Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,042 members, 7,807,127 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:00 AM

Have You Ever Fired Someone On Their First Day In Office - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Have You Ever Fired Someone On Their First Day In Office (14794 Views)

My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week / I Was Scammed Today At My First Day Of Work / My Ugly Experience On My First Day At Work. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Fired Someone On Their First Day In Office by Jolomenas: 1:36pm On Jun 07, 2021
barnawilla:
Can you see recent happenings.. Jesus is coming soon, lets make our ways right with the Lord.
God bless your day.
See your life

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Fired Someone On Their First Day In Office by dododawa1: 1:38pm On Jun 07, 2021
Can Yahoo G fire someone too.
Re: Have You Ever Fired Someone On Their First Day In Office by TimFisher2: 1:39pm On Jun 07, 2021
undecided
Re: Have You Ever Fired Someone On Their First Day In Office by RichBoy247: 1:40pm On Jun 07, 2021
barnawilla:
Can you see recent happenings.. Jesus is coming soon, lets make our ways right with the Lord.
God bless your day.

About Jesus coming? I don't know. But every human should love his/her neighbor as thy self. All the other commandments are coined from love thy neighbor as thy self.

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Fired Someone On Their First Day In Office by gbokukueba(m): 1:41pm On Jun 07, 2021
Yes sadly.

I used to work in a factory and once hired a factory worker who went through all the recruitment process and even medical and on day one, he confided to his manager that he has a deformity on his hands based on an accident that happened when he was younger. No one saw that coming and it seem he deliberately hid his deformity all through and even to the doctor that did his medical check up. Sadly, we had to let him go as we were not convinced he could do the work with his hands that way and the fact he concealed it until resumption.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Fired Someone On Their First Day In Office by BlackLaw: 1:42pm On Jun 07, 2021
WiszyFraud:
Did you know??

The discomfort and reflux you feel when you lie down immediately after eating is because the food has not left your stomach.

To avoid these, normalize staying erect for about 30 minutes to 1 hour after eating before you lay down.

lipsrsealed

How can you ask the son of man to stay erect for one hour?
Re: Have You Ever Fired Someone On Their First Day In Office by play5050: 1:43pm On Jun 07, 2021
Sirmuel1:
First day at work? That's premium village People on 5G
grin
Sirmuel1:
First day at work? That's premium village People on 5G
Re: Have You Ever Fired Someone On Their First Day In Office by Caaz: 1:43pm On Jun 07, 2021
Yes
Re: Have You Ever Fired Someone On Their First Day In Office by BRATISLAVA: 1:45pm On Jun 07, 2021
gbokukueba:
Yes sadly.

I used to work in a factory and once hired a factory worker who went through all the recruitment process and even medical and on day one, he confided to his manager that he has a deformity on his hands based on an accident that happened when he was younger. No one saw that coming and it seem he deliberately hid his deformity all through and even to the doctor that did his medical check up. Sadly, we had to let him go as we were not convinced he could do the work with his hands that way and the fact he concealed it until resumption.

Was there no way to reassign him another job? That seems rather discriminatory.

If nobody wants to employ him, he will have to keep hiding it. We should make room for disabled people. It's just his hand, not his brain.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Fired Someone On Their First Day In Office by nextBIGthing: 1:46pm On Jun 07, 2021
meobizy:
Na unemployed children full here. The only jobs they manage are in their hunger-induced dreams.

Is it their fault they are unemployed ?
Learn some basic courtesy
It’ll help you lot more

