better anyway

leave them alone so that you may have peace in your life

have they not suffered enough from all the insult and taunting you given them daily

abeg carry go angry everything igbo this, igbo that

leave them alone and stand for the truth and mind ur business if u have nothing better to contribute other than to insult igbos
Re: The Old Eastern Region Is Back! by aljharem(m): 5:13am On May 03, 2011
pleep:

Ali harem sounds like a north Nigerian name yet your an Igbo, ndu chucks sounds like a Igbo name yet he's a northerner?
Damn, you tribalists are so confusing.

i believe I and ndu chuks have never made any tribal remarks on issues

we are not tribalist
Re: The Old Eastern Region Is Back! by EkoIle1: 5:17am On May 03, 2011
alj harem:

so why do u keep insulting igbo

why do u call them ibo instead of igbo

why do u use the slogan "it sucks to be ibo" when your SW people are not better anyway

leave them alone so that you may have peace in your life

have they not suffered enough from all the insult and taunting you given them daily

abeg carry go angry everything igbo this, igbo that

leave them alone and stand for the truth and mind your business if u have nothing better to contribute other than to insult igbos

You must have missed my last post, here

Looks like your usual rubbish so I'll gladly not waste my breath on such nonsensical post,

I can't believe this clown is trying to dictate to me what I can and can not say. What are you smoking gan sef?
Re: The Old Eastern Region Is Back! by ChinenyeN(m): 5:25am On May 03, 2011
Okay. You're using [i]empire [/i]figuratively. I can understand that now, though I don't entirely agree. Not with with what you're saying and certainly not with the current topic at hand. At least, let's just say that I won't be holding my breath over this thing people are trying to interpret as the emergence of some kind of SE-SS coalition.
Re: The Old Eastern Region Is Back! by karlmax2: 10:26am On May 03, 2011
@Eko Ile: your south west is the biggest losers as things unfold in nigerian politic live with that and continue paying tribute to your BABA ALAYE (tinubu) who owns you and your so called south west ur zone except ondo is own by an area boy turn politician you knw who keep yapping ibo(igbo) this and that, The south west would continue to pay tinubu 25% of there federal allocation and tax!!! Go think about that and leave the south east and south south to do their thing losers did u hear any mention of the south west in the aticle so maintain ur local champion status in ur zone mumu
Re: The Old Eastern Region Is Back! by EzeUche2(m): 1:57pm On May 03, 2011
This is wonderful news. People had disparaging remarks against the SE, but we are simply building up coalitions with our neighbors.

SE + SS = Unstoppable Force

The Old Eastern Region is Back!
Re: The Old Eastern Region Is Back! by seanet02: 3:15pm On May 03, 2011
karl max:

@Eko Ile: your south west is the biggest losers as things unfold in nigerian politic live with that and continue paying tribute to your BABA ALAYE (tinubu) who owns you and your so called south west your zone except ondo is own by an area boy turn politician you knw who keep yapping ibo(igbo) this and that, The south west would continue to pay tinubu 25% of there federal allocation and tax!!! Go think about that and leave the south east and south south to do their thing losers did u hear any mention of the south west in the aticle so maintain your local champion status in your zone mumu
Yes jare The south east is now under a Northern Dominated Party's control. Ibos no get brain i tell you.
Re: The Old Eastern Region Is Back! by seanet02: 3:25pm On May 03, 2011
Chyz*:

The SE is going for Speaker, they are setting a trap,for lack of a better word. Yo, it aint checkers, its chess cool. Do you know what speaker would do for both zones, Chai, the East don get powa.Gbosa! grin
i wonder what The likes of Okadigbo, enwerem, pius anyim and nnamani did for the gully erosion pervaded ibos when they were senate president? Political positions does not translate to economic and grassroot development Sir Were!
Re: The Old Eastern Region Is Back! by EzeUche2(m): 3:38pm On May 03, 2011
I find it funny that the SW is in opposition again. There cannot be two titans in the South. One must give way for the other.

Chineke has blessed the SE and SS tremendously. cool
Re: The Old Eastern Region Is Back! by seanet02: 3:48pm On May 03, 2011
EzeUche_:

I find it funny that the SW is in opposition again. There cannot be two titans in the South. One must give way for the other.

Chineke has blessed the SE and SS tremendously. cool
Typical ibo man always favouring the personal advancement of their pocket to Regional Development.
Re: The Old Eastern Region Is Back! by EzeUche2(m): 3:52pm On May 03, 2011
seanet02:

Typical ibo man always favouring the personal advancement of their pocket to Regional Development.

Is your region more developed than the SE? I do not think so. . .

Anambra, Imo, Enugu and even Abia is more developed than the entire SW with the exception of Lagos for obvious reasons. undecided
Re: The Old Eastern Region Is Back! by seanet02: 4:00pm On May 03, 2011
EzeUche_:

Is your region more developed than the SE? I do not think so. . .

Anambra, Imo, Enugu and even Abia is more developed than the entire SW with the exception of Lagos for obvious reasons. undecided
Intellectual Dishonesty! Abia ke? A state that can not match the number of Operating industries at Agbara Industrial Estate of Ogun state is what this ediot is celebrating. Now am seeing clearly why it sucks to be ibo.
Re: The Old Eastern Region Is Back! by EzeUche2(m): 9:53pm On May 03, 2011
seanet02:

Intellectual Dishonesty! Abia ke? A state that can not match the number of Operating industries at Agbara Industrial Estate of Ogun state is what this ediot is celebrating. Now am seeing clearly why it sucks to be ibo.

It hurts to realize the truth about things. Yes, I said Abia. The reason why I said Abia, because of Aba, which is the commercial heartbeat of the East.

It feels great to be Igbo.
cool
Re: The Old Eastern Region Is Back! by seanet02: 10:00pm On May 03, 2011
EzeUche_:

It hurts to realize the truth about things. Yes, I said Abia. The reason why I said Abia, because of Aba, which is the commercial heartbeat of the East.

It feels great to be Igbo.
cool
see how he dodge the real question. Abia can not match Agbara Industrial Estate, Ogun state. Next, . . . . . .

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Group Advises Federal Government On Bitumen Extraction / Senator Spoils SSS III Student With N2m, Prado Jeep / Meet The Richest African Presidents 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.