Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,034 members, 7,807,092 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:25 AM

Hearing Strange Voices Sign Of Schizophrenia, Not Madness –mental Health Experts - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Hearing Strange Voices Sign Of Schizophrenia, Not Madness –mental Health Experts (297 Views)

Woman Diagnosed With Rare Condition That Prevents Her From Hearing MALE Voices / How God Healed My Brother Of Schizophrenia And Catatonic Seizures. / Eating After 6pm Dangerous To Health - Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hearing Strange Voices Sign Of Schizophrenia, Not Madness –mental Health Experts by prof2007: 10:03pm On Jun 10, 2021
Medical experts have said hearing strange voices and seeing unusual things is a symptom of schizophrenia and not ‘madness’, as many Nigerians assume, noting that the medical condition affects a person’s ability to think, feel and behave properly.

The experts also stated that a recent study suggested about 1.86m people suffer from schizophrenia in Nigeria. 0The experts were reacting to recent reports that hardship and frustrations are fuelling schizophrenia and other mental health challenges in the country.

According to the experts, a recent study by the World Health Organisation has confirmed that schizophrenia is a chronic and severe mental disorder affecting 20 million people worldwide. The health condition, they said, is characterised by distortions in thinking, perception, emotions and language, as well as hallucinations and delusions.

Speaking with PUNCH HealthWise, Director of Pharmacy and Head of Dept, Federal Neuro-Psychiatric Hospital , Yaba, Mrs. Olawunmi Peters, disclosed recent research has suggested about 1.86m people suffer from schizophrenia in Nigeria. She explained that people with schizophrenia require lifelong treatment.

“The person with this disorder hears and sees things in clear consciousness, which other people can’t hear or see. In some cases patients may exhibit a deficit of functions such as lack of motivation, reduced speech, social withdrawal, or bluntness of effect,” Peters said.

She recalled a particular patient who strongly believed that her first son used a hammer to drive nails into her skull every day. She added that, even in the face of contrary evidence, the woman refused to believe otherwise. “The patient would often be seen laughing to herself for no reason, and at times becomes very angry, telling her friends that her family wanted her dead. At some point, she became restless and suspicious and refused to eat for days.

“She also described hearing voices abusing her and discussing her actions; and no matter how much you tried to talk her out of it, she was still experiencing these distressing symptoms,” Peters said. The director noted that a patient suffering from schizophrenia can only become violent when he or she is in the acute phase of the illness. “And this usually happens when the condition remains untreated. Many patients who receive treatment are actually able to function well in society and build careers, especially when they are compliant with their medications and therapy sessions.

“Can you imagine how disconcerting it can be when your live experience or reality is doubted by everyone around you and no matter how much you try to explain that you hear these voices, they insist that you are unwell?

“Yet, you have no fever, no headache, no body pain, or any other measurable signs. This is the reality of so many schizophrenic patients and we can’t blame them for their condition because they did not choose to have schizophrenia,” she said. Peters added that, with adequate interventions from the clinical psychiatrists, pharmacists, nurses, psychologists, occupational therapists and social workers, individuals with schizophrenia can live a normal life.

NIGERIA HAS 100,000 NEW CASES OF SCHIZOPHRENIA YEARLY
Consultant clinical pharmacist and National Chairman, Association of Hospital and Administrative Pharmacists of Nigeria, Dr. Kingsley Amibor, disclosed that in a population of over 200m, Nigeria accounts for 100,000 new cases of schizophrenia on yearly basis.

“It is often triggered in late adolescent age, around 19 to 20 years. Some may not be detected till they are in their early 30s, with symptoms like false belief (illusion), hallucination, while some have fixed mindsets. There is nothing you can tell them that they will believe. Also, 48% of identical twins risk having schizophrenia. We are not saying all the children will have it but there is a risk that some will have it and environmental factors and viral infections play a role,” Amibor said.

His view was corroborated by the Deputy Director in charge of Pharmacy at FNPH, Yaba, Dr. OyetunjiAjayi. Ajayi disclosed that drug abuse or long-time substance use might trigger schizophrenia. “This condition can be treated or reversed. Schizophrenia is not a direct cause of death for anybody but the condition might get worse if they don’t get the required treatment or medication.

“Where I work, we have over 50,000 new cases annually. In the times of COVID-19, we had an average of 10-15 new cases daily and this is because it is people that know that the condition is treatable that come for treatment,” she said.

SOURCE (abridged): https://healthwise.punchng.com/hearing-strange-voices-sign-of-schizophrenia-not-madness-mental-health-experts/
Re: Hearing Strange Voices Sign Of Schizophrenia, Not Madness –mental Health Experts by peteregwu(m): 10:20pm On Jun 10, 2021
How could someone be hearing a strange voices and you are giving it a scientific name. Omo, that's a demonic spirit. I ha e someone suffering from it and prayer was made for him and the spirit left him. The spirit was actually leading her to suicide but she was ministered unto with gods word and prayers and she was set free. Till now, the voice was gone and she doing well.

Even though not everyone would believe it but that my own take anyway.
Re: Hearing Strange Voices Sign Of Schizophrenia, Not Madness –mental Health Experts by Matheusmartin: 1:58am On Jun 11, 2021
peteregwu:
How could someone be hearing a strange voices and you are giving it a scientific name. Omo, that's a demonic spirit. I ha e someone suffering from it and prayer was made for him and the spirit left him. The spirit was actually leading her to suicide but she was ministered unto with gods word and prayers and she was set free. Till now, the voice was gone and she doing well.

Even though not everyone would believe it but that my own take anyway.
On your behalf, I dey shame..
cry
Re: Hearing Strange Voices Sign Of Schizophrenia, Not Madness –mental Health Experts by peteregwu(m): 10:19pm On Jun 11, 2021
Matheusmartin:
On your behalf, I dey shame..
cry

Me too, on your behalf your shame is shaming me.

(1) (Reply)

You Want To Look Younger And Healthy Naturally? / Vapx Violet YK1 Review: After A Month Vaping With The Vapx YK1 / Buy Cheap Data And Testify

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.