Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,193 members, 7,807,653 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:52 PM

Homelessness In The USA - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Homelessness In The USA (3157 Views)

Should I Still Travel To The USA? / Are These Not Signs Of Increasing Homelessness In Lagos State? (PHOTOS) / What Can A Young Lawyer Do In Canada, The USA, Newzealand Or Australia? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Homelessness In The USA by ednut1(m): 11:58am On Jun 06, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Let’s say I agree with you, and I do on most causes you listed especially mental illness, but can’t the almighty USA find a solution?

Most of these people contributed to the development of the USA at some point and deserve the government to offer a solution.

I don’t claim to have all the answers by the way,
they dont want to be helped in many cases, 2 shelters are near where I stay, but some of them will still sleep on the roads opposite the shelters and not inside.

2 Likes

Re: Homelessness In The USA by EgunMogaji2: 12:02pm On Jun 06, 2021
ednut1:
they dont want to be helped in many cases, 2 shelters are near where I stay, but some of them will still sleep on the roads opposite the shelters and not inside.

You’re right. I read a report of theft, abuse, drug use in the shelters which makes some prefer the street.

So why hasn’t the USA fixed that?
Re: Homelessness In The USA by pocohantas(f): 12:40pm On Jun 06, 2021
ednut1:

Ahnahn. No be juju be that?

Is there a reason for this? Maybe they are mentally ill or something is pursuing them inside. This is not normal behaviour at all.
Re: Homelessness In The USA by Richdee1(m): 12:45pm On Jun 06, 2021
pocohantas:

Is there a reason for this? Maybe they are mentally ill or something is pursuing them inside. This is not normal behaviour at all.

Let's attribute it to village people in consonance to Nigerian Scenario
��
Re: Homelessness In The USA by saxietohgbaskie(m): 1:40pm On Jun 06, 2021
Can I message you please. I need someone to put me through for a travel application
rinzaugustine:
The problem is mostly ignorance,refusing to work,mental illness and drugs.Every poor American is automatically eligible to get from government food stamps,section 8 vouchers,low income housing as low as less than $200 a month.Free medical care (Medicaid for young/Medicare for old) .Pell grants,student loans and scholarships to go to any school you want.There are food banks/pantry in every town in America and in almost every black church where you walk in,collect any food you want and they will thank you for coming because food banks throw away tons of food weekly across the country.From Salvation Army to many NGOs assisted by government homeless shelters are ran everywhere.The one in downtown Minneapolis, they provide them with food,shower,socks TV and blankets etc .There are many town in America offering like Natchez Mississippi etc offering cash relocation bonus for house down payment if you want to relocate there.The only problem I see with US government is that they cannot force you to take advantage of the numerous benefits available and nobody will do here unlike Nigeria.It’s just up to you to find it and figure it out
Re: Homelessness In The USA by TheEnforcer: 1:59pm On Jun 06, 2021
rinzaugustine:
The problem is mostly ignorance,refusing to work,mental illness and drugs.Every poor American is automatically eligible to get from government food stamps,section 8 vouchers,low income housing as low as less than $200 a month.Free medical care (Medicaid for young/Medicare for old) .Pell grants,student loans and scholarships to go to any school you want.There are food banks/pantry in every town in America and in almost every black church where you walk in,collect any food you want and they will thank you for coming because food banks throw away tons of food weekly across the country.From Salvation Army to many NGOs assisted by government homeless shelters are ran everywhere.The one in downtown Minneapolis, they provide them with food,shower,socks TV and blankets etc .There are many town in America offering like Natchez Mississippi etc offering cash relocation bonus for house down payment if you want to relocate there.The only problem I see with US government is that they cannot force you to take advantage of the numerous benefits available and nobody will do here unlike Nigeria.It’s just up to you to find it and figure it out
The OP lived for decades in the US and enjoyed all the Amenities. Now having returned to Nigeria, he makes a point of always trying to paint the US in Negative light so as to dissuade others from going there.Ask yourself, what is the point of this thread he created?There are homeless people everywhere so what's the point of singling Carlifonia out?Its really strange for someone who lived in the US for several years and has now retired to Nigeria.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Homelessness In The USA by pharmguru: 2:26pm On Jun 06, 2021
TheEnforcer:
The OP lived for decades in the US and enjoyed all the Amenities. Now having returned to Nigeria, he makes a point of always trying to paint the US in Negative light so as to dissuade others from going there.Ask yourself, what is the point of this thread he created?There are homeless people everywhere so what's the point of singling Carlifonia out?Its really strange for someone who lived in the US for several years and has now retired to Nigeria.