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Fired Someone On Their First Day In Office by ArticleBeast: 1:47pm On Jun 07, 2021
Gbengageorge:
I blame OP for not specifying all the job responsibilities, especially an aspect that is very key like computer usage, you could have saved yourself a whole lot of time if you had stated that the position requires computer knowledge.
Then you don’t know naija people. They will apply and believe they will use strong eye to get through it
Re: Have You Ever Fired Someone On Their First Day In Office by Nobody: 1:48pm On Jun 07, 2021
Be like this OP dey pay seun and lala well well...na everytime your posts dey reach front page
Re: Have You Ever Fired Someone On Their First Day In Office by teemy(m): 1:51pm On Jun 07, 2021
After two days of work, she asked for a break of two days. One to attend a child naming, the other to study for exams. I would have given the one for the exams even though I was skeptical but with having to ask for a day off for the naming, I had to give her a proverb to decide on what was higher on her scale of preference. She chose the naming, I chose my work. We still talk though. No hard feelings.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Fired Someone On Their First Day In Office by nidoo: 1:52pm On Jun 07, 2021
GIANTPLUSHUB:
Let me learn! To every men and women out there who needed a job. May God provide you all with a befitting job you guys so desired. To be jobless is same as uselessness. May we not be useless and if it all we will, may it not be for too long because there are lessons to learn in joblessness phase as well. All the very best to everyone!
Pls next time should be, "To any man or woman"
Re: Have You Ever Fired Someone On Their First Day In Office by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jun 07, 2021
shyvicky:
I employed a sales rep and ask her to resume work the following day, 8am, I got to the shop around 9am because I have another business to take care of in another warehouse on my arrival I didnot see her, I asked the other sales rep if the new girl didnot show up, they said she came waited for me and left for her friends shop, so I kept mum and was doing my normal day runs at around 3pm she came back and I asked what happened she said she waited for me and did not see me so she left to stay with her friend, I told her simply that I asked u to resume work today and other workers are here working, u left because u didnot see me, I told her I am traveling the following day, so there is no need for to work, may be till I come back, imagine leaving the shop because I am not yet around, that means if I travel she will travel too..

She is one lucky girl because if one's superior cannot call to say he will be late (i.e. 1hr late), that is already a red flag and shows she would be led by a negligent and unprofessional leader.

Even the reason for her quit notice you gave (i.e. what you told her) is very very irresponsible and shows that your ego supercedes your consideration for your workers feelings. If your feelings or needs come before that of your workers, you should be running the business yourself. If your team is not motivated by you, it would be evident in their performance.

You need management courses.

She dodged a bullet.

14 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Fired Someone On Their First Day In Office by olisefom: 1:53pm On Jun 07, 2021
3 days.
Re: Have You Ever Fired Someone On Their First Day In Office by 15ssDRIVE(m): 1:56pm On Jun 07, 2021
Just got to town and after 3 weeks ,my host took out and ends up showing me a construction company.

We arrived around 7 am, to be on the first list.

Boss was there earlier, saw me smoking weed at the news site, the last conversation is ,Na you de smoke Igbo for my site?

You are fireeeeddddddddddd.

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Fired Someone On Their First Day In Office by Nobody: 1:59pm On Jun 07, 2021
Mr Adepetun... grin grin
Re: Have You Ever Fired Someone On Their First Day In Office by Wonderboi90(m): 1:59pm On Jun 07, 2021
I make quality shoes and slippers and belt..partonize me in 08139293652
Re: Have You Ever Fired Someone On Their First Day In Office by OlujobaSamuel: 1:59pm On Jun 07, 2021
Sacked a sales girl after a week. She never gets anything right, selling goods at different price from the actual, sometimes less, other times, more, despite that each goods(poultry feed) has boldly written description on it, and price list typed and given to her.
The day I made up my mind to fire her, I got to the shop and she already sold out feed of a higher grade, for the one of a lesser grade.
I just told her, this is your pay for 1wk, don't bother to come next week.
I incurred loss of more than 20% of her total sales for that 1wk

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Fired Someone On Their First Day In Office by Rosarie10: 2:00pm On Jun 07, 2021
Yes
Re: Have You Ever Fired Someone On Their First Day In Office by tatutatu: 2:03pm On Jun 07, 2021
weird.
Re: Have You Ever Fired Someone On Their First Day In Office by Mummiesboy: 2:06pm On Jun 07, 2021
Yes! that idiot of a governor in Kaduna state. Hellrufire just did that immediately after protest.
Re: Have You Ever Fired Someone On Their First Day In Office by angelfallz(m): 2:06pm On Jun 07, 2021
Wow. Did she say she was proficient in the use of computers on her resume? If she did, that means she lied. That is not good for any prospective employee.

Robertkenny:
Mr. Omisesan Olaniyi

Unfortunately, yes. A few years ago, the company I was working for had a position open in customer service.

I interviewed several people and ended up hiring a woman that seemed perfect for the job.

She had a beautiful resume and interviewed extremely well.

