Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,795 members, 7,798,682 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:27 AM

My Visa Denial Experience: What You Should Avoid - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Visa Denial Experience: What You Should Avoid (46347 Views)

How Long Does Embassy Keep Record Of Visa Denial / Is My Visa Agent A Scam? / Just Got My Visa To Travel To Germany For Work, I Am Having Cold Feet. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Visa Denial Experience: What You Should Avoid by canadaddy: 11:52pm On Jun 10, 2021
My US visa application was denied recently and based on this experience, I decided to share tips on what you should avoid when applying for US visa or any visa at all. I believe all my readers can learn a thing or two from this.

So let’s start with general overview of any visa application;

Almost all visa applications begins with completing an electronic/online or paper form, which in my case was the D160 form.

The form will asks for information from your passport, date of previous travel, work experience, education history among other questions. You may also be required to provide username of your social media accounts used in the past 5 years.

To avoid any mishap and have a successful application, I have listed a few tips below you should adhere to starting from the point you start filling out the visa application form to the visa interview room.

1. If you are asked to submit your social media account username

Make sure you clean your social media page off anything that suggest violence, religious extremism, homophobia etc.

2. Pay attention to details and avoid error

Your information should be correct and complete. Check dates and check for typographical errors. Make sure you have not made any spelling errors.

3. Do not provide any information you cannot defend

You must be able to provide evidence to support what you put on your application form. For instance if you claim your sister is your sponsor, you have to prove family ties and also prove that the person is capable of sponsoring you.

4. Do not memorize answers to questions

It is okay to go online for sample questions and answers but do not memorize because the visa officer may not ask what you expect and if you have memorized a certain pattern of questions, it may throw you off balance. Also your answer may sound rehearsed which gives the consular a red flag.

Just be yourself and be prepared for any question.

5. Do not give information you are not asked

Some people may be out of confidence or nervousness starts to give more than they are asked. Make sure your answer is brief and direct.

6. Do not give answer that will trigger additional question

This is almost the same thing as point number 5. When you over talk, you give the visa officer more points to ask questions from.

7. Consistency of information

Whatever you provide in your online form and what you say during your interview must be consistent. You have to conform to whatever you provide in your form.

Even if after submitting your application, you feel you have not answered a particular question well, do not change your answer in the interview room. Be consistent.

8. Don’t overly dress

If you have gone for interview before you will attest to this, people come with different outfits, you will different people like traditional chiefs, nuns, catholic priests, pastors, police, army officers etc. They all come in their full regalia and still they are denied.

Dress simple and normal. You do not need to dress to kill.

9. Get help

Some people are able to do their application themselves perfectly while for some they need some experienced hands especially if it is your first time.

So you need guidance and direction from capable and reliable people. This sector is over saturated by people who claim to know how to package travel documents. Please do your due diligence and get the right hand to help with your visa application.

I wish you good luck with your migration dreams

Source: https://liveincanada.com.ng/2021/06/10/my-visa-application-denial-experience-things-you-must-avoid/

258 Likes 36 Shares

Re: My Visa Denial Experience: What You Should Avoid by Nuelito: 11:58pm On Jun 10, 2021
Nice article...thanks for sharing bro

86 Likes 9 Shares

Re: My Visa Denial Experience: What You Should Avoid by rex444(m): 4:18am On Jun 11, 2021
Only in Nigeria you will see someone going to apply for Philippines visa go soak chaplet for water ...

110 Likes 9 Shares

Re: My Visa Denial Experience: What You Should Avoid by JeffreyJunior: 4:59am On Jun 11, 2021
All the points are very solid.

This thread needs to make frontpage for many people to learn.

Overdressed and overconfident people usually have problem at visa interviews especially US Visa interviews.

Good job.

74 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Visa Denial Experience: What You Should Avoid by SocialJustice: 6:27am On Jun 11, 2021
Lalasticlala, you never wake? There's good food here for japa geng.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Visa Denial Experience: What You Should Avoid by Vulcanheph(m): 7:37am On Jun 11, 2021
This is good.... This thread is very useful oh, especially now that Buhari has made this country very unlivable

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Visa Denial Experience: What You Should Avoid by iamyemiakins(m): 7:50am On Jun 11, 2021
Give it up for the OP y'all.

This is a very nice period to come across such an articulate post as this.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Visa Denial Experience: What You Should Avoid by Kingluqman(m): 7:59am On Jun 11, 2021
Thanks so much for this

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Visa Denial Experience: What You Should Avoid by Sikay19(m): 8:17am On Jun 11, 2021
How long does it take an applicant to get an appointment for the interview ?

