Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,273 members, 7,807,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:39 PM

Bank A Or Bank B ??? - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Bank A Or Bank B ??? (21502 Views)

State Government Work Or Bank Job / Is The US Bank A Good Place To Do Business? / Is Kuda Bank A Scam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by Solatium(m): 7:36am On Jun 16, 2021
harley88:

I don’t remember complaining about my current department, kindly read to understand the post.
Thanks

So what does it mean when you wrote that you tried to switch from your department to other?
Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by fidet1(m): 11:04am On Jun 16, 2021
harley88:
Hi guys,

Should i remain in Bank A and keep trying a change of department or a change of Bank as an experienced hire which is a very slim chance

Or

I take the ET job and start all over from Training school in bank B

I know someone who was in similar dilemma about 6 years ago. He worked with UBA for about 2years in a unit he does not desire. Well, he took charge of his career. He joined Access bank training school (started all over), emerged the best in his class and he was posted to treasury department in their hq. He's been promoted twice since he joined Access.

Only you know what you want, it's not too late to start all over, age is even on your side.

4 Likes

Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by harley88(m): 12:34pm On Jun 16, 2021
Solatium:

So what does it mean when you wrote that you tried to switch from your department to other?

Cos I don’t see a career path in my department, doesn’t mean I’m complaining about it. I’m only trying to chart a path for myself and plan my life.
Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by harley88(m): 12:37pm On Jun 16, 2021
Obakashdee:
Weyrey work for 3years, get a masters, write ielts and go to Canada baba! I no know why una like this country

Lmao, I for insult you for that werey wey you write but you talk sense sha. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by Solatium(m): 3:55pm On Jun 16, 2021
harley88:

Cos I don’t see a career path in my department, doesn’t mean I’m complaining about it. I’m only trying to chart a path for myself and plan my life.

So how is that different from my first comment?
Mtcheew
Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by harley88(m): 4:19pm On Jun 16, 2021
Solatium:

So how is that different from my first comment?
Mtcheew

I don hear you, move on
Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by Wealthier: 6:47pm On Jun 16, 2021
valentineuwakwe:
A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the Bush......

The devil you know is better than the Angel you don't know.....

A stitch in time, saves nine.......

You are still under 25yrs and I don't know if you still remember those above adage?

Better be careful, my best advice n one others will advice you here too is to stick to the bank A.....
Change of department n being stuck in the same dept should not bother you so long the bank is healthy and your salary comes in regularly.

N.a. wa o....people wey dem give chair no sabi how to sidon on top!

Really nice input. however, I'd like to correct the idiom is no longer 'the devil you know is better than the Angel you don't know'

It has been updated years ago to ' the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know' . My 2 cents with love.

2 Likes

Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by Apostlelong(m): 10:05pm On Jun 16, 2021
Swimcsh:
Bank A: zenith bank B: Access bank.

If you know you know

Baba Zenith ET na like half of 200k Dem dey pay. No just mention them abeg

1 Like

Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by joshneku: 10:10pm On Jun 16, 2021
Hmmmm. You better stay with bank A. Speaking from experience with bank B.

1 Like

Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by JesusDWay(m): 7:21am On Jun 17, 2021
harley88:
Hi guys,

Pls I need the advice of the public here.
I have been an ET with bank A for about 20 months now at the bank’s head office in a department I don’t like and that doesn’t have a career path. So I’d basically be doing the same thing for years to come. The pay is basically 200k which is quite comfortable monthly. I have tried changing departments within the bank all to no avail. I want to leave the Dept asap so I don’t get stuck there due to age. I’d be 25 later this year.

I started the Entry level recruitment for Bank B a month ago, maybe to start again as an ET probably in a better department with a better career outlook. Right now, I am almost into Bank B’s training school. Bank B pays lower than Bank A, but comes with better perks such as a car. But I’m worried about having to start again and lose 20 months of work experience. The issue is I’d have to be in Training school for some months and collect about 25% of my current salary monthly until TS is over. Also, I don’t know what Dept I’d be posted to assuming I take the Bank B job offer.

What advise can you give me pls?? Also note both banks are in the top four banks in the country.

Should i remain in Bank A and keep trying a change of department or a change of Bank as an experienced hire which is a very slim chance

Or

I take the ET job and start all over from Training school in bank B

Stay where you are and keep praying that God should help you change the dept. Better as you don't know the dept you will be seconded to in Bank B.
Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by bhuzzy: 8:48am On Jun 20, 2021
Currently in a similar situation, working as a marketer in a bank and because I don't see any career prospect for me in this line I was considering a move to providus entry level... Same age as you and 2 years bank experience.
Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by stephano100(m): 3:59pm On Aug 13, 2023
OSCARTM:

Key rules in Nigeria banking industry.........

Never do a parallel grade movement between banks, always take at least a grade higher at the next bank with significant pay rise;

Never stay more than 3yrs in a bank except promotion/notches is guaranteed like Stanbic IBTC & Providus Bank currently, where you get promoted at least once in 3yrs, if your performance is good;

If you are not in Treasury/E-Business/IT related roles, keep moving to other banks to rise through the ladder(that ladder is now like civil service);

Don't be afraid to take up opportunities in "small banks" due to perceived job security in "Big Banks", I'm sure Diamond Bank has taught a lot of bankers a good lesson;

Operations Staff both at branches and HQ are the most vulnerable, don't be comfortable in such unit.

My Advice...........

Stay in bank A; identify, write professional exams & learn skills that are relevant in banking (especially in the units I mentioned above) if you desire to continue your career in banking industry. Banking is sweet if you are in roles that are in high demand, you can easily rise to a managerial position in few years.

Bank B will make you sign a bond of at least 3yrs for that car(most likely a new Kia Rio), you will have to pay the prorated balance whenever you are leaving before the end of the bond period. If you have to move to Bank B, it should be as an experience hire.

Now is the time to acquire skills that can easily get you to SBO before 30yrs of age. Invest in yourself now & you'll be glad you did in few years to come.

Cheers.

Quality advice, wish I saw it earlier.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

To All Recently Sacked Fidelity Staffs. / My Story As An Underemployed Graduate In Lagos / Learning To Drive From Someone Or Going To A Driving School?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.