Her first day on the job she spent a couple of hours completing paperwork and reading the job description we had typed up, which outlined all of her new duties.

Everything was going well, until she actually sat down at the computer so I could show her where certain files were, etc. She seemed to struggle a little with the basic search functions, but I assumed she was a little nervous on her first day.

Next I showed her the email we had created for the position, and how she could answer certain customer inquiries with a simple document that could be attached to her reply. I showed her the document, which was saved on the desktop, and I told her to go ahead and reply to one of the emails with the attachment.

She didn’t seem to understand what I meant, so I thought maybe I had confused her in some way. So I sat down at her computer, opened the email we were responding to, typed a simple “Please see attachment” reply, attached the document, and hit SEND.

Then I asked her to respond to the next email in the same way. She was totally lost. It was as if she had never used a computer before.

Unfortunately, the position needed someone proficient in basic computer skills, so after testing her on a couple of other things (like editing a simple Word doc), I had to let her go at the end of the day. In hind sight, we obviously should have been checking references prior to interviewing anyone.

Thank you Bogger for sharing my story.

Who was sacked by you? Kindly share your story.
Re: Have You Ever Fired Someone On Their First Day In Office by Womanizer(m): 2:13pm On Jun 07, 2021
shyvicky:
I employed a sales rep and ask her to resume work the following day, 8am, I got to the shop around 9am because I have another business to take care of in another warehouse on my arrival I didnot see her, I asked the other sales rep if the new girl didnot show up, they said she came waited for me and left for her friends shop, so I kept mum and was doing my normal day runs at around 3pm she came back and I asked what happened she said she waited for me and did not see me so she left to stay with her friend, I told her simply that I asked u to resume work today and other workers are here working, u left because u didnot see me, I told her I am traveling the following day, so there is no need for to work, may be till I come back, imagine leaving the shop because I am not yet around, that means if I travel she will travel too..

grin
Re: Have You Ever Fired Someone On Their First Day In Office by Belial06: 2:18pm On Jun 07, 2021
Yes
Yes
And Yes
Re: Have You Ever Fired Someone On Their First Day In Office by Nicoddemus(m): 2:51pm On Jun 07, 2021
She can't get anything right. Had to sack her after 2weeks angry
Re: Have You Ever Fired Someone On Their First Day In Office by IceColdVeins(m): 3:02pm On Jun 07, 2021
Yeah
Re: Have You Ever Fired Someone On Their First Day In Office by Nobody: 3:02pm On Jun 07, 2021
stanley000:
and most ppl who are really qualified for that job are not able to apply because they don't meet the requirements. Learning on the job is a big luxury. I remember my company bringing in some engineering graduates for interviews, with all their impressive results they all flopped. Well maybe what they knew will be needed in julius berger or CCECC but to us, they wouldn't learn even if we wanted to tutor them for 6months.

Some people think getting competent hands is easy. Good resume and all that but most prole can't defend what they wrote. It is actually bad in the engineering and technical section and u keep hearing most of them shouting no job.

4 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Fired Someone On Their First Day In Office by Lonelypacifist6: 3:23pm On Jun 07, 2021
This is why job experience is important, Always Check out references, anyways I'm not in charge recruitment, but anytime i get wind of someone's incompetence at work I feel like firing them that instance.
Re: Have You Ever Fired Someone On Their First Day In Office by shoprite: 3:38pm On Jun 07, 2021
Have You Ever Fired Someone On Their First Day In Office

Sadly, Yes ! Dude seemed very nice for the short time I had him in my office. A graduate seeking a driver position, very humble guy . . speaks good english with a likeable personality. . .tested his driving skill and he was just fine . . .offered him the job . . . then time to take a ride with madam . . .Chairman's wife steps into the back seat . . .guy zooms off . . .mid way into the trip . . .phone rings . . .guy picks the call undecided . . .Who does that? While driving your boss? ...and all along the trip his phone kept ringing out loud, he didn't even try to put it on silent mode. . .Well, he has only been driving for pleasure . . .not professionally so couldn't really blame him for that error . . .had to withdraw the job offer soon as I got a call from madam about her experience.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Knows About Mag Consult And What They Do / N-EXIT: How To Resolve "Not A Valid Email Of A Beneficiary" Issue / Uba Recruiting Graduates For Entry Level

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.