What's the chance for someone with O'level qualification and employable skill or has gotten employment letter ?

How compulsory is the sponsor part. What if I have proof of sufficient funds ?

Thank you very much .

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Visa Denial Experience: What You Should Avoid by bamisho: 11:01am On Jun 11, 2021
Great tips

Kindly provide the questions you were asked as this will help us

4 Likes

Re: My Visa Denial Experience: What You Should Avoid by templemount: 11:34am On Jun 11, 2021
rex444:
Only in Nigeria you will see someone going to apply for Philippines visa go soak chaplet for water ...
my brethren no be small thing

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Visa Denial Experience: What You Should Avoid by Built2last: 11:48am On Jun 11, 2021
ok
Re: My Visa Denial Experience: What You Should Avoid by candidbabe(f): 11:49am On Jun 11, 2021
Learning
Re: My Visa Denial Experience: What You Should Avoid by TimmyTen(m): 11:49am On Jun 11, 2021
Nice tips….

When I couldn't access Nairaland for almost 2 hours, I thought Lai has called Pantami grin

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Visa Denial Experience: What You Should Avoid by emmabest2000(m): 11:49am On Jun 11, 2021
If you try and fail
Don't fail to try again

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Visa Denial Experience: What You Should Avoid by pulse9ja: 11:50am On Jun 11, 2021
Ehya

Check link below
Re: My Visa Denial Experience: What You Should Avoid by Akoregbelegbe: 11:50am On Jun 11, 2021
Going on it
Re: My Visa Denial Experience: What You Should Avoid by infini771: 11:50am On Jun 11, 2021
Re: My Visa Denial Experience: What You Should Avoid by Agent8706(m): 11:50am On Jun 11, 2021
Nice one!

This information is coming at the very right time for many. The rate at which people are bailing out of the country now, one is still always surprise to still meet people out on the street everyday I go out.

Tribalism, corruption and now nepotism and terrorism has gunned down every hope of a one Nigeria.

Like my neighbor will always warn, if you see any opportunity to japa out of this country, please don't even wait to waste time packing a bag!

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Visa Denial Experience: What You Should Avoid by ivolt: 11:50am On Jun 11, 2021
canadaddy:

1. If you are asked to submit your social media account username

Make sure you clean your social media page off anything that suggest violence, religious extremism, homophobia etc.
Source: https://liveincanada.com.ng/2021/06/10/my-visa-application-denial-experience-things-you-must-avoid/
Why would anyone sacrifice their freedom of speech because of visa?

8 Likes

Re: My Visa Denial Experience: What You Should Avoid by Justinlean02(m): 11:50am On Jun 11, 2021
Thoughtful of you to share
Re: My Visa Denial Experience: What You Should Avoid by EnlightenedUFO: 11:51am On Jun 11, 2021
This will be good information for some patriots in umudike
Re: My Visa Denial Experience: What You Should Avoid by FASTLINK1: 11:52am On Jun 11, 2021
Was hoping to read your experience, good tips
Re: My Visa Denial Experience: What You Should Avoid by tobenuel(m): 11:52am On Jun 11, 2021
I'm still reading your write up bruv, cos I gat plans of moving soonish

1 Like

Re: My Visa Denial Experience: What You Should Avoid by Dhavido(m): 11:52am On Jun 11, 2021
Just baff soap, burn candles, drink water, rub powder and pray. Them no go deny you

8 Likes

Re: My Visa Denial Experience: What You Should Avoid by stunnert(m): 11:52am On Jun 11, 2021
Just smoke better SK before you go for the interview

4 Likes

Re: My Visa Denial Experience: What You Should Avoid by dododawa1: 11:52am On Jun 11, 2021
List for japa and poverty ones.
Re: My Visa Denial Experience: What You Should Avoid by stupidmod3: 11:52am On Jun 11, 2021
dont flirt with d interviewer grin

1 Like

Re: My Visa Denial Experience: What You Should Avoid by Gkay1(m): 11:53am On Jun 11, 2021
Nowadays na connection matter not interview

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bride-to-be & Her Fiance Die In Auto Crash Enroute To Lagos From PH / The Corpse Of Sunday Ajayi, Anambra FRSC Commander Who Died In Accident / Photos From The Accident Along Lekki Ajah Road This Evening

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.