Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,664 members, 7,801,919 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:54 AM

Bukele: El Salvador Adopts Bitcoin As Legal Tender, The First Country - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Bukele: El Salvador Adopts Bitcoin As Legal Tender, The First Country (23327 Views)

President Bukele Of El Salvador Has Deployed 4000 Soldiers To Three Communities / Protest In El Salvador As Bitcon Crashes After Government Makes It Legal Tender / President Nayib Bukele Takes A Selfie At 74th UNGA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bukele: El Salvador Adopts Bitcoin As Legal Tender, The First Country by Rolly22(m): 10:11pm On Jun 09, 2021
benzene00:
Doesn't change the fact that Bitcoin is going to the core earth grin grin >:

Dip

Keep Dreaming
Re: Bukele: El Salvador Adopts Bitcoin As Legal Tender, The First Country by Rolly22(m): 10:13pm On Jun 09, 2021
light099:
Lame move.
Just one tweet from Elon Musk and your whole country finance is in jeopardy.

Why not create a stable digital currency like China?
Only a dummy puts a national faith in the volatility of cryptocurrency.
Crypto is only suitable for individual or private organization risk takers, not an official national thing.

The only thing that dips the price are panic sellers who follows Elon Musk's Tweets, with time, people would get over those nonsense Tweets.
Re: Bukele: El Salvador Adopts Bitcoin As Legal Tender, The First Country by Rolly22(m): 10:18pm On Jun 09, 2021
yommen:

If you watch it closely, Ellon Musk's tweets will become useless in the nearest future since he is only playing mind games.

FACT
Re: Bukele: El Salvador Adopts Bitcoin As Legal Tender, The First Country by Prosperlord(m): 10:21pm On Jun 09, 2021
Ekez:
Our country ban crypto but our honorable minister dey trade am secretly � grin grin grin
Them dey deceive zombie everytime.
If you check am no buhari dey trade crypto grin grin grin
here in Nigeria anything that will lift the young generation out of poverty the will ban but secretly engage in it..
Re: Bukele: El Salvador Adopts Bitcoin As Legal Tender, The First Country by OYENIYIJK: 12:34am On Jun 10, 2021
I will visit there next year shocked cool
Re: Bukele: El Salvador Adopts Bitcoin As Legal Tender, The First Country by Ayobami7(m): 7:22am On Jun 10, 2021
NOTED!!!!
Re: Bukele: El Salvador Adopts Bitcoin As Legal Tender, The First Country by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jun 21, 2021
CryptoRepublic1:

You guys are still not getting it,go and read the bill to have the full scope.

Price of goods is still in dollars, so when someone buys or sell,the goods will then be calculated in dollars,but if you chose to pay with btc it's then converted into dollars straight away if the seller so wish.

It's great moves from the country and many other countries will definitely follow suit soon.

I strongly believe that it'll attract a lot of investors to the country very soon.

I no longer have the strength to argue on Nairaland like before but it seems you're not getting the point nor the bill like you claimed.
The new regulation although says using Bitcoin would be optional but yet it is not optional for a firm or seller to accept it. So, if you sell cars, buyers may bring Bitcoin to clear your showroom and you MUST accept it.
Only a crypto novice wouldn't know there is big financial disaster on individual level, central bank and eventually the whole national level in a situation like this.
Then generally crypto transaction fee especially for BTC and ETH is making them more dumber than the FIAT they claimed to have edge over.

Maybe in the future crypto may be good for national adoption but for the moment, it's not the duty of any reasonable government to adopt it nationally, just leave individuals to decide for themselves if they're ready to be involved or not.
Crypto is personal not national.
Government should not adopt it, nor ban it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bukele: El Salvador Adopts Bitcoin As Legal Tender, The First Country by grandstar(m): 2:12pm On Nov 22, 2021
safesurfer:
Goodluck to them. I can't have any opinion on the crypto debate. I'm too broke to have any. Too broke to invest in local currency, too broke to invest in crypto.
So if you're pro or anti-crypto, I don't care. Whatever rocks your boat. angry

Oops, I guess that counts as an opinion undecided

Whats your level of education?

If you're a graduate, why not start an estate agency?
Re: Bukele: El Salvador Adopts Bitcoin As Legal Tender, The First Country by Nobody: 3:55pm On Nov 22, 2021
grandstar:

Whats your level of education?

If you're a graduate, why not start an estate agency?
Maybe sometime in the future. Except there's a way I can start without huge capital as a requirement. You can teach me. I don't mind. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Bukele: El Salvador Adopts Bitcoin As Legal Tender, The First Country by Konquest: 10:36am On Mar 01
HonNL:

El Salvador has become the first country in the world to formally adopt Bitcoin as legal tender after President Nayib Bukele said Congress approved his landmark proposal.

Latin America’s youngest president, who’s known to break from norms, said on Twitter lawmakers approved the legislation by a “supermajority.”

The 39-year-old leader has previously said that Bitcoin could boost the economy, help counter El Salvador’s low banking penetration rate and facilitate faster transfers for $6 billion of remittances a year.

The high-stakes plan to ramp up usage of the volatile currency adds to the bull case, just as the token struggles to recover from last month’s dramatic rout.

Bloomberg
The danger of being a first-mover or adopter in a volatile instrument like BTC is that all that can go wrong will go wrong. BTC value eventually went south for some time, but the young President got reelected in February 2024 due to his massive crackdown on several alleged drug gangs and criminals thereby lowering that country's homicide rate from decades-long highs.

=>https://www.forbes.com/sites/digital-assets/2024/02/05/el-salvador-embraces-future-with-bitcoin-as-bukele-secures-historic-victory/

This story emphasizes the need to ONLY invest what you can afford to lose in volatile instruments, NEVER invest all your life savings. Period.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

South African Army Deploy In Cape Town - Local Drug Wars / 'We Are Living In Fear' -Nigerians In South Africa Cry Out / German Economy Plunges Into Recession Over COVID-19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.