Gbam! Someone finally gets it. His posts are always antiUSA. I sure wish he's enjoying the way his nigerian govt is messing with the mental health of the masses currently for him to be dissuading others.

4 Likes

Re: Homelessness In The USA by ednut1(m): 2:36pm On Jun 06, 2021
pocohantas:

when person never suffer before he fit no dey reason well. Ogogoro and drugs don destroy many of them
Re: Homelessness In The USA by ednut1(m): 2:37pm On Jun 06, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

You’re right. I read a report of theft, abuse, drug use in the shelters which makes some prefer the street.

So why hasn’t the USA fixed that?
you live there na. Ask them

5 Likes

Re: Homelessness In The USA by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jun 06, 2021
EgunMogaji2:
This is a sad but common sight in the USA. Always leaves me wondering if there can ever be a solution to homelessness.

The single picture shows a stark comparison. On the left side of the boardwalk are homeless encampment, on the other side are expensive flats cry

when you see homeless people abroad i think it more of mental issues than finances ... technically someone with mental ish is unemployable, hence no income. there is no way someone not earning can afford rent no matter how cheap. sey you get reason am.

i don't think there is any solution to homelessness, God creat the world in two(s) for every word there is opposite, good - bad, rich-poor. even if money fall from the sky everyday some would stil lack or be poor.

1 Like

Re: Homelessness In The USA by Karlovych: 3:05pm On Jun 06, 2021
cheesy cheesy It's California so I'm not surprised one bit, their liberal leadership have completely destroyed the state and they are flooding to Texas and other nearby States after wrecking Communistfornia
Re: Homelessness In The USA by Cousin9999: 3:08pm On Jun 06, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

I take your post as a joke.

It's reality. Not every person in America lives somewhere with a substantial or visible homeless population. And many Americans don't travel. So yes, you can live your entire life in the US and never see a homeless person, or know you have. That's another thing about the homeless population, they don't all fit a stereotype of a homeless person. Some of them are clean cut and dressed neatly. The only way you would know they're homeless is if they told you.
Re: Homelessness In The USA by EgunMogaji2: 3:09pm On Jun 06, 2021
ednut1:
you live there na. Ask them

Lived there cool
Re: Homelessness In The USA by Cousin9999: 3:29pm On Jun 06, 2021
ednut1:
you clearly have mental issues. You are telling someone who stayed in a country you have never been to what is obtainable. Grow up abeg

@justwise
Re: Homelessness In The USA by EgunMogaji2: 3:43pm On Jun 06, 2021
Cousin9999:

It's reality. Not every person in America lives somewhere with a substantial or visible homeless population. And many Americans don't travel. So yes, you can live your entire life in the US and never see a homeless person, or know you have. That's another thing about the homeless population, they don't all fit a stereotype of a homeless person. Some of them are clean cut and dressed neatly. The only way you would know they're homeless is if they told you.

I continue to take your post as a joke. Even more so now.
Re: Homelessness In The USA by sharpwriter(m): 4:27pm On Jun 06, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

We have a lot of things figured out but sadly not all.

For example cancer, homelessness, hunger, healthcare.

It’s just that what we’ve solved are also big ones like landing and invading countries quickly, we have a helicopter flying on Mars, we have a spaceship that has traveled outside of our solar system, our flag is flying on the moon, etc

Hunger, do they still get hungry there? I thought they said food is cheap and everywhere over there in the US. What of their food stamps arena?

1 Like

Re: Homelessness In The USA by sharpwriter(m): 4:57pm On Jun 06, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Let’s say I agree with you, and I do on most causes you listed especially mental illness, but can’t the almighty USA find a solution?

Most of these people contributed to the development of the USA at some point and deserve the government to offer a solution.

The answer is simple. Humans will always be humans. The cry of some is laughter for some. How can power be maintained by the elites if some (the weak) aren't impoverished?

They are only fair minded than Africans especially in these centuries. They were as terrible as we Africans in avarice matters in those past centuries when they had monarchs.

2 Likes

Re: Homelessness In The USA by EgunMogaji2: 5:13pm On Jun 06, 2021
sharpwriter:

Hunger, do they still get hungry there? I thought they said food is cheap and everywhere over there in the US. What of their food stamps arena?

It’s a complex situation.

It’s akin to someone seeing videos of Yahoo! Boys flexing at clubs with near new Camrys and nice houses in Lekki. Sadly that doesn’t represent all of Nigeria.

So the things we see in movies and such doesn’t represent all of America.

Here are some quick screenshots. I don’t need screenshots because I was there. I know how many families we donated to and fed.

2 Likes

Re: Homelessness In The USA by sharpwriter(m): 5:59pm On Jun 06, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

It’s a complex situation.

It’s akin to someone seeing videos of Yahoo! Boys forcing at clubs with near new Camrys and nice houses in Lekki. Sadly that doesn’t represent all of Nigeria.

So the things we see in movies and such pmdoesn’t represent all of America.

Here are some quick screenshots. I don’t need screenshots because I was there. I know how many families we donated to and fed.

I understand you Bros. O ga gan o. It is well.

1 Like

Re: Homelessness In The USA by bligs: 7:48am On Jun 07, 2021
Cousin9999:

Have you been to US or just assuming? Unless the person entire life is in the country side, not only in the US but in all the western countries, there is no big city without homeless people, and also you can easily recognise them.

2 Likes

Re: Homelessness In The USA by Gerrard59(m): 10:26am On Jun 08, 2021
TheEnforcer:
The OP lived for decades in the US and enjoyed all the Amenities. Now having returned to Nigeria, he makes a point of always trying to paint the US in Negative light so as to dissuade others from going there. Ask yourself, what is the point of this thread he created?There are homeless people everywhere so what's the point of singling Carlifonia out?Its really strange for someone who lived in the US for several years and has now retired to Nigeria.

Don't mind that 50+ serial divorcee dude residing in Ibadan

2 Likes

Re: Homelessness In The USA by EgunMogaji2: 11:16am On Jun 08, 2021
TheEnforcer:

You’re funny.

1) Why would I be responsible for anyone’s life plans? cheesy

Besides I DO want people to migrate to the USA. The more people go to the USA and work the more assured I am in getting my social security cool

2) I only write from experience on places where I lived.

Re: Homelessness In The USA by EgunMogaji2: 11:20am On Jun 08, 2021
I thank all the intelligent participants on this thread.
Re: Homelessness In The USA by shegzhkn: 1:38pm On Jun 08, 2021
ClitRaider:

It's because some lost it, others had one point in their life made some bad decisions or some are either stupid or lazy.
Even in rich Arab countries, you'd see beggars and homeless pple.

As our Naija hard reach, theres still space for everyone to live under a roof but sometimes, some peeps just prefer the homeless and begging way..

Lol, see this one even comparing US with gulf countries.

Add all their wealth together are they half as rich as the United States ??. We've solve the biggest world problems and you think homelessness is a big deal or they've just largely ignored the problem, what the hell am i thinking how many of the Arab country is half as rich as Cali ??

If you've got nothing logical to say just walk dude.

1 Like

Re: Homelessness In The USA by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jun 08, 2021
TheEnforcer:

I don't know about the OP posts but what he wrote is reality. Having assisted a few persons to migrate, there's always this "oh I never knew" The truth is if you have never lived there, you will never get the complete picture.

Everyone is free to travel and all Nigerians are able to visit/live in the US if they qualify. If you qualify, I'll advise you apply and migrate. But many don't qualify and alluding to someone else's post as a reason to dissuade migrating to the US is a red herring.

1 Like

Re: Homelessness In The USA by Richdee1(m): 2:45pm On Jun 08, 2021
OP I noticed since you came back from US, you've been having bad vibez an giving out wrong reviews and comment against USA!

Me don't know the reason you came back from the statesand what is your motive for this thread you created buh it is well

JUST KNOW THERE ARE HOMELESS PEOPLE EVERYWHERE IRRESPECTIVE OF THE CATERING THE GOVT PROVIDE FOR THEM

4 Likes

Re: Homelessness In The USA by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jun 08, 2021
ednut1:
They are in Canada too. Government provides shelter for them but many prefer to be on the streets. They are lazy, entitled, mentally ill, drug addicts, had bad marriages , committed crimes or made bad financial decisions in the past.

EgunMogaji2:

People are homeless for various reasons. It could be personal tragedies. Some simply opt out of “normal” life, seeing it as a meaningless routine. Many are homeless because of poverty, natural disasters, domestic violence, drug or alcohol abuse, mental illness, a lack of affordable housing, or loss of employment.
I highlighted those because many easily forget these could be reasons for homelessness and many of us have to been in the field to have first hand experiences.

One of the major reasons is housing shortage. For example many don't know that overnight public shelters in New York are usually converted gymnasiums or armories. Some shelters are unsafe, and often they have bedbugs or lice. It has been a major issue for years and there's no solution for now.
Re: Homelessness In The USA by Kenn55: 3:01pm On Jun 08, 2021
pocohantas:

The problem is that most of them don't want to live under a rule. For instance, in one of the homeless shelters in my city, there is no smoke or drug policy and some other rules. I don't know if it is the rule in all shelters.

According a worker in that shelter, when these people are brought and they find out they can't do some of those things, they move out to live in the street. They rather live in the street and beg and do their smoke and drugs than living in a homeless shelter.

Unfortunately in the west, nobody wants to force anybody to do anything against their will.
Re: Homelessness In The USA by EgunMogaji2: 4:14pm On Jun 08, 2021
Studymore123:

I don't know about the OP posts but what he wrote is reality. Having assisted a few persons to migrate, there's always this "oh I never knew" The truth is if you have never lived there, you will never get the complete picture.

Everyone is free to travel and all Nigerians are able to visit/live in the US if they qualify. If you qualify, I'll advise you apply and migrate. But many don't qualify and alluding to someone else's post as a reason to dissuade migrating to the US is a red herring.

Abi o.

People have been migrating since time immemorial.

Nigeria has an open border with almost all the countries of the world having embassies here or near. But some wild rather use my posts as a crutch. I mean why would I care if someone migrate or not? cheesy
Re: Homelessness In The USA by EgunMogaji2: 4:17pm On Jun 08, 2021
Richdee1:
OP I noticed since you came back from US, you've been having bad vibez an giving out wrong reviews and comment against USA!

Me don't know the reason you came back from the statesand what is your motive for this thread you created buh it is well

JUST KNOW THERE ARE HOMELESS PEOPLE EVERYWHERE IRRESPECTIVE OF THE CATERING THE GOVT PROVIDE FOR THEM

Amazing, I feel honored that out of 2.7 million NairaLanders it is me that you notice. Maybe I should play the lottery cheesy

1 Like

Re: Homelessness In The USA by 79733139(m): 5:21pm On Jun 08, 2021
How many years have you lived in the United States? I am guessing zero.

Cousin9999:

It isn't. You can literally live in the US your entire life and never see a homeless person, or realize that you have.

1 Like

Re: Homelessness In The USA by TheEnforcer: 6:12pm On Jun 08, 2021
Studymore123:

I live in the US myself and there's nothing misleading in my statement. Different strokes for different folks.And no matter what the OP says,he lived a good life here before retiring home.He just brought the homelessness topic out of the blue .There are homeless people everywhere and even most of the homeless ones here are the drug addicts etc.I have never seen a homeless Nigerian here and I've lived in a couple of states.Just the white trash ,dug addict "akatas" and co.And even the government does it's best to put them in shelters.Ultimately,there is a better chance of succeeding here that in Nigeria, if you are conscientious and hardworking .And one can rise to any level.Come and see people from run down countries with big businesses and even employing Americans.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

List Of Good Countries For An SSCE Holder / Hang Son Doong: Inside The Worlds Largest Cave With Jungle, River&Climate(Photos / Top 10 Most Beautiful Presidential Palaces In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.